☬ YOUR opinions, reviews and general thoughts on the Performance/Sound/Visuals in Appetite For Democracy 3D Concert Release ☬

Guest Gunns

As I said in the AXS thread, it is a pretty damn good concert. My wife actually said (and she doesn't really pay much attention) "This is the best I have heard Axl sound since the old days." The whole band sounds fricking sick, even Ashba sounds great. It is a really good showcase for NUgnr. If Ritz 88' is a 10/10 and Paris 92' 10/10 (two of my favorite shows) this concert is a solid 8.5/10. It is a pretty damn good show folks.

If anyone can watch KOHD and see Axl dancing and jamming to his own music and still wonder why he tours then you will never know. The utter enthusiasm he has for his music came out when I was there, and even on the DVD you can see he doesn't give a shit who is playing it, he wants to sing his music, regardless of how he sounds.

A joy to watch regardless of the sound which I give it 4/5 stars.

• Like 1

Guest Gunns

Better is disappointing, I would give it a 5/10 only because Axl saves it at the bridge

Catcher is decent 7/10 , the cleaner vocals work here

DJ's stage antics are even worse when he knows cameras are filming, and when we can see them in high definition. His buffoonery during the bridge of welcome to the jungle is horrible. As is his intro, wrestler poses and all. Every time he picks up a guitar an angel dies.

DJ's stage antics are even worse when he knows cameras are filming, and when we can see them in high definition. His buffoonery during the bridge of welcome to the jungle is horrible. As is his intro, wrestler poses and all. Every time he picks up a guitar an angel dies.

Yeah, the mugging for the camera stuff gets to me. Even BBF repeatedly pointing his guitar at the camera for fuckin' 3D effects or whatever. So lame. And Pitman isn't really mugging for the camera, but he looks ridiculous nonetheless.

Yeah, the mugging for the camera stuff gets to me. Even BBF repeatedly pointing his guitar at the camera for fuckin' 3D effects or whatever. So lame. And Pitman isn't really mugging for the camera, but he looks ridiculous nonetheless.
Dont fuckin slag pitman off you. Edited by Axl_morris

Dont fuckin slag pitman off you.

He looks so fucking creepy with his skinny pants and his tambourine and that little knee bend dance he does. :lol:

Guest Gunns

how many times does Dj strategically place a bra on his guitar?

I've counted two times so far.

Don't forget the panties.

You have to love his expression as he does it like "oh why dont I just put them on the end of my guitar" like he has done for the past 6 years at every concert.

Edited by Gunns

please dont fuck up the thread

A friend of mine is buying this so as soon as I get my hands on the blu-ray, I'll review it. Of course, I will comment on how good the picture and audio quality is, not how good or bad Axl sounds. That's how you review a blu-ray release.

I would be interested to see your honest views on the performance after seeing it as well. Even if it's negative.

I can't remember what song it was now, but the most annoying thing I've seen DJ do so far was putting a side ways middle finger right close to the camera. So stupid. #rockstar4lyfe #sodemented #dementedmiddlefingerz

• Like 1

Guest Gunns

I can't remember what song it was now, but the most annoying thing I've seen DJ do so far was putting a side ways middle finger right close to the camera. So stupid. #rockstar4lyfe #sodemented #dementedmiddlefingerz

You have to put yourself in the general public shoes and think, what the hell would people watching this think if they have no idea who dj is?

He doesn't set a good first impression, between fucking up the solos, posing like an idiot and all his gesturing, what redeeming quality is there ?

You have to put yourself in the general public shoes and think, what the hell would people watching this think if they have no idea who dj is?

He doesn't set a good first impression, between fucking up the solos, posing like an idiot and all his gesturing, what redeeming quality is there ?

Oh I couldn't agree more. I almost want to do a personal case study on this and find out if it's really just us who hates this dude so much. For example, I want to leave this on my DVR and show a couple tracks to friends asking them to comment on just the band. I think it'd be interesting to gather what was said about DJ good or bad.

Oh I couldn't agree more. I almost want to do a personal case study on this and find out if it's really just us who hates this dude so much. For example, I want to leave this on my DVR and show a couple tracks to friends asking them to comment on just the band. I think it'd be interesting to gather what was said about DJ good or bad.

Good idea. I'll only get my husband to watch with me, though. But he knows only Axl. I'm curious to see what he thinks.

