2015 Grammy Awards

Silent Jay

Just because you're around for it doesn't mean you're around for it.

:lol:

But it does mean i bought the albums, it does mean i listened to him, I mean he wasn't exactly fucking invisible, he was producing for the biggest rap artist of the day, exactly who is it that you think Kanye is, some kind of underground stalwart? :lol: And you were the one riding me for not knowing what I'm talking about? :lol:

And y'know what else? You could scroll back ten years on this forum and find posts where i was saying he was shit even then.

When you decide that rap is one thing and one thing only, it doesn't matter how much time you spend listening to new things that you've already decided you hate based on it not being true to the roots.

Same goes for old school rock fans (inb4groghan)

The world loves Kanye West's music. The hip hop community (read: hip hop community, not the old school hip hop community of bitter 40 year olds who grew up with Run DMC and Flava Flav) loves him. You don't. Good for you.

He's going to go down as one of the most influential, relevant and legendary (which is a subjective term that doesn't really mean anything concrete anyway) artists in hip hop.

Edited by bacardimayne

I don't really know what you're getting at when you proclaim hip hop to be dead. Like what does that even mean? It's a bullshit sentence that translates to "I'm upset that rap does not sound like it did 20 years ago." Going on yelling that it's dead doesn't state or change anything, i mean maybe it would if most people actually wanted rap to have stayed the same, but they clearly didn't. Now you're just stuck with this traditionalist attitude, and what does that accomplish? What has it ever accomplished?

What does it mean, well, when a musical genre ceases to progress in any substantial way and simultaeneously loses touch with what made it sick in the first place, then it's dying or dead.

How diversity equates to being better...how does staying true to the "original, authentic" form of the genre equate to being better? How can you possibly argue against eruptions of new sounds and ideas in hip hop? It happens in every genre and for a good reason - the then-current sounds start to get stale and shitty.

How about you answer the question? As far as authenticity and why its better, well better than what? Something thats fake? Or a knock off? Well if you need me to answer that then you need help.

Tell me, what new sounds and ideas are erupting in hip hop, come on, blow my mind, lets hear it.

Maybe if all you're listening to is radio rap. And I'm not saying that you have to go digging deep into underground rap to find interesting shit, I'm just saying most of the rap that finds its' way onto the radio falls into that "simple homogenized sound" because that's just the kind of sound the radio needs. There's radio mainstream where you have your Lil Waynes and Drakes and Big Seans and they can basically all rap over the same beats, deal with the same subject matter, and target the same audiences, and then there's a level below of it where there's just tons of cool shit going on. Chief Keef and the entire modern Chicago drill scene sound totally different from like, Father's alternative scene in Atlanta, which sounds totally different from Young Thug's Atlanta trap scene, which sounds totally different from ASAP Rocky, which sounds totally different from Kendrick Lamar's group (Schoolboy Q, Ab Soul..), all of which sound totally different from the more "musical" hip hop artists like Travis Scott and Kanye West. I'm just trying to illustrate how many different sounds and scenes are within the musical landscape of hip hop right now, most of the differentiation being production and image-based, I'll give you that most of them are rapping about the same kinds of shit, but I mean when was that not happening really?

You realise every last rapper you mentioned there is pretty mainstream right? And you haven't stated anything thats different about em, just that they're 'different'. As far as when were rappers not talking about the same kinda shit, ummmmm, well, try always until now. Brand Nubian were talking the same shit as NWA? EPMD were talking the same shit as KRS One? Tupac was talking the same shit as Raekwon? Afrika Bambaataa were talking the same shit as The Juice Crew?

I think you might have a point about those two artists as well as some others but I mean, obviously any rapper is going to maybe sound like one that came before him, just like a band will probably draw a lot of influences from those that preceded it.

Hip Hop was never like that. In fact the way you got on in hip hop was being different from the other person before you.

I don't know what you mean by politically correct, I mean, just because modern rappers aren't involved with black panthers or some shit doesn't diminish the quality of their music or any creativity put into it.

I mean patronising good boy got milk moral of the story bullshit like you hear on Kendricks album likeeee, whats that song called, the peer pressure one? Way too much of that shit, way too little hardcore.

We are yet to see if that'll turn out true.

Whats that?

I think you're far too fascinated, on a Miser level, in the history of the scene and the culture that which you had no part in, to the point of you not being able to actually appreciate the musicality of it or just enjoy it. I like hip hop because of how it sounds (I thought that's what music was about), it seems like you get something a lot different out of it.

Damn right I'm fascinated. Passionately fascinated. In fact it's probably because i had no part in it that makes it so fascinating. So it's the not being part of it that makes my fascination less worthy, is that what you are getting at? Perhaps thats the difference between the two of us, i'm not just fascinated with how it sounds I'm fascinated with ALL of it. The people, the fashion, the styles, where it came from, what it represents, what it means, in fact I'm fascinated with the grandparents of the people that it came from and their generation and how that informs the shit.

But see thats the difference, hip hop isn't just music it's a culture and people are often kinda precious about things like culture, whether it be people that have felt an affinity by exposure over a long period of time. To put that in context for you a little i started listening to hip hop about 2 years before you were born, sorry if thats an AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE card but I'm attempting to explain the attachment to you.

