Kurt Cobain Mocks Missing GNR Tour

Even after death, Kurt is still jealous of Axl and GNR.

Kurt was never "jealous" of Axl. He simply disliked the guy for who he was.

Rock music is meant to be fun.

Says who?

And again I say, Kurt is dead and Axl Rose and GNR are still standing.

Kurt is dead, really? I didn't know. I never liked Nirvana's music, but I think Kurt would say that is better to be dead than being part of something like this:

so at the end of the day we still reached the disaster video for this topic...

Also

I lol'd

Kurt was never "jealous" of Axl. He simply disliked the guy for who he was.

Says who?

And again I say, Kurt is dead and Axl Rose and GNR are still standing.

Kurt is dead, really? I didn't know. I never liked Nirvana's music, but I think Kurt would say that is better to be dead than being part of something like this:

so at the end of the day we still reached the disaster video for this topic...

Also

I lol'd

Nirvana fans glorified Kurt when he died. I don't agree with the sentiment at all but then again, I was never a fan of his music.

Kurt was basically what we now know as a hipster, and he resented the mainstream. He had issues with his own success. Back then, GN'R was the biggest band on the planet. His resentment of them simply stems from them representing, at the time, the epitome of mainstream music. I saw some kind of program about him years ago on UK TV and an ex-girlfriend of his said before Nirvana hit it big, he was actually a massive fan of Appetite for Destruction. So...there you have it. He didn't really hate GN'R, just what they came to embody.

It's sort of like people mocking Justin Bieber nowadays. There's far worse music out there, but he kind of perfectly encapsulates the whole mainstream music scene and he has a bratty attitude (which Axl was perceived as having back then), so he's an easy target.

• Like 3

Kurt was basically what we now know as a hipster, and he resented the mainstream. He had issues with his own success. Back then, GN'R was the biggest band on the planet. His resentment of them simply stems from them representing, at the time, the epitome of mainstream music. I saw some kind of program about him years ago on UK TV and an ex-girlfriend of his said before Nirvana hit it big, he was actually a massive fan of Appetite for Destruction. So...there you have it. He didn't really hate GN'R, just what they came to embody.

It's sort of like people mocking Justin Bieber nowadays. There's far worse music out there, but he kind of perfectly encapsulates the whole mainstream music scene and he has a bratty attitude (which Axl was perceived as having back then), so he's an easy target.

Great post, but wasn't his resentment towards Axl? Did he mock "Guns N' Roses" as well? Other than the "Duff" bit on that MTV video someone posted few pages earlier, I can't remember or find any digs at other members of the band.

Great post, but wasn't his resentment towards Axl? Did he mock "Guns N' Roses" as well? Other than the "Duff" bit on that MTV video someone posted few pages earlier, I can't remember or find any digs at other members of the band.

From the comments regarding the new documentary, it sounds like he was having-a-go at GN'R a bit.

But yes, I think the root of it came down to Axl. I think at the time, Axl was pervasive in pop culture, he was more outspoken than Slash or any other members, and he was in many ways the press-friendly face of GN'R. Kurt probably resented GN'R for "selling out" (and abandoning the punk attitude of Appetite), in his eyes; he probably specifically resented Axl, however, for his behavior and the way he was portrayed in the music press at the time as being kind of spoiled and outspoken. Not only that, Kurt probably thought the controversy surrounding stuff like One in a Million or Axl's alleged spousal abuse were shitty, as they went against a lot of Kurt's ideals. In short, Axl was simply an easy target and I think if Kurt had lived on, he probably would have eventually clarified all this in an interview (I'm sure someone would have brought his beef with Axl/GN'R up at some point) as he matured and outgrew his pretentious attitude. I think looking back twenty or thirty years later he probably wouldn't have had such a seeming animosity toward the band, just like Axl doesn't really claim to have beef with Vince Neil anymore.

We're ultimately talking about stuff that happened decades ago among a bunch of really young guys.

