MAD MAX: Fury Road

Zint

Saw it this morning. It's a magnificent piece of action film making on almost every front (as is often the case with the genre, script has some issues). That Warner Bros gave Miller as much money as they appear to have, and respected his vision (?) is somewhat miraculous.

Meanwhile, I eagerly anticipate a spectacular fanboy blow back over the coming week, as the article Facekicker keeps kvetching about is pretty much on point - this is a profoundly feminist film and Max/Hardy is essentially playing second fiddle to Furiosa/Theron. This can be "blamed" (for the record, *I* had no problem with this but a lot of you presumably will), on both the script in which Max is severely underwritten, and on Hardy himself. While a fine actor, it's never been clear that he has the X factor movie star gene and in fact this film pretty cleanly establishes that he doesn't. A young Gibson or a current Christian Bale etc could at least hold their own ground with Theron, Hardy doesn't even put up a fight.

I'm really curious to see how well it does at the box office, a visionary director, an action movie that doesn't involve super heroes...there's a lot riding here, although I'm afraid it may well end up being this year's Edge of Tomorrow.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 2

Saw it this morning. It's a magnificent piece of action film making on almost every front (as is often the case with the genre, script has some issues). That Warner Bros gave Miller as much money as they appear to have, and respected his vision (?) is somewhat miraculous.

Meanwhile, I eagerly anticipate a spectacular fanboy blow back over the coming week, as the article Facekicker keeps kvetching about is pretty much on point - this is a profoundly feminist film and Max/Hardy is essentially playing second fiddle to Furiosa/Theron. This can be "blamed" (for the record, *I* had no problem with this but a lot of you presumably will), on both the script in which Max is severely underwritten, and on Hardy himself. While a fine actor, it's never been clear that he has the X factor movie star gene and in fact this film pretty cleanly establishes that he doesn't. A young Gibson or a current Christian Bale etc could at least hold their own ground with Theron, Hardy doesn't even put up a fight.

I'm really curious to see how well it does at the box office, a visionary director, an action movie that doesn't involve super heroes...there's a lot riding here, although I'm afraid it may well end up being this year's Edge of Tomorrow.

Thanks for the review. Looking forward to hearing from Facekicker how the entire franchised was ruined because we have a strong female lead :P

In terms of it being this year's Edge of Tomorrow, I don't see that happening. Edge of Tomorrow had two things going against it: Tom Cruise and its aesthetic. A lot of people are turned off by Cruise, hence many assumed it would just be another alpha-dog movie where TC is the master of all things. It wasn't marketed properly to demonstrate that he was playing against type. The second issue is that it looked like every other sci-fi movie out there. Overly-reliant on CGI, it looked more like a video-game than an actual movie.

This movie doesn't suffer from either of these issues. Its aesthetic isn't like anything we've seen in a long while. Plus few have tired of Hardy or Theron in a way that many can't bare to watch a Cruise-driven movie. In addition, Mad Max is a strong brand that have strong associations for many people 30 and up. Edge of Tomorrow was an original ip with no such attachments. And though EofT did very well with critics (90 percent on Rotten Tomatoes), the adoration and acclaim for this new Mad Max instalment seem universal.

Saw it this afternoon and can't remember having enjoyed a movie this much at the theater. The script is great as are the performances (especially by Theron). I didn't get the Max being second fiddle part, the balance between him and Furiosa is as it should be. The world of Mad Max was never as outlandish as it is here but I reveled in all the attention spent on detail and the elaborate stunt and CGI sequences. It is violent, and there were parts where I was surprised things didn't get cut. As far as I'm concerned on par with the second one and easily the best movie I've seen so far this year.

And yes, there was a shitstorm of super hero trailers preceding it. I'm glad there is room for a movie like this in this marvel wasteland.

Edited by Bumblefeet
  • Like 1

Seen it at a 2:PM screening here, it was very impressive. Character design wise it's very similar-ish to the 2nd/3rd film, but this looks spectacular.

Wish I'd seen this in IMAX. Ironically for a film with more action-set pieces and over-the-top sequences than both Avenger's films combined, this didn't look like it was filled with CGI. Which is testament to how good it looks.

Not a film with Oscar winning performances, but it's about as satisfying as it could possibly get.

Edited by AtariLegend

Seen it at a 2:PM screening here, it was very impressive. Character design wise it's very similar-ish to the 2nd/3rd film, but this looks spectacular.

Wish I'd seen this in IMAX. Ironically for a film with more action-set pieces and over-the-top sequences than both Avenger's films combined, this didn't look like it was filled with CGI. Which is testament to how good it looks.

Not a film with Oscar winning performances, but it's about as satisfying as it could possibly get.

Because it isn't filled with CGI. I think it was Downzy, about a page or two back posted an article about how almost everything in the film is practical effects.

This is the greatest film ever made.

Well, not really.

But in terms of an action flick, it has very few peers. The action scenes are just out of this world. And considering how little director George Miller uses CGI, you almost wonder how people weren't straight up killed making this thing.

The movie's look is awesome. Miller is great at creating these amazing landscapes, and this one is no different. The compound in 'The Road Warrior' was bested by the look of Bartertown in 'Beyond Thunderdome'. And here, a new bar is set with The Citadel (the bad guy's homebase) and the chase scenes in the Wasteland.

Acting wise, Charlize Theron is the best part of a strong cast. She's great. Best female action character since Ellen Ripley of 'Alien' fame. Tom Hardy might not say 100 words in the entire film. But that's not new. Max only has 16 lines of dialogue in 'The Road Warrior'.

There will absolutely be a sequel because the reviews are off the charts with effusive praise and it will make money. Miller also already has the next one written. Honestly, it doesn't set up for an obvious sequel, but one will happen nonetheless.

