Rush Announce R40 Live 40th Anniversary Tour [SPOILERS]

Powerage5

I wasn't even remotely that optimistic after watching/hearing the SiriusXM interview. To me, it sounded like Geddy wants to continue, but really knows it's all over.

Agreed. The article I posted includes a video from that SiriusXM interview of this moment. What was surprising to me is reading it I assumed Geddy was alone. Talking about how he clearly wants to but no one can agree. Was interesting to see Alex was there too, so thats 2/3 of the band and apparently they can't tell you what's going on. It does seem like Geddy really loved it (and that was clear at the shows that by all accounts he stood out as being superhuman in singing, playing and jumping around more than ever. He was clearly having a ball), Alex is ambivalent but probably would, and Neil is no. Still can't tell whether Alex is saying he would do more stuff just to avoid saying he's like Neil and also doesn't or he actually means it. Seemed odd for Ged to kind of pin the whole thing on Neil, especially when they all seemed clear it was a band decision last year to probably stop. Now it seems like none of them are on the same page.

sounds like all the huff and puff similar to the end of the allman brothers touring, its not like all the members wanted to stop but they kinda had to, geddy obviously loves playing and recording music and its a huge part of his life, he needs to find some ways to focus his energies, maybe he'll make another solo album...

I'm fairly convinced that they're done touring. I think they'll make another album at some point, and maybe perform a short stint (maybe a week of shows) after it comes out. But I think all major touring is now over. It's sad, but it's completely understandable. They sure as hell didn't go out with a whimper.

• Like 1

Damn, if they are done then R40 was a hell of a sendoff

I picked up the Bluray/Cd set today

What do you think of it so far? The discussion on the Blu Ray has basically been a circle jerk of my thoughts so far :lol:

I'm fairly convinced that they're done touring. I think they'll make another album at some point, and maybe perform a short stint (maybe a week of shows) after it comes out. But I think all major touring is now over. It's sad, but it's completely understandable. They sure as hell didn't go out with a whimper.

I don't believe we've seen the last Rush show ever. But I'd be surprised to see even ten more shows for the rest of their career.

• Like 1

I still need to pick it up. :(

However, on the other topic, I remain optimistic for shows in some form. Maybe the residency idea would be nice followed by a final farewell in Toronto. I think I mentioned before that the beauty of a residency is that could play shorter shows (easier on Neil and Alex) while still covering a lot of material over a few nights instead of a single three hour show.

I really hope for some more shows at some point. Honestly, I think I plan to see every show from now until the end of their career, wherever they are (Assuming there isn't another major tour). I had too much fun doing a bunch of gigs this year, and I know they're a band that'll leave a hole in my heart when they finally call it a day. It's not as fun as following Maiden around, but it was was great seeing them so much. I seem to love Rush more the more times I see them live - they never cease to amaze me.

If there's only one song I want to hear live that I haven't, it's gotta be The Enemy Within. I've really been getting into Grace Under Pressure lately - it used to be one of my least favorite Rush albums, and now it's one of my favorites. That first verse of The Enemy Within may be my favorite lyrics Neil ever wrote.

The Grace Under Pressue Live album and DVD are excellent too. Paper thin production but those are really great versions of those songs. Certainly a transitional period for the band and I can see why longtime fans got turned off, but I love that material.

There's some great energy on the GUP live album. Break-neck renditions of Spirit Of Radio, YYZ, and 2112. Plus the entire Fear trilogy, in order :awesomeface:

The Grace Under Pressue Live album and DVD are excellent too. Paper thin production but those are really great versions of those songs. Certainly a transitional period for the band and I can see why longtime fans got turned off, but I love that material.

There's some great energy on the GUP live album. Break-neck renditions of Spirit Of Radio, YYZ, and 2112. Plus the entire Fear trilogy, in order :awesomeface:

that little mash up of yyz, 2112, and tom sawyer is pretty cool too

Saw this trending on fb, wasn't sure if it needed it's own thread or not:

http://loudwire.com/rush-neil-peart-suggests-retired/

Unexpectedly expected, I suppose. There's no Rush without Neil so hopefully Geddy and/or Alex still decide to make some music - just call it something else. It's just too bad there's no consensus - poor Geddy is so wanting to continue but alas I can understand Neil completely.

I can't begrudge Neil for being ready to retire, or for the act of retiring itself, but I can't help but feel a little bitter by how he's going about it. First off - he can't even really address the matter directly to his fans, on his website? Why should we find out that he's retired through an offhand comment in a drum magazine? I feel like we, as fans deserve better than that. And I'm not trying to sound entitled here, but it just...doesn't seem professional.

Secondly, I can't help but feel bad for Geddy and Alex. Judging by their interviews lately, particularly Geddy's comments at the SiriusXM Town Hall interview, there's a bit of friction behind the scenes. Geddy sounded particularly sore on the subject of the future of Rush - he sounded completely beaten down. Even listening to the interviews from the hiatus, he didn't sound that bummed out by the situation. Clearly, Geddy wants to continue, Neil doesn't, and Alex is moderate on the issue. Alex kept pounding the point into interviews once the tour started that R40 was not the end of Rush by any means - I believe the exact phrase he used multiple times was "this isn't a 'farewell' tour, this is a 'see you later' tour". He clearly has his own desires to keep playing, since he continually brought up the possibility of residencies. And even as recently as 3 weeks ago, Alex said they'd be reconvening in the new year to see where they want to go from here. Then all of a sudden Neil is saying he's retired? I can't blame Geddy and Alex if they're sore with him. I think, if he wants to retire, he at least owes it to them to really give Rush a proper sendoff, not a fade into the night scenario that we've got. I'm not talking about another large scale tour, but a handful of dates, and bill it as the end.

Basically, I see two distinct scenarios that could be happening here. First - Rush is 100% done, they will never play together again, and Alex and Geddy are bitter that Neil is absolute in his stance. Second - Neil is semi retired, and his comments got blown way the fuck out of proportion. There's good evidence to support both those scenarios.

I mean, its sad to see it written and just out there so plainly. That would hurt any fan.

But seriously, this couldn't have been more of a farewell tour. And done the right way without playing that card. In fairness to Neil, it was ALL they talked about before this tour. They basically said "its a farewell tour in all but name", which I think its respectable because you are marketing it as one, but not putting it in big letters at the show, not putting it on the ticket. You are saying it plainly, while trying to be as positive as possible. Then the tour starts and I guess it really invigorated Alex and Geddy, because thats when they kept saying how much they loved it. And thats fine, but I'm assuming you had the discussion beforehand that this was the end. Can't blame Neil if he didn't budge. It was essentially what you said was happening.

I know no one's blaming anyone. I know where Powerage is coming from and I agree with what he's saying. But really, the writing was on the wall for a farewell. This was essentially the end and we all knew it. Absolutely what they wanted was to "fade into the night" after the "proper sendoff" that R40 was. Fading into the night IS how you retire with grace. You go away naturally, not making any promises never to come back, but just... not coming back. Or leaving it open. So much better than the Stones or the Who saying its done, having their sendoff, then coming back. I don't know. Like I said, its sad to say it spelled out like that, and sure I feel for Geddy who seemed to really want more, but it was clear as day that this was it, or at least that was the plan. Neil stuck to it. There's always the possibility there's new music. He thought it was over after his daughter and wife then came back. Him being "retired" doesn't mean they don't put out a new single in 5 years. But if they don't... well... thats essentially what I expected this past summer. This was goodbye and anyone really caught off guard by this in any way seemed to forget the whole lead up to this tour.

• Like 1