Slash had no idea what the November Rain music video was about..

The 'trilogy' is ghastly. It ruined GN'R forever. Izzy hated it also. I would respect Slash more if he said the whole thing was a 'piece of cack'.

Yet it is why Slash is who he is today. Without UYI and their videos GNR would have been a one hit album band with a little controversy to their name. Funny how Izzy is just another no name solo artist that happened to be in GNR and writes great songs. Yet Slash still has a popular solo career. I wonder why....

I do not agree with that. What made GN'R - and by extension - Slash a household name was Appetite. The trilogy was a bunch of stupid cheesy crap which, if anything, harmed Slash's reputation.

what are you 12? or do you live in a tapper in the 90's?. The world got to know Slash/GNR cos the illusion records and those videos.

Bollocks. AFD broke GN'R. They were already household names before the cacky ballads.

Just cause Slash has to downplay what GNR did to make his new album look better than it is doesnt mean we have to.

Except that Slash isn't doing that at all.

Weird that you would make up lies to try and make Slash look bad. Why would you do that?

The 'trilogy' is ghastly. It ruined GN'R forever. Izzy hated it also. I would respect Slash more if he said the whole thing was a 'piece of cack'.

Yet it is why Slash is who he is today. Without UYI and their videos GNR would have been a one hit album band with a little controversy to their name. Funny how Izzy is just another no name solo artist that happened to be in GNR and writes great songs. Yet Slash still has a popular solo career. I wonder why....

I do not agree with that. What made GN'R - and by extension - Slash a household name was Appetite. The trilogy was a bunch of stupid cheesy crap which, if anything, harmed Slash's reputation.

what are you 12? or do you live in a tapper in the 90's?. The world got to know Slash/GNR cos the illusion records and those videos.

Bollocks. AFD broke GN'R. They were already household names before the cacky ballads.

No shit Appetite broke GNR. But UYI and the accompaning videos made them legends. The November Rain guitar solo scene, and outro scene with Slash on Axls piano elevated Slash to guitar god. Just cause Slash has to downplay what GNR did to make his new album look better than it is doesnt mean we have to.

Legends my arse. It made them look like dickheads.

Just cause Slash has to downplay what GNR did to make his new album look better than it is doesnt mean we have to.

Except that Slash isn't doing that at all.

Weird that you would make up lies to try and make Slash look bad. Why would you do that?

Im not making anything up. Maybe i should have worded myself better. But thats impression i get from him when downplays GNR. My apologies.

Im not making anything up.

Yes, you are.

Maybe i should have worded myself better.

No, you worded that perfectly. The order of the words do not affect the content of your statement.

But thats impression i get from him when downplays GNR. My apologies.

Except that there's no impression to get from anywhere because he doesn't downplay Gn'R or his contributions to that band to gain publicity for his solo projects. So, when you say: "that's the impression I get from him when [he] downplays Gn'R" which is something that never happened, you're making it up.

• Like 1

Im not making anything up.

Yes, you are.

Maybe i should have worded myself better.

No, you worded that perfectly. The order of the words do not affect the content of your statement.

But thats impression i get from him when downplays GNR. My apologies.

Except that there's no impression to get from anywhere because he doesn't downplay Gn'R or his contributions to that band to gain publicity for his solo projects. So, when you say: "that's the impression I get from him when [he] downplays Gn'R" which is something that never happened, you're making it up.

Sorry dude, u dont get to tell me what impressions i do or dont get from something i read.

And he doesnt do it gain publicity for his solo projects? Then why does he? Dont be so naive. Whenever he says something about GNR it becomes the headline of that article and he knows that. That gets people to read it, thus maybe in the process getting them to buy his new record.

And for the record, Axl has done the same shit. Wherr he downplayed Slashs importance to Guns or the time he said his putting lyrics to a barrage of Guitar songs wasnt the best thing for Guns.

These type of comments from both of them are so see through its pathetic. Thats the best they ever were and the best they ever will be. Nothing they say can take away from that.

Edited by ChineseIRS
  • Like 1

Chinese - I get the point you are making. And yes, together they created the best work of their careers.

But what I find fault with is your statement on here that Slash made a negative comment towards Nov Rain in attempt to downplay Axl/GnR in an attempt to make his album "look better" than it is.

Slash didn't say anything negative at all about the song November Rain. Not a negative word. Not one.

He simply said that he didn't even know what Axl was going for on the VIDEO.

To twist that into meaning he is bashing Axl in an attempt to make his own solo album seem better..........that's a logic step that makes absolutely no sense at all. In fact, your statement is EXTREMELY passive aggressive. "to make his album look better than it is." IE - he knows his album sucks and is just bashing Axl to make people overlook that fact.

Nothing Slash said should make anybody in the world think he was doing what you implied.

No offense - but your statement is one of the most off-base ones I've ever seen on the forum in my decade of posting here.

