Slash: "The 3 greatest frontmans of all time are Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler and Axl Rose."

Ive read some of the dumbest shit in this thread...

:thumbsup:

Telling somebody their own personal preference (opinion) is wrong.....it's just laughable.

Yeah like our Chinese Democracy debates, ha!

Except we both agree that CD is incredible.

And in that case, you're both wrong!

Because we know the album's utter fetid shit.

How can you smell a sound recording?

Nice new word from Merriam-Webster, though

It is actually not historically true that 'America has never liked Queen'. Queen played Madison Square Garden in 1977 during their peak period. They were one of the biggest bands there. 1980's The Game was actually bigger stateside than it was in the United Kingdom. It is more true that, America dramatically fell out of love with Queen during the Hot Space/Works period (1982-84), and never quite recovered her fondness until Wayne's World and arguably, never. Queen reciprocated by basically refusing to play America. This was paradoxically when Queen were at their commercial peak elsewhere, becoming a stadium act in new territories such as South America and behind the Iron Curtain.

Just to clear it up, in my end, I never said queen were never big here in America, because they were. You are pretty much dead on about when they were big here and when they were not. All of their stuff post 1982 or so never really did much over here, you never here any of those songs on the radio, except for under pressure, that was queens last American hit I believe.
Was Under Pressure a hit at the time though? It only hit 29 in America. It was also released a year before Hot Space and it doesn't really fit with the rest of the album.

I'd say Body Language was their last U.S. hit before Wayne's World brought Bohemian Rhapsody to number 2 in 1992.

Edited by luciusfunk

It is actually not historically true that 'America has never liked Queen'. Queen played Madison Square Garden in 1977 during their peak period. They were one of the biggest bands there. 1980's The Game was actually bigger stateside than it was in the United Kingdom. It is more true that, America dramatically fell out of love with Queen during the Hot Space/Works period (1982-84), and never quite recovered her fondness until Wayne's World and arguably, never. Queen reciprocated by basically refusing to play America. This was paradoxically when Queen were at their commercial peak elsewhere, becoming a stadium act in new territories such as South America and behind the Iron Curtain.

Just to clear it up, in my end, I never said queen were never big here in America, because they were. You are pretty much dead on about when they were big here and when they were not. All of their stuff post 1982 or so never really did much over here, you never here any of those songs on the radio, except for under pressure, that was queens last American hit I believe.
Was Under Pressure a hit at the time though? It only hit 29 in America. It was also released a year before Hot Space and it doesn't really fit with the rest of the album.

I'd say Body Language was their last U.S. hit before Wayne's World brought Bohemian Rhapsody to number 2 in 1992.

I don't think releasing singles is that important, look at led zep, they officially didn't release a single til the mid 90's, and for me zep are the best band of all time

There are some theories on why America fell out of love with Queen and one is, homosexuality. The moment Queen bombed stateside was coincidentally exactly the time when Fred was doing the whole, ''GAY GAY GAY'' thing, adopting the archetypal gay image of short hair, moustache and vests and producing videos as blatantly homosexual as this,

Even the scantly clad women in it, do not somehow stop it from being homosexual!

I am sure I do not need to remind people that America is a fairly conservative country - in some ways, a lot more conservative than the rest of the world. So America consequentially switched off. It did not help that Hot Space was a dreadful album anyway. And then when Queen produced the 'I Want to Break Free' video from The Works period, Americans misinterpreted the British humour, of a Coronation Street pastiche, instead seeing it as a sign of more limey homosexuality. The thing is, Britain has this tradition of, 'loving a good queen'. There is nothing Brits find more amusing then watching Kenneth Williams struggling amidst a bunch of double entendres. We have this tradition of humour which stretches back to variety and drag acts. 'I Want to Break Free' fits into that niche.

Returning to the subject of America, Queen consequentially refused to downsize venues, and rebuild their American fanbase by constant touring; they just stubbornly said, 'fuck America'. Understand that they were picking up 'stadium' markets elsewhere. There is a massive difference both economically and egotistically, going back-and-forward between stadia and theatres. So Queen's American popularity sank, virtually overnight. It was so quick that it gives one the impression that, Queen were never big in America in the first place.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

I doubt Axl puts Slash in his top 10 guitarists though.

1."Robin is my Randy Rhodes" he said to Marc at one point. That's a top 10 for him.

