Robin Finck about Axl and Chinese

As far as Slash and Axl go I think the closest anyone has gotten to a reunion would be the Rock and Roll hall of fame. Axl seemed to consider being there, but if he's going to go through with being on a stage with Slash I think the money needs to be there...might as well get paid. I remember hearing that a reunion came close in 2004 but that might have been a false alarm with the greatest hits album.

On topic, It would have been awesome if Robin stayed. I feel Axl might have promoted the album more if he had him there.

Well, if it is true, his job is to manage GNR and do what's best for the band. Managing Axl =/= doing what's best and most profitable for GNR. It sounds like the other side of the Goldstein coin.

Any manager with half of a brain knows that the biggest payday and the best path to getting GNR into the realm Axl wants it would be for real GNR to be touring.

Wrong. He was hired to manage GNR, and Axl defines what GNR is. So if GNR in 2008 was Axl, Robin, Bumble, Tommy, Richard, Dizzy, Chris, & Frank/Brain, that's the band he was hired to manage and do what's best for. A band is more than just a name.

Wrong. He was hired to manage GNR, and Axl defines what GNR is. So if GNR in 2008 was Axl, Robin, Bumble, Tommy, Richard, Dizzy, Chris, & Frank/Brain, that's the band he was hired to manage and do what's best for. A band is more than just a name.

That's a bit naïve though, no offense.

Technically you're correct I suppose-though do what's best for reads reunion.

I think Axl deserves some respect for the fact that, right or wrong, he felt wronged by Slash and he hasn't caved in simply for the money - and there's no shortage of it he could have if he played nice with Slash.

True, but the fact he butters his bread off/plays nearly a whole show of old/Slash songs with a Slash impersonator prancing around the stage cheapens that quite a bit.

I think Axl deserves some respect for the fact that, right or wrong, he felt wronged by Slash and he hasn't caved in simply for the money - and there's no shortage of it he could have if he played nice with Slash.

True, but the fact he butters his bread off/plays nearly a whole show of old/Slash songs with a Slash impersonator prancing around the stage cheapens that quite a bit.

I have nothing to add other than the fact that I love that you used the word "prancing" to describe what DJ does and it's the most accurate description I've ever heard.

• Like 1

Well, if it is true, his job is to manage GNR and do what's best for the band. Managing Axl =/= doing what's best and most profitable for GNR. It sounds like the other side of the Goldstein coin.

Any manager with half of a brain knows that the biggest payday and the best path to getting GNR into the realm Axl wants it would be for real GNR to be touring.

GNR =/= Axl

We're deep enough into the nugnr project to know that. A managers primary job is to make the band as successful as possible. Catering to Axl isn't top priority. That's why Team Brazil fails. It's their top priority. That's why Goldstein fucked the band up. He also said GNR = Axl. If you want to line your pockets and make GNR as successful as possible today, you know where the money is and it isn't with any lineup that doesn't include Slash, Izzy and Duff. You may not like it but that doesn't matter. Only a fool would choose to drive a tricycle when there's a perfectly good car not far away. A good manager knows it. Team Brazil doesn't and that's why all we're seeing is the same old tour repeated 10 times. They've already peaked at a low point. A low point that is miles below the potential in what people really want to see.

A band is more than just a name.

To also address this, I agree. You can't take the singer, remove everyone else and call it the same band by using the name. You can't put a Slash clone on the stage and hope the people are stupid enough to buy it. GNR were five guys that could collectively catch lightning in a bottle. Breaking that up to facilitate Axl's delusions only to get other people and slap the same brand name on it proved that a band is more than just a name.

Edited by Rustycage
  • Like 2

So, it's admirable for Axl to hire several guitarists to play Slash's old work note for note?

It'd be admirable if Axl had released an incredible album instead of ChiDem and then never had his employees play Slash's parts on stage.

It'd be admirable if Axl had released an incredible album instead of ChiDem and then never had his employees play Slash's parts on stage.

Do you feel the same about Slash's band performing GNR songs? Please, list one popular band that play none of their back catalogue.

I'm not sure if you've got heard of this thing called "supply and demand". Axl performs all the big-name GNR songs because that is what people want.

Go to any Kanye, Eminem or Metallica show. Most people don't give a fuck about the latest artistic offering of a performer, they're paying to hear the big songs like "Gold Digger", "Lose Yourself" and "Enter Sandman".

A great read, and very interesting indeed. By the way Robin describes the GN'R situation, is that it was never meant to be a permanent thing at all. Almost sounds like he's intention was to just help Axl out a bit, and months turned into 10+ years.

Interesting what he says about Bucket too, how they essentially saw him as a showcase guitarist, who couldn't adhere to the structure of a song.

Miss Robin so much, great interview.

A Robin solo album should be magnificent and I'm overjoyed to hear he'll be singing. He had some real power to his voice when he sang backup and of course, Sussego was killer.

