BUMBLEFOOT: If I Have To Choose Between GUNS N' ROSES And The Rest Of My Life, I'm Out

gunsguy

I think Ron maybe joined Guns to fund his side projects not realising the drama that has always surrounded this band. He has had a few tantrums over the last few years so I wouldn't be surprised if he did leave.

Off topic, I saw the Dead Daisies last night with Black Star Riders, they were great. :headbang:

Edited by axlsend

Of course it suits Ron more to get more material out, Axl has more to lose, more to live up, more to second guess.

Axl has nothing to lose at this point, nothing to second guess and really nothing to live up to anymore. CD tanked in such epic fashion with the public that Axl is pretty much on a clean slate, minus the use of the name of course. But more releases whether bad, medicore, good or great at least gives validation for a post Slash Gun N' Roses. The more he sits around and releases nothing the more people look at him as a failure without Slash. people look at what he's done and think "What was the point?"

• Like 2

So it sounds like the Guns tour got postponed bc of Fortus?

I can't imagine that being true unless Axl just planned to use this as an excuse. That's the whole point of hired hands - you say jump, they ask his high.

Fortus is either out right lying or TB and Axl are blowing smoke up his ass.

Edited by Dariablue

Its kind of like when the champs gets knocked out, s it best to just quit or kewp coming back for a beating for the money. To me it seems like Axl quit in the 90s but hes still on the grind. Its not about fireworks anymore.

Of course it suits Ron more to get more material out, Axl has more to lose, more to live up, more to second guess.

Axl has nothing to lose at this point, nothing to second guess and really nothing to live up to anymore. CD tanked in such epic fashion with the public that Axl is pretty much on a clean slate, minus the use of the name of course. But more releases whether bad, medicore, good or great at least gives validation for a post Slash Gun N' Roses. The more he sits around and releases nothing the more people look at him as a failure without Slash. people look at what he's done and think "What was the point?"
CD was good though, so fo throw out crap would be mistake. CD reset the clock so we will wait.

At this point I just really want the guy to leave GNR and go back to his solo thing. It's obvious Axl isn't going to write music with him, so he'd probably be better off just writing more solo albums and touring his own thing.

What will we be stuck with if he leaves though? Bumblefoot is a lot of people's favorite current GnR member besides Axl. If he leaves, that means we will have Dj as lead and fortus as rhythm guitar. Unless axl brings someone else in. I can't see axl bringing in someone new again, he will probably try to get Buckethead or Finck back.

Which Buckethead or Finck would be fine, but people in the band have made it clear they only want one guitarist.... What if axl listens to them and Dj becomes the one and only lead?

In all honesty, I'm trying to be somewhat unbiased because I think Ron Thal is phoney, insincere, and his music sucks. But GNR management are uneducated assholes too, and I'm sure it's no picnic being associated with Axl or any of his people outside the paycheck it provides.

Keep in mind, BBF joined a band that he was never a fan of. Did so to gain exposure for himself. Is aware that he wasn't Axl's first choice for a guitar player - and probably knows damn well that Axl likes him as little as he likes Axl. So sue me, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for a man that put this supposed successful solo career on the back-burner so he could cover Slash's licks in a GNR tribute band for the past 7+ years.

I have heard several people, who are familiar with Thal, state that this guy isn't exactly how he comes off to the fanbase (Poor Mr. Nice Guy who loves the fans). We've personally got to watch him flip shit at fans who called him out for being in the band for the exact reasons that he really is ($$). Let's also not forget how he's insulted our intelligence more than once by coming here to play damage control. "I was just teasing him, guys." Yeah, dude. Sure you were.

Plus, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way how Ron implied that GNR is holding him back. Now, he may have had opportunities to do some small club tours, but nothing that was as lucrative financially as playing in GNR. Plus, no one is breaking his arm to stay. If he's got these gigs booked and Axl decides to perform another SA nostalgia tour, is it Axl's fault that BBF is willing to drop this amazing solo venture of his to run off with Axl and cover Slash''s licks every time? C'mon ..

Just my two cents here, but this is all such a load of fucking shit. Mean, petty, vindictive, cynical shit.