2. Buckethead is probably another.

3. Sweet Child, November Rain, and Estranged are probably reasons enough for Axl to consider Slash one of the best.

4. Brian May, he thought he could help him create solos he liked after Robin left.

5. Probably David Gilmour.

6. Dave Navarro

7. SRV

8. Paul Huge

9. Izzy

10. DJ Ashba

Edited by Rovim

There's all these guitar greats May, Page, Hendrix, Perry, Townsend, Keef, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Blackmoore, Frusciante, Iommi, Eddie VanHalen, Joe Satriani.

Do you think Slash is in Axl's top 3 guitarists?

Axl is legit better singer than most frontmen. Only Freddie and Jagger are the complete package like Axl.

I guess Bucket was Axls Steve Vai.

Edited by wasted

There's all these guitar greats May, Page, Hendrix, Perry, Townsend, Keef, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Blackmoore, Frusciante, Iommi, Eddie VanHalen

Do you think Slash is in Axl's top 3 guitarists?

Axl is legit better singer than most frontmen. Only Freddie and Jagger are the complete package like Axl.

"I've always wanted people to know how great he was" he said about Slash. I think he believed in him from the start.

After the shitstorm, he said Slash lost the fire, passion whatever. Before that he wanted Slash to play on his most important project, on Chinese. For at least a couple of songs.

He was willing to consider that, despite his anger. Only reason for that is cause he still understood the value of what Slash can do and how he can elevate any good songs to something greater then what it was before Slash got involved.

Axl even admitted he couldn't do an AFD type record and Slash was the reason for that. He explained no other guitar player he crossed paths with at the time could do riffs in the sort of way Slash does them.

And it's not just the riffs, it's the whole guitar language Slash speaks that goes perfectly with Axl and Izzy songs.

Edited by Rovim

Axl said around CD release he preferred to listen to others, not Slash. He even said Slash should have left after Lies? But yeah then he wanted Slash for 3 CD songs!

So who knows?

I doubt he'd name Slash.

Probably

May, Page, Hendrix.

Also, although Im a GNR fan and probably would listen to Estranged over Stairway to Heaven or Bohemian Rapsody, I still think those songs are probably better and Page and May way ahead of Slash. Not even sure what Slash does on Nov Rain is what he does best, he's better on rockers. He's more a Joe Perry to me. I wouldn't put him up with Hendrix.

Whereas Axl probably is better than Jagger and Plant. Plant lacks moves, Jagger lacks vocal range. So it's between Axl and Freddie.

We're GNR fans so we think of Slash as great because he's perfect for Guns.

Edited by wasted

No way!! He was just too feminine onstage , with the body language and his gay persona...gayness and rock n roll don`t go along well ....at the end of the day when you`re up there performing before a major audience behaving like a straight alpha male is just as important as the music ,

Haha WTF? Are you serious? Mick Jagger arguably the greatest front man ever is nothing but feminen in the way he moves on stage but yeah Freddy was just too gay right? Your post is quite possibly the dumbest shit I have ever read. You should be banned from the internet.

Even if Under Pressure wasn't a hit here originally, it is played on classic rock and 80s radio stations. Maybe it's because of Ice Ice Baby? Who knows? But Body Language I've never heard once on any radio station, that's why I feel Under Pressure was Queens last song that America liked.

Axl said around CD release he preferred to listen to others, not Slash. He even said Slash should have left after Lies? But yeah then he wanted Slash for 3 CD songs!

So who knows?

I doubt he'd name Slash.

Probably

May, Page, Hendrix.

Also, although Im a GNR fan and probably would listen to Estranged over Stairway to Heaven or Bohemian Rapsody, I still think those songs are probably better and Page and May way ahead of Slash. Not even sure what Slash does on Nov Rain is what he does best, he's better on rockers. He's more a Joe Perry to me. I wouldn't put him up with Hendrix.

Whereas Axl probably is better than Jagger and Plant. Plant lacks moves, Jagger lacks vocal range. So it's between Axl and Freddie.

We're GNR fans so we think of Slash as great because he's perfect for Guns.

Slash took many of the right elements of the blues to create fresh bluesy hard rock when he was in Guns. His melodic sense allows him to inject his sound, note choices and personality into every good rock song. Ballads are just more melodic, but that doesn't seem like a problem for Slash imo.

His go to thing is straight up mean and sleazy rockers that invoke a certain primal connection with his guitar.

He is nothing like Hendrix. He lacks the vision, the songs, the inovation, and the quality but he is one of the followers of taking blues to a more rocky place. His love for metal contributed in some ways to stonsey songs and his hard edged accurate playing at least compared to Izzy created an ideal contrast.

