The MyGNR travel thread 2014

wfuckinga

Barcelona is another place I haven't seen that I would love to visit. But youth unemployment in Spain is like 300% right now, so I'm not sure it's the best time to go and not get mugged.

I was just there last summer...totally fine...I wouldn't wander into any back alleys at night by yourself....but I wouldn't do that in NYC either.... :lol:

• Like 1

Please tell me that's a hidden wallet and not one of those pouch things you wear around your waist?

Also:

How to dress like an obvious American tourist and attract muggers and pickpockets everywhere you go

ridiculous_tourist.jpg

Edited by Facekicker
  • Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Whenever traveling abroad it's always a good idea to use one of these:

moneybelt.jpg

Those are the stupidest things ever, I used to know a bloke, he's dead now, used to rob people down by Canary Wharf and apparently those things are like a fuckin' sign to local muggers, robbers etc that you got something worth taking. Used to know is an exaggeration, I used to see him out and about, he was more spoken about to me by other people than me ever speaking to him or seeing evidence of the tales of his shenanigans.

Edited by sugaraylen

Had fake police in Barcelona try and intimidate me into giving them my passport. I'd heard of the scam and told them no.

At least I think they were fake police.

Some Aussies that I met whilst travelling in Italy told us how the day before we met them they were driving along the road in southern Italy when they were pulled over by 'police'. Some crap was described to them about how they needed to follow them due to some crime or something or other that had happened, so thinking they were genuine police they did as they were told and followed them. They ended up being lead to a dirt road that disappeared into some bushes and abruptly ended, where by all of a sudden 4 guys appeared from nowhere with bats in their hands. The guy that was driving thought fast and threw the car into reverse and nailed it out of there as fast as he could and didn't stop until he was back in the town they'd come from. Both he and his girlfriend were still shaken by the experience when we spoke to them. They were fine and escaped unharmed but it frightened the living crap out of them, and me. :scared:

Whenever traveling abroad it's always a good idea to use one of these:

moneybelt.jpg

Those are the stupidest things ever, I used to know a bloke, he's dead now, used to rob people down by Canary Wharf and apparently those things are like a fuckin' sign to local muggers, robbers etc that you got something worth taking. Used to know is an exaggeration, I used to see him out and about, he was more spoken about to me by other people than me ever speaking to him or seeing evidence of the tales of his shenanigans.

When I travelled around Europe for 12 months I kept my passport and CC in one of those which went around my leg. It was kind of annoying, but no one knew it was there and no matter what happened I knew I'd always have the most important things with me. The key is to never access it in public. Only complete morons have one of those and then stand there in the middle of a public square or something fussing about pulling out cash. :lol:

Please tell me that's a hidden wallet and not one of those pouch things you wear around your waist?

Also:

How to dress like an obvious American tourist and attract muggers and pickpockets everywhere you goridiculous_tourist.jpg

:thumbsup:

I love the art of Duane Hanson. I saw an exhibition of his in New York years ago and it was fantastic. I reckon these wax sculptures are even better, by a guy called Ron Mueck. To keep this on topic I think I'd travel anywhere in the world to see a full exhibit of his work again like I saw here in Melbourne about 3 or 4 years ago. You need a real person in the pics to understand the context of scale. Some are huge, some are tiny, but they're all beautiful:

25k7mg9.jpg

2ym6mja.jpg

ayu2w8.jpg

2ir3xtv.jpg

I bet that second sculpture has a smelly cock.

As for people not taking your paper, keep your money in your underpants or socks FFS.

Not it was quite fresh I can assure you. I saw it and it was magnificent. :)

Money? I didn't give a fuck about the cash, it was my passport and CC that was important. Not exactly going to fit that in my socks or my knickers, am I? :lol:

Does anybody happen to know about National Park passes/fees in Canada? We're planning to visit at the very least Pacific Rim, Jasper, Yoho and Banff. We'll be in the general area for about 2 weeks, but I'm not entirely clear on when we'd need a park pass.

Also, I've found information on day and year passes, but I'm wondering if something like a month pass is an option as well. The Discovery Passes seem like a good option, but I'd wish they'd come in month-form rather than year.

Ok Magisme, as promised here is the lowdown on Krakow:

Start by looking for flights on skyscanner.ie - the best way to find the cheapest flights from anywhere in the world

Accommodation:

Short-term apartments are cheaper than hotels and give you a lot more freedom. Also handier if you are on the pull. Local polish girls will run a mile if you suggest going back to a hotel room. Party at your apartment though, not a bother ;)

http://krakownightlife.com or http://where2b.org

If you want recommendations for sights to see and food just ask and I'll recommend a few spots.

• Like 1

Loads of places, shit, most major cities in Europe.

Best advice I ever got was this:

You're not a tourist, don't dress like one or act like one. Do your research well in advance (google streetview places you want to visit to get familiar with the basic layout of where you are going)

Never stay in a hotel. Never tell anyone you are a tourist, you're there on business.

Tourists get ripped off everywhere they go, guaranteed.

Don't ever carry a big massive DSLR camera around your neck. You are asking to get mugged and either way you look like a tool. If you must get a shoulder case or put it in a backpack. Better still get a decent pocket compact or use your cellphone.

Remember that you are not in America. There isn't police everywhere to watch your back. Street/bar fights kick off a lot quicker compared to the states from my experience. People don't tend to carry guns like the states so they are not as wary when it comes to throwing a punch.

And if someone asks where you are from don't say - The States or I'm an American. That is fucking obvious. Just tell them what city you are from, maybe the state if it is not a big well known city.

Also don't tip.

Edited by Facekicker