Noblesville, Indiana, US - Pro-Shot - 1991.05.29

Definitely one of the worst periods for Axl's vocals as far as the original band goes.

He changed so much between 1987 (go listen to the Marquee show) and 1991 (this). Way, way moreso than 2010->2014.

Still a great show as far as quality and energy goes though. Perfect Crime is amazing.

I thought this was the first Nobelsville show where Axl referenced Auchwitz and i was like fuck yeah, new proshot when i opened this!! Oh well. Great show. Love the '91 leg of the Illusion tour!!

Edited by ChineseIRS

What a glorious mess those guys were. Love them so fucking much. Sure, there's too much rasp and Slash seems to forget to play the guitar sometimes, but if that's what you're focused on watching this show, you've missed the point. Mesmerizing band.

• Like 1

Way too raspy??

If he sang like this all the time now i'd never say a word to complain. I absolutely love it

this is what AXL ROSE sounds like

agreed. this is axl rose. his voice may be off (very very rarely) but the energy and stage presence more than make up for it. can't say the same thing about axl since 2011. voice and energy of an old lady.

• Like 1

Does Chicago 92 exist in this quality?

The best I've seen of the Chicago show is a VHS-rip with the VCR on-screen messages appearing periodically.

This, on the other hand, looks terrific.

There's a better version of Chicago out there than that one. Don't know where to get the full version but here's a clip that I believe is from the better source:

The Indiana show to me was a below average show from the UYI era. For this statement I will probably get flogged but that is my take on it.

Axl sounded like shit there was no power he was just screaming with rasp and how in the hell can he be on key singing like that. He had tons of energy even with the fucked up heel and ligament.

Slashes playing was at best average.

The setlist was bad too the concert did not flow very well at all. In their defense they were still feeling out what songs off of UYI would work better live and keep the crowd going.

I think somewhere around early to mid 92 GNR hit their stride, Axl still had way too much rasp but he had control over it most of the time. Axl still had a huge amount of energy but was in better shape and his vocals didn't suffer as much.

The others in the band improved their playing of the songs live which make for a better concert experience.

Anyone can pick a song or 2 from shows back then and say look at this GNR at there best but if you take the time to watch the WHOLE concert you will see most of the time those where exceptions not the rule.

Hell I love the AFD and UYI era GNR, I grew up on it but I don't turn a blind eye just because it was the original or UYI era band so it has to be the best, I have an open mind.

As I have said before late 87 to early 88 was the best I ever heard Axl sound but the rest of the band wasn't quite as refined.

And right behind that is the 2006 GNR you had Axl with clean vocals with some rasp, I will admit mickey mouse did appear from time to time, and the band was very tight. Hell Bumblefoot done a hell of a job considering his prep time for the tour. BBF at times did shred on the old songs too much but as the tour went on he stayed more with the original sound and added some of his own flare at times which he should have done he is BBF not Slash.

I just look at the new GNR like this, accept it, embrace it and enjoy it while it last because we are not far from retirement and there is nothing to suggest a reunion will ever happen and it does I will accept it also.

• Like 2

The Indiana show to me was a below average show from the UYI era. For this statement I will probably get flogged but that is my take on it.

Axl sounded like shit there was no power he was just screaming with rasp and how in the hell can he be on key singing like that. He had tons of energy even with the fucked up heel and ligament.

Slashes playing was at best average.

The setlist was bad too the concert did not flow very well at all. In their defense they were still feeling out what songs off of UYI would work better live and keep the crowd going.

I think somewhere around early to mid 92 GNR hit their stride, Axl still had way too much rasp but he had control over it most of the time. Axl still had a huge amount of energy but was in better shape and his vocals didn't suffer as much.

The others in the band improved their playing of the songs live which make for a better concert experience.

Anyone can pick a song or 2 from shows back then and say look at this GNR at there best but if you take the time to watch the WHOLE concert you will see most of the time those where exceptions not the rule.

Hell I love the AFD and UYI era GNR, I grew up on it but I don't turn a blind eye just because it was the original or UYI era band so it has to be the best, I have an open mind.

As I have said before late 87 to early 88 was the best I ever heard Axl sound but the rest of the band wasn't quite as refined.

And right behind that is the 2006 GNR you had Axl with clean vocals with some rasp, I will admit mickey mouse did appear from time to time, and the band was very tight. Hell Bumblefoot done a hell of a job considering his prep time for the tour. BBF at times did shred on the old songs too much but as the tour went on he stayed more with the original sound and added some of his own flare at times which he should have done he is BBF not Slash.