BBF ain't complaining about GNR holding him back financially. Ron has a problem because he's a man who loves to record, release, and perform music, and GNR has been stalling him on all three of those fronts.

No one'a breaking his arm to stay? You're fucking kidding, right? Ron's fully aware that if he were to say "fuck it, I'm not going to this one" to a Guns tour, he'd be screwing over several thousand people and having all the blame for it fall directly on him. That's not smart professionally to make yourself known as the guy who blew a GNR tour, and it'd probably weigh on him personally as well.

So he doesn't really care about the fans, that's what you heard from a few guys who've heard some things? Fuck it then. I don't care. I don't care if he's faking it. I don't care if he's laughing to himself after he responds to all the messages fans send him online. If that's all fake, then that's a good enough fake that I have nothing to be angry about. Fuck you if you think he's faking it. He's not a nice guy 100% of the time, no one is, but he's treated us better than anyone else associated with this band and he doesn't deserve to be called a fucking phony for that.

And he doesn't deserve to be "called out" by some fucking nobody from the forums when he drops in to visit. He doesn't deserve to be disrespected when he's the first band member to visit the forum in years. He was a goddamn guest, don't you people understand the basic rules of hospitality? How you treat a fucking guest when they visit your home? Have some common fucking courtesy and maybe the man won't get pissed off at you.

Ha.

You can call it mean, petty, and vindictive all you like. I call it taking off the rose colored glasses and looking at reality in a nutshell.

And, I never stated that Ron is crying that GNR is holding him back "financially". I only said that he implied that they are holding him back. I just pointed out how much less he would bring in should he actually carry through with one of these many empty threats and leave to pursue these half-filled solo club tours that he supposedly wants so desperately.

You say he's a "man who loves to record", huh? It seems to me (and I assume others) that he's had plenty of opportunity to walk away from this this Nu GNR dog and pony show, if that were actually the case. For years, he's opted to place his "love of recording" on the back-burner so he could cash in on another band's legacy. Let's call a spade a spade, bro. Ron wasn't very successful prior to his time in Guns. This touring tribute act opened doors that he wanted and needed open. If you believe that the only reason he has stayed is because he doesn't want his departure to lead to fans being disappointed, I think you're somewhat naïve and, unfortunately, Thal has got you hook, line, and seeker (which is probably his ultimate goal in making these empty threats so public to begin with - gain public support).

As far as your argument about "how great he is to the fans", if you say so. Personally, I've never been a fan of any artist just because they're nice. Fuck nice. Plus, we've got to see the real Ron right here on this forum. The "fuck GNR" Ron. The "I'm just teasing, guys" Ron. The "I'm going to get nasty because fans are asking me questions that I don't like and making fair assumptions about why I'm in GNR in the first place" Ron. Not such a cool, fan-loving dude when pressed with any kind of truth. Sure... he's great for the very few fans who take an interest in his guitar foot wankery or to the even fewer who actually take an interest in things that he has to say outside of GNR.

To address your last point, he's supposedly been a member of a "band" for 7 years. His claim to fame is this band. When he can't answer band-related questions because he's not informed of the answer, he should just say that "Axl doesn't tell us" instead of going on one of his whiney-ass, public tirades about how he will drag your ass into a court of law and sue you. If he starts talking shit, he should be prepared to take shit. Let's not forget, he's the replacement's replacement in a defunct rock n roll band. For many, that may not warrant the highest respect. Especially when the individual in question is known to flip shit when he doesn't get his way or people don't praise him properly.

Personally, I hope he does leave. But I say that he doesn't have the balls to. He'll continue placing the paycheck before this supposed artistic integrity that some of you like to pretend that he has. Call it mean all you like, but I call it true, nonetheless.

Edited by Kush
  • Like 1

To me its more about the sound of the band. It would be a different less prog GNR. Axl n Dj just seem like a more charismatic package. Fortus is cool but more low key.

I get what Ron is saying, but in the context of GNR its a worthless cause.

In both cases its all about Axl to me at this point.

