Kurt Cobain Mocks Missing GNR Tour

The fact that Cobain lumped Axl in as a typical, boorish, hair-metal singer with no brains and nothing to say says more about him than it does about Axl.

I appreciate the man's talent but, aside from his supposedly debilitating stomach pains which can't be ignored for their contribution to his demise, I think his general demeanor, attitude, outlook, comments, interviews and Journal etc are a fucking joke. He was a pathetic little runt-bitch of a man and I would take any of Axl's early 90's RS, Spin or HP interviews over everything Cobain ever said in public. In fact, i'd take Axl's letter to Widodo and CD booklet essay over it too. Axl Rose has more fucking balls and is more of a man than that simpering pussy could ever have been. When I see emo-ish teenagers today hanging their hair in their faces, scuffing their battered Converse, hands in pockets, staring at the ground with their Nirvana hoodie on I just want to shake them up say "It's time to grow up and stop listening to that whiny punk. Your girlfriend dumped you? Here, listen to something by a real man. These are called Estranged and Locomotive."

Personally, I would take Twat over the whole Cobain catalogue.

I like Kurt as an artist, but I think your point is valid nonetheless. Its like Cobain was afraid to be genuinely passionate about something. His music was marked by a skewered sarcasm that I believe was more a defense mechanism guised as a false sense of intellectual and moral superiority. There is a sense of detachment in his music whereas Axl is far more straightforward. Its like that recent Slash quote- "Axl is Axl all the time" so its such that an attack on his art is an attack on his person and vice versa. Axl is fully committed and lays it all on the line...and not necessarily on time or in rhyme. Its the perfect crime.

Exactly. I just feel that, stomach problems aside, sure he felt isolated, alienated, depressed and lonely and many teenagers struggle with that stuff and feeling that most people and mainstream society are alien to them, but instead of eventually growing up and dealing with life on his own terms like a man, he was still basically a 27-year-old teenager.

I think it speaks volumes that the only people you see wearing Nirvana or Cobain shirts are teens and early 20-somethings who usually look like outcast, lonely misfits to at least some degree.

I couldn't give a toss about arguments regarding who was more influential or about grunge killing off 80s rock or whatever the fuck: I just think that, for all his faults, Axl is a more interesting and worthwhile human being and artist than Cobain.

Interestingly, his daughter recently spoke publicly at length about him for the first time and seemed quite nonchalant and detached about his legacy. She said she appreciates and likes some of his songs but would much rather listen to other things including Oasis.

Now that's more interesting to me because, although Noel Gallagher's lyrics are more often than not just rhyming nonsense, what I really like is the fact that he came from a shitty as fuck background, growing up in Thatcher's Britain where he and all his brothers, uncles, cousins and dad would all have to queue in rainy Manchester at the dole office and out of his pretty miserable experience as a kid and teen he wrote Live Forever and Masterplan etc.

I used to mope around listening to Lithium and Teen Spirit when I was 15 whimpering because nobody understood me. These days i'd take Live Forever any day.

And that reminds me of Morrissey: the biggest lonely, misfit outcast of them all and as opposed to the defensive sarcasm of Cobain he would deal in real wit and humor. Girlfriend In A Coma, lol.

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 1

The fact that Cobain lumped Axl in as a typical, boorish, hair-metal singer with no brains and nothing to say says more about him than it does about Axl.

I appreciate the man's talent but, aside from his supposedly debilitating stomach pains which can't be ignored for their contribution to his demise, I think his general demeanor, attitude, outlook, comments, interviews and Journal etc are a fucking joke. He was a pathetic little runt-bitch of a man and I would take any of Axl's early 90's RS, Spin or HP interviews over everything Cobain ever said in public. In fact, i'd take Axl's letter to Widodo and CD booklet essay over it too. Axl Rose has more fucking balls and is more of a man than that simpering pussy could ever have been. When I see emo-ish teenagers today hanging their hair in their faces, scuffing their battered Converse, hands in pockets, staring at the ground with their Nirvana hoodie on I just want to shake them up say "It's time to grow up and stop listening to that whiny punk. Your girlfriend dumped you? Here, listen to something by a real man. These are called Estranged and Locomotive."

Personally, I would take Twat over the whole Cobain catalogue.

I like Kurt as an artist, but I think your point is valid nonetheless. Its like Cobain was afraid to be genuinely passionate about something. His music was marked by a skewered sarcasm that I believe was more a defense mechanism guised as a false sense of intellectual and moral superiority. There is a sense of detachment in his music whereas Axl is far more straightforward. Its like that recent Slash quote- "Axl is Axl all the time" so its such that an attack on his art is an attack on his person and vice versa. Axl is fully committed and lays it all on the line...and not necessarily on time or in rhyme. Its the perfect crime.

