New HBO Movie on Scientology - Going Clear

downzy

This should be a good ol' laugh! Why'd you hate em Downzy? I mean I'm not exactly a fan but they've never come off as much more than slightly twittish people that had a bit too much Ray Bradbury in their formative years. i mean I've seen a couple of documentaries, bits of em, they seem a bit heavy handed, always some little weenie trying to out em as some monsters and then they just do a character assassination on em.

Edited by Len B'stard

I'm not a fan of any organized religion, but Scientology strikes me the perfect example to the question, "what happens when you combine religion with money." That, and the forced labour camps, attempts to hurt/kill the careers of those who either leave or expose them, and mostly over the movie Battlefield Earth :P

I guess the word hate is perhaps a bit stronger than I intended, but if Scientology were to vanish from the face of the earth I'd be pretty happy. Though, leaving behind other religions would probably leave me just as happy :)

The basic principles of scientology - that we should find holistic, personalized, perhaps spiritual remedies for our stressors in life etc. - are quite compelling. The foundational mythology would make for a hell of a Ridley Scott movie. The Church itself, as an organization? I could give a shit about what philosophy it claims to represent, the organization is downright fucking evil.

This should be a good ol' laugh! Why'd you hate em Downzy? I mean I'm not exactly a fan but they've never come off as much more than slightly twittish people that had a bit too much Ray Bradbury in their formative years. i mean I've seen a couple of documentaries, bits of em, they seem a bit heavy handed, always some little weenie trying to out em as some monsters and then they just do a character assassination on em.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKIN' hell...so in short, don't fuck with Tom Cruises lot then? :lol:

After seeing John Travolta at the Oscars last night, I think some of the qualifications to being a scientologist is being a pervert and touching as many women as you can in one place. I used to like him a lot especially from the WElcome back Kotter days and Grease and Saturday Night Fever, but he seems to be getting stranger each passing year.

Speaking of which, where was Tom Cruise last night?

• 3 weeks later...

I still love Tom Cruise.

He still makes great movies.

I wonder how they will react to this film or documentary? I thought for sure those guys are competing with the Jews for taking over Hollywood.

Yeah, Tom Cruise is a terrific actor. I think without a script to read from Tom isn't so smart. Anyway, there's supposed to be footage of him in this film. Also I read they review a lot of ex-scientologist and it's creepy what they have to say.

Unfortunately, most religions today are just after your money. Ever since I was a kid going to Catholic School, you always paid for something. I remember this priest Father Dolan coming into the classroom and yelling at kids who forgot to pay their monthly $1. it was crazy. Then the money envelops for Sunday's mass. it's crazy.

Because the churches get make-overs every so often, it's the people who have to pay for it. It's all about money. Jesus would be so proud.

I read the Scientology church tried to get HBO to not show it, so I doubt they're happy about it, but I bet somehow they will benefit from it and make money from it too.

Edited by Val22

Apart from being incredibly historically inaccurate. It was largely a Frenchman, Brunet, who modernised the Japanese army, not an American - meanwhile, the British were building the Japanese Navy. The chronology is also incorrect. Terribly error prone version of Japanese history.

• 3 weeks later...

Really good documentary. I wanted more but it probably would have to be 5 hours long. Hard to believe people buy into this "church". The ex-members interviewed said they were embarrassed they were ever a part of it.