True Detective Season 2 Discussion

RussTCB

It was while watching Guardians of the Galaxy that it hit me how much i'd love to see Benicio Del Toro dip his foot in the waters of True Detective.

The guy is really one of the most underrated actors around. So idiosyncratic and he can seethe intensity. He'd be pitch perfect for the landscape.

Thing is Rust was reading those books. So it's like saying a character quoting Proust is plagiarism, which it isn't, it's characterisation.

Was the plot or story original? Not really it was a composite of other movies TV shows. Like Tarantino.

The director made it something new.

Thing is Rust was reading those books. So it's like saying a character quoting Proust is plagiarism, which it isn't, it's characterisation.

Was the plot or story original? Not really it was a composite of other movies TV shows. Like Tarantino.

no

no

Really?

I just thought the director gave it atmosphere which made it more than just the words on the page, which were kind of newish but not really. If you Galveston its the same: badass characters but the lead is very moral at heart. Which is quite common in thrillers/mystery novels. But Pizz took a lot of TV shows and movies and concocted something out of it, but was it new? It was genre, I'm not sure it was new. But the best parts were the director with that Le Doux freeze frame. Or the use of music as Marty is downing pills. Or how he shot that Michael Mann riot scene.

Somehow it came off cool but not sure it was new.

• 1 month later...

this is kind of amusing given today's news. this was written last year.

http://hollywoodandswine.com/colin-farrell-suffering-from-depression-after-agents-tell-him-to-consider-career-in-television/

i said months ago that i thought farrell would be a perfect choice for a show like this. it'll really help him revive his career and he's always better off in these kinds of character roles. i'm happy about it.

• Like 1

this is kind of amusing given today's news. this was written last year.

http://hollywoodandswine.com/colin-farrell-suffering-from-depression-after-agents-tell-him-to-consider-career-in-television/

i said months ago that i thought farrell would be a perfect choice for a show like this. it'll really help him revive his career and he's always better off in these kinds of character roles. i'm happy about it.

"In related news, former movie star Christian Slater was told by his agents that it’s time to seriously consider dinner theater after his last three television series “My Own Worst Enemy,” “The Forgotten” and “Breaking In,” were all cancelled."

:rofl-lol:

Funny enough, Farrell is in one of my favourite movies from the last five to ten years: In Bruges. It's too bad nobody went to see it. Love these types of movies.

I agree with you ER, I think he'll do a great job in this show. I think television has less of a stigma these days than it did even two years ago. Seems like years go by now without me getting excited to go to the movies.

It's not the worst casting choice in the world, but as I've said before, you always trade up, not down.

I'd bet Colin got the role that HBO allegedly desperately wanted Christian Bale for, last spring.

It's all too tempting to imagine a season with Bale as an obsessive detective. Unfortunately, Christian takes these intense characters home with him and lives in their skin for the duration of the shoot.

He's probably done subjecting his wife and kids to any more scowling fiends.