The Star Wars Battlefront Thread

Jesus Christ, what does this game have?

No iron sights, no class system, 5 (two are deserts) planets (I don't care how many maps, 4 planets sucks), no space, no AT-ATs, no prequel content, no campaign, and only 40 players

"BUT OMG WE LURVE STAR WARS! LOOK! WE WASTED TIME VISITING LOCATIONS IN REAL LIFE FOR THE GRAPHICS!" -Dice and EA

Big fuckin' deal, who cares if everything is exactly like the movies in terms of details. I couldn't give a shit if they have the AT-ST's screws depicted perfectly. If that's where they put all their energy as opposed to content, fuck them.

Seriously, 40 players sucks too. Battlefield is 60+, Planetside is 1000+. There is no reason a game focused on large scale battles should only be 40 playes

As long as people buy it, they'll keep up this practice. Target audience is easily impressed by flashy graphics (I remember being a preteen/teenager who was wowed by graphics before everything else), so that's what they focus on. Budgets are out of hand but they can't sell $100 game, so they sell you it in piecemeal instead through DLC.

• 1 month later...

Graphics look great, but they couldn't just stick to the original game play of middle-of-the-screen 3rd person. Instead, first person as well as over the shoulder, left side of the screen 3rd person (Uncharted style). Ugh.

I think you could change the camera in Battlefront 2 to be fair.

Still didn't think it could be first person? I can't remember.

Regardless.

Yeah I'm fairly sure it could, but I don't think I ever really used it. This does look good, but I still can't get the fact there's only four planets and no single player. No campaign I could live with, but I don't get the impression I can play offline at all.

• Like 1

Not sure what to think of this game yet. I do love Star Wars, but I don't know...

Just give me another Jedi Knight game.

Yes. I remember when Force Unleashed was being developed, but it hadn't been announced yet. Rumor was it that it was going to be the next Jedi Knight series game, instead we got that BS. I never even bought it.

I played Outcast for a bit, but avidly played Academy for many years, running clans, joining clans, running servers, etc..

• Like 1

Not sure what to think of this game yet. I do love Star Wars, but I don't know...

Just give me another Jedi Knight game.

Yes. I remember when Force Unleashed was being developed, but it hadn't been announced yet. Rumor was it that it was going to be the next Jedi Knight series game, instead we got that BS. I never even bought it.

I played Outcast for a bit, but avidly played Academy for many years, running clans, joining clans, running servers, etc..

I played Outcast religiously. That, and Academy, were the last Star Wars games of their kind. I miss those kinds of games. It was a big deal to get force powers and your lightsaber in those stories. The Force Unleashed was just a waste.

• Like 1

Jedi Outcast was one of my favourite games.

npc spawn reborn

The multiplayer put me off online gaming for a while, though...

At first it was all fun, lightsaber duels were awesome, and I downloaded a shit ton of mods and skins and levels (had LOTR characters like Aragorn running around Mines of Moria with lightsabre-Anduril).

Then in one deathmatch a Jedi started "humping" a giant Yoda who said "FUCK ME LIKE THE WOOKIE I AM."

Then in a duel a Reborn crouched and started going backwards and forwards into Lando's crotch, the latter responding with a punch in the air and a "YEEEHHHAAWW!"

It would be years before I played games online again.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got the beta preloaded.

Open beta starts Friday, ends Monday. I'll actually be out of town Friday night - Sunday night, but hope to get some time in. For PC, the DL is about 11GB, think it's a bit smaller for consoles.

Coincidentally got home early from work, noticed the beta has gone live early! For PC at least. I played a solid hour and a half:

- 20 vs. 20 is plenty fine, for the Hoth map at least.

- There do not appear to be player classes, but there is some character customization that can make your character better suited for certain things.

- Beta gives you access to two maps/modes, one on Sullust which is basically conquest from Battlefield, 8 vs 8, sort of fun, infantry only, but nothing amazing.

