Post pictures of random stuff you've bought recently

Budweiser

2344_p46541.jpg

Fender Greasebucket

For my current guitar project.

A set of brand new Fender Texas Special Telecaster pickups.

Tele_Texas_Special.jpg

Model: 0992121000

For this guitar.

_c808179_image_0.jpg

This guitar is not a Fender, but it is quality.

Hand built in Surrey, this Stratocaster/Telecaster actually has an acoustic guitar profile neck. The materials used; The wood, the mother of pearl in the fret inlays (which is just fancy) and the nut made out of bone make this guitar sound better unplugged to record with (when recording in front of a microphone) than any acoustic guitar I have. - That being said, this guitar is old, and the electronics half work - which technically makes this guitar broken!

I'm keeping the knobs and switch head... I'm having a red torturous shell scratch plate made to replace that wooden one... - This guitar as it stands has two 'mystery/unknown to me or my guitar guy' stacked 'single coil sized' humbuckers, and two extra switches, one that splits them, and another mystery/unknown to me or my guitar guy switch, that no one knows does... I'm doing away with both of them because as things stand right now; I am not a fan of splitting humbuckers for single coil sounds....

The reason I'm choosing Fender, for 2 reasons... It's 'trying to be a Fender' it's a Strat style with Tele style electronics... So going down the Fender route just seems apt for this guitar...

As a starting off point... I figure, treat it like a Fender Custom Shop guitar, and if at all for any reason down the line, I can always have the pickups changed.

The second reason... In my experience/history of doing this I have had/used pickups from.

Seymour Duncan (APH-1s and the Dimebucker Dimebag Darrell Signature SH-13)

Rio Grande (BBQ Bucker) (Diamond Plate :D)

Di Marzio (Area 57s and an X2N) (All of them I had in blue)

EMG (The Zakk Wylde Signature Set)

and a vintage pickup that Bare Knuckle rewound/potted/waxed - rebuilt for me (so I just call it a Bare Knuckle).

^So this will actually be my first time dealing with Fender pickups, and I must admit, I am a little curious and want to take this guitar down that Telecaster way, before changing them...

I've tried and tested pickups before and have found Seymour Duncans just sound better/best, for me... So if I ever decide to do away with the Fenders... I can so easily see myself going Seymour Duncan, as that's like a safe bet with me and tone 'if things don't work out to plan with the Fender pickups'.

Estimate time for job: 3 weeks.

To make it sound like this.

]

I've specified that I want all new electronic components to be true of a Fender Custom Shop model, from the jack to the pots to the switch that I want.

I wanted to repair this guitar, and did wonder if I was going down the right road in doing that, with all this money, then literally last Friday night I learned of a Greasebucket capacitor, and that just saved the day, I wasn't planning in falling in love this project, but that Greasebucket may have just done it.

I finally paid for it today, made the last payment, and have this guitar back.

All in all it cost me £232 for everything (pickups, greasebucket circuit, new scratchplate and man hours).

100_04511_zpseweqttf7.jpg

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

Scratchplate?

• Like 1

''Hand built in Surrey'', ehh?

Yeah, I bought the guitar for £45 in Cash Converters in West Croydon used in 2008 and it only had 1 strap button on it anyway, so I took across town to my guitar guy @ Feline Guitars, and right away he recognised the guitar, and said it was built by a friend of his in Surrey who doesn't make guitars anymore due to health reasons, diabetes robbed his sight - a man named Doug.

Asked me how much I paid for it, and I said, and he said it was a great buy and the guitar was worth more around the £450 mark, I paid like £24 for the Jim Dunlop Strap Lock System that I use/chrome on this guitar as well as fitting them too.

I remember the day Obama got sworn into office, because that day I either collected or booked it in (probably collected through) from Feline Guitars because as great as this guitar is, it was used and did have major fret ware issues which did make it so you couldn't really play the guitar/use it to perform or record etc... So I had that fixed, brandnew frets, I think a little' chunky'ier than stock because it came out of the Feline custom shop?.. for £120.

It had a wooden scratchplate, which, tbh, I want another one, and maybe wood, like the first one.

But it had 2 that I found out yesterday, Kent Armstrong stacked humbucker hot rails or tele pickups...

and it had coil tapping going on but it didn't work with one switch and another switch that - not even my guitar guy knew what it did. . . and due to a wiring fault it turned out to be, only the neck pickup really worked, the bridge pickup worked when it wanted to, which is as good as not working at all/couldn't use it. For £232 I had that fixed. I've been seeing this a hybrid;

Stratocaster body style, Telecaster type electronics, and to top it off, this guitar really does have an acoustic guitar neck profile. It's awesome!

Have thought about getting a Fishman Power Bridge, so... This guitar isn't finished yet.

As it is, unplugged, best sounding guitar to record with, because of the wood. - This guitar has a nut made out of bone and has real mother of pearl in the fret inlays... And was built in Surrey by a guy named Doug who doesn't build guitars anymore.

Edited by Snake-Pit

I must have spent way too long thinking 'Strat/Tele copy' that I wanted, for my own kicks I guess, wanted something from Fender in this guitar, and I've had a lot of pickups made by a lot of people, but not Fender, nothing against them, it just never happened, so I wanted to try that too.