Exactly. I just feel that, stomach problems aside, sure he felt isolated, alienated, depressed and lonely and many teenagers struggle with that stuff and feeling that most people and mainstream society are alien to them, but instead of eventually growing up and dealing with life on his own terms like a man, he was still basically a 27-year-old teenager.

I think it speaks volumes that the only people you see wearing Nirvana or Cobain shirts are teens and early 20-somethings who usually look like outcast, lonely misfits to at least some degree.

I couldn't give a toss about arguments regarding who was more influential or about grunge killing off 80s rock or whatever the fuck: I just think that, for all his faults, Axl is a more interesting and worthwhile human being and artist than Cobain.

Interestingly, his daughter recently spoke publicly at length about him for the first time and seemed quite nonchalant and detached about his legacy. She said she appreciates and likes some of his songs but would much rather listen to other things including Oasis.

Now that's more interesting to me because, although Noel Gallagher's lyrics are more often than not just rhyming nonsense, what I really like is the fact that he came from a shitty as fuck background, growing up in Thatcher's Britain where he and all his brothers, uncles, cousins and dad would all have to queue in rainy Manchester at the dole office and out of his pretty miserable experience as a kid and teen he wrote Live Forever and Masterplan etc.

I used to mope around listening to Lithium and Teen Spirit when I was 15 whimpering because nobody understood me. These days i'd take Live Forever any day.

And that reminds me of Morrissey: the biggest lonely, misfit outcast of them all and as opposed to the defensive sarcasm of Cobain he would deal in real wit and humor. Girlfriend In A Coma, lol.

Morrisey is another guy that seems like Morrisey all the time.

Morrissey comments on Axl, Oasis and Kurt Cobain all in one interview.

Axl Rose once wrote a song...

Nobody's interested.

... called "Get In The Ring", in which he invited his detractors to sort it out pugilistically. Does that appeal to you?

No. I've got better things to do... like planting bulbs.

What do you think of Oasis?

I've always liked them. I think they're very amusing and very Mancunian and the best Manchester group since... (shrugs smilingly). But I do wish the singer wasn't so put out. "Do I really have to sing this next verse?" He could always go back to being a painter and decorator in Burnage. I read a comment supposedly by me in Club International where I called them boring electricians, words which have never left my lips. So they've slagged me off, of course, they have to, but I like them. Noel's very funny. Very runt of the litter. You can tell that he'd run off with the fillings in his grandmother's teeth but that doesn't mean he doesn't love her.

What did Kurt Cobain's suicide mean to you?

I felt sad and I felt envious. He had the courage to do it. I admire people who self-destruct and that's not a new comment for me. They are taking control. They're refusing to continue with unhappiness, which shows tremendous self-will. It must be very frightening to sit down and look at your watch and think, 'In 30 minutes I will not be here.' Thinking, 'I'm going to go on that strange journey.' Modern life is very pressurising. We're all on the verge of hysteria. There are people around who'll shoot your head off because you forgot to indicate.

Morrissey comments on Axl, Oasis and Kurt Cobain all in one interview.
Axl Rose once wrote a song...
Nobody's interested.
... called "Get In The Ring", in which he invited his detractors to sort it out pugilistically. Does that appeal to you?
No. I've got better things to do... like planting bulbs.
What do you think of Oasis?
I've always liked them. I think they're very amusing and very Mancunian and the best Manchester group since... (shrugs smilingly). But I do wish the singer wasn't so put out. "Do I really have to sing this next verse?" He could always go back to being a painter and decorator in Burnage. I read a comment supposedly by me in Club International where I called them boring electricians, words which have never left my lips. So they've slagged me off, of course, they have to, but I like them. Noel's very funny. Very runt of the litter. You can tell that he'd run off with the fillings in his grandmother's teeth but that doesn't mean he doesn't love her.
What did Kurt Cobain's suicide mean to you?
I felt sad and I felt envious. He had the courage to do it. I admire people who self-destruct and that's not a new comment for me. They are taking control. They're refusing to continue with unhappiness, which shows tremendous self-will. It must be very frightening to sit down and look at your watch and think, 'In 30 minutes I will not be here.' Thinking, 'I'm going to go on that strange journey.' Modern life is very pressurising. We're all on the verge of hysteria. There are people around who'll shoot your head off because you forgot to indicate.

