Kurt Cobain Mocks Missing GNR Tour

It's sad that people still think Kobain is a legend. He's a terrible person. Had a child and couldn't lay off the drugs, had a wife more strung out than him and didn't live long enough to realize his mistakes and fix himself for his family. He took the easy road, it wasn't noble and it didn't kill rock and roll. It brought about an era of depressed teenage kids who go to their school with guns and shoot their fellow classmates, nirvana brought bands like Creed and Nickelback into the mainstream and gave rise to linear depressed music. I'm glad everyone thinks they were iconic.

Axl was an f up too. Beating women and got on drugs and made life hard for his band with his lateness. He could have shot himself straight into immortality in the 90's, but instead he took the long winding road of life and realized that beating women was wrong, doing drugs is not good, and it took some time but Axl shows up on time these days. The guy is as crappy a person as each one of us, but when you play the game of life and work your way through the issues you usually come out a better person. I'm proud of Axl for not being a pussy like Kobain. Hell Axl is even a humanitarian these days, trying to plead with world leaders to spare lives.

Point is if you think Kurt is a better person than Axl than your a dumbass.

• Like 3

And even though this has been posted a million times, NIrvana's rant about Axl (we know Duff and Krist became good friends but it lays out what they didn't like about Guns N' Roses).

Kinda cringe a little bit at them bashing the "establishment" I get that's their gimmick, but it's been done.

Blackie, with such a finely tuned sense of the ridiculous, how do you not find 90% of metal laughable? I'm not trying to be rude either, serious question, I mean its very hammy and theatrical generally, don't you think? Or do you find the sort of Young Ones politics to be more cringeworthy than the idea of theatrics, which I suppose you can argue are a part of entertainment performances generally.

It's a tried and true method of getting over with the fans, especially once you have a bit of traction. It's how some fighters try to maneuver their way to a top spot, but insulting the top dog and goading them into saying something back, suddenly this scrappy new guy is in a main event for a bazillion dollar purse on pay per view. Wouldn't be surprised if this got orchestrated by Geffen's management/marketing.

And even though this has been posted a million times, NIrvana's rant about Axl (we know Duff and Krist became good friends but it lays out what they didn't like about Guns N' Roses).

Kinda cringe a little bit at them bashing the "establishment" I get that's their gimmick, but it's been done.

Blackie, with such a finely tuned sense of the ridiculous, how do you not find 90% of metal laughable? I'm not trying to be rude either, serious question, I mean its very hammy and theatrical generally, don't you think? Or do you find the sort of Young Ones politics to be more cringeworthy than the idea of theatrics, which I suppose you can argue are a part of entertainment performances generally.

It's a tried and true method of getting over with the fans, especially once you have a bit of traction. It's how some fighters try to maneuver their way to a top spot, but insulting the top dog and goading them into saying something back, suddenly this scrappy new guy is in a main event for a bazillion dollar purse on pay per view. Wouldn't be surprised if this got orchestrated by Geffen's management/marketing.

Honestly, i don't think Kurt Cobain had the marketing brains to do something like that.

As i said previously, within certain circles GnR were considered a joke in those days, the soft target, easy pickings for 'x' alternative or punk band to rag on. I'm suprised this is news to you, every metaller i ever met, hardcore metaller here, not your average Metalica fan, they founds GnR ridiculous. Glam too, taking it in terms of the era but GnR specifically, being a metaller, Christ they were like a joke in them days and in much the same way that, for punk circles, Axl/GnR were to go to pisstake band, the big dogs of the era.

And thats not me having a pop at GnR either, I mean in the 70s with The Pistols it was Rod Stewart or Queen, it's hardly a cynical marketing technique it's just offhand bullshit.

No one gave two shits about some supposed Nirvana/GnR feud in them days, it got a couple of little sidebars and that was it, it weren't some big thing nor did Nirvana gain any attention as a result of it.

The basic skinny on the shit is like this, Nirvana come up, they blow up, they become huge and they find themselves being put in a category and they felt the need (something they later admitted to being stupid) to differentiate themselves from people that they considered themselves to have nothing to do with. The whole 'we don't want a bunch of GnR fans at our gigs' thing. And thats what that was about, drawing a line in the sand and letting it be known that we're kinda of that...Devo ilk, Sonic Youth ilk, thats our thing, not GnR or Metallica and then attendant stereotypes and mentalities that were typically associated with being to do with those types of...bands/music etc.