From the comments regarding the new documentary, it sounds like he was having-a-go at GN'R a bit.

But yes, I think the root of it came down to Axl. I think at the time, Axl was pervasive in pop culture, he was more outspoken than Slash or any other members, and he was in many ways the press-friendly face of GN'R. Kurt probably resented GN'R for "selling out" (and abandoning the punk attitude of Appetite), in his eyes; he probably specifically resented Axl, however, for his behavior and the way he was portrayed in the music press at the time as being kind of spoiled and outspoken. Not only that, Kurt probably thought the controversy surrounding stuff like One in a Million or Axl's alleged spousal abuse were shitty, as they went against a lot of Kurt's ideals. In short, Axl was simply an easy target and I think if Kurt had lived on, he probably would have eventually clarified all this in an interview (I'm sure someone would have brought his beef with Axl/GN'R up at some point) as he matured and outgrew his pretentious attitude. I think looking back twenty or thirty years later he probably wouldn't have had such a seeming animosity toward the band, just like Axl doesn't really claim to have beef with Vince Neil anymore.

We're ultimately talking about stuff that happened decades ago among a bunch of really young guys.

Not true at all...

Btw it's hilarious that Axl got attacked by literally everybody at that time, even by the biggest hipster of the 90's...

I'm a big Nirvana fan, but never a Kurt fan... he was tryin' too hard to become cool n' edgy, sometimes even more embarassingly than Axl or Slash

Not true at all...

Btw it's hilarious that Axl got attacked by literally everybody at that time, even by the biggest hipster of the 90's...

I'm a big Nirvana fan, but never a Kurt fan... he was tryin' too hard to become cool n' edgy, sometimes even more embarassingly than Axl or Slash

what, precisely, isn't true?

I've just never understood how a purposefully angsty voice leading a purposefully apathetic image and sound combined with nonsensical lyrics could have captured the attention of millions...but I guess teenagers are always looking for a reason to be apathetic and/or depressed. If the lyrics at least made sense, then it would have a reason, but they don't make sense. And yet it lives on because the guy died.

• Like 2

I've just never understood how a purposefully angsty voice leading a purposefully apathetic image and sound combined with nonsensical lyrics could have captured the attention of millions...but I guess teenagers are always looking for a reason to be apathetic and/or depressed. If the lyrics at least made sense, then it would have a reason, but they don't make sense. And yet it lives on because the guy died.

Pretty much this.

I dont get it either.

Not true at all...

the bolded part

what you stated is not true at all

he was never a media favorite nor a press friendly dude...

(maybe a few interviews where he was actually relaxed and nice, but overall he hates the media, most of the times rightfully, imho)

Not true at all...

the bolded part

what you stated is not true at all

he was never a media favorite nor a press friendly dude...

(maybe a few interviews where he was actually relaxed and nice, but overall he hates the media, most of the times rightfully, imho)

axl became wary of the media in his later years, after feeling persecuted by how they portrayed him.

but during the rise of the band, he was their centerpiece and spokesperson.

when i said press-friendly, i more-so meant that he had the charisma and drive to speak to the press -- he felt like he was the one leading the charge and representing everyone, and of course because he was the frontman he also generated most of the attention.

• Like 1

I still say he should have shot Courtney first and then maybe he would have had time to change his mind about killing himself.

Not a fan of the depressed 90's music nor those bands. I'm so glad after 30 years, the 80's rock bands are still making music and still touring for their fans.

Rock music is meant to be fun. I have enough to worry about, don't want my music to depress me more.

And again I say, Kurt is dead and Axl Rose and GNR are still standing. Although I do like Dave G.

Who has more fun, a GnR crowd of Glam poseurs with their make up and leather jackets showing out or a Nirvana crowd, all leaping and launching themselves and crowd surfing.

At the risk of being offensive GnR crowds are a bunch of wankers. Go to one of their gigs and its all these Towers or London lookalikes with the haircut and their lil paunchy guts poking out of their lil 'Live at the Whiskey' t shirts and their ugly girlfriends.