You like it cuz of just how it sounds, thats cool, well i don't, i like it for a lot of other things besides, is that OK with you? I just love the shit, what can i say. The clothes I'm wearing right now are hip hop clothes, the last 3 movies i watched are like, hip hop generation staples, i was listening to hip hop in my car coming back here, it's more than just music to me. A shitload more.

Perhaps thats why we're never gonna be on the same page with this so maybe it's best left be.

When you decide that rap is one thing and one thing only, it doesn't matter how much time you spend listening to new things that you've already decided you hate based on it not being true to the roots.

And you'd know this of course cuz you can read my fuckin' mind :lol:

The world loves Kanye West's music.

Speak for yourself. It's at this point where you begin to embarass yourself.

The hip hop community (read: hip hop community, not the old school hip hop community of bitter 40 year olds who grew up with Run DMC and Flava Flav) loves him.

No, really, speak for yourself. I like how you've just basically gone and slagged off a massive portion of the hip hop community based on exactly nothing, most of em love Kanye you fuckin' moron, what the fuck are you talking about?!? :lol: This just in folks, the old school hip hop community hates Kanye West! :lol: BTW, old school hip hoppers are more like 50 something ;)

He's going to go down as one of the most influential, relevant and legendary (which is a subjective term that doesn't really mean anything concrete anyway) artists in hip hop.

Welcome to Cardi's Crystal Ball Tent, anything you wanna know, just ask cuz he's got the fuckin' hotline wired, so apparently he knows what I'm thinking, what the whole world and the hip hop community think AND he knows the future of hip hop music. Well done Cardi. Honestly, I don't think I've ever had that much confidence in my foresight.

Edited by Len B'stard

The rap community seems to view Beyonce as the pinnacle of some higher plane of pop music. Queen Bey and all that shit. It's weird but I've noticed it more than a few times.

It's not ever so weird is it, she's the most successful black lady singer of the last 10 years, of course the people of a predominantly black culture are gonna rate her.

Speak for yourself. It's at this point where you begin to embarass yourself.

So what, you think the world isn't infatuated with him? Sure, he's got his fair share of detractors, but he has just as many people who at least appreciate his music and production (which is all I really do, can't stand him much as a person). If you can outright proclaim things like "Kanye West is not a legend, and has no iconic albums or songs" then I can claim the opposite.

No, really, speak for yourself. I like how you've just basically gone and slagged off a massive portion of the hip hop community based on exactly nothing, most of em love Kanye you fuckin' moron, what the fuck are you talking about?!? :lol: This just in folks, the old school hip hop community hates Kanye West! :lol: BTW, old school hip hoppers are more like 50 something ;)

I did not say that the old school hip hop community hates him. Just that most rap fans who do hate him tend to have similar reasoning to you. Either that or they're modern rap hipsters who don't listen to anything that gets on the charts.

Welcome to Cardi's Crystal Ball Tent, anything you wanna know, just ask cuz he's got the fuckin' hotline wired, so apparently he knows what I'm thinking, what the whole world and the hip hop community think AND he knows the future of hip hop music. Well done Cardi. Honestly, I don't think I've ever had that much confidence in my foresight.

Considering his accomplishments so far, and the undeniable influence that his last 3 albums have had on the sound of modern hip hop, I don't think it's that much of a stretch to assume that he'll be revered by the rap community as time goes on.

So what, you think the world isn't infatuated with him? Sure, he's got his fair share of detractors, but he has just as many people who at least appreciate his music and production (which is all I really do, can't stand him much as a person). If you can outright proclaim things like "Kanye West is not a legend, and has no iconic albums or songs" then I can claim the opposite.

No, i know for mathematical certainty that the world isn't infatuated with him. Yes, a great many people like his music but when you start saying things like the world loves him or the worlds infatuated with him you're putting him on like Elvis, MJ, Beatles levels of popularity. Which he just isn't. And the whole world didn't even love them.

And yes i can outright proclaim what i did because it's outright true, I'm sorry but he simply doesn't have any huge songs or albums, he just...does....not. In fact he's come up in an era where record sales are shite in general. There is no way that you can put him that high up, there is nothing to warrant it. I'm not saying there won't be but there isn't yet.

I did not say that the old school hip hop community hates him.
The hip hop community (read: hip hop community, not the old school hip hop community of bitter 40 year olds who grew up with Run DMC and Flava Flav) loves him.

I must've misunderstood.

Considering his accomplishments so far, and the undeniable influence that his last 3 albums have had on the sound of modern hip hop, I don't think it's that much of a stretch to assume that he'll be revered by the rap community as time goes on.

Kind like the way you respect music after time has passed?

I wish someone anyone would kick the shit out of Kanya.

He's definitely against any white artists getting awards yet no one stands up to him.

He said if this keeps up no real artists will come back to the Grammy's. What does he consider "real" artists, just black performers?

And Madonna needs to dress like the 56 year old woman she is. I don't care if you're a size 2, please girl no one wants to see your shit.

