When did the negativity for DJ start?

Although appreciate, to an extent, those old Guns fans who just will never relate to Bucket, I don't agree about the lack of charisma. He had something. Every single crowd around the world roared, literally roared, at the crescendo of Big Sur Mon in 2002. Whether it was London, Tokyo or a festival crowd.

Just listening to Evader's IRS/Star Chaser mashup makes it so clear that Axl and Bucket fit like a hand in a glove. The tone of Axl's voice and the tone of Bucket's guitar melt like butter and Bucket's melodic sensibilities compliment Axl's melodies perfectly.

At this stage, given how so little of the original NewGNR dream has come to fruition, I wish Axl had just started a new band with Bucket and Brain and worked their way up playing small venues and mid-card slots at festivals, playing 2/3 new stuff and 1/3 Guns stuff. If they'd started doing that 14 years ago they'd be headlining festivals today. Look at what Dave Grohl's done with the Foos and as good as he is he ain't Axl and he ain't Bucket.

I don't dislike DJ. I cringed when he butchered the SCOM intro at GG (may be the guitar tech's fault, but anyway) and when he acted all stupid when BBF did the Don't Cry intro in SA (I think, I know it was a show with Duff, don't remember exactly which show),

What did he do?

I can't find it right away, but it was during the intro of DC or a solo of BBF, DJ appeared on stage, drinking jager and passing it around or something, so the audience there would cheer him on, thus ruining BBF's solo. If memory serves me right. I think it was the same night he stage dived.

*facepalm*

I really want to know what Axl wanted to fire him for (and yes, I do mean as stated in MSL's emails titles which I take as 100% real - hence the situation that occurred and his current loyalty).

Although appreciate, to an extent, those old Guns fans who just will never relate to Bucket, I don't agree about the lack of charisma. He had something. Every single crowd around the world roared, literally roared, at the crescendo of Big Sur Mon in 2002. Whether it was London, Tokyo or a festival crowd.

Just listening to Evader's IRS/Star Chaser mashup makes it so clear that Axl and Bucket fit like a hand in a glove. The tone of Axl's voice and the tone of Bucket's guitar melt like butter and Bucket's melodic sensibilities compliment Axl's melodies perfectly.

At this stage, given how so little of the original NewGNR dream has come to fruition, I wish Axl had just started a new band with Bucket and Brain and worked their way up playing small venues and mid-card slots at festivals, playing 2/3 new stuff and 1/3 Guns stuff. If they'd started doing that 14 years ago they'd be headlining festivals today. Look at what Dave Grohl's done with the Foos and as good as he is he ain't Axl and he ain't Bucket.

I don't dislike DJ. I cringed when he butchered the SCOM intro at GG (may be the guitar tech's fault, but anyway) and when he acted all stupid when BBF did the Don't Cry intro in SA (I think, I know it was a show with Duff, don't remember exactly which show),

What did he do?

I can't find it right away, but it was during the intro of DC or a solo of BBF, DJ appeared on stage, drinking jager and passing it around or something, so the audience there would cheer him on, thus ruining BBF's solo. If memory serves me right. I think it was the same night he stage dived.

*facepalm*

I really want to know what Axl wanted to fire him for (and yes, I do mean as stated in MSL's emails titles which I take as 100% real - hence the situation that occurred and his current loyalty).

Thanks, that's what I meant :)

EDIT: And, yes, it is as bad as I remember :shock:

Edited by Lio

What did he do?

*facepalm*

Holy shit, that was amazing. No idea Ron and RIchard did Moonlight Mile, sounded wonderful.

Fuck DJ there, that was shit of him to do

I bet ron and Dj dont get on. They never have any chemistry on stage. I guess those little tweet wars weren't the only thing they disagreed on.

I remember ron used to go into the crowd before DJ joined. Now he has taken a step back.

I bet ron and Dj dont get on. They never have any chemistry on stage. I guess those little tweet wars weren't the only thing they disagreed on.

I remember ron used to go into the crowd before DJ joined. Now he has taken a step back.

Dj is not needed, not capable, not talented enough, and honestly, not too bright. He's like a disease to Gn'R. Best removed.

Edited by Rovim

There's really no chemistry between any of the three. Robin was a much better fit with Ron and Richard. For what it's worth, Bucket and Robin had good chemistry as well.

This is the worst guitar lineup in GN'R history. DJ should go back to Sixx AM kinda stuff, because GN'R just might not be the right fit.

• Like 1

Two part answer...

1. His goofy wardrobe on stage got me suspicious of his gimmick but he kinda blended in, until.......

2. His 'ballad of death' really exposed him as a not-so-technical guitar player. He tried putting so much emotion into it but with the constant bends and off time playing, it just came off as bad to me.

Bottom line, he's good, better than average, but there's 2 other guitar players on stage with him every show that could roll him up and smoke him on guitar.

I started getting sick to my stomach when I saw him do the Hulk Hogan-like "let me hear you," hand to the ear bullshit which is so contrived and forced. I feel like a 12 year old back at a scripted WWF event, not an "anything might happen" rock show.

Two part answer...

