Last full album you listened to?

Broskirose

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Tattoo You - The Rolling Stones, again.  Its a fucking belter.  I mean I'd given it a once over before but this is my first time with repeated listens (except Start Me Up and Little T&A, which have been extensively listened to), its a fucking belter...again.  I repeat, where are these bad Stones albums, its the 80s now and I've yet to hear one, this has got to be the most fantastic run of albums I've ever heard of.

Dirty Work and Undercover

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Dirty Work and Undercover

I just realised I’ve skipped Emotional Rescue!  Well if the aforementioned are shit I’ll do Emotional Rescue next, though Tattoo You is gonna spend some time on heavy rotation i feel.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I just realised I’ve skipped Emotional Rescue!  Well if the aforementioned are shit I’ll do Emotional Rescue next, though Tattoo You is gonna spend some time on heavy rotation i feel.

They were both made during the feud.

Undercover does have its ''fans'', one or two. Dirty Work however is widely considered the worst Stones album. Even the sleeve is awful,

DirtyworkRS.jpg

I used to have it on cassette and I've never bothered to replace it.

13 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Tattoo You - The Rolling Stones, again.  Its a fucking belter.  I mean I'd given it a once over before but this is my first time with repeated listens (except Start Me Up and Little T&A, which have been extensively listened to), its a fucking belter...again.  I repeat, where are these bad Stones albums, its the 80s now and I've yet to hear one, this has got to be the most fantastic run of albums I've ever heard of.

The 80s albums are the best. Undercover is pretty good too. 

Steel Wheels might actually be the worsest one. It seems like the  first album that was made just to promo a tour. 

Edited by wasted

1 hour ago, wasted said:

The 80s albums are the best. Undercover is pretty good too. 

Steel Wheels might actually be the worsest one. It seems like the  first album that was made just to promo a tour. 

There is some fairly good stuff on there. Keith was peaking from that point on. I love the Keith songs on Steel Wheels and Voodoo. 

13 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is some fairly good stuff on there. Keith was peaking from that point on. I love the Keith songs on Steel Wheels and Voodoo. 

Voodoo was a return to form, I saw that tour. A big dragon thing breathed fire and Skeleton Jagger came out to Not Fade Away. 

Theres a big single on Wheels like Start Me Up? I remember my friends dad driving us to school to that album. That and Roy Orbison. He was always getting done for drink driving. He crashed his new Lexus into a tree outside his house listening to Steel Wheels. That’s how I discovered the Stones. 

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

Voodoo was a return to form, I saw that tour. A big dragon thing breathed fire and Skeleton Jagger came out to Not Fade Away. 

Theres a big single on Wheels like Start Me Up? I remember my friends dad driving us to school to that album. That and Roy Orbison. He was always getting done for drink driving. He crashed his new Lexus into a tree outside his house listening to Steel Wheels. That’s how I discovered the Stones. 

Well ''Start Me Up'' was their last certifiable ''must play'' hit so there is nothing present as big as that, but it probably had as many big songs as Voodoo did, ''Rock in a Hard Place'', ''Mixed Emotions'' (which still gets played occasionally), etc. I prefer the production on Voodoo and Voodoo is a bit leaner in general.

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well ''Start Me Up'' was their last certifiable ''must play'' hit so there is nothing present as big as that, but it probably had as many big songs as Voodoo did, ''Rock in a Hard Place'', ''Mixed Emotions'' (which still gets played occasionally), etc. I prefer the production on Voodoo and Voodoo is a bit leaner in general.

I remember Love is Strong, You Got Me Rocking, Out of Tears being classic Stones, but there was Keef songs like The Worst and Thru and Thru which was on the Sopranos. Suck on the Jugular was also fun. 

Emotional Rescue - The Rolling Stones

OK, I might've found that first average Stones album.  Its not that its bad as such, its not bad bad bad.  The first thing I noticed is that like...OK, I listen to music in the shower and the one thing that I noticed with the Stones is everytime I've listened to a Stones song so far on their albums its always left me like...singing the chorus, into the hook.  Even the ones that aren't the singles or the big tracks on the album, stuff like Neighbours off of Tattoo You or that one off of Goats Head Soup, How Do You Hide Your Love (I know thats not the name of the song, thats the chorus words).  But yeah, I didn't get that off of this.  Only listened to it the once through so I'm gonna give it a couple more goes...but it didn't stick instantly like every other album they've done so far.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Emotional Rescue - The Rolling Stones

OK, I might've found that first average Stones album.  Its not that its bad as such, its not bad bad bad.  The first thing I noticed is that like...OK, I listen to music in the shower and the one thing that I noticed with the Stones is everytime I've listened to a Stones song so far on their albums its always left me like...singing the chorus, into the hook.  Even the ones that aren't the singles or the big tracks on the album, stuff like Neighbours off of Tattoo You or that one off of Goats Head Soup, How Do You Hide Your Love (I know thats not the name of the song, thats the chorus words).  But yeah, I didn't get that off of this.  Only listened to it the once through so I'm gonna give it a couple more goes...but it didn't stick instantly like every other album they've done so far.

In fairness to The Stones, even their worst albums, of which I'd regard that one of them, maybe not the poorest but among them, usually have one-two decent songs which either become minor hits or occasional setlist songs (usually both). Even Dirty Work has ''Harlem Shuffle'', ''movie it to the left'', Jagger doing his little shimmy in the promo, etc. That particular album, Emotional Rescue, has the title track, Jagger singing like a Beegee with his balls in a knot, which believe it or not was a US #3. 

Undercover has ''Undercover of the Night'' which at least generated some controversy and was a minor hit, getting played sporadically up to the present - ''She Was Hot'' was also revived for the Scorsese movie. 

I think you should have just left the three iffy albums for the end of your Stones journey. You should have went Some Girls...Tattoo You...Steel Wheels, Voodoo, Babylon, Bigger Bang, then rounded off with Emotional Rescue and the two clangers, Dirty Work and Undercover.

That whole period from Emotional Rescue (1980) to Dirty Work (1986) Keith was writing a lot with Ronnie by the way, because of the feud. Watch out for ''Wood'' Stones songs among the accreditation. 

I've been trying to go in order but I messed it up a little by missing Emotional Rescue so i went back for it.  Its not bad bad bad, I'm gonna give it a couple more listens.  After this its Undercover.  But I'll do your order if I'm gonna get the better music out of it.  So Steel Wheels next I guess.  Even if they're all bollocks from here on out I'll still give em all a listen cuz that is a fucking phenomenal run of albums.  There's a lifetimes worth of listening in there.  Two decades worth of solid fuckin' albums...and then potentially more if the 80s and 90s ain't as shit as everyone says.  Having a go at The Stones for naff albums in 2018 is just plain unfair, thats more decent work put in than just about anybody else I can think of.

Edited by Len Cnut

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I've been trying to go in order but I messed it up a little by missing Emotional Rescue so i went back for it.  Its not bad bad bad, I'm gonna give it a couple more listens.  After this its Undercover.  But I'll do your order if I'm gonna get the better music out of it.  So Steel Wheels next I guess.

Steel Wheels is good. If there is a criticism of it it is that you know they've reached their middle-aged pedestrian era: it is more good craftsmanship, The Stones doing a decent impression of The Stones, but Keith probably began peaking during this late Stones era. ''Slipping Away'' is the first of these little countryesque gems that he began to write. They still play that a lot. 

Edited by DieselDaisy