Bumblefoot's TONE

I am a fan of the new band, seen them live and am a fan of CD. When all this chatter of will he/ wont he stay in GnR i am on the side of "i hope he stays"...talented, great personality etc etc... HOWEVER, after spending a few nights on youtube this week watching some recent shows i have to say that his tone just misses the mark for me.Specifically, parts like the WTTJ and Estranged solos just don't have the same color to them when he plays them. They are note for note..he does a great job playing them and really getting into his parts but its missing that "something"...and i don't mean its missing Slash... am i alone in this?

Nope, I completely agree with you. I have no problem with digital effects, love technology and would kill for a setup like BBF's. When he's covering Slash's parts though, it simply doesn't sound good.

Not only Ron, but Richard's solo on NR, for example, has always sounded weird. As for DJ, I just can't blame the gear...

Robin and Bucket, on the other hand, did a great job adapting their equipment to the GNR sound, adding their own characteristics here and there, of course.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm a Bumble fan and I don't like his tone. I like his wide bends, and his vibrato is great imo. HORRID tone though.

Richard has a shitty tone as well. And I don't like his bends. He does this annoying as shit thing where he doesn't bend it right away to the target note. I hate it. But I like his guitar playing anyway. A great guitar player.

Robin's tone is awesome. In Guns, it was sharp as fuck, piercing through whatever the fuck. Tons of emotion. Just badass.

Bucket's tone and bends are fuckin' perfect. There is nothing wrong with his tone imo. Some will dislike just how clean it is, but it's so good, I don't care.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

BBF sounds better than Slash did on Estranged. Hands down! Opinion, not fact...

lol yeah right listen too Rio 2011 his guitar sounds like it's from the $2 shop Slash can play it better pissed and on drugs the bumble ever will

Slash

Bumblefoot

Utterly awful. :vomit:

Bumble's tone on that one has q-zone pedal or a wah pedal kicked in at a fixed position, that's why it sounds like that.

Best tone I've ever heard was Slash's live tone from 1989 till middle 2000s, in particular on the UYI tour. It was courtesy of the best Marshall ever produced, the Silver Jubilee that marked 25 years of Marshall amps and latter in 1995 was reissued as Marshall JCM Slash, altough it was the same amp.

Slash doesn't uses it anymore, that's why he doesn't sounds as good as he used to in my opinion (talking about the tone, not the playing).

Edited by Klay

Bumble's tone on that one has q-zone pedal or a wah pedal kicked in at a fixed position, that's why it sounds like that.

Is he using the same here?

He sounds utterly awful in that video too. Terrible tone.

Best tone I've ever heard was Slash's live tone from 1989 till middle 2000s, in particular on the UYI tour. It was courtesy of the best Marshall ever produced, the Silver Jubilee that marked 25 years of Marshall amps and latter in 1995 was reissued as Marshall JCM Slash, altough it was the same amp.

Slash doesn't uses it anymore, that's why he doesn't sounds as good as he used to in my opinion (talking about the tone, not the playing).

Yep, in my opinion, best tone was Slash's UYI tone during the UYI tour, followed by AFD. And yes, his current tone is flat, and it sucks.

Is he using the same here?

He sounds utterly awful in that video too. Terrible tone.

No, I don't think so; his tone here is cool.

On the other video the tone is quacky, clearly a wah kicked in at a fixed position or a q-zone pedal which does the same effect.

Here's a rig rundown of Bumble's gear:

Bumble seems to be a nice guy, down to earth, got to respect that.

Slash wrote Estranged solos and guitar melodies. Bumblefoot does a great job covering Slash's material.

Holy fuck really?

Believe me, sometimes people forget (or pretend to forget) this fact.

Ron will never play it perfectly regardless of his technique.

Ron's cover of Estranged is perfect in terms of playing. The tone could be better but he's got the song itself down to a science and he's had it down since Rio. No 4 year and ongoing learning curve like DJ with TIL (and Patience, and SCOM, etc.)

Ron's tone is pretty bad. Honestly I think Finck's tone is the only nugnr tone I can definitely say I've liked. Bucket's playing was phenomenal of course and I'd never ask him to change his tone, but sometimes it did lead to GNR songs not really sounding like GNR songs.

That's what you get when you use shit like Line6 or whatever the fuck processing he uses. Give me a fuckin Marshall JCM800, Marshall stack, and a Les Paul any day.

He's used an ENGL Invader and Marshall cabs since 2009. The only digital thing in his rig is the TC Electronics Nova System, used for solo boosts and whatever little effects he might need. There's a wah in there too.

It's a simpler rig than Slash's current setup.

I think he's using both pickups out of phase actually, his guitars are wired like that. It gives you that real nasally Bohemian Rhapsody solo type of sound.

If I remember right, I think he discusses guitar electronics here:

Edited by Bumble's Bridge Pickup
  • Like 1