Was GnR ever invited to Woodstock 94 or SNL?

I would of loved to have seen GNR at Woodstock 94!!

I know the band was having troubles, but that would of been probably bigger then Rock in Rio 1 for them...

I also wondered how come they never made it on to SNL during the UYI era. It would of been coold to have seen them play two songs and maybe do a few skits with Wayne's World...

• Like 1

I don't know. And they didn't play Rock in Rio 1. They played 2, 3, 4 and Lisbon 2. They were gonna play Lisbon 1, on 2004, but Buckethead's departure made'em cancel it.

I know they were gonna play Woodstock 1999 and Rock Am Ring 2001. There's even a poster featuring Guns N' Roses as one of the headliners:

LfDj7.jpg

Edited by ManetsBR

I think they were gunna play Woodstock 99. According to the rumor mill, people thought there was going to be a "huge" band that played after RHCP on the main stage Sunday night to close the festival, even though through out the weekend it became apparent RHCP was the band that was gunna close out the festival, people still believed the Foo Fighters and or Aerosmith (two bands that dropped off the bill late) would show up and rock there faces off. Another name that was tossed around was GNR.

Almost every performance from Woodstock 99 was recorded, and if GNR would have played, it probably would have been one of the best live recorded bootlegs from that era.

Unfortunately, this was as far as GNR got in that mayhem known as Woodstock 99'

Edited by KeyserSoze

I would of preffered Woodstock 94 with the UYI lineup!! But Woodstock 99 would of been huge is werll!!

What about back in the day. I remember seing Nirvana 2 times, and was thinking, it would of been so cool for them to play 2 songs and do skits, like Axl in court, The band joining Wayne s World... lol

• Like 1

Woodstock 99 would've been an interesting band.

Axl hadn't been seen in years, OMG was a new song. We would've had a band of Josh Freese, Gary Sunshine, Paul, Tommy, Dizzy, Pitman, and Axl. I'm guessing the reason they didn't play was because Robin was out at the time.

I loved the 2001/2002 lineup, but it would've been cool to see the lineup that created OMG and the early perform together. There's an interview from 1999 with Kurt Loder (I think) where he asks Axl if there's an plans to get the band out in time for new years and Axl just answers by going "NAH! NAH! NAHNAHNAHNAH!" which almost makes it seem like they planned to but he couldn't confirm yet.

Axl's plans back then just seemed to fall apart. Imagine how much different CD and the band history could've been if CD was released in 1999 or 2002..... We might be talking today about the release of CD 5 or 6, whether Finck or Sunshine were better, or whether "Soul Monster" or "The General" was a better song.... If the album was released in 1999, we may never have had Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Brain, Dj, Or Frank in the band. If it was released in 2002 we might still have Buckethead, Brain, and Robin....

But, it's easy to imagine what "could've" happened when we don't know the whole story.... It would've been nice to see Axl come back from years of silence and be on top of the music industry again though.

I whole-heartedly agree on that one liers.

According to a Rolling Stone online article dated April 2nd, 1999 (almost 4 months before the festival) GNR wouldn't be playing, according to a "source" due to the fact that they "wouldn't have an album out by the time of the festival" (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/woodstock-99-line-up-takes-shape-19990402)

• Like 1

Well, I'm glad you brought this up. I think we are due for another Wayne's World movie and what better storyline to go a long with it than Wayne and Garth undertaking the task of reuniting GnR!?

I would of loved to have seen GNR at Woodstock 94!!

I know the band was having troubles, but that would of been probably bigger then Rock in Rio 1 for them...

I also wondered how come they never made it on to SNL during the UYI era. It would of been coold to have seen them play two songs and maybe do a few skits with Wayne's World...

I used to have the Wayne's World book that came out before the movie, it had all these top ten lists and fantasies that Wayne and Garth had in it...anyway, one of them was "The Guns N Roses Comedy Hour" which had the description of (something very close to) a late night show featuring the unique and whacky humour of GNR members.

edit: I think they were being sarcastic

Edited by DR DOOM

I dint know about the Woodstock 1999, but Rock Am Ring 2001 was cancelled cause of bucket, they could have just hired another guitarist to fill in, But Axl looks for an opportunity to delay and not show up and then blame it on others

They wouldnt have played Woodstock 1994 cause I guess everyone was tired of touring, they toured for 2 to 3 years, so they dint wanted to do another tour or show, Axl dint wanted to do UYI Tour in the first place

MTV unplugged with the Classic line up or illusions line up would have been amazing and I imagine it would be one of the best live recorded performances like the Ritz, for SNL thing wouldn't have worked out cause Axl wont even show up in the first place

Edited by Slash787

I dint know about the Woodstock 1999, but Rock Am Ring 2001 was cancelled cause of bucket, they could have just hired another guitarist to fill in, But Axl looks for an opportunity to delay and not show up and then blame it on others

Doing a big show like Rock AM Ring without Bucket would've been a bad idea IMO.