1. His goofy wardrobe on stage got me suspicious of his gimmick but he kinda blended in, until.......

2. His 'ballad of death' really exposed him as a not-so-technical guitar player. He tried putting so much emotion into it but with the constant bends and off time playing, it just came off as bad to me.

Bottom line, he's good, better than average, but there's 2 other guitar players on stage with him every show that could roll him up and smoke him on guitar.

Bumble is 10 times the guitar player Dj is. Oops he's not even mainly a guitar player. Also: THERE ISN'T A SINGLE ORIGINAL BONE IN ASHBA'S BODY. Slash sounded like Slash, Robin was original, Bucket had his own tone. Technically he's not good enough. There are so many reasons why he's not the right fit for Guns.

Edited by Rovim

I don't want to pile on and just hate on the guy just because it seems to be the cool thing to do lately, but truthfully his gimmick has worn thin and he's been a little exposed overall as a guitar player.

Now, in the studio he could prove to be a catalyst for a good record because his original stuff isn't bad at all. I bet he could write a song 200 times better than bbf cause for the simple reason he's not going to try to write the most complicated guitar lick of all time with funky ass sounds in it.

• Like 1

When I heard the TIL solo, and particularly when he tried to explain how he *had* to write a different version (which he also fucks up) because it somehow translates better live.

Then came hogan ears and Ashbaswag and Monster x10. But for me personally it started with that bull shit explanation.

What did he do?

*facepalm*

Thanks, that's what I meant :)

EDIT: And, yes, it is as bad as I remember :shock:

God that's worse than I remember,

Also fun fact! Before his signature pickup which is an altered version, the Seymour Duncan Pro Alinco 2 pickups that DJ advertised were the same ones slash used.

Any word on if DJ always used these or only started around guns?

Didn't they play TIL in a different key that night?

He must've had to fire a lot of guitar techs over the years.

DJ's whole persona-in-a-stitched-box that he purchased from Hot

Topic is so transparent and over the top that I can't really taken him

seriously enough to actually form an emotion as strong as hate.

However, his playing has brought down some otherwise great performances,

so I want to see him gone in that regard. If he could play up to par I wouldn't

care about all of his gimmicks/self-promotion/etc.

When I heard the TIL solo, and particularly when he tried to explain how he *had* to write a different version (which he also fucks up) because it somehow translates better live.

Then came hogan ears and Ashbaswag and Monster x10. But for me personally it started with that bull shit explanation.

Is this the quote your are talking about?

Dj: I really like - and at first hated it - This I Love. At first, I just couldn't get my head around the solo, so I had to tweak it out and just make it a little bit more mine. I am really bad at mocking other guitar players. I've never been that good at learning cover songs - it's just never been my thing, so it was hard to wrap my head around [Robin's] style. That one was way harder than a Slash solo, in my opinion [Total Guitar, December 2012]

I thought that was an honest and humble answer.

• Like 2

I don't hate DJ Ashba. His image is what it is; I won't judge that. I also do have respect for him for being such a formidable businessman. Like him or not, he's very savvy on that end, and he's been able to make a name and a fortune for himself. Can I begrudge him for being in the business for the money? No. Like most adults he has to earn a living.

And from everything I've heard, he's one of the nicest and most accessible band members.

What irks me about him are his style of playing - it's just not my favorite ever. I'm not going to sit here and critique his technique; I just feel there are other guitarists who play in a way that I enjoy more. I also don't really like the way he seems to grandstand onstage sometimes. I saw him in Sixx:AM and he didn't do that; he was a very charismatic player, but he wasn't standing on the amps asking for applause. So all I can think is that he's doing what Axl either wants or allows him to do; or what he feels is appropriate for GnR.

Edited by stella

Not a huge fan of the guy per se, but truth is that besides Axl, DJ is the only 'band member' that people actually seem to notice. Besides that stage presence and his obvious style similarity with Slash, he's got great chemistry with Axl. Enough reasons for me.

Not a huge fan of the guy per se, but truth is that besides Axl, DJ is the only 'band member' that people actually seem to notice. Besides that stage presence and his obvious style similarity with Slash, he's got great chemistry with Axl. Enough reasons for me.

Yeah, that is important.

I don't particularly like how he dress, but I am an old guy and don't understand these things anymore - and I don't really care about much else than music. As long as he connects with the kids then it's fine with me, I guess. I am not a big fan of his antics or playing, either, at least not when he is playing other's guys parts, but hope he can compensate for this by being a good co-writer with Axl.

I was indifferent until the truly awful performances from SA this year.

I'm indifferent to this band as a whole because the new band was Axl, Bucket, Brain and Robin for me. But as long was we get the rest of their songs unmolested I can live with whoever playing them.

Actually, now I think about it, I think I could feel far more affinity for this band if DJ was replaced with someone respectable like Fortus. The chance of Bucket even guesting, let alone returning, is about 1% in which case, BBF deserves to get the spotlight.

I believed in Axls new band and his vision, not so much now that Bucket, Brain and Robin are gone, really do hope we hear the leftovers untouched by Ashba, BBF and Frank.