I just look at the new GNR like this, accept it, embrace it and enjoy it while it last because we are not far from retirement and there is nothing to suggest a reunion will ever happen and it does I will accept it also.

Great post.

And everyone with access to YouTube has seen this show before.. Why was it necessary to make a thread about it now

Being able to comment and discuss specifics and musical moments you like with other people is great, it is intersting to revisit these great shows

Anyways this is such a cool show. Sure Axl's rasp in 1991 and 1992 was at times a bit heavy handed but his energy and power vocally made up for it and this was a magical band to watch. Not to bring a new vs. old argument to the surface but at the end up the day what we got back then is not what we have now.... it was pure magic back then, even the flaws and imperfections that were evident at the time can't take away from that

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

It seems a bit sacred to criticize his voice during their heyday. An un-biased opinion of his voice during this show, I'm sure, would be that it sucked. I wouldn't even call this singing, during his high notes. Nowadays people are so critical of his voice during live shows.

• Like 1

The best I've seen of the Chicago show is a VHS-rip with the VCR on-screen messages appearing periodically.

There's a better version of Chicago out there than that one. Don't know where to get the full version but here's a clip that I believe is from the better source:

This is the best copy of the Chicago show http://www.gunsnroses.us/tracker/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=faee2a329716af74f5ac5b76162b72912a657432

This is the best show from 1991 I reckon

Axl was at his craziest in 1991 it was like he was trying to blow his voice box or something

Edited by Gibbo 27
  • Like 1

This show is better than ANY NUgnr concert, any line up. Anyone that disagrees smokes crack.

And this show is just slightly above average for classicgnr, but finding good audio/video of Izzy Illusions shows is not easy. I'll take this show over most Gilby shows, Izzy was just way more of a prominate personality, his presence really balances Axl and Slash out imo.

• Like 3

Heres the torrent for the best copy of this show if anyone wants a copy

http://www.gunsnroses.us/tracker/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=efdf1c96e282c03780df064fe49dbf9ff6d469b6

Guns N' Roses
May 29, 1991
Deer Creek Music Center
Noblesville, Indiana, USA
Note:
This is a DVD I got in a trade, it contained broken chapters and titles so I have re-authorized the DVD with correct chapter points. This is not the best capture from this source since the whole show is fitted into a one disc only. But I think it's a pretty good upgrade compare to the other versions thats are circulating from this show.

Setlist:
01. Eveybody Knows (Intro)
02. Right Next Door To Hell
03. Mr. Brownstone
04. Bad Obsession
05. Dust N' Bones
06. Double Talkin' Jive
07. I Was Only Joking, Patience
08. Civil War
09. 14 Years
10. Live And Let Die
11. It's So Easy
--- Small cut after 'It's so Easy' and 'Band Introductions' ---
12. Band Introductions, Solos
13. Godfather Theme
14. Rocket Queen
15. November Rain
16. Only Women Bleed (Intro)
17. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
18. Perfect Crime
19. Estranged
20. Bad Time, Sweet Child O'Mine
21. Welcome To The Jungle
22. Paradise City

Edited by Gibbo 27

Isn't this where the epic Perfect Crime took place where he went apeshit like 17 songs in? The guy was a fucking unbelievable performer, we saw a resurgence in 06 and 10 which was near faultless all things considered but this was back when the ferocious banshee Axl was in his prime going off like a caustic firework spiraling into a stormy night.

Isn't this where the epic Perfect Crime took place where he went apeshit like 17 songs in? The guy was a fucking unbelievable performer, we saw a resurgence in 06 and 10 which was near faultless all things considered but this was back when the ferocious banshee Axl was in his prime going off like a caustic firework spiraling into a stormy night.

This.

Anyone that thinks any performances post 2000 are better than this are seriously delusional. We talk about "fire" and "rasp" all the time, well he has both in spades during this show. As Sixes said, when he is out of tune he has the power in his voice to just motor through it.

Edited by Mike420
  • Like 1

I prefer 'way too raspy' Axl than 'terribly weak mickey mouse out of breath every 5 seconds" Axl.

When I heard these bootlegs back in the day, I never minded the "way too raspy" shows. People always complain about the Estranged intro from Tokyo 92, but that doesn't bother me one bit. If anything, it gave the performances even more personality.

• Like 1

This is the best copy of the Chicago show http://www.gunsnroses.us/tracker/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=faee2a329716af74f5ac5b76162b72912a657432

This is the best show from 1991 I reckon

Axl was at his craziest in 1991 it was like he was trying to blow his voice box or something

I have both the gnrtracker ones. They're great.