Guest Gunns

Why would you want to embarrass yourself in front of your friends voluntarily? Trust me, your impression is the same as most of Dj, the guy is all an act. Everything he does, no matter how spur of the moment he tries to make it come across, is all well rehearsed with the intention of trying to come across as cool, edgy and a "rock star". But it all fails because he tries hard, and that's why he doesn't get it.

I watched Chinese and jungle and was already sick of his gesturing 2 songs in, god help the public who watch all of this in 1 sitting. If only there was an option to select band member for camera view, I would watch every other member on stage before him.

• Like 1

So here are my thoughts on Axl's performance based on audio only:

1. CD sounds fine

2. Jungle sounds fine

3. ISE is weird. He's doing these fucked up things with his deep voice, and he's noticeably out of breath when you're just listening to audio, but he actually hits most of the rasp parts.

4. Brownstone - Meh, it's OK. Same weird shit with the low voice.

5. Estranged - Abomination. There's no other word for it.

6. Rocket Queen - Abomination. He tries to save it toward the end, but it doesn't work.

7. LALD sounds the same as it always does the past few years. If you've enjoyed it, you'll enjoy it. If you don't, you won't. I really don't like how he does the screams these days.

8. TIL - Honestly, I was expecting a lot better. This is one of those songs that he usually gears up for and nails. He hit some of the parts, but overall it's definitely a subpar performance compared to most live TILs that I've listened to.

9. Better - Hold up on this one for a sec. I was expecting a lot worse based on what people are saying. It's not terrific, but it's fine for the most part. He goes a little Mickey in a couple of the verses, but this is better than everything else so far except for CD and Jungle.

10. Catcher is OK. Not great. Not terrible. Mostly clean voice, but that's what Catcher usually is.

11. SOD - Not bad. A little too much clean voice for my liking, but it works OK for SOD. Axl's off beat a couple times during the song.

12. YCBM - I'm not listening to that shit again. :lol:

13. SCOM - Nooooooo! Skip.

14. NR - Already heard it. Thought it was bad. Axl's voice is very unsteady and inconsistent throughout.

15. Don't Cry - Pretty good for the most part, except he goes from decent gravelly rasp to super Mickey during the "come the morning light" part and it's off-putting.

16. Civil War - WTF, Axl? This is another weird one like ISE where the raspy parts are actually better than the low voice parts. He almost sounds like he's mocking his own low voice with the way he sings the verses. Rasp parts are good in some parts and decent for the most part when they're not good, even when he gets a little cleaner. If he wasn't singing like a moron on the low parts, this would be by far the best track to this point, possibly excluding Jungle.

17. The Seeker sounds like it always does. If you like it, you'll like it.

18. KOHD - 12:41. No thanks.

19. Nightrain - Very good. No complaints. Rasp throughout.

20. UTLH - Meh. He sings both of the two first verses in the low voice instead of going into slight rasp on the second verse. Sounds fine although I like the voice change that usually occurs. Later rasp parts he does in clean voice. I don't like those parts at all, but they're not as offensive as other Mickey moments during the show. I'm looking at YOU "come the morning light". :max:

21. Patience - Pretty good. He starts to do that weird low voice thing again during the first chorus, but someone must have slapped him and told him to stop it. He almost pulls off the end of the sound. Right up until the last line or two where he goes clean. That fast transition from rasp to clean is always strange on the ears. Still, perfectly acceptable performance of this song. Speaking about Axl only of course. :lol:

22. Paradise City - Meh. Not great. Not terrible. First verse is good. Other verses are a little weaker. He turns on the rasp at the expected parts but keeps it pretty clean otherwise. PC is usually a disaster, imo, so this is a step up.

• Like 4

maybe it's his #demented way of contacting his #ashbafamily. #truerockstar #betterthantheoldone

That's actually a really good question, Gunns. I wonder what would happen if you took say, This I Love, and put the video on your iPad and showed it to general public and casual rock fans, what would they think of it? Or you can substitute TIL for any other song where Dj does his posing/solo fuckups.

Guest Gunns

maybe it's his #demented way of contacting his #ashbafamily. #truerockstar #betterthantheoldone

That's actually a really good question, Gunns. I wonder what would happen if you took say, This I Love, and put the video on your iPad and showed it to general public and casual rock fans, what would they think of it? Or you can substitute TIL for any other song where Dj does his posing/solo fuckups.

You would see people bumping into each other in the street from the simultaneous collective face palms that would occur for hours after being subjected to dj ashba footage :lol:

• Like 1