The MyGNR travel thread 2014

wfuckinga

I will take long walks on the beach and get lots of reading done. :)

Combine the 2 with the magic of audiobooks. Audible.com is £3.99 for your first book/month. Used to be snobby about audiobooks but some of them are great (love hearing Dawkins' elocution on The God Delusion).

Combine the 2 with the magic of audiobooks. Audible.com is £3.99 for your first book/month. Used to be snobby about audiobooks but some of them are great (love hearing Dawkins' elocution on The God Delusion).

Thanks Amir, will try that. *Remembers to get broken iPod fixed soon*.

Thanks Amir, will try that. *Remembers to get broken iPod fixed soon*.

Might be cheaper to buy a used one, this one's about to go for £15:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IPod-Nano-3rd-Generation-8GB-Silver-/271444785862?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PortableAudio_MP3Players&hash=item3f335ebac6

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Berlin is really a great city. There's something for everyone there.

I will be going to Istanbul in a few weeks, me and my wife, our first trip away only the the two of us since our first daughter was born 4 years ago. Then I am going to LA and San Diego in June. I have no idea how travelling there will be this fall, but at least a few trips to various places in Europe.

• Like 1

Enjoy Istanbul! I absolutely love it. So many places to visit: Topkapi, Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, Bosporus, Galata Tower, Basilica Cistern, the Bazaar. All great. But don't forget to visit a locals bar where they offer the waterpipe. I went to one with my (female) friend, there were only men there. At first, we were a bit apprehensive, but it was great. They didn't bother us, but were very helpful. We went to a locals club there too, in a high building opposite the Blue Mosque. The view was great, but I think they only invited us up there because we were two women, so you might not get in ;)

Enjoy Istanbul! I absolutely love it. So many places to visit: Topkapi, Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, Bosporus, Galata Tower, Basilica Cistern, the Bazaar. All great. But don't forget to visit a locals bar where they offer the waterpipe. I went to one with my (female) friend, there were only men there. At first, we were a bit apprehensive, but it was great. They didn't bother us, but were very helpful. We went to a locals club there too, in a high building opposite the Blue Mosque. The view was great, but I think they only invited us up there because we were two women, so you might not get in ;)

I've been there before. The first time I travelled and stay with a Turkish friend of mine and got to see most of the places before we headed east to Cappadocia. This time it will just be an extended weekend with my wife to get away from the daily routines of our lives. She has never been in that part of the world before. We actually were about to travel to Syria before she got pregnant. I had found this great hotel in Damascus and everything. I wonder have many years it's going to be before we can go there now...

I'm considering going on this trip through Scotland. It'll be my 3rd whisky trip in 3 years. Going to be difficult to work out though!

https://maps.google.nl/maps?saddr=Glasgow+Airport,+Paisley,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk&daddr=Ben+Nevis+Distillery,+Lochy+Bridge,+Fort+William,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Carbost,+opp+Talisker+Distillery+(Unmarked),+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Glen+Ord+Distillery,+Glen+Ord+Distillery,+Muir+of+Ord,+Ross-shire,+IV6+7UJ,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Old+Pulteney,+Wick,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Wolfburn+Road,+Scrabster,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Highland+Park+Distillery,+Highland+Park+Distillery,+Holm+Rd,+Kirkwall,+Orkney+KW15+1SU,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Scapa,+opp+Distillery+Cottages+(Unmarked),+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Inverness,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk&hl=nl&ll=57.797944,-4.207764&spn=2.169271,6.696167&sll=57.273104,-3.988037&sspn=4.402422,13.392334&geocode=FZJ-VAMdk1O8_yELM6oZtYioJCnd4BEBuU6ISDELM6oZtYioJA%3BFeA9YwMdmpmy_yGYGK573BjlfylPoEhE28yOSDGYGK573Bjlfw%3BFXRfagMdFAKf_yn99pBa_zeMSDF1hZHZFREB0Q%3BFbO3bQMdCbW7_ymRsDlhzQuPSDFLXd0uSZqY6g%3BFUinewMdZO7Q_yHoWXugBAZXoCkNpmMQo9aaSDHoWXugBAZXoA%3BFekwfgMd99vJ_ynnSb84Sr-aSDGwGBmTfSK8TQ%3BFanHgwMd4ubS_ykLI7I-hAGbSDF8kh00f73ELQ%3BFaa-gwMd6G3S_ympT2xjMgKbSDFmM2Yw9NKMSg%3BFY0KbQMdL4m__ykr3hctW3GPSDE9xD4u0QlDYg&oq=Inverne&mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Get on it before I leave! :P

