When is it time to let go of a reunion or an older lineup?

saber_

Axl is the only one desperately working against any form of a re-union, working against what the general public wants!

this is a sad part/fact. i can live with that because his voice is so weak, that i dont really wanna hear him live next to Slash's killer guitar sound on let's say SCOM anymore. the more sad part is that any release from the old band is goin to be blocked by the Axl camp! back then when they were on top (and remember they've professional filmed all 192 UYI shows + tons of doumentary footage) - that would be the main goal for things to be released an to be enjoyed by the fans.

• Like 1

Let's not forget Axl has gone on record saying he literally sat in a room for 13 years and didn't release anything because Slash and Duff called him a loser. LOL wtf??? That didn't help GNR either.

To illustrate how pathetic this band is, remember about 12 months ago how one of the band's Brazilian coattail riders took a photo of the band backstage and the GNR community lost their shit and went wild because of a new "official photo" of the band. You could almost hear the fapping coming out of your pc's speakers. Whilst other bands are out releasing music staying active, a "big" release for this band is a photo from backstage lol.

Axl will keep running the band into the ground until he retires or drops. There will be no reunion. For a person who is troubled to the level that Axl is, this is not even a possibility.

This band is hilarious. How's that DVD launch going? rofl.

Let's not forget Axl has gone on record saying he literally sat in a room for 13 years and didn't release anything because Slash and Duff called him a loser. LOL wtf??? That didn't help GNR either.

To illustrate how pathetic this band is, remember about 12 months ago how one of the band's Brazilian coattail riders took a photo of the band backstage and the GNR community lost their shit and went wild because of a new "official photo" of the band. You could almost hear the fapping coming out of your pc's speakers. Whilst other bands are out releasing music staying active, a "big" release for this band is a photo from backstage lol.

Axl will keep running the band into the ground until he retires or drops. There will be no reunion. For a person who is troubled to the level that Axl is, this is not even a possibility.

This band is hilarious. How's that DVD launch going? rofl.

So it's safe to say you've given up on a reunion as well? :lol:

It's time to let go when they are incapable of doing it.

Admittedly, it's a long shot and I'm not waiting for it. But there is one thing preventing it and that's the current content of Axl's mind.

I think the other guys understand this now in a very mature way, and hope he can let go and stabilise, both for him personally and to increase the likelihood of reconciliation/reunion.

Everyone has a nostalgic love for the various previous incarnations of Guns n' Roses. There are fanboys of Slash, Buckethead, Robin, Steven, and hell- the list goes on. But at what point is it time to accept the present and have faith in the creative process? Oh I know what you're going to say: "when I get a new fuckin record! " Fair enough, but still... at some point you must come to terms with Axl's trajectory and creative vision. When is it time to let go of a reunion or an older lineup?

More pertinent question would be when is it time to let go of a new album from this line-up?

• Like 1

Maybe Axl wanted a temporary reunion in 2006 as a cashgrab to fund the release of CD? Like a special "2-shows-only" deal for the Apollo and Download gigs, film them, sell them, release CD, then maybe milk it again a few years down the line? It's more lucrative to have multiple reunions, that's why Brian Wilson got kicked out of The Beach Boys again.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Didn't Universal cut off funding around this time? Axl perhaps figured that he could do 2 big shows with the old band, do killer business with ticket avd DVD sales and pump the proceeds into his own project. But after the rest of the guys figured out they were just there as employees, they bailed.

As for the original question, i think after the HOF was time to give up. That seemed to be the last big chance for it to happen. Now it's just a question of how much nothing Axl will do.

That lineup has been dead since Duff left in '97 (inb4 it died with Adler leaving, inb4 it died with Izzy leaving, inb4 it died with Slash leaving). It's been made clear Axl doesn't want to until Slash apologises, and the day Slash does that is the day Volcano posts an open letter to Slash in the subforum confessing love for him and his post GNR shit Music, including Five O'Clock. We've seen that the lineups since 1999 can not only play the fuck out of the songs but they record some kick ass music on their own.

Why, at this point, would a reunion even matter? Why would we want the band to keep reverting instead of doing new stuff?

There was an article in Classic Rock Magazine, back in 2006 I believe, that Axl approached the other former members about doing 2 gigs...Download Festival and the Hammersmith...the shows were supposed to be recorded for a CD and DVD release and the boys were to make a boatload of $$$ from the concerts and media release..........The only catch was for Axl to agree to do the shows he wanted the others to sign over their rights to the Guns back catalog to him which for obvious reasons killed the deal.

Don't shoot the messenger here I am only reporting what the article states and make no claims that this actually happened.

Edited by classicrawker

Because the new band isn't doing stuff and because if they are just going to do old stuff we might as well get the original people doing it.

If we were getting new stuff, reunion talk would simmer down a lot. However, we gave Axl his time, little has come from it, and even though a reunion is never going to happen that is what we should hope for and talk about. There's absolutely no reason not to.

Honestly, a reunion is as valid of a topic as new music. Both will never happen and Axl is dictating both of them.

Maybe Axl wanted a temporary reunion in 2006 as a cashgrab to fund the release of CD? Like a special "2-shows-only" deal for the Apollo and Download gigs, film them, sell them, release CD, then maybe milk it again a few years down the line? It's more lucrative to have multiple reunions, that's why Brian Wilson got kicked out of The Beach Boys again.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Didn't Universal cut off funding around this time?

also remember when Universal cut him off Axl sold his publishing rights for about 17 Mio $$.

my guess is he'd never done that by nature, meaning....there was and still might be money problems in the Axl camp.

not unsurprisingly though judged by all the releases and actions from the camp....