Sorry, did someone say 'Kurt resented Axl for abandoning the punk attitude up there?!?

BAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh say it again, please! :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

I still say he should have shot Courtney first and then maybe he would have had time to change his mind about killing himself.

Not a fan of the depressed 90's music nor those bands. I'm so glad after 30 years, the 80's rock bands are still making music and still touring for their fans.

Rock music is meant to be fun. I have enough to worry about, don't want my music to depress me more.

And again I say, Kurt is dead and Axl Rose and GNR are still standing. Although I do like Dave G.

Who has more fun, a GnR crowd of Glam poseurs with their make up and leather jackets showing out or a Nirvana crowd, all leaping and launching themselves and crowd surfing.

At the risk of being offensive GnR crowds are a bunch of wankers. Go to one of their gigs and its all these Towers or London lookalikes with the haircut and their lil paunchy guts poking out of their lil 'Live at the Whiskey' t shirts and their ugly girlfriends.

Sorry, did someone say 'Kurt resented Axl for abandoning the punk attitude up there?!?

You forget that at every Foo Fighters concert you see Kurt lookalikes walking around in ripped jeans, bleached hair and with a ugly girlfriend... just as many wanker Nirvana fans with paunchy guts. Don't get me wrong the last time I went to see Guns, half the guys were wearing bandanna's and sunglasses thinking they were Axl lookalikes... truly cringe-worthy so I don't disagree with you entirely!.

You forget that at every Foo Fighters concert you see Kurt lookalikes walking around in ripped jeans, bleached hair and with a ugly girlfriend... just as many wanker Nirvana fans with paunchy guts. Don't get me wrong the last time I went to see Guns, half the guys were wearing bandanna's and sunglasses thinking they were Axl lookalikes... truly cringe-worthy so I don't disagree with you entirely!.

Nor do i disagree with you entirely sir, the cool kids of the Nirvana crowd changed rapidly too, as fame set in.

Back in 1985-1987, they were more like a STREET punk band (y'know, bands that actually living the rebel life with ups and downs, not just polished wankers that gotten together because one manager want them to got together, cough Sex Pistols cough). After that, yeah, that's another story. Btw if you really wanna generalize, grunge and Nirvana fans at the concerts look like lame ass motherfuckers too with ugly or fat girlfirends, but this is really a thing? Judging a band by the bands crowd? who the fuck cares?

Edited by Strange Broue

Back in 1985-1987, they were more like a STREET punk band (y'know, bands that actually living the rebel life with ups and downs, not just polished wankers that gotten together because one manager want them to got together, cough Sex Pistols cough). After that, yeah, that's another story. Btw if you really wanna generalize, grunge and Nirvana fans at the concerts look like lame ass motherfuckers too with ugly or fat girlfirends, but this is really a thing? Judging a band by the bands crowd? who the fuck cares?
I see what you're trying to say but its a vague and insubstantial association based on archetypes. Not having a go at you for making the association you understand, just disagreeing, GnR represented the sort of thing punk was supposed to breakdown, the purpose of punk was to destroy rock n roll...GnR celebrated and revelled in it.

The closest any of them came to punk was actually Axl himself, which would get me executed in most punk circles but i mean in the sense that he was forward thinking. He was just never able to follow through on those aspects for whatever reason. Acl had a certain rugged individualism and questioning attitude which is sort of at the heart of punk. There is a lot of empathy there also, which i also believe Axl had a fair bit of, though it was often misrepresented.

This is me being quite charitable to Axl really.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Duff got all those scars on his chest from wearing a Sid chain for nothing.

That's one thing from the Montage movie, it highlights the change between club days and then being a stadium band.

Paunchy? How dare you!

Have to admit didn't see anything in the movie to kill yourself over. I guess the rage over humiliation and too sensitive point to certain things but they basically dance around it.

