MAD MAX: Fury Road

Zint

34-1. Currently sitting around 97 percent on rotten tomatos. Critics aren't always right, but there's no way this many can be wrong.

That's because none would have the balls to highlight the ridiculous feminist drivel like above.

By all means it might be well made and entertaining but to me a Mad Max film where Max takes a back seat solely to promote a feminist fantasy is just absurd and an insult to the original film.

Vanity Fair is a woman's magazine. Understand that it might have been written with a female audience in mind. I'm fairly confident you'll see Max dismember and destroy throughout most of the film.

Not sure how a woman kicking ass becomes a "feminist fantasy." It's not the 1970s anymore where all women are relegated to the role of damsel in distress. I think the concept of women fighting back in an overtly patriarchal society is interesting. The plot of the movie is fairly simple, makes sense to layer it with various themes.

It is precisely the idea of women who lool like models (Charlize Theron etc) going head to head with savages in a violent patriarchal society, and presumeably winning, that is a feminist fantasy.

It is the perfect example of fantasy feminist thinking because it has no bearing on reality.

Just ask the women who dealt with these guys

091911-global-boko-haram1.png

or these guys

IS_insurgents,_Anbar_Province,_Iraq.jpg

That is about as close as you'll get to the ultra-violent patriarchal world depicted in Mad Max. So yes this is a feminist fantasy being perpetuated by Hollywood as the article points out.

Frankly, I think it is a bunch of bullshit myself. Doesn't mean it won't be entertaining to some people but I'd much rather watch the original.

I haven't seen the originals. Should I bother? I plan on seeing this.

You should definitely see the originals (what FK said) but I don't think that you need to have seen them before seeing this one, as it seems to be a re-imagining.

I haven't seen the originals. Should I bother? I plan on seeing this.

My fiancé and I did that a month ago. Here's what we found:

Don't bother with the first or third. They're both terrible for very different reasons. The second one is fantastic and is likely the most similar to Fury Road.

34-1. Currently sitting around 97 percent on rotten tomatos. Critics aren't always right, but there's no way this many can be wrong.

That's because none would have the balls to highlight the ridiculous feminist drivel like above.

By all means it might be well made and entertaining but to me a Mad Max film where Max takes a back seat solely to promote a feminist fantasy is just absurd and an insult to the original film.

Vanity Fair is a woman's magazine. Understand that it might have been written with a female audience in mind. I'm fairly confident you'll see Max dismember and destroy throughout most of the film.

Not sure how a woman kicking ass becomes a "feminist fantasy." It's not the 1970s anymore where all women are relegated to the role of damsel in distress. I think the concept of women fighting back in an overtly patriarchal society is interesting. The plot of the movie is fairly simple, makes sense to layer it with various themes.

It is precisely the idea of women who lool like models (Charlize Theron etc) going head to head with savages in a violent patriarchal society, and presumeably winning, that is a feminist fantasy.

It is the perfect example of fantasy feminist thinking because it has no bearing on reality.

or these guys

That is about as close as you'll get to the ultra-violent patriarchal world depicted in Mad Max. So yes this is a feminist fantasy being perpetuated by Hollywood as the article points out.

Frankly, I think it is a bunch of bullshit myself. Doesn't mean it won't be entertaining to some people but I'd much rather watch the original.

Really? So in a movie where a bad guy uses a gas powered flame throwing guitar, you're concern is about realism focuses solely on female empowerment?

Second, you're rigid notion of patriarchal societies is rather scary. To suggest that the fictional world of Mad Max should parallel one version of patriarchy found in the middle east is based on your own narrow logic. Moreover, the example you site is not devoid of female response and retribution. Exhibit A: http://www.businessinsider.com/first-female-uae-pilot-2014-9

Mad Max is a fictional movie that was never really based on reality. The rejection of this new movie because you feel it fails to conform to some bullshit idea of patriarchy is ridiculous.

Don't bother with the first or third. They're both terrible for very different reasons. The second one is fantastic and is likely the most similar to Fury Road.

Fair enough you don't like the first film but I think a newcomer should most definitely bother to see it.

• Like 1

or these guys

Really? So in a movie where a bad guy uses a gas powered flame flowing guitar, you're concern is about realism focuses solely on female empowerment?

Second, you're rigid notion of patriarchal societies is rather scary. To suggest that the fictional world of Mad Max should parallel one version of patriarchy found in the middle east is based on your own narrow logic. Moreover, the example you site is not devoid of female response and retribution. Exhibit A: http://www.businessinsider.com/first-female-uae-pilot-2014-9

Mad Max is a fictional movie that was never really based on reality. The rejection of this new movie because you feel it fails to conform to some bullshit idea of patriarchy is ridiculous.

No, my concern is about Hollywood yet again taking a classic guy's movie and rewriting it with the express purpose of desseminating a radical feminist agenda

This is but one example of a trend that is dominating the media these days - it is everywhere from commercials to tv shows and now even computer games.

It is insidious and the perfect example of not just political correctness gone mad but the active embracing of radical feminism whose purpose it to portray men as disempowered idiots who can barely function.

By all means make a movie with strong female role models but how dare they take a classic guy's movie and churn it through the feminist propaganda machine.

