Wine & Cheese

Ace Nova

Guest Len B'stard

So what do you do, what, bung a bit of cheese in your mouth and bang out a slug of wine...and what? Tastes nice?

So what do you do, what, bung a bit of cheese in your mouth and bang out a slug of wine...and what? Tastes nice?

Nah you barbarian. Just enjoy the tastes separately and them mingle in your mouth after each bite/sip.

• Like 1

Spread cheese on crackers with a bit of cured meat such as parma ham, have a few sips of wine which accentuates the tastes after swallowing.

Not talking about chugging box wine and string cheese here mate :lol:

Edited by Tater Totts
  • Like 1

Never tried it but im game for a laugh :)

If you're not a cheese eater, start with a lighter variety like a mild cheddar. In fact, start by exploring British cheese, there is fantastic and amazing variety and they go beautifully with wine and will be easier on the palette. Not to mention the fact that knowing where they come from will mean that you understand the whole 'local' thing better and will appreciate what you're eating.

It's always an acquired taste (especially with red wine) but its pretty amazing (like PiL live) and once you go there, you can't go back!!!!

Guest NGOG

Can imagine Lenny with a few packets of cheese-strings and ASDA's 'fine range' red! :lol:

Watch your mouth! Lenny has a fine appreciation of the finer things in life. Don't get fooled by his amateur tone. :D

I'm just bursting his balls, Lenny is my boy.

• Like 1

So what cheeses go with what wines? :)

I think some of the members here were pretty spot on....a decent red wine will usually go down well with a sharp cheese. The Merlot and sharp Parmesan cheese I had last evening was an excellent combination. You can also throw in some decent crackers or toasted bread and some type of cured or smoked meat. :thumbsup:

Edited by Kasanova King

So what cheeses go with what wines? :)

What I like to follow is match power, not flavour. That works very well with wine (or whisky) and food as well.

When you have a fairly delicate fruity wine, there's no use in combining it with a powerful Gorgonzola or a very old Gouda or anything. The wine will be completely overpowered. I'd have a young herbal cheese or something with that. Or maybe something like Port Salut. Maybe a Brie.

With a slightly more powerful red wine (like most Cabernet Sauvignons) maybe a piece of Emmental, but not much stronger.

But with a very strong full Malbec or Sirah (or an old port or sherry) you can easily use a very (salted) old cheese or a powerful blue cheese.

Be sure there's some balance in the flavours. In my experience most cheese shops have decent wine knowledge and vice versa. They can give good advice.

Flavours work well when you combine opposite flavours imo. With wine and cheese this isn't much of an issue. But with foods I'd rather have a fresh white wine with a fruity desert than a fruity red wine. Whisky also. It often works better to combine smoked fish with a more fruity or malty whisky, rather than a smoky whisky.

Edited by username
  • Like 2

That stuff looks absolutely fucking disgusting.

Would eat.

Mate it's really strong but INCREDIBLY creamy and the charcoal gives it a slightly gritty texture which may sound horrible but it's fucking not! :)

Guest Len B'stard

Bought this today. Absolutely gorgeous black charcoal mature cheddar. :)

194A6221-825F-43B5-A209-E269AD488711_zps

Whaaaaat the bumboclaat is that? :lol: Looks like a knackered Christmas pudding :lol:

Not sure if it will stop you farting but doctors use charcoal when treating patients with alcoholic poisoning. Might save you from having your stomach pumped, Christopher! Consume with copious amounts of alcohol to see if it works. ;)

Charcoal is also incredibly useful to the skin, so if the missus doesn't like it she could probably melt her share and spread it over face for a kind of facial. Probably not scalding hot though. :D

4tx7gh.jpg

We should have an official wine & cheese forum day of the week. We could dedicate a thread to it and anyone that participates in it can post what type of wine and cheese they are drinking/eating that day.

I nominate Thursdays. They already are considered a "drinking day" and it's close enough to the weekend without cutting into the weekend.

What do you guys think?

Classy as fuck.

Rich people shit; my parent do this on holidays because they can afford it. But an expensive bottle of wine and an assorted variety of cheeses and sausages. It's ridiculous. Some blocks of cheese can be ten dollars in itself.

Like I said, a case of PBR for fifteen dollars and spend maybe fifteen on some specialty peanuts and you're going to pay half the price.

Wine goes bad faster too.

Rich people shit; my parent do this on holidays because they can afford it. But an expensive bottle of wine and an assorted variety of cheeses and sausages. It's ridiculous. Some blocks of cheese can be ten dollars in itself.

Like I said, a case of PBR for fifteen dollars and spend maybe fifteen on some specialty peanuts and you're going to pay half the price.

Wine goes bad faster too.

Actually, you can find some decent wines on sale (even buy one get one free down here in Florida)....and get yourself about (2) 750 ML bottles (the equivalent of drinking close to 10-12 beers) for about $10-$12 and a half decent (small) block of cheese for around $5 (or even less)....so there you go....

And most wines gets better with age.

And on a side note, nothing against PBR....I drink it from time to time but it wouldn't be my first choice in beer. I prefer Heineken or Becks and both of those are substantially more than $15.00 a case.

Edited by Kasanova King