Axl's gift to DJ.

The problem I have with this is simple. I don't have a problem with Axl giving gifts of whatever to whoever, but Donna Joe Ashba couldn't even be bothered to clarify in his post that he had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of this record. A simple line similar to "proud to be carrying on the legacy." Or anything remotely similar would have sufficed.

Why are you calling him Donna? Are you frustrated with your own life or something and need to make fun of others to help with your own issues?

:facepalm:

The problem I have with this is simple. I don't have a problem with Axl giving gifts of whatever to whoever, but Donna Joe Ashba couldn't even be bothered to clarify in his post that he had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of this record. A simple line similar to "proud to be carrying on the legacy." Or anything remotely similar would have sufficed.

Why are you calling him Donna? Are you frustrated with your own life or something and need to make fun of others to help with your own issues?
:facepalm:
For a teacher you're quite the bully.
  • Like 1

K... A little context is needed.

Assuming this an official gold album award, it would have been issued by the RIAA. Album sales plaques not produced by record labels or the artists, but by the industry association that's responsible for tracking sales and protecting rights holders.

They're also awarded to individuals or companies that were involved in the album's creation. Each award includes the name/person of who it's been awarded to. Generally, they're fairly liberal about who receives one, especially on albums that involve a lot of people.

This means that anyone who has a songwriting credit or is included in the liner notes received their own award in their name. Yes, this means Bumble, Frank, Brain, Buckethead, Fortus, Tommy, Dizzy, Freese, and anyone else who contributed to the album would have received theirs years ago when the album went gold. DJ is only getting one now because Axl gave him one (who knows, perhaps Axl requested one be made that's dedicated to DJ, or perhaps he just gave an extra one he had on hand but it wouldn't include DJ's name).

People need to calm down about these sorts of things. Didn't get the sense that DJ was bragging, more along the lines that he was appreciative of the gift Axl gave him.

EDIT: On closer inspection, it looks like DJ's name is on the award. Guess Axl did some lobbying on DJ's behalf.

What?

How can you do that though, include somebody's name on an award for something they did not do? Maybe Axl is on to something here? Fuck it: England, just pay FIFA and get your name on the World Cup. We are crap at the sport so the only way we are going to win the thing is by lying and getting our wallets out.

I can see the logic behind it, although I can't say I don't find it odd.

Maybe Axl thinks DJ has helped with the selling of copies of CD by touring and promoting GNR after it came out and therefore gave him this gift because of that?

But still, it is odd getting an award for an album that came out before he was in the band.

Edited by WhazUp

I can see the logic behind it, although I can't say I don't find it odd.

Maybe Axl thinks DJ has helped with the selling of copies of CD by touring and promoting GNR after it came out and therefore gave him this gift because of that?

Except if it's an award for the US, Best Buy did that. And that happened well before DJ.

FFS, Axl should send Slash et al a signed copy since no one would have given half a shit about CD if it weren't for them.

Edited by magisme

Makes about as much sense. He's played more AFD than CD. How much has AFD sold since DJ joined the band? Whatever it is, he deserves the credit. He's put in the work.

Serious question here. Why do you care so much about a guitarist that you don't care about getting an award for an album that you don't care about?

• Like 1

While Dj didn't write a single note for CD, he still deserves this.
He was part of the band that toured following the albums release. There were people who went to see the show who had never heard CD and heard a song like Better, TWAT, CITR, TIL, etc and decided to buy the CD because they liked the way it sounded live. Dj has just as much to do with the sales of CD as Bumblefoot, Robin, or anyone else who was around during the CD era.
I get why Dj get's hate, he's the new guy in the band. That said though I don't think he's a bad guitarist... I don't think he's the greatest one to be in GnR, that would be buckethead IMO, I don't think he's the best one in the band now, but he's not bad by any means. I'm sure once an album drops with the current lineup or whatever lineup comes next, Dj will get a lot more respect around the forums.

