If Axl takes DJ so much in consideration, shouldn't we?

No because axl doesnt really care... we do :shrugs:

This has been bugging me for a while... Imitate Slash ? I always felt Slash being totally one with his guitar, his music, almost oblivious of what's around him

Uh, yeah, I'd hate to shatter a childhood illusion here but he was at one with more than just his music at that point my love :lol: What, you think those blues bends were what was making his eyes roll back in his head? :lol:

Okay, I know, whatever, but you know what I mean... You agree he was oblivious to what was around him, right ? When I think of Slash, I think of that image. DJ... totally different.

#hoganears

I don't mind DJ, he isn't my favorite musician, but we haven't had a fair chance to judge his work. He hasn't released any original material under Guns N Roses name.

Right now he's just filling in for people that have written the music and left. That's not harsh or unfair I think it's just the truth. I'm excited to see what he brings to a new Guns album. It could be great or it could be terrible. We won't know until it is made and released.

Hopefully one day we will be able to fairly criticize DJ for his musical creativity with Guns instead of how he dresses, and his stage presence.

to OP:in short NO.

NO.

Axl was a genius in the 80s.i think.genius being creative,innovative,introducing a fuck you attitude

to young people who had nothing to lose anyway.LA is a fucking jungle.lots of crack,heroin.

Axl was a hero to many of us at that time.

the hiring of DJ Ashba came 20 yrs later.

Axl isn't the "same".

Axl has changed for the worse.

Axl doesn't care about how good or bad DJ is a musician.

DJ is close to Axl because Axl can gain a lot by having DJ in the band.

a new,younger audience who doesn't know.

money is key here for Axl too.

Axl is 50 something.

cold,hard cash at the cost of art.

Dj was not hired because he was part of Axl's vision. He was hired because Axl needed a replacement for Robin, so they could keep touring.

Hashtags aside, DJ seems to be nice to his fans. He just tries too hard to be a rock star.

to OP:in short NO.

NO.

Axl was a genius in the 80s.i think.genius being creative,innovative,introducing a fuck you attitude

to young people who had nothing to lose anyway.LA is a fucking jungle.lots of crack,heroin.

Axl was a hero to many of us at that time.

the hiring of DJ Ashba came 20 yrs later.

Axl isn't the "same".

Axl has changed for the worse.

Axl doesn't care about how good or bad DJ is a musician.

DJ is close to Axl because Axl can gain a lot by having DJ in the band.

a new,younger audience who doesn't know.

money is key here for Axl too.

Axl is 50 something.

cold,hard cash at the cost of art.

Axl was never a genius, or a "hero". You don't know what Axl is thinking about or why he is close to DJ (if he's even really that close to him)

I created this topic a while ago and it got deleted. I don't know what mod did it, but I know he thought I was trolling. This is not a trolling thread and I think it's an important discussion and I would like if it remained open. Thanks in advance.

Well, I don't know if Axl is a genius. He has brilliant moments as a songwriter, as a singer, as a frontman, but maybe "genius" is a little too much. I hope he proves me wrong one day, though. But something I'm really confident that Axl is, is a visionary. He and the band killed the 80s hard rock by transcending it with the best album on the genre. Of course, later Nirvana helped burry it very down, but Guns N' Roses opened the way.

Axl saw that grunge and industrial were the next big thing as soon as it popped. He's an artist who can very well see where the wind's gonna blow before it does. He has worked with a series of excellent guitarists: Slash, Buckethead, Robin Finck... And from all of those, it seems that DJ Ashba is the one he likes the most, not just as a friend, but from what it's being said on interviews, even as a musician. If Axl takes him so much in consideration, shouldn't we? After all, one thing we can't deny is that Axl has an hability to gather great musicians to work with.

Aren't we talking about a 3rd string team here? You think axl likes this guy more than the others you posted? I bet he likes him more than bumblefoot I'd agree with that, but I think we would've seen an album by now if he was all excited about DJ musically. DJ just seems like he's that guy that would do whatever to seem like a rockstar. It's like he's an actor playing a role in a movie or something. I just think all these guys are Axl's touring band and he doesn't have the confidence in them to do an album.

I think Axl has a retro, working backwards way of creating. An artist isn't always innovative or experimental. An artist expresses through the tools they have or the medium they work in. CD was made in a similar way to AFD or UYI, not really ground breaking stuff, but well crafted, emotionally honest.

I don't know, maybe it's like a painting once it's finished, you clean your brushes and put it up on the wall and then move on get some new paints and start again. Dj is like a new pot of paint. The themes or the soul of the artist is similar but he's going to express it slightly different.

It's like what ever we are going through now, it has a soundtrack. Whether that's Sixx am or True Detective. That influences you as you work on your stuff. It might just inspire you. It seems like Axl could be like I want to do GNR meets Sixx Am song or Beautiful Creatures, it's a way forward if needed. Keeps things fresh.