Im not saying i think Slash thinks his album sucks. But i do think hes aware by now that he wont be remembered for his solo career which in turn he downplays the things that got him hugely successful in the first place. Whether it be the music like Sweet Child or the videos like November Rain, hoping to gain some recognition for his new album. Like i said, when he says thise things he knows theyll be the headline of the article.

Slash didn't say anything really provocative in this excerpt that you posted.

And it comes across even less provocative when you watch the actual video of the comment. People dig pretty hard to try and make Slash out to be the devil himself.

Weird, isn't it.

I don't really even like Slash or his music. But I find myself defending him all the time just because of how out of touch with logic some of these people are.

Ditto. How did this get to ten pages?

• Like 1

Im not saying i think Slash thinks his album sucks. But i do think hes aware by now that he wont be remembered for his solo career which in turn he downplays the things that got him hugely successful in the first place. Whether it be the music like Sweet Child or the videos like November Rain, hoping to gain some recognition for his new album. Like i said, when he says thise things he knows theyll be the headline of the article.

OK.....let's say what you posted is true.......then why would he bash old GnR stuff? If GnR stuff is what he'll always be most known for, what sense would it make for him to bash that time period of his career? Why would he purposely stain his own legacy???

So you think that he goes into an interview thinking in advance....."if the interviewer asks me a question about GnR, I'll say something passively aggressively against Axl or GnR, so it will be the headline of the story and take the focus off my struggling solo career"...............that seems like quite a stretch to me.

Especially because his GnR comments aren't usually blown out of proportion or over-analyzed to death except for on forums like this. 99.9% of the rest of the music world see his Nov rain comment and go "Lol, no kidding. I couldn't figure it out either." Only a few random dudes on GnR message boards would take it as a negative thing or as some grand master plan that Slash has going into interviews.

No offense man - I don't mean this as a personal attack or anything. I just think in this situation you are 100% off-base.

• Like 1

OK.....let's say what you posted is true.......then why would he bash old GnR stuff? If GnR stuff is what he'll always be most known for, what sense would it make for him to bash that time period of his career? Why would he purposely stain his own legacy???

So you think that he goes into an interview thinking in advance....."if the interviewer asks me a question about GnR, I'll say something passively aggressively against Axl or GnR, so it will be the headline of the story and take the focus off my struggling solo career"...............that seems like quite a stretch to me.

Especially because his GnR comments aren't usually blown out of proportion or over-analyzed to death except for on forums like this. 99.9% of the rest of the music world see his Nov rain comment and go "Lol, no kidding. I couldn't figure it out either." Only a few random dudes on GnR message boards would take it as a negative thing or as some grand master plan that Slash has going into interviews.

No offense man - I don't mean this as a personal attack or anything. I just think in this situation you are 100% off-base.

Im not taking it as a personal attack. We're just having a discussion, are we not?

Im not saying hes purposely trying to tarnish his career with Guns. And i dont think he mentions these things to take focus off his solo career. Quite the opposite actually, i think he downplays the Guns stuff to kind of say hey, what im doing now is just as cool in his mind. Idk, thats just how i interpret it. He doesnt wanna be remembered only as the lead guitarist in Guns, but he always will. But hey, thats me.

Im not taking it as a personal attack. We're just having a discussion, are we not?

Im not saying hes purposely trying to tarnish his career with Guns. And i dont think he mentions these things to take focus off his solo career. Quite the opposite actually, i think he downplays the Guns stuff to kind of say hey, what im doing now is just as cool in his mind. Idk, thats just how i interpret it. He doesnt wanna be remembered only as the lead guitarist in Guns, but he always will. But hey, thats me.

:thumbsup: A lot of people on here get irate and take it as a personal attack if you disagree with them on here!!!

I respect your point of view and who knows, you could be right! I just think that he isn't that smart and doesn't think ahead like that. I think he just answers questions too honestly and sometimes it makes it look like he might have a grudge.

Sorry dude, u dont get to tell me what impressions i do or dont get from something i read.

But that's not the point. You can get whatever impressions you want over the things you read, but you have never read anything related to Slash 'downplaying' Gn'R or his contributions to the band to gain publicity for his solo projects. Your opinion in this particular case is based on something that doesn't exist and never existed.

And he doesnt do it gain publicity for his solo projects? Then why does he? Dont be so naive.

You said that he downplayed Gn'R to gain publicity for his solo records. You never said that he uses Gn'R to promote himself, which is debatable. I love it when people use the word 'naive', one of the many words Axl has taught his followers even though they have no idea what it means. Why would I be naive? About what exactly?

Whenever he says something about GNR it becomes the headline of that article and he knows that. That gets people to read it, thus maybe in the process getting them to buy his new record.

So, whenever he tells the same story about how AFD was put together, he immediately is on the cover or every magazine out there? lol. People don't care about Gn'R anymore, whether is for Slash's benefit or Axl's.

And for the record, Axl has done the same shit. Wherr he downplayed Slashs importance to Guns or the time he said his putting lyrics to a barrage of Guitar songs wasnt the best thing for Guns.