Axl was trying to promote the new lineup, and Buckethead was a key player.... If they did a big show and had a fill in, that would've made the band seem more like a revolving door of musicians instead of a band. Not to mention, Axl had to replace Slash with someone better, and that person was Buckethead. New GnR had to be better than the old lineup, more recognizable, and better musicians, and Buckethead was the key to that.

Not to say Slash is bad, I'm not saying that at all. But Buckethead vs Slash, I'd say Buckethead is a better overall musician.

Axl was trying to promote the new lineup, and Buckethead was a key player.... If they did a big show and had a fill in, that would've made the band seem more like a revolving door of musicians instead of a band. Not to mention, Axl had to replace Slash with someone better, and that person was Buckethead. New GnR had to be better than the old lineup, more recognizable, and better musicians, and Buckethead was the key to that.

Not to say Slash is bad, I'm not saying that at all. But Buckethead vs Slash, I'd say Buckethead is a better overall musician.

A better guitarist on a technical level. But a better fit for GNR? No way dude

Well Axl eventually replaced Bucket with Ron, I know ur not saying anything bad about Slash, but it makes no sense to compare them, Im a fan of bucket and i really like his work, he is an amazing musician, but Slash is good too and both of them are good in their own ways and have their own styles, When you see Guns N' Roses as a band, then only Slash comes in my mind as he contributed to the band, but well when i Listen to Shacklers or the new stuff then bucket does comes in my mind cause he did an amazing job, its sad bucket is no more in the band, It would be better if Axl just changes the name of the band

A better guitarist on a technical level. But a better fit for GNR? No way dude

If Axl had got 2 or 3 albums out with Bucket on lead he COULD have been a better fit for THAT GnR. After all, while Bucket can play Slash's leads competently, Slash could never play Bucket's. If things had panned out as we were told, presumably at least half of the setlist would have consisted of post-'94 material then, and this incarnation of the band could have been what we were promised it would be - a progression and a new era with a nod to the past. Instead we get a fucked up messy nostalgia act that's going nowhere and is indeed a pale imitator of former glories.

Yes, classic Guns ended when Slash left. New Guns, almost inarguably ended when Bucket left.

• Like 1

Always thought the MTV Unplugged show was a missed chance. Could have been cool. SNL as well.

MTV Unplugged would have been nice.

I think they would have fit in much better at Woodstock 99 rather than 94.

Woodstock 1994 was billed as three more days of peace and music. Promoters brought in big acts and attracted over 300,000 people. Guns N'Roses was invited to appear but declined, saying the show was "too commercial." But SLASH managed to be there!

Paul Rodgers put a band together including SLASH, Neal Schon, Andy Fraser, and Jason Bonham. They rocked Woodstock! The video producers chose one song from each band, and for the Rodgers band, they chose "The Hunter".

http://www.snakepit.org/discvid.html

Also, this quote from Marc Canter:

5) Between 1994 and 1996, were there ever any "one-off" performances talked about or planned?

5)nothing that I know about other then an offer to play Woodstock 94

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/190814-a-few-more-mid-90s-questions/?hl=woodstock#entry3172367

• Like 1

I was at Woodstock 94, Mudstock is what it was...

Alice in Chains was supposed to play, but Layne Staley was in rehab, they had to cancel touring that whole summer.

Duff's Illness made Woodstock 94 impossible, at that point the band was barely speaking, Slash was about to do the snakepit stuff. They put out their swan song that fall, Sympathy for the Devil.

Slash "Thats the sound of a band breaking up right there...."

Woodstock 1994 was billed as three more days of peace and music. Promoters brought in big acts and attracted over 300,000 people. Guns N'Roses was invited to appear but declined, saying the show was "too commercial." But SLASH managed to be there!

Paul Rodgers put a band together including SLASH, Neal Schon, Andy Fraser, and Jason Bonham. They rocked Woodstock!

That they did.

• Like 1