MAD MAX: Fury Road

Zint

Gonna see it again on Wednesday. Can't wait.

What's up with the IMAX release for this? It's only showing in a handful of IMAX theaters in the US. Totally defies logic - if they need to transfer it to an IMAX-presentable format, why not just show it in all IMAX theaters?

Just saw this. Pretty good, but I dare say Facekicker was right. Mad Max felt like a side character to Furiosa the whole way through.

It seems to me like it was originally conceived as a standalone, original movie with no ties to a franchise. It simply would have been about Furiosa and her people. They decided late in production to add the Mad Max character and brand/franchise to the movie to help it sell tickets in this age of reboots, sequels and adaptations because nothing original sells, at all.

I really did enjoy it though.

EDIT: Just found out it was directed by the guy who made the originals. Maybe there is some secret feminist agenda to all this.

Edited by bacardimayne

Except it's not really a feminist film if you take more than ten seconds to think about it. The women are still heavily dependent on the males (Max and Nux) to provide them with protection. There are many instances where Max could have abandoned the wives and Furiosa but ultimately decided to help in their efforts to escape. If the goal was to reengineer Mad Mad as a feminist project, we likely would have seen the roles reversed, with Max's life and freedom depended on the women that surrounds him. That's not at all what this movie illustrates. In many ways the plot is similar to Max's journey in Beyond the Thunderdome. Initially saved by a girl, Max later provides protection for the children attempting to reach Sydney.

Just saw this. Pretty good, but I dare say Facekicker was right. Mad Max felt like a side character to Furiosa the whole way through.

It seems to me like it was originally conceived as a standalone, original movie with no ties to a franchise. It simply would have been about Furiosa and her people. They decided late in production to add the Mad Max character and brand/franchise to the movie to help it sell tickets in this age of reboots, sequels and adaptations because nothing original sells, at all.

EDIT: Just found out it was directed by the guy who made the originals. Maybe there is some secret feminist agenda to all this.

If you read some of the articles that were posted in this thread, you'll see you couldn't be more wrong about the Mad Max brand being used for a separate film. George Miller has been working on the fourth installment of Mad Max off and on for over 14 years. Miller isn't just the director of the original movies, he's also the guy who came up with the idea and wrote or co-wrote the screenplays. Fury Road includes strong female characters. That doesn't mean we can assign some secrete feminist agenda.

Except it's not really a feminist film if you take more than ten seconds to think about it. The women are still heavily dependent on the males (Max and Nux) to provide them with protection. There are many instances where Max could have abandoned the wives and Furiosa but ultimately decided to help in their efforts to escape. If the goal was to reengineer Mad Mad as a feminist project, we likely would have seen the roles reversed, with Max's life and freedom depended on the women that surrounds him. That's not at all what this movie illustrates. In many ways the plot is similar to Max's journey in Beyond the Thunderdome. Initially saved by a girl, Max later provides protection for the children attempting to reach Sydney.

If you read some of the articles that were posted in this thread, you'll see you couldn't be more wrong about the Mad Max brand being used for a separate film. George Miller has been working on the fourth installment of Mad Max off and on for over 14 years. Miller isn't just the director of the original movies, he's also the guy who came up with the idea and wrote or co-wrote the screenplays. Fury Road includes strong female characters. That doesn't mean we can assign some secrete feminist agenda.

Yeah, that was just how I felt upon seeing the movie with little knowledge of the franchise in general. The character of Mad Max felt like he was basically tagging along on Furiosa's journey. He never really did much that was substantial to the plot. The movie could have went down the same way, with minimal edits, if his character was entirely removed. Again, I really enjoyed the movie and the strong female characters did nothing to detract from this (well, the old ladies at the end were a bit much), I just somewhat understand where Facekicker was coming from after seeing it and wish that Max himself had gotten a little more limelight in his own movie. He should have at least gotten to kill Immortan Joe or his son.

Regardless, my favorite action movie since Edge of Tomorrow.

Edited by bacardimayne

Hugh Keays-Byrne (The Toecutter/Immortan Joe) is apparently signed on for a couple more Mad Max films, so I don't think this is the last we have seen of IJ.

I remember hearing they had filmed two back to back, Fury Road and Furiosa-but apparently that didn't pan out?

The 4th Max film has been a bit like Chinese Democracy, I remember the announcement that Mel was back for $45 million and then the postponement after 9/11 and a lot of shit in between.

Still haven't seen this yet, I'm hoping I get a chance to during this week.

Gonna see it again on Wednesday. Can't wait.

What's up with the IMAX release for this? It's only showing in a handful of IMAX theaters in the US. Totally defies logic - if they need to transfer it to an IMAX-presentable format, why not just show it in all IMAX theaters?

It's got limited showings at the main IMAX here since Avengers and Tomorrowland are hogging most of the screen time, I assume it's the same in the US.

I didn't see it as feminist movie, there was a chick and a dude but neither was really doing anything or saying anything. Just driving a truck through a desert isn't a movie.

Was the point that Mad didn't rate her at first but at the end he gives her the nod. A bit patronising no?

It seems like a device to hand over the baton to the female role for the next movie where there will be no Max, and Angelina Jolie will sign up.