These type of comments from both of them are so see through its pathetic. Thats the best they ever were and the best they ever will be. Nothing they say can take away from that.

I don't really care about any of this. Whatever you think about Axl is your opinion, whatever you think about Slash is your opinion too. That said, I don't think that Axl downplays Slash's contributions to Gn'R to gain publicity for his new band or his last record.

For American football fans, this sort of reminds me of when Joe Flacco said after Ray Lewis retired that he had no idea what the hell Ray Lewis was ever screaming/crying about.

Sure, he has a point, but might be a bit unnecessary. Though in fairness to slash he was asked off the cuff, but this is hardly the only example of Slash making these sorts of passive aggressive comments. It gets to the point where he almost is embarrassed of GNR other than 5 songs off appetite.

Edited by TeeJay410

The police of emotions and opinions is patrolling around and commanding that anyone who has an opinion about Axl or Slash is a disposable idiot, except when the Sheriff has an opinion. NOW that shit really matters.

So watch out, ChineseIRS. You may be standing in the radar of Narcissus and he doesn't understand how come you'd show resistance.

I just don't get Slash when it comes to the ballads they made. He hated SCOM but it made him a guitar god.

He said he hate Don't Cry, NR and Estranged but those songs along with SCOM mad him what he is today, which he is still considered a guitar god.

He will be most remembered by those 4 songs and the bad ass solo's he put on them.

I think the real reason he hated NR and Estranged was Axl's piano work, l really think it scared him that it might take away some of his thunder and he really didn't understand piano how to play piano and how it works and for the most part Axl wrote these songs. Yes everyone kicked in a thing or two but they where Axl's babies. I think why the solos are so good on these two songs is the piano work pushed Slash to have a bad ass solo.

So what it boils down too is Slash putting down the songs and video of the trilogy and SCOM that made him what he is today.

Coma was Slashs baby and Slashes work on that song pushed Axl to have some bad ass lyrics and singing still to compete with Slash.

Competition is not a bad thing, alot of times that is when your best comes out.

But in GNR's case they had 2 huge ass egos and if they can't comprise they will and did fall apart. Just take the Rolling Stones and the riff with Kieth and Mick both with huge egos at the time of the split and when they got back together it stated in both of there contracts they did want see each other in the studio. But for the Rolling Stones it was all about money.

Great comment and input :)

I think he does this because he needs to shut down the voices that still talk to him about GNR. HE moved forward. That's what he makes clear every time he has a chance. He's repeated over and over that GNR is his past and he doesn't even consider it a huge thing (in his own world, of course). So in order to not be asked about GNR anymore he has started bashing the popular songs, the "cheesy ones", which coincidentally happened to be written by Axl and are about Axl's romances.

He hates his music has transcended due to these ballads and not Coma, for example.... I understand him and some days I'd prefer Coma all the way over Nov Rain and Don't Cry, but boy, Coma is a heavy shitload and people, normal people, regular people, at the end of a hard day just wanna melt down and listen to a sweet ballad. Sorry Slash :/

I totally agree Coma is better than the ballads, hell I think it is the best song GNR has ever done!!!!

But those of us who get the song and it's personal meaning it brings with it, for me anyway, someone else may get something totally different out of it.

Slash done a great job on the guitar work and Axl equaled it with awesome lyrics and delivery of those lyrics. Again though they 2 huge egos worked together I wish they could had held on to that and GNR would never had broken up. Don't get me wrong I like the new bands but that is the only way you can get GNR, it is what it is.

Slash has always been reluctant about SCOM or Nov Rain, it's not part of moving forwards, more staying true to what he sees as his musical identity/values. He's always been iffy about the ballads and videos and some of Axl's stuff. That's half of it, the other half is he was sort of being held back and in the end the negatives out weighed the positives.

And he's kind of still the same, after a bit of a blip of being more anti-Axl, he ultimately tries to keep it steady. But that's because he's more secure now, after letting Axl take the heat he's built a solid career. So now he wants out of the GNR stuff but keeps slipping up with these comments. Recently he was saying Axl was to thank for SCOM, then how it came about changed to include himself more, he's more on board with the song now. Because he's flip flopping it's hard to say he's not just saying that so he can justify playing it. It's a special song, not many get the same reception. He has iconic solos on it people expect to hear it.

Slash always said he was pretty narrow minded and stubborn about what he liked, he just came up against someone equally as head strong and made some compromises he didn't want to live with. Instead of just saying it, he's trying to be cool about it which is understandable. It's complicated situation.

Slash has to balance the advantage of GNR hits with a more serious hard rock metal image, you want to be separate from it without rejecting a huge part of your popularity.

Axl kind of just ripped the band aid right off, it was painful but quick. If Axl had another Slash type guitarist and was making old school GNR records you'd believe him more that he didn't want to just do a nu metal record. He must have just realized you can't make a hard rock GNR record without Slash, you have to do something different, so it's more of clean break. Slash just wants to do hard rock without the epics and pomp.

I guess they are both trying to prove themselves.

Edited by wasted