- The main attraction is the "rush" mode on Hoth, 20 vs 20, vehicles/walkers/turrets. A lot of fun to be honest. Ship driving will take practice. The objectives/mode works really well, credit to DICE, the gameplay moves smoothly and is fun. Destroying an AT-ST with a rocket launcher is a euphoric feeling.

- Looks very good, wasn't expecting crazy level GFX, but it certainly is one of the better looking FPS out there, which makes sense because it's brand new.

- I ran everything on Ultra, even though it suggested High for me. Not 1 hiccup, very impressed, hope it stays that way for release, as the last two Battlefield releases were a mess.

There appears to be a total of 8-9 maps (or modes? sort of unclear), Hoth and Sullust being the only two available for beta testing. There's a lot of stuff we won't know until a full release version is playable. Though I don't know how extensive closed demos have been, or statements/summaries from DICE, as I haven't followed it closely. The game plays sort of like a combination of Battlefield/CoD.

I'll edit if I think of anymore/find anything else out.

Overall, I think I'd buy this - may not preorder, and definitely won't get the bullshit deluxe version.

I've got the beta preloaded.

Open beta starts Friday, ends Monday. I'll actually be out of town Friday night - Sunday night, but hope to get some time in. For PC, the DL is about 11GB, think it's a bit smaller for consoles.

Coincidentally got home early from work, noticed the beta has gone live early! For PC at least. I played a solid hour and a half:

- 20 vs. 20 is plenty fine, for the Hoth map at least.

- There do not appear to be player classes, but there is some character customization that can make your character better suited for certain things.

- Beta gives you access to two maps/modes, one on Sullust which is basically conquest from Battlefield, 8 vs 8, sort of fun, infantry only, but nothing amazing.

- The main attraction is the "rush" mode on Hoth, 20 vs 20, vehicles/walkers/turrets. A lot of fun to be honest. Ship driving will take practice. The objectives/mode works really well, credit to DICE, the gameplay moves smoothly and is fun. Destroying an AT-ST with a rocket launcher is a euphoric feeling.

- Looks very good, wasn't expecting crazy level GFX, but it certainly is one of the better looking FPS out there, which makes sense because it's brand new.

- I ran everything on Ultra, even though it suggested High for me. Not 1 hiccup, very impressed, hope it stays that way for release, as the last two Battlefield releases were a mess.

There appears to be a total of 8-9 maps (or modes? sort of unclear), Hoth and Sullust being the only two available for beta testing. There's a lot of stuff we won't know until a full release version is playable. Though I don't know how extensive closed demos have been, or statements/summaries from DICE, as I haven't followed it closely. The game plays sort of like a combination of Battlefield/CoD.

I'll edit if I think of anymore/find anything else out.

Overall, I think I'd buy this - may not preorder, and definitely won't get the bullshit deluxe version.

No one else is playing this?

i watched a friend play it for a little bit,graphics are beautiful it ran smooth and it looked fun but im not a star wars fan so im not sure if i will get into this or not since im not sure how long the fun would stick for me. balance seemed kind of off in one mode(walker assault i think) it always seemed lopsided, either you were kicking ass or getting your ass kicked. also thought i saw a couple of hackers as well, but it seems these things could be easily fixed.

i watched a friend play it for a little bit,graphics are beautiful it ran smooth and it looked fun but im not a star wars fan so im not sure if i will get into this or not since im not sure how long the fun would stick for me. balance seemed kind of off in one mode(walker assault i think) it always seemed lopsided, either you were kicking ass or getting your ass kicked. also thought i saw a couple of hackers as well, but it seems these things could be easily fixed.

Yes it is very very difficult for Rebels to win on Walker Assault. It can happen, but it's very tough. There's also an issue with vehicle spawning, for some reason you can't control the vehicle for about 5 seconds when spawning, but others can shoot you...... those are the two biggest issues IMO, from beta at least.

Is this on 360?

No idea.

• 1 month later...

I jumped on the beta for the last day and played for a couple of hours. It was fun, don't know if I'll buy it unless it's on sale though.

I ended up renting it. Had a blast earlier today and I'm gonna play more tonight too. Really glad I didn't buy it as well though. I can see it being fun for a few days, then quickly becoming stale.