Edited by wasted

I didn't see it as feminist movie, there was a chick and a dude but neither was really doing anything or saying anything. Just driving a truck through a desert isn't a movie.

Was the point that Mad didn't rate her at first but at the end he gives her the nod. A bit patronising no?

It seems like a device to hand over the baton to the female role for the next movie where there will be no Max, and Angelina Jolie will sign up.

Except Tom Hardy already signed up to do 3 more movies...

I read your previous comments dismissing this movie because it's "basically driving a truck through a desert" and just all action with no story; you are dismissing the gang rivalries and interested parties in obtaining that truck (as one of them points out at one point "all of this for a family feud"), the clashing belief systems (the warboy whose world shatters when he fails to achieve victory, the harem who have never experienced the outside world), the element of hope (and redemption for Furiosa), escaping ones pre-ordained role in society (had Furiosa stayed she'd have been living under Joe and the same for the girls), standing up to the corrupt and unjust system by taking faith in your own hands at the risk of losing your life.

Miller himself said in plenty of interviews he tries to make his movies appeal internationally by having the language of film be visual and not dialogue heavy. That means a lot of action, but not physics or plot defying action the likes of Michael Bay, but action that supports the storytelling. Although the majority of the movie takes place on that truck, there's a lot taking place on it; new friendship and bonding, loss of life, trust, despair and even a love story. Most of it in what is a very short time cinematically.

As Downzy pointed out, Max is vital to the plot of the movie, but of course it's Furioza's undertaking he's willing to support. And when she gives up, he puts her back on track and by doing so, makes amends with his own personal demons that are still haunting him. Which has been the motivation for Max all along throughout the series; some Macho.

I don't get these people who see the Mad Max character as some sort of beer guzzling hairy chested cigarette smoking bad ass who roams the desert with his bad ass car, killing other bad asses and stooping bitches over the hood of his car. Must of missed those installments in the Mad Max franchise. ;)

Edited by Bumblefeet
  • Like 2

I'm not a Miller fanboy so didn't get all the info. I just watched it after watching the trilogy. So I might have had Mad Max fatigue.

I'm not so good at following all the intracies of plot really. But pacing and whether I get hooked in to characters is tangible on first view.

That happened on Thunderdome for me. With this one I was thinking I don't care, wouldn't it be cool if they were all ambushed and slaughtered by a bunch of savages.

I think I just knew what was going to happen and switched off. I guess I like mysteries and stuff that makes you think. Not they rose above their shit life so what? You know they still live in a shithole.

I'm sorry if I was dismissive I just hadn't worked out why I didn't like it. I don't like action movies much anyway so my opinion is pretty worthless.

It reminded me of Tony Scott's Unstoppable which hooked me in somehow. Really got the idea of the characters, what was at stake. With Fury I just had no idea what was going on.

I don't get these people who see the Mad Max character as some sort of beer guzzling hairy chested cigarette smoking bad ass who roams the desert with his bad ass car, killing other bad asses and stooping bitches over the hood of his car. Must of missed those installments in the Mad Max franchise. ;)

I think these people confuse the character of Mad Max with the real life persona of Mel Gibson :P

• Like 2

I think these people confuse the character of Mad Max with the real life persona of Mel Gibson :P

As I mentioned earlier I haven't seen this yet, but in the 2nd and 3rd films Max is basically a hapless victim of circumstances and pretty much at the mercy of everybody else...the 2nd film had that strong chick that fights alongside him too, I don't get it.

I'm not a Miller fanboy so didn't get all the info. I just watched it after watching the trilogy. So I might have had Mad Max fatigue.

I'm not so good at following all the intracies of plot really. But pacing and whether I get hooked in to characters is tangible on first view.

That happened on Thunderdome for me. With this one I was thinking I don't care, wouldn't it be cool if they were all ambushed and slaughtered by a bunch of savages.

I think I just knew what was going to happen and switched off. I guess I like mysteries and stuff that makes you think. Not they rose above their shit life so what? You know they still live in a shithole.

I'm sorry if I was dismissive I just hadn't worked out why I didn't like it. I don't like action movies much anyway so my opinion is pretty worthless.

It reminded me of Tony Scott's Unstoppable which hooked me in somehow. Really got the idea of the characters, what was at stake. With Fury I just had no idea what was going on.

Well at least now I know where you're coming from. I guess it's also hard for me to imagine anyone not liking Fury Road, it's just that fricking good. :lol:

Unstoppable was ok, I liked it as well.

Just saw it and it's definitley one of the most visually-impressive movies I ever saw on the big screen and most likely the best use of 3-D I'd ever seen - and it was fun and it was violent and you just wait for the first action sequence to end and it just doesn't and goes on and on till the credits. :D Best action flick since Dredd, although not a masterpiece like the Road Warrior, I would love to see more movies from Hollywood to take such an unconventional and unpredictable (not story-wise) approach like this one did.

Saw it a 2nd time in 3D, I think it's worth seeing once at least in each format. Picked up a lot of little details this time I didn't first time round.

This time I saw it with my uncle. He fell asleep at the midpoint.

34bde2c7eac4b12fec8ebfad5b806f0f5c12f2f7

• Like 1