Metallica debuts new song during recent concert - Will Gn'R do the same?

What Will New Songs Be  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"METALLICA played a brand new song, "The Lords Of Summer", live for the first time earlier tonight (Sunday, March 16) during the opening concert of the band's South American tour in Bogota, Colombia. The trek features the band playing all-request shows, and introduces the new track into the group's set."

There is some talk that GnR shouldn't debut new material as it would somehow hurt the sales of the next album? I don't agree and think that anything positive GnR does is a benefit to future releases.

Now that it's getting really close to the live shows beginning, just for fun, what do you think the potential "2-3" new songs might be?

Edited by Black Sabbath
Edited thread title

I would think a new cover song.

Axl could barely, barely pull of OMG 13 years ago. 13 years later, no way can he do it justice

What UYI songs? Again, can he pull of Locomotive? Breakdown? Highly unlikely

Yesterdays? Maybe, but it's gonna be full falsetto which I wouldn't want to hear

Going Down is a possibility...that and/or a cover

And if it's Going Down - will it be Axl on main vocals?

I would hope not. I think his background vocals are what make the song good. If he sang lead, he'd just screech thru the whole thing.

The hints of his voice on some of the lines is great. It's a great touch that would be ruined if he sang lead. Stinson's fine

I was disappointed seeing the Metallica setlist because it looks like a regular Metallica gig. Surely fans would vote for Frayed Ends of Sanity. At least I would.

As for Axl, I voted UYI songs because that's most likely what it will be. Or a cover, which is a joke.

The only cover I'd accept would be Mean Bone.

I voted brand new song, because that is what I want the most. Going Down, because I like it, and with Tommy on vocals too, completely agree with Sixes. Plus, it is new too. And something 'new' from UYI, because that seems the likely option. Wouldn't know what song that would be. Yesterdays is tossed around a lot. Why ? Were there rumours of it being in the setlist ?

GN'R doesn't follow Metallica rules.

What?

Before CD came out, GnR were playing four unreleased songs.

Metallica isn't the first band to debut new music before an album comes out. Most bands do this. For some reason, some people have been saying that GnR shouldn't follow this trend as it hurt sales of CD and would hurt sales of the follow up album.

It isn't a competition between the two bands, nor is it one band following the other's rules.

All though I do wish GnR put out as much music as Metallica puts out for their fans.

I voted brand new song, because that is what I want the most. Going Down, because I like it, and with Tommy on vocals too, completely agree with Sixes. Plus, it is new too. And something 'new' from UYI, because that seems the likely option. Wouldn't know what song that would be. Yesterdays is tossed around a lot. Why ? Were there rumours of it being in the setlist ?

No rumors - it's just a really underrated song IMO. And probably pretty easy to sing live.

Forum fans complained/requested the band add Civil War and Estranged.........they got added.

Forum fans complained/requested the return of You're Crazy............it got added.

So now people are just going down the list and seeing what other old songs they'd like to see added. Yesterdays, OMG, Perfect Crime, Locomotive seem to be the favs?

GN'R doesn't follow Metallica rules.

What?

Before CD came out, GnR were playing four unreleased songs.

more than 4 ...cd. the blues, riad, madagascar, silkworms, better, twat, irs...but not all of them regularly of course ;)

• Like 1

I was disappointed seeing the Metallica setlist because it looks like a regular Metallica gig. Surely fans would vote for Frayed Ends of Sanity. At least I would.

As for Axl, I voted UYI songs because that's most likely what it will be. Or a cover, which is a joke.

(imo) any time a band has a set-list "vote" then the main hits shouldn't be included as a part of the vote.

• Like 1

(imo) any time a band has a set-list "vote" then the main hits shouldn't be included as a part of the vote.

I agree. It sort of defeats the purpose of letting fans vote.

Probably a better way to do it would be to make a list of the songs you rarely play anymore and then let the fans vote on them. You obviously are going to play your 15 biggest hits - but then leave 5 spots open for songs the fans vote for from a list of 20 other songs (not included in your top 15).

So for GnR you'd be voting on songs like yesterdays, perfect crime, omg, locomotive, coma..........and not on Nov Rain, SCOM, etc.

• Like 1

"METALLICA played a brand new song, "The Lords Of Summer", live for the first time earlier tonight (Sunday, March 16) during the opening concert of the band's South American tour in Bogota, Colombia. The trek features the band playing all-request shows, and introduces the new track into the group's set."

There is some talk that GnR shouldn't debut new material as it would somehow hurt the sales of the next album? I don't agree and think that anything positive GnR does is a benefit to future releases.

Now that it's getting really close to the live shows beginning, just for fun, what do you think the potential "2-3" new songs might be?

"Well.. we were gonna play a new song but James decided to upstage me again...thats too bad for you fans who waited patiently for a new song. For whatever reasons James and Lars have it in for me and they felt it was in their organizations best interest to steal our thunder ...We wont be playing you a new song tonight.. You want to know why you ask Metallica...DJ will now play you another cover that you might enjoy...