Kurt came up from a scene that was really quite militantly lo-fi and anti-commercial and though he didn't necessarily make that kind of music he was in love with that shit politically speaking and like...this is reflected in the types of benefits and charities they did gigs for, ones that are kinda oppositical to what was considered the Axl Rose tao if you like. So...y'know, I guess it could've been an idea worth entertaining, that it was all a cynical marketing scheme but it was a thing continued by Cobain in a lot of different senses.

Kurt was CONSTANTLY going on about feminism, about equality, amongst gender, amongst race, these things were seriously important to him and he wanted his shit to reflect that and it did, with songs like Rape Me and all that, he's making a point.

And that i think was his main problem with Axl Rose, in terms of...he was kinda horrified i think, that someone like Axl Rose could listen to his music and like it because, according to the Kurt mentality, if someone like Axl (someone he considered a racist homophobic bigot) can listen to his music and get something out of it then there must be something wrong with the way he communicates his message because if a bigot is getting something from it then there must be something wrong about it.

I recall him saying in an interview that perhaps Polly or About A Girl were...not clear enough in the message they were trying to convey, hence the need for something as heavy-handed as Rape Me (which still got fuckin' misinterpreted, well done Kurt :lol:) The idea being basically that 'hang on, Axl Rose heard this and LIKED it? Mr 'Immigrants and F@ggots heard this and LIKED it? Well he must be missing the point somewhere'.

And thats what the initial clarification stuff was about, why they weren't proud of having a bunch of GnR fans listening to their music...because they came from a scene that specifically rejected that shit. Every single mention in the documentary that so much shit is being made out of, he's as much taking the piss out of himself there than he is of Axl.

It's not just a music that Kurt represented, it was a whole mentality, a lifestyle, a way of being.

• Like 3

Honestly, i don't think Kurt Cobain had the marketing brains to do something like that.

As i said previously, within certain circles GnR were considered a joke in those days, the soft target, easy pickings for 'x' alternative or punk band to rag on. I'm suprised this is news to you, every metaller i ever met, hardcore metaller here, not your average Metalica fan, they founds GnR ridiculous. Glam too, taking it in terms of the era but GnR specifically, being a metaller, Christ they were like a joke in them days and in much the same way that, for punk circles, Axl/GnR were to go to pisstake band, the big dogs of the era.

And thats not me having a pop at GnR either, I mean in the 70s with The Pistols it was Rod Stewart or Queen, it's hardly a cynical marketing technique it's just offhand bullshit.

No one gave two shits about some supposed Nirvana/GnR feud in them days, it got a couple of little sidebars and that was it, it weren't some big thing nor did Nirvana gain any attention as a result of it.

The basic skinny on the shit is like this, Nirvana come up, they blow up, they become huge and they find themselves being put in a category and they felt the need (something they later admitted to being stupid) to differentiate themselves from people that they considered themselves to have nothing to do with. The whole 'we don't want a bunch of GnR fans at our gigs' thing. And thats what that was about, drawing a line in the sand and letting it be known that we're kinda of that...Devo ilk, Sonic Youth ilk, thats our thing, not GnR or Metallica and then attendant stereotypes and mentalities that were typically associated with being to do with those types of...bands/music etc.

Kurt came up from a scene that was really quite militantly lo-fi and anti-commercial and though he didn't necessarily make that kind of music he was in love with that shit politically speaking and like...this is reflected in the types of benefits and charities they did gigs for, ones that are kinda oppositical to what was considered the Axl Rose tao if you like. So...y'know, I guess it could've been an idea worth entertaining, that it was all a cynical marketing scheme but it was a thing continued by Cobain in a lot of different senses.

Kurt was CONSTANTLY going on about feminism, about equality, amongst gender, amongst race, these things were seriously important to him and he wanted his shit to reflect that and it did, with songs like Rape Me and all that, he's making a point.

And that i think was his main problem with Axl Rose, in terms of...he was kinda horrified i think, that someone like Axl Rose could listen to his music and like it because, according to the Kurt mentality, if someone like Axl (someone he considered a racist homophobic bigot) can listen to his music and get something out of it then there must be something wrong with the way he communicates his message because if a bigot is getting something from it then there must be something wrong about it.

I recall him saying in an interview that perhaps Polly or About A Girl were...not clear enough in the message they were trying to convey, hence the need for something as heavy-handed as Rape Me (which still got fuckin' misinterpreted, well done Kurt :lol:) The idea being basically that 'hang on, Axl Rose heard this and LIKED it? Mr 'Immigrants and F@ggots heard this and LIKED it? Well he must be missing the point somewhere'.