Any musician with total and utter artistic integrity would have jumped ship many years ago. Ron has been in the band for seven years and not one song that he has written with them has been released. He even says that the band have not even written as a collective. SEVEN YEARS and all he has done is added overdubs on other people's material and toured playing other people's songs.

In all honesty, I'm trying to be somewhat unbiased because I think Ron Thal is phoney, insincere, and his music sucks. But GNR management are uneducated assholes too, and I'm sure it's no picnic being associated with Axl or any of his people outside the paycheck it provides.

Keep in mind, BBF joined a band that he was never a fan of. Did so to gain exposure for himself. Is aware that he wasn't Axl's first choice for a guitar player - and probably knows damn well that Axl likes him as little as he likes Axl. So sue me, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for a man that put this supposed successful solo career on the back-burner so he could cover Slash's licks in a GNR tribute band for the past 7+ years.

I have heard several people, who are familiar with Thal, state that this guy isn't exactly how he comes off to the fanbase (Poor Mr. Nice Guy who loves the fans). We've personally got to watch him flip shit at fans who called him out for being in the band for the exact reasons that he really is ($$). Let's also not forget how he's insulted our intelligence more than once by coming here to play damage control. "I was just teasing him, guys." Yeah, dude. Sure you were.

Plus, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way how Ron implied that GNR is holding him back. Now, he may have had opportunities to do some small club tours, but nothing that was as lucrative financially as playing in GNR. Plus, no one is breaking his arm to stay. If he's got these gigs booked and Axl decides to perform another SA nostalgia tour, is it Axl's fault that BBF is willing to drop this amazing solo venture of his to run off with Axl and cover Slash''s licks every time? C'mon ..

Just my two cents here, but this is all such a load of fucking shit. Mean, petty, vindictive, cynical shit.

BBF ain't complaining about GNR holding him back financially. Ron has a problem because he's a man who loves to record, release, and perform music, and GNR has been stalling him on all three of those fronts.

No one'a breaking his arm to stay? You're fucking kidding, right? Ron's fully aware that if he were to say "fuck it, I'm not going to this one" to a Guns tour, he'd be screwing over several thousand people and having all the blame for it fall directly on him. That's not smart professionally to make yourself known as the guy who blew a GNR tour, and it'd probably weigh on him personally as well.

So he doesn't really care about the fans, that's what you heard from a few guys who've heard some things? Fuck it then. I don't care. I don't care if he's faking it. I don't care if he's laughing to himself after he responds to all the messages fans send him online. If that's all fake, then that's a good enough fake that I have nothing to be angry about. Fuck you if you think he's faking it. He's not a nice guy 100% of the time, no one is, but he's treated us better than anyone else associated with this band and he doesn't deserve to be called a fucking phony for that.

And he doesn't deserve to be "called out" by some fucking nobody from the forums when he drops in to visit. He doesn't deserve to be disrespected when he's the first band member to visit the forum in years. He was a goddamn guest, don't you people understand the basic rules of hospitality? How you treat a fucking guest when they visit your home? Have some common fucking courtesy and maybe the man won't get pissed off at you.

Ha.

You can call it mean, petty, and vindictive all you like. I call it taking off the rose colored glasses and looking at reality in a nutshell.

And, I never stated that Ron is crying that GNR is holding him back "financially". I only said that he implied that they are holding him back. I just pointed out how much less he would bring in should he actually carry through with one of these many empty threats and leave to pursue these half-filled solo club tours that he supposedly wants so desperately.

You say he's a "man who loves to record", huh? It seems to me (and I assume others) that he's had plenty of opportunity to walk away from this this Nu GNR dog and pony show, if that were actually the case. For years, he's opted to place his "love of recording" on the back-burner so he could cash in on another band's legacy. Let's call a spade a spade, bro. Ron wasn't very successful prior to his time in Guns. This touring tribute act opened doors that he wanted and needed open. If you believe that the only reason he has stayed is because he doesn't want his departure to lead to fans being disappointed, I think you're somewhat naïve and, unfortunately, Thal has got you hook, line, and seeker (which is probably his ultimate goal in making these empty threats so public to begin with - gain public support).