Not to mention adopt as a central plot point the feminist hot topic of the day - the human trafficking of sex slaves.

I'm not surprised the first movie didn't appeal to you. Too much of a reminder of the evil patriarchy of the white male. The matriarchal promised land of Fury Road will no doubt delight you.

Even Vanity Fair was explicit in the purpose of this movie:

All that is about to change when Mad Max: Fury Road speeds into theaters on May 15, carrying with it a new generation of heroines. Lord knows we don’t need another hero.

Fine then, but at least give it a more accurate name - like Mad Maxipad.

Edited by Facekicker

For some reason I doubt that Mad Max will be a secondary character.

Rad this article - http://time.com/3850323/mad-max-fury-road-eve-ensler-feminist/?xid=fbshare

Here's an excerpt

Here’s a surprise: Tom Hardy, a.k.a. Mad Max, isn’t the star of Mad Max: Fury Road. Charlize Theron is. An even bigger surprise? Vagina Monologues author Eve Ensler consulted on what turns out to be a very feminist film.

In the action movie, an evil ruler becomes enraged when he discovers that Charlize Theron’s character, Furiosa, has helped his sex slaves escape his grasp. Behind them they leave the message: “Women are not things.” Furiosa encounters Max on the road, and they team up in search of a matriarchal promised land with bad guys in hot pursuit. Theron, not Hardy, leads the charge; she also does the majority of the fighting.

It’s a sort of sneaky feminism. When you say the premise—a woman warrior escapes with female sex slaves—that doesn’t necessarily sound like a blockbuster. But because it’s an action film, guys will see it. Something similar is happening with another summer film: Amy Schumer, who’s a really outspoken feminist comedian, is coming out with the rom-com Trainwreck. LeBron James is in the movie, which I think might lure men who might not otherwise go. Is that subversive feminism the best way to address women’s issues in film?

One day, we won’t have to sneak it. One day we will be overt. One of the great things about this film is that when you have women on your side, you have a better chance of surviving. It’s clear that we’re all served better when women are equal. We don’t want to dominate. We just want our stories to be given equal consideration—to also get a spot on the playing field.

or these guys

Really? So in a movie where a bad guy uses a gas powered flame flowing guitar, you're concern is about realism focuses solely on female empowerment?

No, my concern is about Hollywood yet again taking a classic guy's movie and rewriting it with the express purpose of desseminating a radical feminist agenda

This is but one example of a trend that is dominating the media these days - it is everywhere from commercials to tv shows and now even computer games.

It is insidious and the perfect example of not just political correctness gone mad but the active embracing of radical feminism whose purpose it to portray men as disempowered idiots who can barely function.

By all means make a movie with strong female role models but how dare they take a classic guy's movie and churn it through the feminist propaganda machine.

Not to mention adopt as a central plot point the feminist hot topic of the day - the human trafficking of sex slaves.

I'm not surprised the first movie didn't appeal to you. Too much of a reminder of the evil patriarchy of the white male. The matriarchal promised land of Fury Road will no doubt delight you.

All that is about to change when Mad Max: Fury Road speeds into theaters on May 15, carrying with it a new generation of heroines. Lord knows we don’t need another hero.

quit being a hooray for tolerance!

EDIT- This is for you, looks like Theron is front and center =P

http://i.imgur.com/C1Mqc2K.jpg

Edited by ZoSoRose

So in your opinion, in order for a movie to be considers a "guy film," all women need to take a back seat to men always.

And when you say Hollywood reworking a classic guys film to include a feminist slant, do you mean George Miller, the same guy who conceived and thought up of the whole Mad Max universe in the first place? I'd be a little more inclined to accept your argument if Sofia Coppola or Penny Marshal was writing and directing, but we're talking about a film written and produced by the same guy who made the first three. Miller spent 14 years working on this movie. Why? Because he's swayed by the feminist agenda?

Where you see an agenda most others see a director/creator returning to his creation from another angle. Why repeat the same tired formula of man saves girl when the plot of this movie is already exceedingly simple (girl runs away, car chase across the dessert ensues). A woman decides to fight back in a universe you deem sacrosanct and all of sudden it's radical feminism. Again, really?

The first movie didn't appeal to me because other than the dystopian vision (which, let's be honest, is heavily borrowed from Stanley Kubrick's vastly superior A Clockwork's Orange), the movie is a poor execution of movie making. It's a film in the grind house style of its day; the fact that it's been elevated to some great exercise in cinema is beyond me. The first and third really haven't aged well; the only one that still holds up is the second, which is still set in a very hyper-masculine world.

A movie steeped and based on misogyny or patriarchy does not render it good nor bad in and of itself. However, unlike yourself, I certainly don't think that the absence of either element in a film makes it unworthy of my time or adoration.

And hey, at least you know Stallone has your back, as we can all wait for another instalment of the yearly steroid yank-athon:

a2ffb760-0dca-11e4-a340-f988e4f8f6df_exp

• Like 1

Going to see this in 2D tomorrow! And might be tempted to follow it up with a screening of "It Follows" in a nearby theater.

I like the first Mad Max but the second one is by far the best. The third one suffers from selling out to hollywood formula and misses that raw edge of the previous two. I suspect Road Fury will fall somewhere in between parts 2 and 3 in that regard.