And thats what the initial clarification stuff was about, why they weren't proud of having a bunch of GnR fans listening to their music...because they came from a scene that specifically rejected that shit. Every single mention in the documentary that so much shit is being made out of, he's as much taking the piss out of himself there than he is of Axl.

It's not just a music that Kurt represented, it was a whole mentality, a lifestyle, a way of being.

Very strong post.

Overall, I respect the way Axl took the high road in this feud. No matter what you may think of one or the other as artists, clealry Axl comes across as the classier person, the bigger man if you will, in the context of this conflict.

I'm a committed Cobainite who always takes his side but the truth is the truth and the truth is Kurt started it so he had to expect a reaction but Axls reaction was hardly classy, they're both to fault really but it's 70/30 Kurts wrong-doing really...not that he gave a fuck or it was even that big a feud. No one gave a shit really.

Overall, I respect the way Axl took the high road in this feud. No matter what you may think of one or the other as artists, clealry Axl comes across as the classier person, the bigger man if you will, in the context of this conflict.

I'm a committed Cobainite who always takes his side but the truth is the truth and the truth is Kurt started it so he had to expect a reaction but Axls reaction was hardly classy, they're both to fault really but it's 70/30 Kurts wrong-doing really...not that he gave a fuck or it was even that big a feud. No one gave a shit really.

The press were probably hoping for Axl/Vince Neil II or something similar.

The press were probably hoping for Axl/Vince Neil II or something similar.

Instead they got King Dick vs The Pararie Belt Sausage Boy :lol:

It's sad that people still think Kobain is a legend.

I agree. Here we are over 20 years later and people still can't spell.

That's fair.

• Like 1

also a piece of overrated shiet

It's sad that people still think Kobain is a legend.

I agree. Here we are over 20 years later and people still can't spell.

That's fair.

*then

*you're

Haha ok fair

Axl threatened Cobain in front of his wife and baby. Classy dude.

That's how Axl Rose operates, he's all talk but scared of taking any action.

"I'll kick your ass like I said that I would" - Yeah, sure buddy. Sure. :jerkoff:

I don't know he floored that reporter in LAX pretty good, right or wrong. Jumped into the crowd at St Louis and and slapped that dude. Kurt probably went white when Axl threatened him, confronted him there and then, talk shit now sort of thing. Courtney knew what she was doing trying to get a raise outta him. Duff had the last laugh tipping Kris over in that porta potti :lol:

"I'll kick your ass like I said that I would" - Yeah, sure buddy. Sure. :jerkoff:

I don't know he floored that reporter in LAX pretty good, right or wrong. Jumped into the crowd at St Louis and and slapped that dude. Kurt probably went white when Axl threatened him, confronted him there and then, talk shit now sort of thing. Courtney knew what she was doing trying to get a raise outta him. Duff had the last laugh tipping Kris over in that porta potti :lol:

He didn't. LAX incident is proof that Axl is a coward. What kind of punch is that? :rofl-lol: I highly doubt Kurt was scared when Axl threatened him, as he continued to shit on him, mocking him nonstop.

He didn't. LAX incident is proof that Axl is a coward. What kind of punch is that? :rofl-lol: I highly doubt Kurt was scared when Axl threatened him, as he continued to shit on him, mocking him nonstop.

We can debate all night..but makes us keyboard warriors right? :lol: I don't know heroin junkies..don't have control of there own bowels.

We can debate all night..but makes us keyboard warriors right? :lol: I don't know heroin junkies..don't have control of there own bowels.

It's not up for debate, the footage is clear. Maybe Axl was a badass to you. :lol:

It's not up for debate, the footage is clear. Maybe Axl was a badass to you. :lol:

The dude's God, nuff said!

The dude's God, nuff said!

I'm sorry for you.

Grunge was regurgitated Punk, old news.

I don't even think grunge was a musical genre. It was more a marketing style, a culturally defining genre of fashion and imagery more than anything else. Nirvana was a punk band, but Pearl Jam wasn't yet they were both perceived as grunge despite the vastly dissimilar musical styles. I don't know that those bands were regurgitated- at least not anymore so than Guns was regurgitated Stones or Aerosmith. I think Guns, Nirvana, the Seattle scene, etc built upon their influences as opposed to ripping off and exploiting them.

Edited by Mr. Dude
  • Like 1