Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

It is kind of funny how all the Mission Impossible movies have the same plot elements. Rogue agent, arms dealers. This one is called Rogue Nation. But each film is so different though.

Another thing these Mission movies (and most spy movies) have in common; lame Euro-trash villains.

Seriously, I liked the movie, but the bad-guy is so cookie-cutter. Another rouge agent with a vendetta against his government.

Not great, not terrible. Rebecca Ferguson stole the show, IMO. There's something very Golden Age of Hollywood about her, a quality I don't think I can recall in an actress since Catherine Zeta Jones broke through.

Can't stand Catherine Zeta Jones. Nothing against her as an actress but I dated a fucking psycho a few years back who was the spitting image of her. Soooo not worth it. *shudders*

Not great, not terrible. Rebecca Ferguson stole the show, IMO. There's something very Golden Age of Hollywood about her, a quality I don't think I can recall in an actress since Catherine Zeta Jones broke through.

What were your thoughts on Ghost Protocol?

I barely remember it. I looked up the trailer to refresh my memory and it wasn't especially helpful. I like the first and third (although it has issues, Philly is the best). I have the same problem with the Fast and Furious franchise, I generally enjoy them but they tend to evaporate as soon as I've left the theatre.

What were your thoughts on Ghost Protocol?

I barely remember it. I looked up the trailer to refresh my memory and it wasn't especially helpful. I like the first and third (although it has issues, Philly is the best). I have the same problem with the Fast and Furious franchise, I generally enjoy them but they tend to evaporate as soon as I've left the theatre.

Get out of here :max:

They are all the same movie with different style. I am probably the only person who thought the third one sucked. I actually liked the second one better than the third. Still dated but no more dated than the first one.

PSH at least stand out as a villain, however, whoever write the dialog needs to be shot.

This was pretty epic, and although I still have a strange affinity for the third movie, this was probably the best one -- I liked how it felt like a traditional spy film and they're also finally building upon the characters in a way they never did in the early movies. It seems like a decided move to continue the franchise post-Ghost Protocol rather than completely reinvent it with each sequel as they used to, and I loved having Ving Rhames back and Renner was somehow given less to do here yet was way better than in Ghost Protocol.

Ferguson was amazing.

Ended up seeing it today. Easily the best one so far. The writing was top notch and the suspense was ever present - moreso than any of the films so far. The way everything interconnects just blows your mind. Tom Cruise hasn't aged a day either. I'm happy they're continuing with this particular cast of characters so here's hoping there will be a few more of these.

Im interested bcos people are saying best so far. I never enjoyed them other than Ghost Protocol. I tried to like the John Woo one but fall asleep if plot is complicated.

On Tom? Work ethic isnt really. Hitler worked hard too. Hes just a great actor. He might just be playing himself but he brings star power and presence. Hes kind of a tool but hard to dislike. He cray yo.

Tom is a very charismatic leading man, so his charisma makes up for any shortcomings as an actor. That said, I do think he's a good actor and I enjoy his films without taking into account how crazy he is.

I guess me and Georgy were wrong about the slow start - $121 Million over the weekend. I've heard nothing but good things about it so I think this will be a bit like Jurassic World in the sense that people will keep going based on average moviegoers praising the film. That's not to say I think it'll make $1.5 Billion but it'll do very well.

I found it incredibly disappointing compared to the awesomeness of Ghost Protocol. We already saw the opening action scene in the trailer, and then it's a good hour of bad dialogue and acting until the film finally picks up again in Morocco. Rebecca Ferguson's character also wasn't nearly as interesting as Paula Patton's.

I found it incredibly disappointing compared to the awesomeness of Ghost Protocol. We already saw the opening action scene in the trailer, and then it's a good hour of bad dialogue and acting until the film finally picks up again in Morocco. Rebecca Ferguson's character also wasn't nearly as interesting as Paula Patton's.

Disagree strongly with all of this. Ferguson was way better than Patton, and I thought the movie had a totally relentless energy. A good hour of bad dialogue and acting? What the hell were you watching? Did you miss the entire Vienna Opera House sequence?

It wasn't a masterpiece or anything but it was a solidly-constructed, nonstop thrill ride (not to sound like Earl Dittman or anything) and I can't imagine anyone saying they felt it was slow or boring, of all things. :lol:

Disagree strongly with all of this. Ferguson was way better than Patton, and I thought the movie had a totally relentless energy. A good hour of bad dialogue and acting? What the hell were you watching? Did you miss the entire Vienna Opera House sequence?