Edited by wasted

Back in 1985-1987, they were more like a STREET punk band (y'know, bands that actually living the rebel life with ups and downs, not just polished wankers that gotten together because one manager want them to got together, cough Sex Pistols cough).

I'm about to engage in an incredibly corny dick measuring contest here but here goes:

Comparison of The Pistols compared to GnR in terms of street cred' is a fucking joke. The fact is GnR were all soft little middle class to lower middle class boys that were acting out some kind of rock n roll street urchin family. Axl Rose weren't on no streets, he was came from a fuckin' lower middle class suburban Indiana set up, as did Izzy. They left because they WANTED to leave and their bullshit street stuff was just lame ass teenage vandalism crap, acting out cuz their Momsies and Dadsies didn't stroke their bollocks when they were growing up. And Slash? He was positively affluent, Christ Almighty his Mum used to make costumes for David Bowie for fuckssake, and you wanna compare them to The Pistols, growing up in London in the 70s? It's a joke of a comparison.

John Lydon, son of Irish immigrant parents, fuck me they were a family of 8 that lived on the floor of a shopfront with a big curtain across the front, they didn't even have a fuckin' bath, in those days working class people in England had to go to public baths once a week. I mean the guy got meningitis and ended up in a coma for a year from rats pissing in the fucking water, thats the sort of street level John Lydon came from, the kid often didn't have shoes growing up. The guy was an Arsenal hooligan.

Steve Jones, grew up in one room, slept in a camp bed at the foot of his parents bed (one of whom weren't his real parent), he was almost completely illiterate at the point of joining The Pistols having literally no education, he spent great portions of his youth in Ashford Remand centre for Juveniles (which is now Feltham Prison), his criminal record extended to burglary, stealing cars, street robbery and common assault.

Sid Vicious was the son of a hippie junkie mother and no father, no idea even what his real name was (variously John Beverley, John Simon Ritchie, Simon Beverely, no one knew!), shuttled from town to town, never able to hold onto a fixed abode, the kid grew up watching his Mum shoot heroin with those Victorian era steel syringes, Sid never had a fuckin' chance in this world, people wonder why he grew up so fucked up.

Even Glen Matlock, the least street of all of them was working class, his parents worked in factories and mills.

And you wanna compare them to a bunch of wannabe suburban kids like Duff from Seattle that grew up listening to fucking Prince or whatever? Axl Rose, the guy is the typical fuckin' bible belt American kid, these guys escaped boring situations from positions of comfort, they dunno what fuckin' poverty is, they chose it, as a pose because they knew that they could make it all better again if they just wrote home to their Mumsies and Dadsies.

Pistols didn't have that, they were born in the shit and would've died in the shit had they not had the nouse to pull themselves up out of their desperate situation. They might have been skinny weedy little squirts but see thats usually how you can tell street people from non street people, you don't live on the street and somehow have carefully cultivated haircuts, tanned bodies and atheletic physiques.

Edited by Len B'stard

^^^

But what about street cred. Not everyone gives a shit. I just like the way it sounds and the attitude. I don't care how tough you are as long as the music is honest which it was in the case of Guns.

They were different people from different places of the world. You can't expect the people in a band to be anything more then they are and they've reflected themselves perfectly on Appetite and if you can relate to how they were and what they've captured, you're good. Should be enough.

Of course they weren't as influential or "important" as the Pistols. Most bands don't reach those heights anyway.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

What about Street cred. Not everyone gives a shit

Clearly Strange Broue does, which is why he made a point of it, i outlined from the beginning that i thought such comparisons were corny dick-measuring contests but if he's gonna make a point based on his understanding of a situation well then you better make sure it makes sense because you might be talking to someone that actually knows what they're talking about.

You can't have the shit both ways, i seen that a lot in this thread, someone'll make a point of something kinda lightweight and puerile, you'll meet em on their level and do em one better and what you get in response is 'ugh, who cares about that shit, that doesn't matter!' well then don't bring it up then! :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard