When did the negativity for DJ start?

Not wanting this to turn into a DJ hating thread, there's enough of them and I don't especially want this closed quickly - As the titled suggests, when did you start to dislike DJ? Was it over a period of time? Was it instant? After the first gig? was there a specific point?
Again, preferably sensible replies - saying 'DJ SUCKS' isn't adding anything (apart from the obvious).

When the announcement was made that he was the new guitar player my initial reaction was "who?"

I looked him up and saw all the Sixx AM stuff. I was down at first, I thought that maybe DJ could be a little burst of youth and life into the band.

I enjoyed his playing from '09-'11. Something happened in 2012 though. It just seemed like he was mimicking Slash more and more, and his guitar playing definitely dropped off from what it was. Then the #ASHBASWAG started to kick in and DJ just turned into an absolute joke for me. It's a shame, because at one point I really thought he had some potential. Oh well.

• Like 3

There's always been some people that weren't satisfied with him, but I started to really notice the hate running rampant probably in late 2011. Around the time that he promised big surprises at The Forum gig, IIRC.

When you hear his guitar playing, but somehow thrown into the GnR mix, he works wonderfully well and does have some of that charisma with the crowd that Finck and Bucket lacked. BBF lacked this as well at the beginning, but I feel he's accepted as well (and not for his image but for how he plays!)

There's always been some people that weren't satisfied with him, but I started to really notice the hate running rampant probably in late 2011. Around the time that he promised big surprises at The Forum gig, IIRC.

Ashba swag and excessive advertisement of himself like you said, around late 2011. before that it was better than robin to almost everyone.

Not wanting this to turn into a DJ hating thread, there's enough of them and I don't especially want this closed quickly - As the titled suggests, when did you start to dislike DJ? Was it over a period of time? Was it instant? After the first gig? was there a specific point?

Again, preferably sensible replies - saying 'DJ SUCKS' isn't adding anything (apart from the obvious).

when i first saw his face

I have never hated him. I don't love him either. I don't anything him.

Look, the reality is that I don't anything any of these guys other than Axl. He has never taken any sort of time to make me feel like I need to respect and value these people. These are nameless, faceless guys that can lift right out and be replaced by the next guy I am likely to form no attachment to.

• Like 1

I don't hate Ashba at all.

Not that I adore him either, but I couldn't be bothered with haunting every little thing he makes a mistake at, like some people here. That is a fucking waste of time and energy hating on someone who's way more successful than any of us would ever dream to be.

Yes, I know he's a bit annoying, has a big ego and imitates Slash, but I just don't pay attention to his side-projects. If you ask me what Ashbaswag is, I have no damn clue. I have never listened to whatever he recorded before GNR, and I don't intend to. I accept him as a guitarist in my favorite band and that it. I guess that's the only healthy way to go with this.

Great answer. I'm right with you.

The litany of problems we have in this band, and we are going to spend our time criticizing how he stands on stage? Really? Does that even make our top 10 problems with this band in 2014?

Didn't care too much about him at first. His constant bullshit through the years and his lack of skills make me dislike him a lot. I believe he's a disgrace to the GNR name, but then again, the whole band is a joke nowadays. They deserve each other.

Used to be cool with him, until I started listening closely to his playing, realized how stiff it was, etc.

All that's fixable, but I started to really wish he would go when it became apparent that Guns is more a business for him than a chance to make music (I.E. - his "don't bite the hand that feeds you" tweet to Ron).

Edited by BangoSkank
  • Like 1

I don't dislike DJ. I cringed when he butchered the SCOM intro at GG (may be the guitar tech's fault, but anyway) and when he acted all stupid when BBF did the Don't Cry intro in SA (I think, I know it was a show with Duff, don't remember exactly which show), so sometimes he does annoy me.

But for the most part, I like how he interacts with the fans (on stage and in chats etc.) and I like that he's always promoting GNR (next to his own swag, of course). I've never seen Tommy or Richard tweet about GNR, for example.

(Maybe it helps that I don't really know anything about guitar playing. I rarely notice mistakes, except when it's really obvious.)

When the band started the Canadian tour in January 2010, I actually ignored all GNR websites/forums/Youtube clips so that when I was able to see the band I would be 'surprised' by the new setlist. This really meant that I did not see the new band playing whatsoever. My first opportunity to see this new setlist was the East Rutherford show in November of 2011. Yes I really did ignore GNR for almost 2 years.

At the show I of course enjoyed hearing Estranged, that was a nice surprise. Outside of that the setlist was almost identical still to the shows I saw at the Hammerstein in 2006 and in the subsequent US tour. It was pretty frustrating.

Throughout the show at East Rutherford I COULD NOT STAND DJ. I was yelling at him constantly. It all started with his idiotic WTTJ opening with him cupping his hands to his ear and it seemed that he was doing everything he could to get the focus of the show on himself. Sadly it worked, I was focused on how ridiculous he looked instead of watching the show. My opinion on him was formed that cold night in NJ without anyone influencing me. I am just happy to see that most other people despise him too.

• Like 1

For the first tour I thought okay he looks a bit of a cliché and that band he was in is kinda generic but I'll give Axl the benefit of the doubt and wait until I hear how the guy plays and carries himself, could wear a bin liner for all I care if his playing and personality strikes a good chord with me. Over that tour I started to see the signs we have now and thought, well Axl will boot him out within 2 years, he surely can't take this guy seriously... but it's Bumblefoot who looks to be going and we still have no record despite DJ's enthusiasm being the shining light that many would put up with him for.

Used to be cool as well, then the whole #, poser thing started to kick in. Then the Patience solo fiasco and I started noticing all the bends and him being unable to play the solos he's given properly (This I Love is for me the hardest to hear considering Robin's work).

ashba%2Bduncan%2Bseymour.jpg

He hadn't even played a show yet and was whoring himself out as the GNR guitarist.

That told us everything we needed to know about the guy and what he was hoping to get out of the GNR experience.

• Like 1

I have never hated him. I don't love him either. I don't anything him.

Look, the reality is that I don't anything any of these guys other than Axl. He has never taken any sort of time to make me feel like I need to respect and value these people. These are nameless, faceless guys that can lift right out and be replaced by the next guy I am likely to form no attachment to.

I feel the same way. I don´t hate him because I don´t care. He is just a replacement of a replacement like most the current members. DJ and all the current members are guys performing with and for Axl Rose. I´m an Axl fan the same way I´m a fan of AFD line up. Those are the only guys I care about.

• Like 1

I don't hate Ashba at all.

Not that I adore him either, but I couldn't be bothered with haunting every little thing he makes a mistake at, like some people here. That is a fucking waste of time and energy hating on someone who's way more successful than any of us would ever dream to be.

Yes, I know he's a bit annoying, has a big ego and imitates Slash, but I just don't pay attention to his side-projects. If you ask me what Ashbaswag is, I have no damn clue. I have never listened to whatever he recorded before GNR, and I don't intend to. I accept him as a guitarist in my favorite band and that it. I guess that's the only healthy way to go with this.

Great answer. I'm right with you.

The litany of problems we have in this band, and we are going to spend our time criticizing how he stands on stage? Really? Does that even make our top 10 problems with this band in 2014?

No, to be honest: this is just a nostalgia act, so we shouldn't complain the TOP problees, because this ship sinked a long long time ago :lol: It doesn't really matter at this point

But: the guy has tattoed on his finger the word: DEMENTED Thi alone enough to "hate" (aka laugh) at him with a passion :shrugs: