When did the negativity for DJ start?

i dont hate him nor do i like him, he is just their. he is a mediocre guitar player that fit the bill for axl when he switched from wanting a band that would stand on their own two feet with their own look and sound to a band that just covers the 80s and 90s stuff and needed to "hard rock" up the image a little.

i think the backlash and the hate comes from the fact of who he replaced. he isnt the caliber of slash, or robin and he is sure as fuck isnt bucket. he is seen as the shining beacon of axl and as an extension gnr settling for mediocrity. him going on and on about stuff that never happens also doesn't help.

Why can't he at least attempt to be accepted? practice all the Guns songs. Old and new, until it sounds good. Until it's consistent. Ditch the shit clothes, and the Hogan ears. Baby steps.

He says he wants to respect the legacy. He should put his money where his mouth is. It's only rock n' roll, but this is supposed to be Guns N' Roses. There are certain standards to meet. :shrugs:

The hate for DJ started, I believe, the moment people had a look at him. I mean, he's like what...40 something? The eye liner, emo thing at his age just screams "poser" and no one likes posers.

For me, the image is secondary to his shameless selling out. The guy is basically just a business man playing the part of a rock star. I really don't think he gives a shit about music but rather exploiting fans of music in order to make money.

To me, that's the ultimate sin. Just, unforgivable.

In 2009-2010 Axl was at the top of his game and that overshadowed any negative aspects regarding GNR. Once Axl lost it, the problems became more obvious.

And there was all this too:

Then, it just became a downward spiral .He went from a relatively normal dude with a slightly goth look to a full on emo billboard for Monster Energy. We got tweets with hash tags like #nicotinecansuckmycock. We got Facebook posts about getting in fights with fans, hotel maid, and ordering thousands of dollars of liquor. We got guitar playing that not only did not improve, but somehow managed to get worse. We got DJ admitting to a fan that he was unable to play Robin's "This I Love" solo so he had to make a new one (which DJ still fucks up). We got DJ openly admitting in a chat that he is literally unable to play one Guns N' Roses song (Riad n' the Bedouins). And, of course, we got lies about :big surprises" and new music being imminent.

The hate for DJ started, I believe, the moment people had a look at him. I mean, he's like what...40 something? The eye liner, emo thing at his age just screams "poser" and no one likes posers.

For me, the image is secondary to his shameless selling out. The guy is basically just a business man playing the part of a rock star. I really don't think he gives a shit about music but rather exploiting fans of music in order to make money.

It's just a product to him. We're just customers and it's a shit product he's selling.

I liked him at first. And I like(d) his stuff on Sixx AM. He was cool from 2007 to 2011. But in 2012 something happened. I guess, that's when he went full-on ASHBASWAG-mode. And I didn't appreciate those stories about beating up fans and being mean to cleaning ladies. That's just dumb and wrong.

I have nothing against his playing, but I do think that Guns would survive with only Ron and Richard. I get why DJ was brought in to the band, though. He gets the crowd going and he sticks out. He has stage presence and charisma, like it or not.

Edited by jekylhyde

Guest Gunns

When people finally realised that djs whole getup including the hulk hogan ears, running man, ashba swag, contradicting statements and bad guitar work is actually the way he is, and he's not just having a joke at our expense.

When I heard the TIL solo, and particularly when he tried to explain how he *had* to write a different version (which he also fucks up) because it somehow translates better live.

Then came hogan ears and Ashbaswag and Monster x10. But for me personally it started with that bull shit explanation.

Is this the quote your are talking about?

Dj: I really like - and at first hated it - This I Love. At first, I just couldn't get my head around the solo, so I had to tweak it out and just make it a little bit more mine. I am really bad at mocking other guitar players. I've never been that good at learning cover songs - it's just never been my thing, so it was hard to wrap my head around [Robin's] style. That one was way harder than a Slash solo, in my opinion [Total Guitar, December 2012]

I thought that was an honest and humble answer.

Yeah, he honestly admitted he wasn't great at guitar, doesn't have a great ear for music, and is bad at the one thing he is paid to do, which is to learn and play music someone else wrote.

• Like 1

Guest Gunns

When I heard the TIL solo, and particularly when he tried to explain how he *had* to write a different version (which he also fucks up) because it somehow translates better live.

Then came hogan ears and Ashbaswag and Monster x10. But for me personally it started with that bull shit explanation.

Is this the quote your are talking about?

Dj: I really like - and at first hated it - This I Love. At first, I just couldn't get my head around the solo, so I had to tweak it out and just make it a little bit more mine. I am really bad at mocking other guitar players. I've never been that good at learning cover songs - it's just never been my thing, so it was hard to wrap my head around [Robin's] style. That one was way harder than a Slash solo, in my opinion [Total Guitar, December 2012]

I thought that was an honest and humble answer.

Yeah, he honestly admitted he wasn't great at guitar, doesn't have a great ear for music, and is bad at the one thing he is paid to do, which is to learn and play music someone else wrote.

but in his own words, he sees himself as an entrepreneur and not as a rockstar, so all can be forgiven .

When in this community, Finck's shoes are as big as Slash's.

Yeah, that's a pisser, huh?

For me, I was cringing from the moment I read the news he had been hired...and it's only gotten worse.

If he wasn't in Guns N Roses, I wouldn't give a shit about the guy.

Which goes for every single one these guys, if we're being honest.

Unless anyone wanted to argue with a straight face they'd have been all over the Dead Daises anyway.

Unlikely.

• Like 1

It's just a product to him. We're just customers and it's a shit product he's selling.

Everytime I see a picture of him on Facebook all I can hear in my head is "Sup bra...wanna buy some SHIT?!?!"

Edited by combos

For me it started when he was first hired and I read that he was the guy from Sixx AM, my reaction was pretty much "lol really?"

Since then he's done nothing but reinforce that he's an insufferable douche who sucks at guitar.

My interest in the bands endless word tour has pretty much flatlined since he joined, in that time I've realized more and more fans feeling the same way. If you don't already, and you actually care about Guns N' Roses, you will to, so climb off your high horse while you can still save some integrity. DJ Ashba really does suck ass, there's no sugar coating it.

My interest in the bands endless word tour has pretty much flatlined since he joined, in that time I've realized more and more fans feeling the same way. If you don't already, and you actually care about Guns N' Roses, you will to, so climb off your high horse while you can still save some integrity. DJ Ashba really does suck ass, there's no sugar coating it.

This. I honestly have no idea what redeeming value he has other than an ability to make money from a stunning absence of anything resembling talent or a skill.

Live fans love DJ. I think it just is some fans on this messageboard.

When I've seen GNR, DJ gets the biggest applause after Axl does.

Fans went nuts for his solos too.

He's good looking, plays guitar great and has confidence. Some people are just jealous of him. Now he's doing the GNR interviews which I'm sure Axl has picked him for.

Unless you know DJ personally and he's fucked you over, what's not to like about him?

And don't compare him to Slash, because I'm sick of that old excuse.

He's good looking, plays guitar great and has confidence. Some people are just jealous of him. Now he's doing the GNR interviews which I'm sure Axl has picked him for.

Unless you know DJ personally and he's fucked you over, what's not to like about him?

And Soulmonster says there is no such thing as an Axl or GnR worshipper.

Who exactly do you think is "jealous" of DJ? Can you name one person?

You don't know Slash personally, yet you constantly post negative crap about him. Why do you not have to follow your own advice?

Do you own this forum? Are you a moderator? If not, what gives you the right to tell people to NOT talk about something because you are "sick" of it?

Go drink some chocolate milk, DJ, calm down.

And Soulmonster says there is no such thing as an Axl or GnR worshipper.

I have never said that. What I have said is that the "Axl worshippers" you perpetually rant about don't exist but are just artificial amalgams of various opinions from multiple members that you blend together into a purely fictional super-Axl-worshipper. I guess it is simpler for you that way rather than having to deal with the complexities of reality.