The MyGNR travel thread 2014

wfuckinga

Come to Norway and I will take you hiking in the mountains and make a man out of you. And Norwegian girls love Americans.

It's true.

What's not to love.......... :shrugs: ........................ :P
Foreskins? :lol:

What's a foreskin?............... :P

Edited by classicrawker

I went to a Puerto Rico last month. It was nice. I drank a lot and got second degree sunburns, wasted away on the beach.

I romanticize about traveling after college. Where to? Fuck knows, but I kind of just want to have a wild time somewhere and disappear forever. In reality I will probably just grow old and sad.

Either go on an extended Eurotrip or travel through Australia. And by both of those I mean travel the distance, don't stay in one place for too long, see as much as you can and meet new people. Yes, it's easy to go to Amsterdam and get stoned (I hate those tourists), but you'd be missing out.

Yeah I am definitely going to travel.

I need someone to travel with!

And sorry username, don't think I will be going to Amsterdam any time soon to get high. I'm just not really into weed anymore. It makes me question my sexuality. What else is there to do in Amsterdam?

Maybe I will just travel out west and fuck around for a little bit. I want to work at a brewery somewhere to be honest. I don't really care if the pay is all that good. Drinking is kind of my passion I guess.

I went to a Puerto Rico last month. It was nice. I drank a lot and got second degree sunburns, wasted away on the beach.

I romanticize about traveling after college. Where to? Fuck knows, but I kind of just want to have a wild time somewhere and disappear forever. In reality I will probably just grow old and sad.

Either go on an extended Eurotrip or travel through Australia. And by both of those I mean travel the distance, don't stay in one place for too long, see as much as you can and meet new people. Yes, it's easy to go to Amsterdam and get stoned (I hate those tourists), but you'd be missing out.

And sorry username, don't think I will be going to Amsterdam any time soon to get high. I'm just not really into weed anymore. It makes me question my sexuality. What else is there to do in Amsterdam?

Maybe I will just travel out west and fuck around for a little bit. I want to work at a brewery somewhere to be honest. I don't really care if the pay is all that good. Drinking is kind of my passion I guess.

Don't be sorry man, I passionately hate drug tourism. :lol:

In Amsterdam there's loads of great stuff, all depending on what you're into. There's some earlier in the thread. But if you want beer go to either Belgium or Germany. ;) Though I doubt many of them include "unlimited beer during work hours" in their benefit package. But personally I wouldn't want to stick in one place for too long. Visit cities like London, Paris, Berlin, Vienna, Rome, Barcelona, Prague and Amsterdam. And some cities in Scandinavia, but I haven't been there yet. Go to amazing area's like the French Alps (Chamonix, Annecy etc), the Algarve in Portugal (Lagos, Praia Da Rocha Sagres), Greece (I love Zakynthos), Triglav National Park (Bled, Bohinj) and/or Piran in Slovenia. The Belgian Ardennes are pretty too, and there's many breweries there too. Then there's the Norwegian Fjords and maybe Lapland. Go see shit. :)

I'll be in San Diego for work in the middle of May. Never been there before so I'm hoping to get around to see a couple things while I'm there.

It's very pretty! :D

That's what everyone is telling me. We're staying at a Hyatt that's right in the harbor so I'm expecting some incredible views. I'm gonna poke around on the hotel website and see what there is to do within walking distance or a reasonable cab ride.

I'll be in San Diego for work in the middle of May. Never been there before so I'm hoping to get around to see a couple things while I'm there.

That's what everyone is telling me. We're staying at a Hyatt that's right in the harbor so I'm expecting some incredible views. I'm gonna poke around on the hotel website and see what there is to do within walking distance or a reasonable cab ride.
I stayed in a roach motel on the outskirts in between a liquor store and a strip club. :lol: Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

I'm considering going on this trip through Scotland. It'll be my 3rd whisky trip in 3 years. Going to be difficult to work out though!

https://maps.google.nl/maps?saddr=Glasgow+Airport,+Paisley,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk&daddr=Ben+Nevis+Distillery,+Lochy+Bridge,+Fort+William,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Carbost,+opp+Talisker+Distillery+(Unmarked),+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Glen+Ord+Distillery,+Glen+Ord+Distillery,+Muir+of+Ord,+Ross-shire,+IV6+7UJ,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Old+Pulteney,+Wick,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Wolfburn+Road,+Scrabster,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Highland+Park+Distillery,+Highland+Park+Distillery,+Holm+Rd,+Kirkwall,+Orkney+KW15+1SU,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Scapa,+opp+Distillery+Cottages+(Unmarked),+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Inverness,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk&hl=nl&ll=57.797944,-4.207764&spn=2.169271,6.696167&sll=57.273104,-3.988037&sspn=4.402422,13.392334&geocode=FZJ-VAMdk1O8_yELM6oZtYioJCnd4BEBuU6ISDELM6oZtYioJA%3BFeA9YwMdmpmy_yGYGK573BjlfylPoEhE28yOSDGYGK573Bjlfw%3BFXRfagMdFAKf_yn99pBa_zeMSDF1hZHZFREB0Q%3BFbO3bQMdCbW7_ymRsDlhzQuPSDFLXd0uSZqY6g%3BFUinewMdZO7Q_yHoWXugBAZXoCkNpmMQo9aaSDHoWXugBAZXoA%3BFekwfgMd99vJ_ynnSb84Sr-aSDGwGBmTfSK8TQ%3BFanHgwMd4ubS_ykLI7I-hAGbSDF8kh00f73ELQ%3BFaa-gwMd6G3S_ympT2xjMgKbSDFmM2Yw9NKMSg%3BFY0KbQMdL4m__ykr3hctW3GPSDE9xD4u0QlDYg&oq=Inverne&mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Get on it before I leave! :P

It'll be October. Any clue where you'll be then? :unsure: I don't have much of a hand in the date as it's organized by our whisky club.

Ehh potentially (if all goes well) Surrey or even the US by then :(

If on the other hand, I've not gotten a job by then I might still be around couch surfing :lol:

It's on! The Scotland trip that is. We're leaving October 11th and we'll be back the 19th. Let me know if you'll be in the country then. ;) I'll let you know where we're staying when as soon as I find out. :)

• Like 1

I'm considering going on this trip through Scotland. It'll be my 3rd whisky trip in 3 years. Going to be difficult to work out though!

https://maps.google.nl/maps?saddr=Glasgow+Airport,+Paisley,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk&daddr=Ben+Nevis+Distillery,+Lochy+Bridge,+Fort+William,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Carbost,+opp+Talisker+Distillery+(Unmarked),+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Glen+Ord+Distillery,+Glen+Ord+Distillery,+Muir+of+Ord,+Ross-shire,+IV6+7UJ,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Old+Pulteney,+Wick,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Wolfburn+Road,+Scrabster,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Highland+Park+Distillery,+Highland+Park+Distillery,+Holm+Rd,+Kirkwall,+Orkney+KW15+1SU,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Scapa,+opp+Distillery+Cottages+(Unmarked),+Verenigd+Koninkrijk+to:Inverness,+Verenigd+Koninkrijk&hl=nl&ll=57.797944,-4.207764&spn=2.169271,6.696167&sll=57.273104,-3.988037&sspn=4.402422,13.392334&geocode=FZJ-VAMdk1O8_yELM6oZtYioJCnd4BEBuU6ISDELM6oZtYioJA%3BFeA9YwMdmpmy_yGYGK573BjlfylPoEhE28yOSDGYGK573Bjlfw%3BFXRfagMdFAKf_yn99pBa_zeMSDF1hZHZFREB0Q%3BFbO3bQMdCbW7_ymRsDlhzQuPSDFLXd0uSZqY6g%3BFUinewMdZO7Q_yHoWXugBAZXoCkNpmMQo9aaSDHoWXugBAZXoA%3BFekwfgMd99vJ_ynnSb84Sr-aSDGwGBmTfSK8TQ%3BFanHgwMd4ubS_ykLI7I-hAGbSDF8kh00f73ELQ%3BFaa-gwMd6G3S_ympT2xjMgKbSDFmM2Yw9NKMSg%3BFY0KbQMdL4m__ykr3hctW3GPSDE9xD4u0QlDYg&oq=Inverne&mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Get on it before I leave! :P

It'll be October. Any clue where you'll be then? :unsure: I don't have much of a hand in the date as it's organized by our whisky club.

Ehh potentially (if all goes well) Surrey or even the US by then :(

If on the other hand, I've not gotten a job by then I might still be around couch surfing :lol:

It's on! The Scotland trip that is. We're leaving October 11th and we'll be back the 19th. Let me know if you'll be in the country then. ;) I'll let you know where we're staying when as soon as I find out. :)

Will do! :)

In Amsterdam there's loads of great stuff, all depending on what you're into. There's some earlier in the thread. But if you want beer go to either Belgium or Germany.

You're being rather humble here.....the Heineken Brewery and the subsequent tour was one of the highlights when I backpacked through Europe 15 years ago....I would say it's an almost can't miss.

As for your other points, they are spot on....I highly recommend staying in each city for 3-4 days, depending on level of interests....with cities like London, Paris and Rome maybe a little longer.

In Amsterdam there's loads of great stuff, all depending on what you're into. There's some earlier in the thread. But if you want beer go to either Belgium or Germany.

You're being rather humble here.....the Heineken Brewery and the subsequent tour was one of the highlights when I backpacked through Europe 15 years ago....I would say it's an almost can't miss.

As for your other points, they are spot on....I highly recommend staying in each city for 3-4 days, depending on level of interests....with cities like London, Paris and Rome maybe a little longer.

Thing is, Heineken is brilliant as a brewery. But I greatly prefer other beers over Heineken. Mostly Belgian and German, but also other Dutch beers. But the thing with Heineken is that it's so huge and famous that they can (and will) put up great tours of a very impressive brewery. But to me, there's nothing like the charm of a small abbey or monastery. ;) It has more charm, though the tour itself might be less good.

Renting a car or sticking around downtown? You're right near the Seaport Village.

San Diego has a lot of big and small craft breweries, a lot of brewers used to kick open their kegs at O'Brien's in Kearny Mesa. Pizza Port's a good one in North County where they're a restaurant and make their own. Stone probably is the biggest, but Escondido's inland and gets hot as fuck...

Trying to find a cheap break away for the wife and I in the next couple of months. We're looking at Greece and possibly Corfu but trying to find somewhere where there's no British people. :lol:

Budapest? Baths there are great, £10-15 a head, return flights should be less than £100.

Sicily's beautiful, but I looked at flights and they've really gone up. A mate and my went for just over £100 each inc. baggage with Ryanair back in 2010, now it's double that.

lol ryanair

It's the cheapest option in Europe, with easyJet just after. If you're looking to get anywhere in Europe for cheap, Ryanair's your best bet, hasn't failed me yet. Flights are usually less than 2 hours anyway so I'm not really fussed about legroom or whatever.

Edited by Amir