God i LOVE Morrissey :lol: Someone get my mate Towelie in here!

• Like 1

Not sure Kurt was a 27 year old teenager. He was 27 and counter-culture/alternative lifestyle. Most people back away early from this choice. Maybe some kids are into the art but in the end they get a job in the call centre. There's nothing juvenile about In Utero. It's serious shit.

Even Nevermind is not immature, teen spirit is not like yeah rebellion.

I think the two would've got on well if Kurt got past the theatrical, grandiose cartoon character Axl is, he's also coloured in pretty goddamn interestingly, it's as if Kurt had this black/white attitude toward many things and had great difficulty separating it into complexities.

Not sure Kurt was a 27 year old teenager. He was 27 and counter-culture/alternative lifestyle. Most people back away early from this choice. Maybe some kids are into the art but in the end they get a job in the call centre. There's nothing juvenile about In Utero. It's serious shit.

Even Nevermind is not immature, teen spirit is not like yeah rebellion.

The 27-year-old teenager thing....i'm partly thinking about his Journal. For counter culture i'll go with Dylan, Waits, Zappa and read what they've had to say at certain times.

Cobain was a very talented singer and songwriter but what did he really have to say? As a person trying to deal with emotional and psychological trauma from being seriously abused as a child Axl had far more of value to say in his early 90s interviews. I've read the Cobain biographies and interview collections and didn't find a great deal of substance to gleam from them.

I don't feel like Kurt was overly abused. He has some ADD bi polar type thing that made him hard to handle. So they rejected him.

That definitely effected him and shaped some of his songs. But Teen Spirit isn't really teenage rebellion, it's very knowing and maybe even mocking that. He's not encouraging apathy, he was railing against it.

He was an outcast because he didn't fit the status quo. Not so much a teen who's angry he didn't get a new car for his birthday.

I feel like his lyrics progressed too. So by Servants ...teenage angst has paid off well now I'm bored and old.

I don't think he was dealing overtly with political issues no. But does some abstract lyrics make it teenage?

Nevermind is kind of like a guide to alternative lifestyle. Reject apathy and the status quo, be yourself come as you are, reject redneck values, vegetarianism etc. life isn't one big warrant video.

There's a set of values and lifestyle on show. Abstract arty lyrics is a statement in itself really.

It doesn't have to be overt lyrics like RATM. They didn't do videos of naked chicks. Basically feminist, anti-sexist. Whether its on Frances Farmer or Rape Me.

Is it really all teenage angst because its not lyrics about chicks and motorbikes? I think it's something people say who don't relate to the music.

But yeah there were no overt protest songs like early Dylan. He later kind said he's just a song and dance man and distanced him from those songs. So Kurt wasn't a revolutionary but part of alt culture. I think with Nirvana it's there you just have to work out the lyrics.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 2

And another one!

John Lydon financed an independent record with his...whats Axls excuse?

Nevermind, i think i know.

I remember John saying he had to do some stuff like that to get out of debt with his record company. There was a very long period where he couldn't do anything because they'd shelved him.

In the end Axl was right. Courtney admitted using heroin while pregnant.

How did the kid turn out anyway?

Healthy as fuck and as unclear as the rest of us :)

I always wondered why I ain't read any Paris Hilton type headlines about the kid so far, she must be about that age to do regrettable things by now

I always wondered why I ain't read any Paris Hilton type headlines about the kid so far, she must be about that age to do regrettable things by now
Cuz shes not a fuckin dozy bitch perhaps? :lol: Not all kids do.

Mark my words, this one wont let the side down.

Edited by Len B'stard

Looks like that's gonna be the case

t3GRXIr.jpg

Looks like that's gonna be the case

t3GRXIr.jpg

What, that she'll let the side down? I dont think so, i think shes got a lot of her old man in her. Her Dads shortcomings were to do with envoirnment and being of a certain place and time, she doesnt have that so the Dad elements that shine through are the positive ones, fun loving, highly creative, God bless her man, i hope she does well at anything she tries her hand at, loved her old man dearly so she gets respect from me by default.

What, that she'll let the side down? I dont think so, i think shes got a lot of her old man in her. Her Dads shortcomings were to do with envoirnment and being of a certain place and time, she doesnt have that so the Dad elements that shine through are the positive ones, fun loving, highly creative, God bless her man, i hope she does well at anything she tries her hand at, loved her old man dearly so she gets respect from me by default.

That's more what I meant, looks like she's not embracing the self destructive aspect. Which, given who her parents are, is against all odds.