It can't come soon enough for me.

I sometimes had to just really let go of what it is I would have hoped this song or this presentation of a batch of songs would be.

I wonder if a comment like that means he was dissatisfied with the tracklist of Chinese Democracy.

I often think about how bummed out Robin must feel leaving GNR when he did. Think about all that he missed out on. When he was in the band last , WTTJ was still the opener and they hadn't even brought back Whole Lotta Rosie at that point. You know he's got to be kicking himself in the ass.

I wonder if a comment like that means he was dissatisfied with the tracklist of Chinese Democracy.

Well, I suppose it wouldn't be shocking if an ex-member shared the same sentiments as the majority. Especially since there are current members who openly admit to not liking the band that they are in at all.

Do you feel the same about Slash's band performing GNR songs? Please, list one popular band that play none of their back catalogue.

I'm not sure if you've got heard of this thing called "supply and demand". Axl performs all the big-name GNR songs because that is what people want.

Go to any Kanye, Eminem or Metallica show. Most people don't give a fuck about the latest artistic offering of a performer, they're paying to hear the big songs like "Gold Digger", "Lose Yourself" and "Enter Sandman".

Problem is Axl terminated original Guns and formed another band called Guns N' Roses, so they don't have a back catalogue. They play some songs from their only album and a lot of covers from a band that doesn't exist anymore called Guns N' Roses.

Of course Axl can play his old songs. I just think that by ending GNR 1.0, his intentions were more like playing new stuff and burying the past. Sure Slash plays GNR songs, but he plays what? 4 or 5 songs max? That's moving on while still pleasing the crowd, I'd say.

NIN dropped Closer from their set. Metallica are going on tour with the fans creating the setlist...

Again, no problem with playing old music, specially for an old band. But GNR's case is different, cause Axl in some point of his life wanted the world to forget the old band (he even re-recorded AFD!) and now.... well, the last tour was called APETTITE for democracy, right?

• Like 1

I often think about how bummed out Robin must feel leaving GNR when he did. Think about all that he missed out on. When he was in the band last , WTTJ was still the opener and they hadn't even brought back Whole Lotta Rosie at that point. You know he's got to be kicking himself in the ass.

I don't think those factors would of bothered Robin a whole lot. He's a professional musician, who's job it is to play songs and that's about it.

The reason I loved him is because he was SO good at emulating the old songs, while adding something new all the time.

And on top of that he was an individual, probably more so than anyone in Guns right now.

But I don't think Robin has an emotional connection to GN'R like some people think. His home was always NIN, I don't think he gives a crap that Guns opened with CD after he left, I really don't...

• Like 1

I don't think those factors would of bothered Robin a whole lot. He's a professional musician, who's job it is to play songs and that's about it.

The reason I loved him is because he was SO good at emulating the old songs, while adding something new all the time.

And on top of that he was an individual, probably more so than anyone in Guns right now.

But I don't think Robin has an emotional connection to GN'R like some people think. His home was always NIN, I don't think he gives a crap that Guns opened with CD after he left, I really don't...

"Liking" wasn't just enough. Great post!

Problem is Axl terminated original Guns and formed another band called Guns N' Roses, so they don't have a back catalogue. They play some songs from their only album and a lot of covers from a band that doesn't exist anymore called Guns N' Roses.

Of course Axl can play his old songs. I just think that by ending GNR 1.0, his intentions were more like playing new stuff and burying the past. Sure Slash plays GNR songs, but he plays what? 4 or 5 songs max? That's moving on while still pleasing the crowd, I'd say.

NIN dropped Closer from their set. Metallica are going on tour with the fans creating the setlist...

Again, no problem with playing old music, specially for an old band. But GNR's case is different, cause Axl in some point of his life wanted the world to forget the old band (he even re-recorded AFD!) and now.... well, the last tour was called APETTITE for democracy, right?

My guess would be that Axl intended to record new music up until he realized what exactly he was left with that currently tours as GNR. Axl has always relied on other contributor's input to write, regardless of which era of the band. He was never a sole mastermind. I'm sure he's heard what BBF and DJ had to offer of and kindly passed on the opportunity. Personally, I find it hard to fault him for that considering the quality of their solo material. The only thing that I do fault him for is his inability to let bygones be bygones and reunite the lineup that the majority of us actually want to see. Maybe one day we might not have to pretend anymore.

• Like 2

Great interview!

Credit where it's due, the guy wrote great stuff for the record. I just didnt like his live playing.

He never played live with GNR, Brain and Frank are the only live concert nuGNR drummers.

Edit: I'm an idiot.

Edited by Amir

Great interview!

Credit where it's due, the guy wrote great stuff for the record. I just didnt like his live playing.

He never played live with GNR, Brain and Frank are the only live concert nuGNR drummers.

I think he was talking about Robin.