I never understood why people complained when Robin and Dj came, but not when Bumblefoot came. Bumblefoot's good, but he was nothing but a guitar teacher before GnR.... Dj Ashba and Robin were both experienced musicians.

Christ almighty. :lol:

It doesn't mean anything more than a thank you from Axl. I've watched cribs (remember that show) and people non related to records have gold records on their wall which were gifted to them by the artist as a thank you or for whatever reason. At the end of the day Dj wasn't on the record and he knows that, we know it... so who really cares. I don't have much time for Dj but this is fine, he might be suggesting he's sold 1million records and everything but that's just his deal, he's a show-boater/attention seeker. As long as the band members who actually played on the record have plaques I see no real harm in Dj having his... he is in the band and he did represent (badly) the album live for the past 6 years.

Makes about as much sense. He's played more AFD than CD. How much has AFD sold since DJ joined the band? Whatever it is, he deserves the credit. He's put in the work.

Serious question here. Why do you care so much about a guitarist that you don't care about getting an award for an album that you don't care about?

I don't care that much. Unfortunately, DJ is in GNR and I just enjoy shooting the shit about anything related to GNR. So I wouldn't even say I don't care about DJ or the album. I don't particularly like either one, but that's a different thing.

If you have anything more interesting to talk about re GNR in 2015 please make a thread about it. I'll happily post in there. :lol:

• Like 1

He was part of the band that toured following the albums release. There were people who went to see the show who had never heard CD and heard a song like Better, TWAT, CITR, TIL, etc and decided to buy the CD because they liked the way it sounded live. Dj has just as much to do with the sales of CD as Bumblefoot, Robin, or anyone else who was around during the CD era.

I get why Dj get's hate, he's the new guy in the band. That said though I don't think he's a bad guitarist... I don't think he's the greatest one to be in GnR, that would be buckethead IMO, I don't think he's the best one in the band now, but he's not bad by any means. I'm sure once an album drops with the current lineup or whatever lineup comes next, Dj will get a lot more respect around the forums.

I never understood why people complained when Robin and Dj came, but not when Bumblefoot came. Bumblefoot's good, but he was nothing but a guitar teacher before GnR.... Dj Ashba and Robin were both experienced musicians.

Some people really know how to twist facts :D "Nothing but a guitar teacher before GnR" I suppose we won't mention all those solo albums/tours that wouldn't help your argument. People didn't complain about bumble because he's ridiculously talented and he brought a pretty heavy rock/punk vibe back to the GnR live sound... Dj has just as much to do with the sales of CD as Bumblefoot, Robin, or anyone else who was around during the CD era. sorry but that's just pure mental logic, Robin wrote a ton of the songs, and Ron played on almost all of the songs... Dj literally had nothing to do with the creation of the record... yes he helped promote it but that's all, let's not get carried away! after all the majority of the 3/4 million sales were made before the band even played one show in 2009.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

NGOGO

I don't care that much. Unfortunately, DJ is in GNR and I just enjoy shooting the shit about anything related to GNR. So I wouldn't even say I don't care about DJ or the album. I don't particularly like either one, but that's a different thing.

If you have anything more interesting to talk about re GNR in 2015 please make a thread about it. I'll happily post in there. :lol:

Well, I want to see if anybody else feels that Slash would look good in a yamaka since Downzy won't let me discuss it in the 'Axl's bald' thread, so I've been mulling over starting a thread about that. Other than that I have nothing.

Well, I want to see if anybody else feels that Slash would look good in a yamaka since Downzy won't let me discuss it in the 'Axl's bald' thread, so I've been mulling over starting a thread about that. Other than that I have nothing.

He would not look good. And it wouldn't be the yarmulke's fault.

He would not look good. And it wouldn't be the yarmulke's fault.

I think he would look great because how could he not with all 53 hairs jutting out randomly around the circle? But we probably shouldn't discuss this here.

Edited by Damn_Smooth