This actually makes a lot of sense. Didn't Universal cut off funding around this time?

also remember when Universal cut him off Axl sold his publishing rights for about 17 Mio $$.

my guess is he'd never done that by nature, meaning....there was and still might be money problems in the Axl camp.

not unsurprisingly though judged by all the releases and actions from the camp....

The publishing deal - wasn't that when Sanctuary was involved? Not sure when Universal absorbed it, maybe they just honored GNR's contract or the contract had to be renegotiate. I'm sure somebody knows but they can't say.

Because the new band isn't doing stuff and because if they are just going to do old stuff we might as well get the original people doing it.

If we were getting new stuff, reunion talk would simmer down a lot. However, we gave Axl his time, little has come from it, and even though a reunion is never going to happen that is what we should hope for and talk about. There's absolutely no reason not to.

Honestly, a reunion is as valid of a topic as new music. Both will never happen and Axl is dictating both of them.

Perfect post.

Release a couple albums. Play at least half your shows with new material. Then let's talk about whether we should STFU about reunions. Or is Axl simply aware his well is dry since CD kerplunked in the terlet?

But they aren't just doing old stuff. They released a record 5 years ago and songs off that record has been heavily featured in setlists these last years.

But they aren't just doing old stuff. They released a record 5 years ago and songs off that record has been heavily featured in setlists these last years.

No, we had the same 4 or 5 songs from CD. And everything else is either covers or old GN´R songs

No, we had the same 4 or 5 songs from CD. And everything else is either covers or old GN´R songs

I have no idea what you are talking about. The "new band" is simply not "just going to do old stuff" (=songs from before CD), as classicguns4life claimed, and hence his conclusion (that they might as well reunite) is flawed.

Edited by SoulMonster

Didn't they only play a couple songs off of CD during the last leg of the last tour?

And haven't they been playing CD and SOD for over a decade now?

I think the average was 3-4 during the last leg, but I could be wrong (can't be bothered to check it out), and yes, some songs off CD was played prior to CD. Still, GN'R since the UYI lineup died has released new music and showcased these on tours, hence the argument that they "just do old stuff" is flawed and so is the conclusion.

• Like 1

The only time frame there's ever been a remote delicate balance between old songs and nu songs in the setlist was between 09-10. Since then, they've been playing less and less of the nu songs to the point where we're at maybe 3-4 nu songs a night.

And even when you consider those songs, half of the current nu guys had very little-nothing to do with those songs creatively.

I never expected Axl to stop playing old songs. But I did imagine by now that there would be an equal balance between the crowd pleasers and nu stuff. Instead, the old stuff is still very heavily relied on as a life line. Now more than ever.

If all they're gonna do from here on in is mostly just gonna cover the old stuff for the 90% of "gnr" songs they play, can't really hold it against people for still rather having the actual methods to the madness up there instead. What's the point if Axl is not gonna move it anymore forward? And right now, based on the "actions speak louder than words" concept, that does seen to be the case...

Sadly for fans, neither a reunion or new music is likely to happen (again, unless it's leaked or milked after Axl's death).

• Like 1

I have no idea what you are talking about. The "new band" is simply not "just going to do old stuff" (=songs from before CD), as classicguns4life claimed, and hence his conclusion (that they might as well reunite) is flawed.

You said they played songs from CD heavily. When have they played 8 or more songs from CD? I´d rather have more songs from CD than the Pink Panther or C.S.I. stuff. Basically from CD they played CD, Sorry, Street of Dreams, Madagascar, This I Love, Better but not much more. Sure in a show here and there they Played CITR or If The World. It isn´t much during a 3 years tour. In 2011 they added Estranged. Why not Prostitute and TWAT instead on the regular bases?

I have never met someone over 30 who was around for or saw the AFD/UYI lineups that doesn't want a reunion. People formed attachments to the AFD/UYI lineups and they want to see them play again even if they know it won't be as special as the first time around. People are going to want a reunion until one of those band members passes away and even that might not stop folks. Fans still want to see the remaining members of Led Zep,Pantera and many other bands playing together again.

Edited by xGNRxSTARx

Any (.0000001%) chance would be some one off. Like if an Elton John had some benefit and requested/asked Axl for the favor etc..... As far as "letting go"? Never dude- ill always have hope my favorite and the best band ever reunites. Guns was an awesome, epic band.

Edited by Snowmass

When their replacement has been in the band longer than they were.

That means....

Izzy 6 years 1985-1991

Tommy 15 years 1998

Duff 12 years 1985-1997

Richard 11 years 2002

So right now, No hope for Izzy and no hope for Duff in two years.

Slash still has a chance, as does Steve or Matt.

You said they played songs from CD heavily. When have they played 8 or more songs from CD? I´d rather have more songs from CD than the Pink Panther or C.S.I. stuff. Basically from CD they played CD, Sorry, Street of Dreams, Madagascar, This I Love, Better but not much more. Sure in a show here and there they Played CITR or If The World. It isn´t much during a 3 years tour. In 2011 they added Estranged. Why not Prostitute and TWAT instead on the regular bases?

CITR was regular in 2012, TWAT was played a few times.

2009 and 2010 they played a lot of CD songs, lately they don't even play SOD, and Sorry and Madagascar are becoming less frequent..

Didn't they only play a couple songs off of CD during the last leg of the last tour?

And haven't they been playing CD and SOD for over a decade now?

SOD, Madagascar, and CD have been played at most shows, since 2001.

Riad was played 01/02 and hasn't been since then.

Better, TWAT, and IRS have been played from 2006-2010 regularly. Better was regular until 2012, since only appears sporadically, and TWAT was played a few times in 2012. Shackler's was a regular from 2009-2011.

Scraped was played in 2011 once.

Prostitute has not been played since 2009, Riad since 2002, IRS since 2010, ITW since 2010 or 2011,