It'll be October. Any clue where you'll be then? :unsure: I don't have much of a hand in the date as it's organized by our whisky club.

Ehh potentially (if all goes well) Surrey or even the US by then :(

If on the other hand, I've not gotten a job by then I might still be around couch surfing :lol:

I've been there before. The first time I travelled and stay with a Turkish friend of mine and got to see most of the places before we headed east to Cappadocia. This time it will just be an extended weekend with my wife to get away from the daily routines of our lives. She has never been in that part of the world before. We actually were about to travel to Syria before she got pregnant. I had found this great hotel in Damascus and everything. I wonder have many years it's going to be before we can go there now...

Not any time soon, I guess :( I always wanted to go to Egypt, but have never been there, things are getting worse there too, so... might be some time till I see the pyramids and the Nile too.

• Like 1

Not any time soon, I guess :( I always wanted to go to Egypt, but have never been there, things are getting worse there too, so... might be some time till I see the pyramids and the Nile too.

Egypt is awesome. ..I had wanted to go there since I was a little kid so I took a 2 week tour there 14 years ago and saw everything I had always wanted to see and things I never thought to see. Cruised down the Nile and even took a plane to Abu Simbel........ took a side trip from Cairo by taxi to the Bent and Red pyramids....The Museum in Cairo is incredible and went there a half a dozen times as there is so much to see........the only place I did not go to that I wanted to see was Alexandria..........Hope you get to go to Egypt someday..........

• Like 1

Last year I spent the night on the top of a sand dune in the Sahara just next to the Algerian border with a couple of fucking stoned Berbers, the missus and a lovely couple from cornwall. :lol:

Prize for most exotic dogging? :lol:

Sandy, you may well be three times my size ( :lol:) and educated at one of the best universities in the world but that does not mean that I can't stick the boot in and run like fuck once I've paid Lenny to trip you up and attempt to hold you down. I suggest you think about that long and hard before running that mouth of yours next time! :lol:

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

Going to the beach (more than likely Daytona) tomorrow with my son....then to South Florida beaches for a couple of days next week when my folks come to town....looking forward to the beach, haven't gone out yet this year. :thumbsup:

Update....did both of these so far....Daytona was a day trip...and a nice day spent with my son.

Ended up going to Ft.Lauderdale with my folks and son the weekend before last....very nice trip, stayed at the Westin Beach Resort for a couple of nights....probably one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in....

I went to a Puerto Rico last month. It was nice. I drank a lot and got second degree sunburns, wasted away on the beach.

I romanticize about traveling after college. Where to? Fuck knows, but I kind of just want to have a wild time somewhere and disappear forever. In reality I will probably just grow old and sad.

I went to a Puerto Rico last month. It was nice. I drank a lot and got second degree sunburns, wasted away on the beach.

I romanticize about traveling after college. Where to? Fuck knows, but I kind of just want to have a wild time somewhere and disappear forever. In reality I will probably just grow old and sad.

Either go on an extended Eurotrip or travel through Australia. And by both of those I mean travel the distance, don't stay in one place for too long, see as much as you can and meet new people. Yes, it's easy to go to Amsterdam and get stoned (I hate those tourists), but you'd be missing out.