Wine & Cheese

Ace Nova

I mean wine goes bad once it's opened.

Red wines usually stay for a few days at room temperature and white wines are usually ok as well, refrigerated for a few days.

I'm not advising you to switch over or anything....I'm just saying it's not nearly as expensive as people think.

Okay, all I am saying is as a college student, I am not about to go out and buy a few blocks of cheese, sausage and wine. :lol:

I hear ya buddy! Wine gives you the shittest hangovers too.

I mean wine goes bad once it's opened.

Red wines usually stay for a few days at room temperature and white wines are usually ok as well, refrigerated for a few days.

I'm not advising you to switch over or anything....I'm just saying it's not nearly as expensive as people think.

You can get a good red for ten bucks. Never spend more than $20 on a bottle unless you are going to some fancy dinner party or gifting. Or at least a special occasion.

And red wine can hold out for more than a few days.

Summer sausage sounds like a good idea now.

• Like 1

Okay, all I am saying is as a college student, I am not about to go out and buy a few blocks of cheese, sausage and wine. :lol:

Cheap, shit wine does. And I find that more with white than red.

Classy as fuck.

Rich people shit; my parent do this on holidays because they can afford it. But an expensive bottle of wine and an assorted variety of cheeses and sausages. It's ridiculous. Some blocks of cheese can be ten dollars in itself.

Like I said, a case of PBR for fifteen dollars and spend maybe fifteen on some specialty peanuts and you're going to pay half the price.

Wine goes bad faster too.

The irony is that the origins of most cheese and wine is really peasant food. In many European countries it was sometimes all the poor folks had. Wine was all they drank and they made the cheese themselves. Now it's perceived as highbrow in some countries but generally not the ones where most cheese originates from. It's still just a staple in their diet.

This. But the same goes for cheap beer or cheap whisky. Cheap stuff gives you massively fucked up hangovers. Paying for the good stuff is worth it if only because of that aspect. :lol:

It has a chemical explanation too. I'm not sure, but I think it had to with the the types of alcohol's that are prominent in the drink. Methanol, ethanol etc.

Classy as fuck.

Rich people shit; my parent do this on holidays because they can afford it. But an expensive bottle of wine and an assorted variety of cheeses and sausages. It's ridiculous. Some blocks of cheese can be ten dollars in itself.

Like I said, a case of PBR for fifteen dollars and spend maybe fifteen on some specialty peanuts and you're going to pay half the price.

The irony is that the origins of most cheese and wine is really peasant food. In many European countries it was sometimes all the poor folks had. Wine was all they drank and they made the cheese themselves. Now it's perceived as highbrow in some countries but generally not the ones where most cheese originates from. It's still just a staple in their diet.

Actually, wine was drunk by wealthier Europeans because it could only be grown in certain regions. The poor drank ale. Ale was one of the few things both poor and nobility mutually enjoy.

Classy as fuck.

Actually, wine was drunk by wealthier Europeans because it could only be grown in certain regions. The poor drank ale. Ale was one of the few things both poor and nobility mutually enjoy.

I think you're both right....when it comes to Italy, anyway. Lower/middle class farmers, to this day make, their own wine and cheese and have been doing so for hundreds of years in Italy....and I'm pretty sure it's almost the same way in France as well.

Well yeah, if they live in the region that produces wine, I mean who produces the wine? The peasantry, so they keep whatever surplus as any peasants would. But if a peasant lives far enough away, then they would not likely drink wine since transporting of wine would be really expensive.

I think you're both right....when it comes to Italy, anyway. Lower/middle class farmers, to this day make, their own wine and cheese and have been doing so for hundreds of years in Italy....and I'm pretty sure it's almost the same way in France as well.

That's not what being a farmer is about? It's like those guys fishing Alaskan king crab, it costs a fortune but they can eat plenty of it "for free". It doesn't mean it isn't directed to the upper classes in the general market.

A good farmer makes his own alcohol and kills his own food.

That's not what being a farmer is about? It's like those guys fishing Alaskan king crab, it costs a fortune but they can eat plenty of it "for free". It doesn't mean it isn't directed to the upper classes in the general market.

A good farmer makes his own alcohol and kills his own food.

Maybe some....but a lot of the farmers I knew wouldn't make it to resell....just for themselves, family and friends.

Edited by Kasanova King

Classy as fuck.

To my limited knowledge I think that it's only England and the Netherlands that have a rich cheese culture that would have drunk ale. Even Germany has a long history in wine production and today most of the cheeses that are associated as being great to eat while drinking wine are French, Italian and Spanish cheeses. They have always been wine producers, beer is even to this day only drunk by younger people. In fact wine has gone out of fashion in France amongst young people, hence what they call the 'Wine Lake', basically an overproduction of wine they can barely get rid of.

one of my favorite drinking games. a few bottles of wine and a cheese board (camembert, gouda, goat cheese, boursin (thats a brand i think). throw song grapes in to pretend it's healthy. I think if you eat that much cheese you need the alcohol to help you digest it. If you have crackers or french bread and some chorizo sausage basically it's like a deconstructed pizza for ponces.

What is Cracker Barrel I keep hearing refs on tv shows. Is it like the Ikea of cheese and wine?

As a college student here, wine is (surprisingly) the cheapest thing to get drunk on. I think it's because it's taxed lower than beer and liquor... so most of our drinking games are played with cheap boxed wine rather than cheap beer.

I grew up in a wine-producing region and a lot of my friend's families worked on or owned vineyards... Also my family is Italian, so wine and cheese were around at the end of most meals growing up. There was always a block of parmigiano-reggiano and some rough-tasting homemade red at Nonno's house. :lol:

I like tannic reds, generally I'll grab a Cab Sav or a Syrah (we call it Shiraz)... but I'll drink just about anything except a Rose. Always with cheese!

• Like 1

As a college student here, wine is (surprisingly) the cheapest thing to get drunk on. I think it's because it's taxed lower than beer and liquor... so most of our drinking games are played with cheap boxed wine rather than cheap beer.

I grew up in a wine-producing region and a lot of my friend's families worked on or owned vineyards... Also my family is Italian, so wine and cheese were around at the end of most meals growing up. There was always a block of parmigiano-reggiano and some rough-tasting homemade red at Nonno's house. :lol:

I like tannic reds, generally I'll grab a Cab Sav or a Syrah (we call it Shiraz)... but I'll drink just about anything except a Rose. Always with cheese!

Nothing like a couple of mates, an hour of nothing to do and a large box of goon. :lol:

Nothing like a couple of mates, an hour of nothing to do and a large box of goon. :lol:

Goon of Fortune:

I like cabernets, I like freshly baked bread to go with it more than cheese, or have it with dinner. Most wineries are a waste of money for their tastings but if they're new or have entertainment of some sort, I'll check it out. Eventually I'll try to make it out to Europe and check different places out, one of the bars near me does beer, wine, and Scotch tours and their trips weren't outrageously priced.