Ultimate Classic Rock: Five "Chinese Democracy" Songs You Need to Hear Again

Guest NGOG

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/chinese-democracy-songs/?trackback=twitter_mobile

GNR.jpg

The 17 years full of hype, rumors, and personnel changes eliminated any chance Guns N’ Roses‘ 2008 album ‘Chinese Democracy’ ever had of getting a fair, unbiased shot from most of the listening public.

Now, we’re not here to try and convince you this now five-year-old LP is a masterpiece. But at the very least, it does contain many innovative and exciting songs that are well worth a second listen. You can hear the best of those on our list of Five Guns N’ Roses ‘Chinese Democracy’ Songs You Need to Hear Again:

'Sorry'

For all the jokes made about 'Chinese Democracy''s long gestation process -- and let's be honest the production credits look like something out of an 'Avengers' movie -- on songs like this you can see where at least some of that time and money went. 'Sorry' is dynamic, nuanced and atmospheric, with a chorus that achieves a newly sophisticated level of heaviness.

'Better'

The best moments on 'Chinese Democracy' find Axl Rose diving deeper into the twisting long form experimentation of 'Use Your Illusion' epics like 'Estranged,' but as songs like the title track and 'Better' prove, he could still bring the riff-rock too. We did you a favor and skipped ahead to the most exciting sixty seconds of the entire album, a cathartic emotional explosion that successfully brings the electro-rock thrills only hinted at by 'Oh My God' and 'My World.'

'This I Love'

'Appetite for Destruction' purists be damned, the influence of Elton John and Queen clearly beats strongly within Rose. On this baroque piano-based heartbreaker, he demonstrates once again that there are very few artists who can bring drama into rock and roll better than he can. Also suggested: the highly cinematic, very daring 'If the World.'

'I.R.S.'

Sometimes, the wheel doesn't need to be re-invented. This churning two-toned rocker doesn't really do anything we didn't already hear on the 'Use Your Illusion' albums. But the way Rose's distinct rasp fits in so perfectly with the familiar guitar crunch on this infectiously catchy chorus would have made 'I.R.S.' one of that collection's clear high points, too.

'Prostitute'

The last five songs on 'Chinese Democracy' are uniformly impressive -- you can blame our Twitter followers for choosing this over the equally worthy 'Madagascar,' by the way -- and this alternately ruminative and explosive track ends the album in an extremely thrilling manner. And it makes us curious to see what the band comes up with next. We've just learned not to set any timetables on when that might happen.

Edited by NGOG

Guest cbgnr666

The further this album is removed from its initial baggage,"How long it took too come out" "Who's playing or not playing on the Album" and all the other hoopla, the better.

Sweet article, but DO NOT listen to this version of it:

GNR.jpg

unless you're fully prepared to jump through plenty of hoops to do so.

What the problem with the vinyl? I just got a turntable set up and was thinking of checking it out.

I could write a book on what's wrong with the vinyl haha. The short version is that it's probably the worst example of inner groove distortion in the history of vinyl LPs.

Good article but where's TWAT?

Yeah, agreed. Hard to believe that's, at best, the 6th best song on that album. Come on.

I have two observations about that list :

#1 - I.R.S.

I love this song and have loved it since that first 30 second leak we got way back when. It is absolutely one of my favorite songs on the album and think it should be a live staple. Amazingly, I see a lot of people shitting on it. I don't get it. Its more of a straightforward rocker and the lyrics are pretty good. Love that it made list.

#2 - Sorry.

On the other hand, I am appalled this song made the list. This song, to me, represents the worst of Axl Rose. Extremely heavy on the "woe is me". But even more than that, its so petty and juvenile. I never for one second doubted he harbored these feelings about the old band, but actually committing it to record just makes him look like the petty and small caricature most see him as.

I love my vinyl version of CD, there is a mistake during the beginning of if the world and it skips a head a few seconds. But only a few seconds. Other than that I think it sounds awesome, better than the CD or mp3 versions. I do not agree with this assertion that the vinyl is crap. Its my preferred way to listen to it.

My 5 would be :

Shackler's Revenge

Street Of Dreams

There Was A Time

I.R.S.

Prostitute

If I was trying to give someone that had never heard the album the best chance of liking it, that's my 5.

If it had to be from the album only - I'd go for:

Shackler's Revenge

Better

Prostitute

TWAT

Sorry

If I could make my own, I'd include:

Oh My God, IRS (1999 version) and perhaps the best of them all, Catcher in the rye (1999)

Edited by ColdHeartBreaker

Agreed on the choices mentioned in the article.

But believe it or not, I'll add chinese democracy to it. I love the song, it's like welcome to the jungle 2!! powerful sound effects in the building, the buildup, the axl screech, etc. I just love the way it sounds. It'd be a good sports warm up song.

As a matter of fact the Hartford Wolf pack warmed up to the song, but unfortunately, they played the demo version. Hopefully Axl doesn't know :P

I love my vinyl version of CD, there is a mistake during the beginning of if the world and it skips a head a few seconds. But only a few seconds. Other than that I think it sounds awesome, better than the CD or mp3 versions. I do not agree with this assertion that the vinyl is crap. Its my preferred way to listen to it.

You struck it rich in that case. I went through over 10 copies to get a decent sounding pressing and I still have to use a micro-line stylus to get the inner tracks to sound good.