Wine & Cheese

Ace Nova

Don't knock it until you try it....just sayin'.

:P

In all seriousness...had some real Italian Parmesan cheese this evening, some ring bologna and a few glasses of a decent vintage Merlot....and I must say, the whole "wine and cheese" thing is pretty much spot on....excellent combination. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Yellow Tail makes awesome wine. Good wine doesn't even matter what region it is from, I mean I guess wine enthusiasts will disagree with me, but I've had great wine from all over the world.

I've had Georgian wine before, Stalin's favorite. If it is good enough for an evil tyrant, it is good enough for me. Wine and ale has some historic authenticity to it.

• Like 2

Yes and yes.

Had some Saint-Emilion the other day for the first time in years, probably the only wine I can identify by taste, my favourite. I had a great year in the Bordeaux region :D I miss all the dessert wines like Sauternes, too expensive here.

You could get amazing Saint-Emilion there for 5 euros, I managed to find a good one here for £10 to take for a dinner, my host was very impressed.

Edited by Amir
  • Like 1

today i had Gorgonzola cheese with cheap semi-sweet Martini Auguri and some strawberries

seems like a legit breakfast in Chioggia ;)

I've had Georgian wine before, Stalin's favorite. If it is good enough for an evil tyrant, it is good enough for me. Wine and ale has some historic authenticity to it.

i've heard Stalin loved Aleksandrouli. i think they don't make them like this anymore. modern Georgian wine is awful

Big fat yes to both.

I prefer strong bold spicy wines. Malbec or Sirah grapes. Not a fan of most Merlot's I've had, although there are a few rare gems in there. Some Cabernet Sauvignon is quite tasty as well. And a nice fruity Pinot Noir can be lovely. I'm not a huge wine expert, but I do know what I like.

I really enjoyed a lot of wines from the Algarve when I was there. But the good ones don't get exported much.

I'm not a huge fan of white wine overall, but again there are exceptions. The Greek Verdea is amazing, for example.

I detest rose.

I do love a good old port or sherry as well by the way. A good glass of vintage Pedro Ximinez or Olorosso is fantastic.

As far as cheese goes I'm really ok with most things, as long as it combines with the drink. With a strong raisin-sweet sherry I love a strong blue cheese. Or very old ones. I mean... Man.. Gorgonzola, Paramasan, Port Salut, Feta, Emmentaler, Gruyère, Camembert... Not too much of a Brie fan to be honest. The only cheeses I really don't like much are the extremely strong smelling like week old sweaty feet ones.

Edited by username
  • Like 2

Brilliant combination.

Always tend to have it in the evenings when we have family over throughout the year.

Christmas and New Years tend to blur into several days of sitting in PJs, eating cheese and cold meats, and washing it down with wine and port.

• Like 2

I don't know anything about port but I'll take your word they're good ;) Was mostly consumed during evenings playing Risk with fellow uni students who unironically wore waistcoats and tweed. I felt slightly out of place but the port was damn fine.

I don't know anything about port but I'll take your word they're good ;) Was mostly consumed during evenings playing Risk with fellow uni students who unironically wore waistcoats and tweed. I felt slightly out of place but the port was damn fine.

This is sherry. ;) Even sweeter en thicker than the average 10 year old tawny port. :)

• Like 1

OMG! Best thread ever!!! For me, wine and cheese is heaven. In the summer I tend to prefer white wine (as here it can be really hot and then a chilled white is delicious) and I feel it doesn't go as well with cheese and red does, so I tend to indulge in that combination in the cooler months. Like right now!

For cheese I love it all from a soft creamy brie, a sharp cheddar or Parmigiano Reggiano, or an aged Gouda, or an exquisite Gruyere, a creamy Gorganzola or a bitey Roquefort. Locally we have an amazing Brie called 'Roaring Forties' which is better than any French Brie I've ever tasted, or Merideth Dairy goats cheese, without a doubt the most sublime goats cheese I've ever tasted EVER! So creamy and so distinct. And fucking expensive but worth every cent.

My all time favourite though would be a blue cheese. A good French Roquefort is unbeatable. Danish Blue Castello comes pretty close (and is much cheaper) and both are divine with several reds (ALWAYS RED WINE WITH CHEESE): chianti (the best when its good!), cab sauv merlot, straight merlot, Shiraz (but only a good bottle, preferably Australian), Sangiovese, Tempranillo and there are some really good Riojas too.

Red wine and cheese = heaven :awesomeface:

The last meal I would ever want to eat on this earth is a cheese board with some exquisite red wine. :)

• Like 2

Love wine and cheese. For me it is all about the cheese, but a nice red complements a strong cheese perfectly. Grew up with Gouda as our main cheese of course, but later discovered Havarti, gruyere, brie, swiss, Roquefort. I avoid the crackers as I think there is enough flavour between the wine and cheese.

I prefer white, but tend to pair that with fruit: berries, grapes,, melons. Sometimes include brie with that. A light Riesling, brie and berry lunch is lovely.