.. I don't hate it, and, Seymour Duncan have bailed me out still in the past, but nothing I've heard from them pickups wise for tele has wowed me yet, so am tempted to get those Kent Armstrong pickups put in again, and I realised how much I love toggle switches... I mean... I knew it was my preference anyway, and I've never really had a telecaster anyway, so went with it. But... Now I want this £180 Fishman power bridge. (TBH, I never knew it came in tele until posting these posts... I googled it to source it's name and found out they have something THAT CAN be done to this guitar/that I want). and... Sure... The Texas Special Fender Custom Shop for Tele are okay :D... But... Am tempted to get those Kent Armstrong pickups put in (might keep the Greasebucket capacitor) and get a toggle put on, which I feel, would really fix something. - Never had a tortoise shell style scratchplate either and given the bay where the switch goes with the volume and tone knobs is actually bigger than that thin slither of chrome?/thing on a Telecaster, matching that on this guitar would mean going for a scratchplate called 'mirror', and would stick out like a sore thumb, but since Fender Telecasters do have tortoise shell style scratch plates too plus never actually having a guitar with one, I went for that option with these electronics; But, I did like it's 1st blonde wooden one, so, have one to match that made for my toggle switch and Fishman switch, would finish this guitar. :D:lol:

It's all good, and as things stand, I have a wicked cool telecaster in my collection, and who knows, I may even leave this guitar as it is and see how it records against my other guitars that are also wicked cool. :)

:)

Always on the look out for that tone so, I am listening around for passive telecaster pickup tones though, but so far I like what I've got. :)

Edited by Snake-Pit

I love rats, but Guinea Pigs make me nervous.

Relally, why?

Me and my brother had a hamster each when I was a kid called Basil and Manuel. Left them in a cage together and came down the next day to see Manuel had bitten Basils ear off.

And the two sows I got last week turned out to be two young boars, so they went from being Charlotte and Morgan to being Jerry and Layne :rofl-lol:

I am TERRIFIED of rats and mice!

2344_p46541.jpg

Fender Greasebucket

Tele_Texas_Special.jpg

For this guitar.

_c808179_image_0.jpg

Hand built in Surrey, this Stratocaster/Telecaster actually has an acoustic guitar profile neck. The materials used; The wood, the mother of pearl in the fret inlays (which is just fancy) and the nut made out of bone make this guitar sound better unplugged to record with (when recording in front of a microphone) than any acoustic guitar I have. - That being said, this guitar is old, and the electronics half work - which technically makes this guitar broken!

I'm keeping the knobs and switch head... I'm having a red torturous shell scratch plate made to replace that wooden one... - This guitar as it stands has two 'mystery/unknown to me or my guitar guy' stacked 'single coil sized' humbuckers, and two extra switches, one that splits them, and another mystery/unknown to me or my guitar guy switch, that no one knows does... I'm doing away with both of them because as things stand right now; I am not a fan of splitting humbuckers for single coil sounds....

The reason I'm choosing Fender, for 2 reasons... It's 'trying to be a Fender' it's a Strat style with Tele style electronics... So going down the Fender route just seems apt for this guitar...

As a starting off point... I figure, treat it like a Fender Custom Shop guitar, and if at all for any reason down the line, I can always have the pickups changed.

The second reason... In my experience/history of doing this I have had/used pickups from.

and a vintage pickup that Bare Knuckle rewound/potted/waxed - rebuilt for me (so I just call it a Bare Knuckle).

^So this will actually be my first time dealing with Fender pickups, and I must admit, I am a little curious and want to take this guitar down that Telecaster way, before changing them...

I've tried and tested pickups before and have found Seymour Duncans just sound better/best, for me... So if I ever decide to do away with the Fenders... I can so easily see myself going Seymour Duncan, as that's like a safe bet with me and tone 'if things don't work out to plan with the Fender pickups'.

]

I've specified that I want all new electronic components to be true of a Fender Custom Shop model, from the jack to the pots to the switch that I want.

I wanted to repair this guitar, and did wonder if I was going down the right road in doing that, with all this money, then literally last Friday night I learned of a Greasebucket capacitor, and that just saved the day, I wasn't planning in falling in love this project, but that Greasebucket may have just done it.

All in all it cost me £232 for everything (pickups, greasebucket circuit, new scratchplate and man hours).

How's it play, Snakes?

• Like 1

Did that thing have the latest polyphonic ring tones and a spiffy VGA camera?

No, just monophonic ringtones and no camera on my model. I love it and am sort of sad I've moved on. I bought the iPhone as I have an iPad from work which I'll have to return soon.

I am TERRIFIED of rats and mice!

2344_p46541.jpg

Fender Greasebucket

Tele_Texas_Special.jpg

For this guitar.

_c808179_image_0.jpg

]

How's it play, Snakes?

I want a toggle switch to replace the selector switch and I want to have the Kent Armstrong stack tele hot rail pickups put in (again); and I want to try a £200 Fishman Powerbridge for tele on this guitar because of it's existing telecaster bridge and pickup setup and acoustic guitar neck profile; have a separate mini switch for that mounted on an all new wooden scratch to mimic the one it had on before, but instead have a toggle switch for the Kent Armstrong pickups.

It's a heavy acoustic guitar that also happens to be a solid body electric guitar that also just happens to be a tele/strat hybrid in the best possible way.

That's why I think a Fishman Powerbridge would be perfect or this guitar.

Edited by Snake-Pit