I used to defend DJ quite a lot due to his stage presence and optimistism. However, the way he behaves in the social media and interviews is just unacceptable. He's such a tool, I feel insulted at times. Dude belongs in a band like Avenged Sevenfold, Sixx:A.M. or Bullet For My Valentine, not in Guns N' Roses. If he played like BH, alright, I'd accept it. But man, he's so average...

• Like 1

It's really simple. Axl likes DJ. Does he trust in DJ's skills as a guitar player? I'd say so. As a songwriter/producer? Not a chance. The guys has been in the band for years now and how many songs have GNR released feat. DJ? Yeah...

Like I said before, DJ was hired to fill in Robin's spot so they could keep touring. There's no clear sign that Axl wants DJ to write songs aside from DJ himself claiming he's in Guns not only to play Robin/Slash's parts. In fact, as time goes by, it's getting clearer Axl has no faith in DJ's material. 5 years = 0 songs released.

I'm not complaining. Judging from other projects, DJ music is mediocre and makes Slash music sound like The Dillinger Escape Plan. I want new music more than anything, but by new I mean CD leftovers with Bucket and Robin.

Edited by ProstituteComa

DJ honestly has more in common with Slash than people give him credit for. The focus on image, the hat, the self-promotion, the social media, the loose playing style live.

And that's why i don't like him

Slash focuses on image? He has dressed the same way for 25 years.

But the one way that DJ doesn't mirror or copy Slash is in his ability to write iconic music. With GnR, Slash wrote, created and helped make famous some of the most iconic, time-tested and beloved rock in roll music of the past 25 years. What has DJ done?

DJ honestly has more in common with Slash than people give him credit for. The focus on image, the hat, the self-promotion, the social media, the loose playing style live.

And that's why i don't like him

Slash focuses on image? He has dressed the same way for 25 years.

But the one way that DJ doesn't mirror or copy Slash is in his ability to write iconic music. With GnR, Slash wrote, created and helped make famous some of the most iconic, time-tested and beloved rock in roll music of the past 25 years. What has DJ done?

The day Slash creates his own clothing line and says he's more an entrepeneur than a guitar player I'll agree he focuses on his image. As long as he keeps releasing albums, making videos, giving interviews, I'd say he focuses on his carreer, like any other regular musician.

Dj was not hired because he was part of Axl's vision. He was hired because Axl needed a replacement for Robin, so they could keep touring.

Hashtags aside, DJ seems to be nice to his fans. He just tries too hard to be a rock star.

So has just about everyone that was ever in this band though.

For god's sake, Slash never met an onstage pose he didn't like, and Duff always seemed to be photographed with the liquor and cigartettes perfectly placed.

And Axl, my god, he is your stereotypical crazy frontman.

As usual, people that suddenly have a problem with behavior that has been present since day one are really expressing their frustration that its different guys exhibiting it than who they's like to see in the roles.

Wrong. Robin, Buckethead, Pitman, Stimson were all hired because Axl had an album to make.

They were all young, it was the 80s, they had an image of course, but their music mattered more, IMO.

DJ is a 40 years old emo girl who has yet to record a note for GNR. If you're ok with that good for you, try to understand some people aren't. It will change when DJ leaves the makeup behind and records a rocking tune with Axl.

Wrong. Robin, Buckethead, Pitman, Stimson were all hired because Axl had an album to make.

They were all young, it was the 80s, they had an image of course, but their music mattered more, IMO.

DJ is a 40 years old emo girl who has yet to record a note for GNR. If you're ok with that good for you, try to understand some people aren't. It will change when DJ leaves the makeup behind and records a rocking tune with Axl.

We all started following a band with names like Axl, Slash, Izzy and Duff. Who all dressed like comic book characters and acted accordingly.

Seems we are getting pretty high and mighty late in the game on what is silly, what is forced, and what is all image, no?

Do I care about DJ? Simply put, no. I don't care about any of them. This "band", if you can even call it that, is Axl and a bunch of dudes. All this hand wringing over who is in his touring band is silly to me. Who the hell cares? It matters what the latest guy looks like that Axl has hired to play on 'Nightrain'?

• Like 1

Yeah, but the difference is that the older members might've had their own image or whatever but they had the stuff to back it up and then some. Even with old NuGnR, look at Buckethead, his image is wholly based on a weird "gimmick", but his talent actually surpassed his weirdness and gave him license to be Buckethead.

It's a matter of style and substance vs style over substance. Until DJ proves otherwise, he falls into the latter category.

• Like 1

Yeah, but the difference is that the older members might've had their own image or whatever but they had the stuff to back it up and then some. Even with old NuGnR, look at Buckethead, his image is wholly based on a weird "gimmick", but his talent actually surpassed his weirdness and gave him license to be Buckethead.

It's a matter of style and substance vs style over substance. Until DJ proves otherwise, he falls into the latter category.

What are you basing it on though? His performance on concert bootlegs, of songs he had nothing to do with?

Don't you need to see him on some original Guns N' Roses material to say that?