Axl's gift to DJ.

As I said, if this was any other artist you would give him the benefit of the doubt but this is DJ Ashba we are talking about. Knowing him, he probably now believes he played on the thing. He is certainly selling that and the other albums he has played on such as Appetite and Illusion via his website. He is, need I remind you, a member of ''GUNS N' ROSES'', ''The Most Dangerous Band In The World'' (this is written on his website).

Keep in mind that the RIAA hands out a lot of these plaques. Here's what it says on the RIAA site with respect to who gets an award: "RIAA does not limit the amount of plaques a music label or artist can create nor do we say how many plaques were produced (if any) for a particular project. Our role is to certify the title, and then the recipients are free to purchase authorized plaques from RIAA approved, licensed framing companies." In other words, anyone can get an award, so long as they had something to do with the album in a manner that's up to the artist. Having done some recording at one of Canada's premier recording studies (Metalworks), I've seen awards bestowed to catering and chauffeur companies.

Alright. So this a complete non event. Hashtagging 1million or whatever he did was kinda lolworthy but whatevs.

I wouldn't say it's a non-event, as it's somewhat of a GNR news item. Worthy of a conversation for sure, but disparaging comments derived from a lack of understanding about these awards in general aren't necessary.

Actually, one thing I find interesting about all of this is that Axl signed the award. That's more in-line of what an artist would do for a fan or someone who had little to do with the album (like an A&R guy at the record label). Not something you'd normally see on artist do for his peer or counterpart (I highly doubt Axl's signature is present on any of Slash's RIAA awards for Appetite or UYI).

I guess it makes the award worth more if DJ ever found himself in the unfortunate position where he'd have to hawk it :P

As I said, if this was any other artist you would give him the benefit of the doubt but this is DJ Ashba we are talking about. Knowing him, he probably now believes he played on the thing. He is certainly selling that and the other albums he has played on such as Appetite and Illusion via his website. He is, need I remind you, a member of ''GUNS N' ROSES'', ''The Most Dangerous Band In The World'' (this is written on his website).

Well, your assumptions are on you. Look, I'm not here to defend DJ in all respects, but suggesting that as a result of receiving this award he now believes he contributed to the recording of Chinese Democracy is absurd.

Like I said before, his "persona" isn't for everyone, but having talked to him in person (granted, only for a few minutes), I feel fairly confident in saying that he's not the kind of monster-douche that people make him out to be.

I guess it makes the award worth more if DJ ever found himself in the unfortunate position where he'd have to hawk it :P

Except it says DJ on it too. Automatically worthless. :lol:

LOL, well, okay, that's debatable. Perhaps there are not that many people at this forum who would pay top dollar, but I'm sure there are others out there that would forgo a vacation or two to own a piece of "history."

Well, your assumptions are on you. Look, I'm not here to defend DJ in all respects, but suggesting that as a result of receiving this award he now believes he contributed to the recording of Chinese Democracy is absurd.

Like I said before, his "persona" isn't for everyone, but having talked to him in person (granted, only for a few minutes), I feel fairly confident in saying that he's not the kind of monster-douche that people make him out to be.

Just look at his ice bucket video. Most other people just got it over with. This guy turned it into a massive dick extension, for his crib. He simply had, to throw himself in his pool after doing it! The guy is a consistent self-publicist and is as fake as a tranny's vagina.

I wouldn't say it's a non-event, as it's somewhat of a GNR news item. Worthy of a conversation for sure, but disparaging comments derived from a lack of understanding about these awards in general aren't necessary.

I have a Michael Jackson Invincible one ( not sure if I should admit that ), so I know that they aren't necessarily reserved as some sort of rare award of the highest order, but it's still just an odd gift. I'm being a bit facetious with all of the retroactive credit stuff but with DJ you honestly never know. The guy obviously isn't going to be the first to jump up and clarify that he didn't play on the album.

Edited by jbhutto

The guy obviously isn't going to be the first to jump up and clarify that he didn't play on the album.

But at this point, does he really have to? Who out there doesn't know or cares at this point that DJ isn't on the album? Fairly certain that the hardcore faithful are well-aware of who's on the album and who isn't. And DJ's fans (i.e., the ones who are following him on twitter) likely know he joined the band after the album's release.

I'd also like to point out that artists often have a public persona and a private persona, and they're not one in the same. Look at Axl; completely different guy off-stage or being interviewed than when he's performing (though, I'd argue that the difference is growing smaller as he gets older).

And often times, artists can't control their public persona. This happened with the lead singer of my old band. Really cool, modest, and interesting guy when we weren't on stage, but whenever he attempted to speak between songs or interact with the crowd my skin would crawl. He'd even develop this British accent for some reason. I tried talking to him about it but there wasn't much he or I could do about it; it was sort of a reflex that he didn't have much control over.

Not saying that DJ falls into this camp, but let's remember that the person we often see on stage or in interviews isn't necessarily indicative of who that person is.

Thanks for clearing that up, downzy.

Everyone seems pretty calm to me, though. :shrugs:

I'm not going to suggest that all criticisms of DJ are unfair, because lord knows his persona isn't for everyone.

But it's getting a little tiring and predictable that anything DJ does instantly becomes fodder for disdain and ridicule.

I like to think we take it on a case by case basis. :lol:

I wouldn't read too much in to this.

I have a platinum record award from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra hanging on my living room wall (presented to me / my name on it), and I definitely don't remember playing on that album! :lol:

I'm sure that DJ was presented one solely for his live contributions, if nothing else.

EDIT: To clarify, I interviewed Paul O' Neill from the TSO on the radio, and he had one made up for me and sent to me. So, this is a total non-story.

Edited by The Real McCoy

The problem I have with this is simple. I don't have a problem with Axl giving gifts of whatever to whoever, but Donna Joe Ashba couldn't even be bothered to clarify in his post that he had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of this record. A simple line similar to "proud to be carrying on the legacy." Or anything remotely similar would have sufficed.

Why are you calling him Donna? Are you frustrated with your own life or something and need to make fun of others to help with your own issues?

Why are you defending DJ? He doesn't need your white knighting....

(keep in mind that i'm actually see nothing really wrong with this topic, so i'm not bashing DJ, just YOU for being incredibly lolworthy!)

Cool story bro

I think the only cringeworthy part is DJ needing to instagram his picture and comment out to the world. Why not keep that "moment" private?

Axl probably gets tired of all the people that try and profit off his legacy. DJ doesn't need to broadcast that Axl gave him a present. Why not just be happy about it and keep it a special and private moment between friends?

I see nothing wrong with the giving of the gift. A thank you for his five years of service. Cool.

But no need to make a private moment into a public spectical. Bit of an abuse of a friendship.

But you know how kids are today. Posting things on FB, twitter, etc seems to be more important than experiencing the actual event they are sharing.

• Like 1

But you know how kids are today.

Dude, he's 42 years old. 42. And you talk like he has enough class to keep anything private. No. He's a walking, talking commercial. His first thought after receiving it was probably: "fuck, must get this shit on instagram ASAP. Will make me look even cooler yeah!"

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1