Izzy

Carburetta

I love Izzy as much as the next GnR fan.

But if he was The Man - then why hasn't he been successful without Axl and Slash?

Depends on your definition of success I suppose ^_^

Izzy has no Twitter, no Facebook, no websites, no record label, last toured his solo stuff in 2000 (4 gigs in Japan only), and rarely does the whole press thing. I think his last interview was in 2006 for Tunecore?

Pretty sure Izzy would be more successful in terms of record sales if he did all of the above, but others have said on a few occassions that Izzy doesn't like the machine.

He's probably busy enjoying his life without the extra hassle all of the above would bring :)

I get all that. And I suppose the no touring thing would be a huge part of it.

But in today's world of technology, a great song is going to find an audience. People put crap on youtube and a week later it's gotten 5 million views.

Izzy has released numerous albums. If there was another SCOM or Jungle on them, music fans would discover it.

I'm not down playing the guy's talent at all. He was a key ingredient to why GnR once was the best rock band in the world.

I just wonder if some people go a little overboard when heaping maybe too much credit his way. Without Axl's voice and Slash's guitar work, then Izzy is who we have today. And without GnR.......do any of us on here know who Izzy is? With his lack of willingness to do any promotion at all, he's probably got a normal job and just plays in a band with his buddies. But Axl and Slash have both proved they can be successful without Izzy's help.

I respect your point of view though, thanks for the detailed intelligent ans

Izzy...nuff said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqIUAkYwJL0&list=PLA6577171943BB30E

Edited by pacu44

Izzy Stradlin

Welcome to the Jungle (Izzy)

https://youtu.be/rUSFOxhxtLI?t=11s

Paradise City (Izzy)

https://youtu.be/_mUqKut8yCo?t=41s

Sweet Child o' Mine (Izzy) {I really like this one}

https://youtu.be/ffe_B1hStDA?t=12s

Like A Dog - Izzy Stradlin (Album youtube playlist)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqIUAkYwJL0&list=PLA6577171943BB30E&index=1

Alot of the songs from Like a Dog were going to be Velvet Revolver if he was going to sing, SLASH wanted a diva....

wow this is amazing, sweet child o mine is really interesting, so great to listen to just izzy, even though that is not izzy, it is someone playing like izzy, and wow, izzy rocks :headbang:

Appetite would never have become a reality without Izzy, he was the key to making it work. We have a masterpiece to listen to partly thanks to him.

Guns worked together as a machine, at least for that album. He was just as important as Axl and Slash were.

Edited by Rovim

I love Izzy as much as the next GnR fan.

But if he was The Man - then why hasn't he been successful without Axl and Slash?

Depends on your definition of success I suppose ^_^

Izzy has no Twitter, no Facebook, no websites, no record label, last toured his solo stuff in 2000 (4 gigs in Japan only), and rarely does the whole press thing. I think his last interview was in 2006 for Tunecore?

Pretty sure Izzy would be more successful in terms of record sales if he did all of the above, but others have said on a few occassions that Izzy doesn't like the machine.

He's probably busy enjoying his life without the extra hassle all of the above would bring :)

What this chap says.

Stradlin doesn't care about success as you are qualifying it in terms of sales, exposure, awards, videos. He just likes to put his little albums out there.

• Like 1

And also, I highly doubt that Izzy is hurting for cash. He probably has more money than he knows what to do with. GNR has sold over 100 million albums and the last time I checked AFD still sells 5000 copies every month. He gets royalty cheques steadily rolling into his account for the rest of his life. Set for life. Without all the hassles like Axl has to deal with. Izzy can go out and see a movie or anything else he feels like doing anytime and Axl can't. Unless he's in disguise. I say good for Izzy

• Like 1

I didn't say that izzy cared about any of those things. That's not the point at all. I didn't say he was broke. Or that he wasn't super talented.

The point is that in today's world of technology you don't have to promote your work to be successful. A school girl can post a horrible video on YouTube and a month later it's got 25 million views and she is in Rolling Stone.

If Izzy released a song that was at the same level as SCOM, he wouldn't have to do any promotion at all. If it's on an album, it will be discovered. The minute somebody posted it on YouTube the song would explode.

Izzy's songs needed Axl's voice and Slash's guitar.

Pizza tastes great. Cheese is good on its own Italian sauce is good on its own. Pepperoni is good on its own. But individually none is a dinner. Put them all together and you have a delicious pizza.

Edited by Apollo

None of them have had a hit though. Axl had the full financially resources of interscope and bestbuy yet CD failed to produce a single hit. Slash has done numerous music videos and collaborations yet he has only found success on rock radio stations. Izzy does nothing yet he is not much less successful than either of those two. What is 'success' anyways, and why is it so important? It seems to me that Stradlin is in the best position possible.