I think the industry needs to stop having lame awards shows because I doubt anyone cares anymore. I forgot the show was on. I read about it online today.

• Like 1

I love how the media is spinning Beyonce's loss as some great affront to music and a slight to innovation of music, or whatever the fuck they're on about...Beyonce is good pop, but nothing else. When it comes down to it, she still needs a team of people writing her music and choreographing her dance routines, and the surprise album drop/music video for each song gimmick wasn't even hers either (Death Grips did it almost two months before she did, and after they were photographed hanging out together). I guess I don't understand this cult of hype that surrounds her.

• Like 4

The clothes I'm wearing right now are hip hop clothes,

Jeans too big and pulled below the boxers? Do you have the swagger, the way brothers walk, a bit like John Wayne with the hands sort of, slightly out, and dangling at the side?

From my school experience, all rap people worship Iron Mike Tyson - they even worship him for his disgusting behaviour and tragically one-sided defeats - and regard Tupac's death as akin to the Kennedy Assassination. That is what I remember, from the Vanilla Ice wannabes in my high school. We were the metalheads. (All Slayer and 'Tallica.) There were rappers, technoheads and metallers - the girls were into pop.

In other news, some people don't act like twats.

Annie Clark, aka St. Vincent, shared this letter with her supporters after winning best alternative album:

in 2007, i signed to beggars banquet records. i was living in dallas, texas in my childhood bedroom at the time, which i had fashioned into a makeshift studio in order to record some of what would end up being my debut album “marry me.”

the first days of touring my own songs and as “st. vincent” are very vivid. in early 2007, in anticipation of the release of my record, my (much beloved) agent put me on the road as solo support for jolie holland and midlake. he saw potential in me, but rightfully, thought i needed to get my live act together. get comfortable playing for people. get road-tested. like most of the rest of my career, it was a trial by earth, wind, and fire.
i was performing solo; just my voice, a guitar through an array of effects pedals, a “stomp board” — a homemade device i made out of a piece of plywood and a contact microphone that i ran through a bass EQ pedal, and a keyboard. i thought the keyboard looked unmysterious on it’s own, so i designed a lighted wooden enclosure to go around it. my brother-in-law helped me build it in his garage. it weighed a gazillion pounds and gave me splinters to carry, and i don’t think anyone was under any illusion that there was anything but a keyboard inside it. neither the first nor the last in a series of hilariously ill-fated ideas.
january 2007, i borrowed my father’s station wagon and drove 12 hours from dallas to frozen lincoln, nebraska to open for jolie holland (what a voice) at a half-full 150 capacity carpeted club. i believe the compensation was $250/gig but it could have been as much as $500 — more $ than i’d ever seen for a gig for sure and guaranteed, no less! in my memory, this midwestern jolie tour dovetailed right into opening the midlake tour. they were out in support of their excellent record, “the trials of van occupanther” and were the sweetest good texas boys you could ever hope to meet. the drummer of midlake, mackenzie smith, would later prove to be a great collaborator, playing on actor, strange mercy, and st. vincent.
on this tour, i’d enlisted my dear friend, jamil, to come and sell merch and help do the long drives. we’d just played a show in detroit and while we’d been inside, a blizzard had swept through and covered the stationwagon in snow and ice. it was treacherous. jamil, who always had some incredible hustle going, hired a homeless man named larry to dig the stationwagon out of the snow. (in college, he had a gold lexus, stripped it of the good parts, and resold it. when i asked if he was sad to see it go, he said, “girl, they think they bought a lexus but they bought a corolla.”) i’ll never forget driving out of bombed out-detroit, apocalyptic at 1 AM. interstate 94 tense and quiet, jamil trying to make sure we didn’t crash or stall on the icy road.
i have eaten years of veggie subway sandwiches on highways 10-90, stayed at a super 8 motel behind a kansas federal prison, peed in cups in dressing rooms when there was no bathroom, gotten eaten alive by bedbugs at a cincinnati days inn. i would not trade a single highway or city or moment or person i met for anything. i have loved it all.
i’m very grateful to have received this grammy. thank you to my producer john congleton, thank you family, thank you friends, thank you to all the incredible musicians involved, thank you managers and agents and publishers and labels and publicists and everyone who works hard at their jobs. and thank you guys. thanks for everything.

:wub:

150208-st-vincent-grammy.jpg

• Like 2

The Grammys forgot to acknowledge someone.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/exclusive-little-jimmy-scotts-widow-responds-to-110652160391.html?soc_src=mags&soc_trk=fb&fb_ref=Default

"If I had to say who I thought the best singers were, I'd say first that I don't know there's a definitive answer as in my opinion it's subjective, and second that my focus is primarily rock singers," he told Spin. "That said, I enjoy Freddie Mercury, Elvis Presley, Paul McCartney, [Nazareth singer] Dan McCafferty, Janis Joplin, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Roger Daltrey, Don Henley, Jeff Lynne, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, [jazz singer] Jimmy Scott, Etta James, Fiona Apple, Chrissie Hynde, Stevie Wonder, James Brown and a ton of others (predominantly '70s rock singers) and would rather hear any of them anytime rather than me!" - Axl Rose