As far as your argument about "how great he is to the fans", if you say so. Personally, I've never been a fan of any artist just because they're nice. Fuck nice. Plus, we've got to see the real Ron right here on this forum. The "fuck GNR" Ron. The "I'm just teasing, guys" Ron. The "I'm going to get nasty because fans are asking me questions that I don't like and making fair assumptions about why I'm in GNR in the first place" Ron. Not such a cool, fan-loving dude when pressed with any kind of truth. Sure... he's great for the very few fans who take an interest in his guitar foot wankery or to the even fewer who actually take an interest in things that he has to say outside of GNR.

To address your last point, he's supposedly been a member of a "band" for 7 years. His claim to fame is this band. When he can't answer band-related questions because he's not informed of the answer, he should just say that "Axl doesn't tell us" instead of going on one of his whiney-ass, public tirades about how he will drag your ass into a court of law and sue you. If he starts talking shit, he should be prepared to take shit. Let's not forget, he's the replacement's replacement in a defunct rock n roll band. For many, that may not warrant the highest respect. Especially when the individual in question is known to flip shit when he doesn't get his way or people don't praise him properly.

Personally, I hope he does leave. But I say that he doesn't have the balls to. He'll continue placing the paycheck before this supposed artistic integrity that some of you like to pretend that he has. Call it mean all you like, but I call it true, nonetheless.

By far, the best , and "most realistic way of looking at things" post in this thread. Couldn't have put it better myself.

/thread as far as I'm concerned.

It's hard to believe the general lack of direction and lack of planning by this band. Most bands have a plan and at least the band mates are in the loop. I can't put the blame entirely on TB since this has always been the case, but this needs to change now if anything positive is going to happen again. It's hard to believe that Axl runs what was once the biggest band in the world this way. I don't blame bumble for being frustrated, but I hope he stays. This band can't afford anymore setbacks or rebuilds at this point. If things break down now, sadly, it's all over.

It's a lucrative gig, he gets to travel the world, the bullshit he has to deal with is pretty minor, it's just having to apologize and grovel to people he committed to, made him pissed off, but he knows what he signed on for with GNR.

I think he's overworking himself, but maybe it's a good way of keeping his mind off of the pain and falling back into old habits. Glad he's okay and not talking about not making it to 50 anymore.

Team Brazil are far too unprofessional to ever stop booking tours at short notice, so I wish Ron would carry out his threat to leave & choose his own life. He has already lost out in the past & no doubt he will again. Unfortunately I don't think Ron is stupid enough to leave. I would imagine he would lose the majority of his present income & is using this threat to try & get some publicity for the tour & a response from team Brazil.

Fans seem to think that Ron is very honest and will take his word over any other member, but he has threatened to leave in the past and never does. I believe Ron can play Slash's & Buckets solo's very well but his own contributions and his own song writing are very poor. I think that for Guns N' Roses to move forward & make new music they would be better off without him.

Edited by Fogy Malone

Cool article.

On Ron's comment about people living hand to mouth, not wanting the shows to start 3 hours late...I've got to say, seems like he's saying in a world where people aren't so stressed and stretched, he's ok with a little chaos at a rock show...I would say, why treat people differently because of an unfortunate situation, let people escape to that world where that shit doesn't matter, it's a rock n fn roll show :-) reality is that shit might matter, but how about letting the 'show' just happen like a rock n roll show should.

If people stop going because of it, they stop going....and then rock n roll will truly be dead.

Edited by kbirdie76

Ron is a stand up guy and I give him credit for at least speaking up but honestly does anyone believe that him leaving will have any impact on NuGuns?..It is not like any replacement Axl gets has to play any original Bumble solos that can't be replicated as there has not been any new music with Ron to have to replicate..........

If Ron leaves Axcl will either replace him with another talented faceless guitar player or go on with only 2 guitarists and continue to tour and milk greatest hits IMHO................

I think bumble leaving would force us to wait even longer for new music. If there is a album I hope he doesn't leave. I of course would understand why he would tho. As others brought up, I think it's interesting that guns would cancel plans for dead flowers but would not do so for bumble and his solo dates.