Go see this. Go see it in the theater. And spring for the 3-D.

• Like 1

Yeah but that's just some bra burning feminist lady putting her spin on it, it's not George Miller there saying that's what this is all about.

Actually, it is exactly what he is saying.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/mad-max-fury-road-george-miller-interview

I've gone from being very male dominant to being surrounded by magnificent women. I can’t help but be a feminist,” says George Miller.

Look, my objection to this kind of claptrap is that there is a growing trend in the world of entertainment of targeting popular franchises that are predominantly male orientated and built on the backs of appealing to a male audience and then screwing with the formula to introduce things like feminism and political correctness.

It is very deliberate and it is getting really annoying.

You have Mad Max here, where the main character of the franchise is sidelined in favour of strong female characters.

Now, my point would be this. There is nothing wrong with strong female characters, just don't shoehorn them into a franchise in this manner. Why can't Hollywood focus on creating a new franchise around this instead of fucking with an existing one?

Look at Kill Bill for example. Great movies.

The other franchise that is being messed with is Terminator. Now, this one is particularly interesting in that you had both strong male (Kyle Reese, John Connor) characters and strong female characters (Sarah Connor).

For this new planned trilogy starting with Terminator Genisys they are taking a new direction. If the rumoured ending is true there will be a HUGE backlash

Don't read this if you don't want to know the twist at the end of Genisys

The end of the movie see's Sarah kill Future John Connor and then give birth not to John Connor as she is supposed to but in fact she gives birth to a girl. John Connor has been written out of the franchise. The new trilogy is about Sarah's daughter growing up to be the leader of the resistance.

Then there is the Mortal Kombat videogames introducing it's first gay character which also features a cut-scene about gay acceptance

:facepalm:

Edited by Facekicker

Yeah but that's just some bra burning feminist lady putting her spin on it, it's not George Miller there saying that's what this is all about.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/mad-max-fury-road-george-miller-interview

I've gone from being very male dominant to being surrounded by magnificent women. I can’t help but be a feminist,” says George Miller.

Look, my objection to this kind of claptrap is that there is a growing trend in the world of entertainment of targeting popular franchises that are predominantly male orientated and built on the backs of appealing to a male audience and then screwing with the formula to introduce things like feminism and political correctness.

You have Mad Max here, where the main character of the franchise is sidelined in favour of strong female characters.

Now, my point would be this. There is nothing wrong with strong female characters, just don't shoehorn them into a franchise in this manner. Why can't Hollywood focus on creating a new franchise around this instead of fucking with an existing one?

The other franchise that is being messed with is Terminator. Now, this one is particularly interesting in that you had both strong male (Kyle Reese, John Connor) characters and strong female characters (Sarah Connor).

For this new planned trilogy starting with Terminator Genisys they are taking a new direction. If the rumoured ending is true there will be a HUGE backlash

The end of the movie see's Sarah kill Future John Connor and then give birth not to John Connor as she is supposed to but in fact she gives birth to a girl. John Connor has been written out of the franchise. The new trilogy is about Sarah's daughter growing up to be the leader of the resistance.

Then there is the Mortal Kombat videogames introducing it's first gay character which also features a cut-scene about gay acceptance

So do you disagree with Star Wars: The Force Awakens' main character being female?

So do you disagree with Star Wars: The Force Awakens' main character being female?

Star Wars was always pretty balanced. Leia wasn't exactly a shrinking violet, she kicked ass as much as Luke or Han.

And the new trilogy seems to be continuing that with Rey, Finn & Poe continuing that dynamic.

But as far as I can tell Facekicker, you're the only one across the Internet who seems to take issue with a strong female lead in this new instalment of Mad Max. Sorry, but Hollywood seems to want to move on from its male-centric history. Why is that such a problem? So long as the movie is good or great, who gives a fuck whether Miller includes a strong female lead? I seriously don't get your issue unless it taps into your own personal views on male-female relationships.

Sure, I guess Hollywood could keep making more Expendables-type movies where you need a dick to carry a gun, but audiences have been shown this movie for decades. We've had decades of films reinforcing gender-roles, do we need to continue this trend because you're offended by change?

And if we consider the first film, Max is hardly the main focal point until the very end of the movie. It's not as though Miller is breaking the mould by making Max less than centre of the film.

You mean like Ellen Ripley in the Alien movies in the 80s and 90s? Or any other female heroine in sci-fi horror? Have people suddenly discovered strong female characters in motion pictures lol?

And how politically correct was Mad Max Fury Road to have a

pregnant woman seen run over and cut open to inspect her dead fetus for birth defects and impurities
? Guess they forgot to put the kibosh on that one.

Also, in a male dominated what little there is "society" of the Mad Max universe, wouldn't you say that feminism makes for great drama? Or are they not allowed to use it because of what, a gay agenda in hollywood? Please.

• Like 1

But as far as I can tell Facekicker, you're the only one across the Internet who seems to take issue with a strong female lead in this new instalment of Mad Max. Sorry, but Hollywood seems to want to move on from its male-centric history. Why is that such a problem? So long as the movie is good or great, who gives a fuck whether Miller includes a strong female lead? I seriously don't get your issue unless it taps into your own personal views on male-female relationships.

Sure, I guess Hollywood could keep making more Expendables-type movies where you need a dick to carry a gun, but audiences have been shown this movie for decades. We've had decades of films reinforcing gender-roles, do we need to continue this trend because you're offended by change?

And if we consider the first film, Max is hardly the main focal point until the very end of the movie. It's not as though Miller is breaking the mould by making Max less than centre of the film.

I'm the only one across the internet? :lol:

That's some amazing technical analysis skills you have there Downzy. You should volunteer your services to the Clinton Campaign instead of wasting them here at MyGNR.