The MyGNR travel thread 2014

wfuckinga

Cheers man! If you need any tips on Amsterdam, just ask. But like I said - debauchery and sin or culture and history? ;)

Hopefully a little bit of both as others have said :lol:

edit: also looks like I missed that in your original post, my bad. I've had recommendations for debauchery, so if there's anything that's a must see for the latter, let me know. But on that note I'll take any must-do's for the first option too.

I tell you nothing like hitting up a few coffee shops during the afternoon, then heading to the Van Gogh museum high as a fucking kite.

Afterwards, head to a few bars and then go for a lovely walk along the canals where you can take in the wonderful sights of the sex shops and prostitutes. :lol:

Sounds like a plan.

Edited by Mansin Humanity

I'm going to Barcelona for ten days with my boys this summer. The original plan was to go to Pamplona and run with the bulls, but most of my friends pussed out.

I'll tell yah, the thought of doing it usually hits a brick wall when you see it happening in person. In 2006 I was in Spain and watched the running of the bulls in a small town of Laguardia. It was much smaller than what takes place in Pamplona, but it was still scary as hell. I watched within the confines of the bulls but outside of the running lanes. I can't remember if it was the day before or day after I watched tens of drunken Spaniards get tossed around a bullfight ring in the town of Haro. Anyone could get in there, but watching guys bigger than me get thrown around like rag dolls killed any inclination I might have had to try. And I'm someone who usually doesn't backdown from a thrill, but that was too much.

It's on my bucket list, so I have to do it sooner or later.

I have to say seeing Van Gogh's work stoned out of your gourd is quite the experience.

Of course my friend had to proclaim loudly in front of the sunflowers painting that it was "Fuckin' shit man" - which went down like a lead balloon with all the other tourists standing around us. I had to walk out to the stairwell to laugh my ass off. I thought I was going to pass out :lol:

We also went to the zoo off our tits which was a lot of fun.

I think the only place we went sober was the Anne Frank house. Afterwards we went straight to a coffeeshop to cheer up because that place was depressing as fuck.

Oh yeah, first place you want to visit in Amsterdam is http://www.cannabiscollege.com/

They give you a map of the city and mark out all the best coffeeshops. Then for 5 euro you can get your photo taken with about 12 cannabis plants :lol:

Oh and honourable mention to the banana bar :lol: The girls there are very fond of bananas. Very fond.

331bananenbar2.jpg?width=412&height=600

Edited by Facekicker

I heartily dislike Brussels. Any other Belgian city is better, Ghent, Bruges, wherever.

No mention of Antwerp ?? :o

It goes included in "wherever", doesn't it? :P

My summer itinerary includes Italy, Poland, Sweden, Norway, Luxembourg, France, and England. First time in Italy, Poland, Luxembourg, and France for me.

Iron maiden? Wouldn't you like to have an elder bro? I'm very adopt-ative.

• Like 1

Brussles for a couple of days I guess it's right. Everywhere can be nice/fun for a few days. Living in Brussels it surely makes it lose the little charm it could have.

Really enjoyed my long weekend in Brussels in Feb and I'm going back in August for a stag do. Amazing beer, fries and waffles. :thumbsup:

For a fatty, I guess it's awesome. :D

edit: also looks like I missed that in your original post, my bad. I've had recommendations for debauchery, so if there's anything that's a must see for the latter, let me know. But on that note I'll take any must-do's for the first option too.

Debauchery and sin are the easy ones. -_- Go to the red light district, but don't do it on a Friday or Saturday night. Too crowded. Go on a week night instead. Don't go to the Hard Rock Cafe. It's overpriced and terrible. Find a small local bar instead. They're much better. If you're into whisky, go to L&B.

Dutch people are very open. We call it open, many call it rude. But don't get offended if someone blurts out something. They will. Especially when drunk. But they don't mean anything bad. So try to be open about it. :P

The obvious cliche's are all good. Boat trip through the canals. Anne Frank House, The Rijksmuseum... And they're all cliche's because they're good. So do them. The Rijksmuseum os beautiful. My favorite piece is in it's garden - the Herepoort. It's one of the old main city gates to Groningen (where I live). I still wish they'd buy it back. Also go to the Van Gogh museum if that's your thing.

No clue how long you'll be there. But if you are there for long enough, get out of there for a day. Check out a polder, a windmill or something else typically Dutch. See some of the country, outside of the city. I never do those things, unless friends from overseas are visiting. And it's always fun.

Try to see a gig, too. Preferably in Paradiso. Or maybe the Melkweg. But preferably Paradiso. If anything good is in town anyway.

But I guess Amsterdam is also one of those places where you have to live the life. Go chill at the Vondelpark. Have some beers around the Leidseplein square. Hang around on the Dam square. Stroll over the curiosity market on the Waterlooplain square. Smoke on the streets and chill out. Yes, that kind of smoking. If that's your thing anyway.

Definitely jealous of the North America trip and your travel plans, Powerage!

For me this year planned so far: a week in Turkey and a city trip to London.

Where in Turkey? Only been to Istanbul but it's one of the most amazing places I've been. Would love to go see more of Turkey someday!

