Best overproduced UYI song

Charlie Underbite

Which song off of either Use your Illusion album suffers the most from being overproduced? By that I mean, which song would have been better if it had been left alone and stripped away of any excess. My choice is Breakdown. It is a fantastic song but all that additional talking at the end really hurts it. What is your choice?

Almost all of them. I'd say Yesterday though. The acoustic demo was great and the final product was horrendous. The Don't Cry songs sucks as well due to overproduction. I agree with Breakdown, but I'm not sure I'd have liked that one either way. But yeah, it could probably have been a lot better without it all. Another song that comes to mind is Locomotive. Axl is the weak link there with the multiple vocals over each other. Coma too. It should have been half as long and without the doctors' conversation and that cringe worthy Stephanie Seymore ranting.

But yeah, I agree with Mendez. The piano ruins a lot of songs and it doesn't add anything to any songs other than November Rain, Estranged and So Fine.

Almost all of them. I'd say Yesterday though. The acoustic demo was great and the final product was horrendous. The Don't Cry songs sucks as well due to overproduction. I agree with Breakdown, but I'm not sure I'd have liked that one either way. But yeah, it could probably have been a lot better without it all. Another song that comes to mind is Locomotive. Axl is the weak link there with the multiple vocals over each other. Coma too. It should have been half as long and without the doctors' conversation and that cringe worthy Stephanie Seymore ranting.

But yeah, I agree with Mendez. The piano ruins a lot of songs and it doesn't add anything to any songs other than November Rain, Estranged and So Fine.

Yesterdays was probably the least produced song on either UYI. What a weird choice.

I love all the extra vocals and effects in all the songs I love. Locomotive and Coma, especially.

I don't really like Pretty Tied Up at all but I love the slight piano parts in it.

I guess because Guns music has so many elements, it attracts a very wide variety of listeners. I seem to be the opposite of a majority of the hardcore fanbase.

EDIT: One of the most pleasing things about music is listening to a song I've been in love with for a long time and hearing certain buried vocals and other sounds for the first time. I consider them to be easter eggs. The deep "long time" over the TWAT chorus is a good example.

Edited by Amish

The triple-tracked vocals on "Locomotive" are fucking stupid.

Lol anyone who says that they don't like the end quotes of Breakdown is more than likely only saying that cuz Axl said it.

They would have been even cheesier if Duff sang it. "Yeah that made me HAPPPPPPPPEEEAAAAAH!" Edited by EvH

And see it's so weird because the multi track vocals are my favorite part...besides the outro and the actual lyrics themselves. I love it when the multi track vocals kick in.

I don't like the high "harmonies". The low voice track would be awesome by itself.

"Breakdown" is the big one for me. I feel like it's a really good song at its core that got ruined by some really bad decisions.

"Coma" could do without the doctor conversation and ranting like mentioned before.

I don't think any other ones immediately come to mind. I don't mind the piano in the heavier songs, and "Pretty Tied Up" is one of my favorite GNR songs.

There are two major overproduction problems in UYI:

1. Axl's overwrought cheesy vocal quirks, from the Chester cheetah thing to the idiotic speeches to the flanged multi tracking.

2. Dizzy and his plink-plonk saloon olde time western piano. It's childish and just doesn't fit; it's like having a mentally retarded monkey smear his own excrement all over a freshly painted Rembrandt.

• Like 1

I like the keys in bad obsession the most. The two songs I never thought translated well when finished were don't cry and heavens door. After hearing incredible versions of both on live boots for a few years before, I was disappointed. I don't have much of a problem with the rest. It was the right album(s) at the right time. Yeah it's over produced but that's all part of the times. Dont listen to it much anymore. Or any of them tbo. When I listen to guns it's usually live shit throughout the years.