• Like 1

None of them have had a hit though. Axl had the full financially resources of interscope and bestbuy yet CD failed to produce a single hit. Slash has done numerous music videos and collaborations yet he has only found success on rock radio stations. Izzy does nothing yet he is not much less successful than either of those two. What is 'success' anyways, and why is it so important? It seems to me that Stradlin is in the best position possible.

TBH, I consider Slither and Fall To Peaces to be a hit. At least the grammy winning Slither.

I understand your point Apollo, but I think there is a world of difference when comparing Izzys music to some random getting 25 million views on Youtube. The million+ videos are usually not unknown musicians/artists - they are cat videos, epic fails, police brutality and pranks. The random Youtubers who fall outside of those categories and manage to pull in high viewing numbers are not one-off uploaders - they are people like Pewdiepie who have devoted their lives to making Youtube videos for the sake of ad revenue, which means spending hours every day posting new videos and comments, building subscribers, engaging with others etc. Can you show me a genuine artist on Youtube with 25 million views who isn't funded by a record label buying the views? There probably are a few out there, but I believe they are few and far between.

Promotion definitely helps, and it's something Izzy has always shied away from. Eg, he did an official music video for Baby Rann in 2012 and it has had 300,000 views on Youtube. Yet "Sweet Caress", considered to be his best solo song by most fans, and released 10 years previous in 2001 has only had 290,000 views - that doesn't have an official video.

Back in 2006 or 2007 a major rock magazine publication approached Izzy requesting to license and publish one of his albums as a free CD on the cover of their magazine (Fire or Miami, I forget which). We're talking direct promotion to hundreds of thousands of rock fans, a.k.a Izzys target audience, yet that never happened. He did a little Q&A with fans online not long after. That says a lot about Izzys motives for releasing music, and how he feels about the business. Probably the same reason he goes "direct to fan" with his music releases instead of dealing with labels to release CD's :)

Who cares how many awards this song hasn't won? Just be greatful you heard it, then laugh about all the shit music which is given "awards" these days ^_^

Edited by downliner
  • Like 1

Sweet Caress is Awesome and by far his best song post guns. Maybe the best song of all gunners

Precisely :headbang: It is awesome, and it deserves more views, but unless someone makes a fan video full of epic cat fail pranks it will go unnoticed by your average Youtuber <_<

• Like 1

Sweet Caress is Awesome and by far his best song post guns. Maybe the best song of all gunners

Precisely :headbang: It is awesome, and it deserves more views, but unless someone makes a fan video full of epic cat fail pranks it will go unnoticed by your average Youtuber <_<

I don't know if it's the missing music video. It just isn't the time for music like this anymore...

TBH, I consider Slither and Fall To Peaces to be a hit. At least the grammy winning Slither.

Yes, on rock radio and VH1. Slash however has produced music videos with big collaborators and has his material done performed commercially better than Izzy's? Marginally perhaps as I recall the Fergie song getting a bit of airplay, but it just goes to show that the difference is minimal. And as for Axl, Better got a bit of air play on rock radio stations but beyond that, CD's impact was negligible.

Izzy might just be the realist one here since he knows the era of commercial win falls (for gnr members) is over.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I didn't say that izzy cared about any of those things. That's not the point at all. I didn't say he was broke. Or that he wasn't super talented.

The point is that in today's world of technology you don't have to promote your work to be successful. A school girl can post a horrible video on YouTube and a month later it's got 25 million views and she is in Rolling Stone.

If Izzy released a song that was at the same level as SCOM, he wouldn't have to do any promotion at all. If it's on an album, it will be discovered. The minute somebody posted it on YouTube the song would explode.

Izzy's songs needed Axl's voice and Slash's guitar.

Pizza tastes great. Cheese is good on its own Italian sauce is good on its own. Pepperoni is good on its own. But individually none is a dinner. Put them all together and you have a delicious pizza.

You do realize AFD needed over a year of heavy promotion and touring along with a dedicated manager calling in favors to break GnR.... Unfortunately it is not just great music, you need to expose millions for millions to buy.... Izzy is disinterested in doing this as a solo act.

RNDTH, DNB, You aint, Bad obsession, DTJ, bad apples, 14 Years, Pretty tied Up, YcBM, Dont Cry all Izzy songs.

Nightrain, OTgM, Brownstone, Think about you. Cords of SCOM are Izzy. Not really sure on Anything goes but it came before Slash joined.

Slash/Axl do the bigger ones like Jungle, PC, Rocket.

Obviously they all worked on the songs and wrote parts etc.

This is just my understanding, but its probably wrong i dont know really.

Does anyone know why there was such a volume drop on some of Izzy's guitar parts on the UYI records? You listen to AFD and it is true dual guitar volume, in fact, Izzy choice of lower gain crunch style distortion fills out the guitars low end perfectly.

Then you listen to DTJ and DAB, there is hardly any guitar on the left channel.

Edited by SoundOfAGun