Debauchery and sin are the easy ones. -_- Go to the red light district, but don't do it on a Friday or Saturday night. Too crowded. Go on a week night instead. Don't go to the Hard Rock Cafe. It's overpriced and terrible. Find a small local bar instead. They're much better. If you're into whisky, go to L&B.

Dutch people are very open. We call it open, many call it rude. But don't get offended if someone blurts out something. They will. Especially when drunk. But they don't mean anything bad. So try to be open about it. :P

The obvious cliche's are all good. Boat trip through the canals. Anne Frank House, The Rijksmuseum... And they're all cliche's because they're good. So do them. The Rijksmuseum os beautiful. My favorite piece is in it's garden - the Herepoort. It's one of the old main city gates to Groningen (where I live). I still wish they'd buy it back. Also go to the Van Gogh museum if that's your thing.

No clue how long you'll be there. But if you are there for long enough, get out of there for a day. Check out a polder, a windmill or something else typically Dutch. See some of the country, outside of the city. I never do those things, unless friends from overseas are visiting. And it's always fun.

Try to see a gig, too. Preferably in Paradiso. Or maybe the Melkweg. But preferably Paradiso. If anything good is in town anyway.

But I guess Amsterdam is also one of those places where you have to live the life. Go chill at the Vondelpark. Have some beers around the Leidseplein square. Hang around on the Dam square. Stroll over the curiosity market on the Waterlooplain square. Smoke on the streets and chill out. Yes, that kind of smoking. If that's your thing anyway.

You forgot to mention that bestiality is legal in the Netherlands, Username. That will probably get a few more MyGNRForum tourists.

Definitely jealous of the North America trip and your travel plans, Powerage!

For me this year planned so far: a week in Turkey and a city trip to London.

Where in Turkey? Only been to Istanbul but it's one of the most amazing places I've been. Would love to go see more of Turkey someday!

Istanbul is great, loved it! I've been there a long time ago. This time it's not for culture though, we're going to the Riviera, a week of sun, sea, food and drinks :lol:

Love Italy and France too... Will you be able to do some sightseeing or are you just there for the gigs ?

Cool, sounds amazing.

There'll be some sightseeing time in Rome - we leave JFK on June 18th and it's a direct flight, so we'll have the 19th-21st free. Seeing The Rolling Stones there on the 22nd before we join the Maiden tour in Poland. France, the gig is in Arras on July 3, then we've got Sabbath at Hyde Park the next day and Sonisphere Knebworth that weekend, so unfortunately no sightseeing time in France. We always try to squeeze in sightseeing whenever we can, but sometimes it just isn't possible when you're following such a specific schedule.

Try some mushrooms and spend 10 hours in your room marveling at the melting walls. :lol:

I'm no expert, but I think they're much harder to come by these days. The average SmartShop over here used to sell them, but I think it's illegal to sell them now.

You forgot to mention that bestiality is legal in the Netherlands, Username. That will probably get a few more MyGNRForum tourists.

I think that's illegal too. ;)

Edited by username

I'm no expert, but I think they're much harder to come by these days. The average SmartShop over here used to sell them, but I think it's illegal to sell them now.

what's happened? had no problems finding them at smart shops like a year ago or so..

i'm going to Rome in a month :wub:

what really bothers me is that there seems to be too many must-visit places. so i have troubles figuring out what's a real must-see and what's a must-see-sometime-maybe-next-time

recommendations, anyone, pls?

what's happened? had no problems finding them at smart shops like a year ago or so..

I think a tourist or two who decided to jump out a window while high on shrooms and heaven knows what else triggered a bit of a political stir.

Edited by username

Guest Len B'stard

I just CANNOT get my head around legal weed, the absolute joy life would be to just wake up on a sunny day, climb out of bed, walk to the cornershop, get your pint of milk and then be like...yeah, I'll have 10 B&H, king size silver rizla and uh, oh about half an O of skunk please mate, yeah, that stinky fluffy bag there with the silvery hue, thank you my good man!

Ugh, what I wouldn't give for that...rackin' up at the kitchen table, the sunday times open before me, have a cup of tea, kick back and watch some old John Wayne movie.

What got me Len was the way the place was like a restaurant - menus and all. It was like, will we have a starter or just go straight for dessert? :lol: I also cracked up when my friend started rolling a joint with his hands under the table, I said - "what the fuck are you doing man?" He was like - "Oh yeah I can just roll this on the table, sorry lads, force of habit" :lol:

I think a tourist or two who decided to jump out a window while high on shrooms and heaven knows what else triggered a bit of a political stir.

probably a good thing. to think of it, the only reason i didn't jump out of window was that i couldn't move my... anything

get your pint of milk

...and couple of chocolate space muffins. wouldn't it be nice?

For those who are visiting Rome: awesome! I've only been there once and my boyfriend at the time wasn't really into culture and history, plus the weather was great, so we spent a lot of time just strolling through Rome. I did manage to drag him into the Colosseum and the Sistine Chapel, as I am a huge admirer of Michelangelo and I used to have a poster of the ceiling in my room (next to all my Axl Rose and GNR posters :P ). I was absolutely blown away. I'm sure there's a zillion other places to visit, but I enjoyed those two.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

probably a good thing. to think of it, the only reason i didn't jump out of window was that i couldn't move my... anything

get your pint of milk

...and couple of chocolate space muffins. wouldn't it be nice?

Nah, it's gotta be smoked!