MAD MAX: Fury Road

Zint

The fiance and I watched the first Mad Max tonight in anticipation for the Fury Road. This is kind of embarrassing to admit, but I always thought Road Warrior was the first one. I had no clue about the original Mad Max. I'll blame my ignorance on the fact that any time I watched Road Warrior it was always on television and I missed the beginning.

Kind of funny as I'm sitting watching the first one wondering when the world turns post-apocolyptic and Max heads to the outback... Oh well, looking forward to watching the next two. Found the first movie just terrible. Other than the last five minutes, felt like a waste of time.

• Like 1

Someone needs to explain to me, outside of overall concept, why the first Mad Max is considered a good film. Directing, acting, dialogue, music, plot - all terrible. It feels like a cheap, Australian rip off of A Clockwork Orange. I think it lays out a cool concept, but one that wasn't fully realized and executed well until the next film, The Road Warrior. Max isn't even "Mad" until the last ten minutes of the movie. It could have been 50 minutes shorter had they cut down on all of the unnecessary driving shots where absolutely nothing happens. In the final action sequence where he chases the gang who are on motorbikes, the audience is suppose to get excited when Max finally passes a tractor-trailer that's gotten in his way. Granted, the last ten minutes (where Max walks into a trap, gets out of it somehow, then gives the mentally ill guy the choice of cutting off his foot) were decent, the rest of the movie is utter garbage.

By the way, where is Max's kid throughout most of his trip with his wife? It makes no sense. The kid all of sudden shows up when they stop to get their wheels fixed at the gas station. Up until then, it had just been Max and his wife. The entire sequence where Max's family eats it makes absolutely no sense either. Why would Max leave his family alone and run off into the woods? Why would his wife run down the middle of the road once their car dies? WHY THE FUCK would you forget about your own kid after being chased by degenerates through the forest?

I get that the movie was made on very little money, so I don't begrudge it for looking cheap or taking liberties like not showing Max driving into bad guys on motorcycles but seeing the aftereffects. But come on, this movie just doesn't hold up at all. Like I said, cool concept, terrible execution.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/30/inside-the-madness-of-mad-max-fury-road-s-george-miller.html

Fourteen years in the making.

$150 million dollars.

3,500 panels of storyboard planning, inked before he had a script.

Over eight months of filming—first in Australia, where unprecedented rains turned his desert locations into non-Mad Max friendly flowerlands, then amongst the massive sand dunes of Namibia.

120 days of pulling off large-scale, mostly practical stunts.

480 hours of footage whittled down to a 114-minute cut, then tested. And tested. And tested.

Great news if you're not a fan of CGI:

The gentle-voiced Miller recalled one stunt sequence featuring characters swinging in the air from giant poles affixed to moving battle-cars. While timing forced him to go make Happy Feet 2, his Fury Road team worked out how to do the stunts without resorting to VFX magic. “I thought we’d never be able to get those guys moving. Gradually, bit by bit, they figured out how to do it,” he said.

That old school devotion to practical effects gets a showcase in Fury Road's elaborate and densely-packed action sequences.

• Like 2

I watched the original Mad Max with Mel Gibson the other day on cable. Man, that was an awesome movie!

Mel was a great Mad Max and I do hope tom Hardy is just as good.

Loved all 3 movies with Mel: Mad Max, Road Warrior, and Max Mad beyond Thunderdome.

I think Mel was asked to do more, but he refused.

The evil characters in these movies were so freaky and unique and their death scenes were freakin great!

Vagina Monologues Writer Eve Ensler: How Mad Max: Fury Road Became a ‘Feminist Action Film’

Here's a few choice quotes from the article:

Furiosa encounters Max on the road, and they team up in search of a matriarchal promised land with bad guys in hot pursuit. Theron, not Hardy, leads the charge; she also does the majority of the fighting.
I think George Miller is a feminist, and he made a feminist action film.
I was really blown away by the older women in the film who were just as good fighters as the men. I’d never seen that before. They all have so much agency and independence.
All the women in the film maintain their inherent woman-ness. They’re tender and loving and still fierce. They get to be all those things. It’s this powerful question: how do women survive in a patriarchal, violent culture? How do they keep their souls intact in a war zone?
One of the great things about this film is that when you have women on your side, you have a better chance of surviving.

lc8em.jpg

• Like 1

34-1. Currently sitting around 97 percent on rotten tomatos. Critics aren't always right, but there's no way this many can be wrong.

That's because none would have the balls to highlight the ridiculous feminist drivel like above.

By all means it might be well made and entertaining but to me a Mad Max film where Max takes a back seat solely to promote a feminist fantasy is just absurd and an insult to the original film.

34-1. Currently sitting around 97 percent on rotten tomatos. Critics aren't always right, but there's no way this many can be wrong.

This is reminding me of Skyfall - it's rare that a film gets such unanimous praise in pre-release press.

I won't be able to see it until next week - heading down to Columbus Thursday night for Rock On The Range.

That's because none would have the balls to highlight the ridiculous feminist drivel like above.

By all means it might be well made and entertaining but to me a Mad Max film where Max takes a back seat solely to promote a feminist fantasy is just absurd and an insult to the original film.

Vanity Fair is a woman's magazine. Understand that it might have been written with a female audience in mind. I'm fairly confident you'll see Max dismember and destroy throughout most of the film.

Not sure how a woman kicking ass becomes a "feminist fantasy." It's not the 1970s anymore where all women are relegated to the role of damsel in distress. I think the concept of women fighting back in an overtly patriarchal society is interesting. The plot of the movie is fairly simple, makes sense to layer it with various themes.