It wasn't a masterpiece or anything but it was a solidly-constructed, nonstop thrill ride (not to sound like Earl Dittman or anything) and I can't imagine anyone saying they felt it was slow or boring, of all things. :lol:

Yes, the good hour of bad dialogue and acting from Renner and Baldwin. I feel badly for Renner being completely neutered in this film and left to do literally nothing but stand around and look busy in a suit. The opera scene did not live up to online hype for me and seemed devoid of dramatic tension unlike the set pieces of the other flicks in the series. Now that I think about it, this film also lacked the humor of the earlier films and had easily the worst villain in the series thus far.

Yes, the good hour of bad dialogue and acting from Renner and Baldwin. I feel badly for Renner being completely neutered in this film and left to do literally nothing but stand around and look busy in a suit. The opera scene did not live up to online hype for me and seemed devoid of dramatic tension unlike the set pieces of the other flicks in the series. Now that I think about it, this film also lacked the humor of the earlier films and had easily the worst villain in the series thus far.

This is so strange - I felt like this movie was filled with humour (the older films lacked humour, especially MI2, which is stone-faced serious despite the absurdity of it all). I also felt like Renner and Baldwin had great chemistry, and Renner in particular made a great impression (despite having less screen time) than he did in Ghost Protocol, where he just didn't have much to do. Relegating him to the "command center" figure worked for me on a dramatic level, and I think it brought out strengths in his performance. When he finally reunites with the whole gang midway through the movie, I thought this, too, carried more dramatic weight because to be honest, I didn't expect him to get back into the field and figured due to filming Avengers he didn't have as much time in his schedule for this film.

I guess I just absolutely disagree with every single thing you've said, it's almost like you're going out of your way to be contrary to what seems obvious, but if that's how you really feel then I guess that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I can agree with him about the villain to a certain extent. Aside from his squeaky voice he wasn't a memorable presence, but all the same I feel like that the film handled that appropriately by not making him a physical villain. He clearly isn't a physical threat to Ethan (despite being a past agent) so it's not handled that way. Unlike, say, the third film where Ethan gets his ass handed to him by Hoffman when it doesn't appear that way at all considering all the ass-kicking we're used to from Ethan.

Otherwise I'm with EstrangedReality all the way, but to each their own!

I would somewhat agree about the villain. Hoffman remains the most interesting and intimidating villain in the series. I still have a huge soft spot for the third film, I think it's vastly underrated and he was a really worthy foe which was what I felt Ghost Protocol lacked despite being perhaps a better crafted film. I don't know why it didn't bother me with Rogue Nation but the lack of a truly memorable villain just wasn't a huge deal.

Looks like a Chinese production company was involved in the filming. They have a tiny role for actress Zhang Jingchu. No doubt to pander to the Chinese audiences. Doesn't even need to do much, lonely single Chinese men will pay to see her.

Tom is a very charismatic leading man, so his charisma makes up for any shortcomings as an actor. That said, I do think he's a good actor and I enjoy his films without taking into account how crazy he is.

I guess me and Georgy were wrong about the slow start - $121 Million over the weekend. I've heard nothing but good things about it so I think this will be a bit like Jurassic World in the sense that people will keep going based on average moviegoers praising the film. That's not to say I think it'll make $1.5 Billion but it'll do very well.

Paramount can finally breathe a sign of relief after the bomb that was Terminator.

It is a rather slow start. Only $55 million last weekend, this weekend $29 million but it already broke $100 million, and as long as the film gets good reviews and word of mouth people will go see it.

Really good movie, way better than Ghost Protocol, Tom Cruise was awesome as usual, does anyone knows what Sunglasses he was wearing where he and Benji are in Morocco walking towards that girl's house, they seem Armani to me.

Ghost Protocol was very overhyped and it had too many things, but this movie was simple and amazing.

Film was partly set in Casablanca and someone on reddit pointed out she looks like Ingrid Bergman, think it was a conscious decision. Though instead of quoting Casablanca she seemed to quote Lawrence of Arabia at one point ("It's only a matter of going."):

Still haven't seen Ghost Protocol. Didn't care for III. I saw the second one about 20 times because my uncle had a pirate VCD of it at my grandparents' in Tehran, I loved that film as a kid, haven't seen it in over a decade. This one was good, I just didn't like how the villain took the Joker route of being two steps ahead all the time (Skyfall did the same thing, though at least Rogue Nation didn't copy the villain getting imprisoned on purpose schtick). Worth seeing. People kept getting up to use the loo in my cinema (toilets were at the front), some lady got up and knocked over a glass during the silent bit at the restaurant towards the end :/