But there is no real interest or even ability to explore and progress beyond what always seem to satisfy Slash the most which is keeping it rock.

Then again, he was interested in joining the Stone Roses. That is interesting to me.

Axl at least has the drive to fulfill all of his musical interests beyond just what the band did best at one point in time like Appetite.

Elton has to be there for a few songs, new influences, and progressing naturallly from the Illusions in Axl's mind. Strictly a guess of course.

Edited by Rovim

The context where Axl said that Slash "should have left after Lies", has nothing to do with Axl preferring to listen to others ... Axl always showed how much he loved Slash's sound.

Didnt say that specifically. i was just jotting notes while agreeing what Rovim was saying and you. Axl loved Slashs playing...but more than Page and May?

There's still a difference between I love Slash in

my band and he's in my top 3. Axl is legit top 3.

If you step back Guns never as good as Zepp or Queen. I hate Queen, well you know I can't take it. Slash can work in that metal rock n roll way on Estranged but it's not No Quarter by a long chalk.

What were saying is Axl should answer in kind. Like Keef, Perry, Slash. That's the lineage for Guns. That's Slashs perspective.

But in guitars, it's like

Hendrix - shut your mouth

And then I don't know, Axls two favorite bands are Zepp and Queen?

Even if you love Slashs playing, is he really better than Page and May or EVH. It's not as obvious to me as Axl is 1 or 2.

I believe Axl would put Slash in his top 3

I guess even somehow I believe that, even though how much Axl hates Slash, but I know he does likes Slash somewhere deep inside, he did like some VR songs, im sure Axl would have heard Slash's solo albums and liked them too

• Like 1

Didnt say that specifically. i was just jotting notes while agreeing what Rovim was saying and you. Axl loved Slashs playing...but more than Page and May?

If you step back Guns never as good as Zepp or Queen. I hate Queen, well you know I can't take it. Slash can work in that metal rock n roll way on Estranged but it's not No Quarter by a long chalk.

What were saying is Axl should answer in kind. Like Keef, Perry, Slash. That's the lineage for Guns. That's Slashs perspective.

Even if you love Slashs playing, is he really better than Page and May or EVH. It's not as obvious to me as Axl is 1 or 2.

Page, May, and Eddie are on a different, higher level compared to Slash.

I guess they were more original, influential, and had a more extensive body of work that has better quality and the fact they came first.

He's like what if you took the best parts of Perry, Page, Clapton, Angus, and rolled those styles into one and it became something new, at least a unique sound that was in itself, much like Appetite was.

Slash invokes a lot of classic influences in his playing, but it sounded fresh in Guns. like how can you know where to put that little country lick and suddenly just play a flurry of notes and stop at the exact right time to not veer too much from the melody.

He's the guitar player that can tell stories with his solos and create sleazy as shit riffs when inspired. He's nothing like Page who could do way more with his set of tools.

But Slash is the perfect band oriented hard rock player. He's not more then that though. His biggest talent is his ability to blend in perfectly with the right notes at the perfect timing and he's always playing on top of the song but it adds to it, becomes a real part of it like in Estranged.

Or even his SCOM solo is a part of the song and WTTJ is astounding when you really listen to what Slash did there with his minimalistic solos that are, again, a part of the song.

Edited by Rovim

No way!! He was just too feminine onstage , with the body language and his gay persona...gayness and rock n roll don`t go along well ....at the end of the day when you`re up there performing before a major audience behaving like a straight alpha male is just as important as the music ,

You do realise that homosexuality is almost synonymous with rock n roll? Y'know what people said about the Beatles when they shook their heads and went 'whoooooooooo', don't you? That they looked like queers. Same with The Stones and what you've outlined, same with The Who and all them mods who used to wear mascara. What do you think Hendrix looked like with the tight clobber and feather boas and that? Long hair on it's own was a sign of being a bit funny for the first quarter of a century of rock n rolls existence.

Sex Pistols came up out of almost queer culture, in fact a lot of punk did, Disco did, House music did.

Edited by Len B'stard

I guess there is no one better for Axl musically. Better will just be not as good if it's not Slash in a Guns song. Or at least, you won't get the same result or as Guns as it could have sounded.

The majority of the songs rely on Slashs guitar playing. It's strange that a lot of the singles didn't as much. A good song is a good song I guess. But the elemental sound of GNR is Slashs guitar and Axls vocal. That's what is missing from CD, that cohesion. It saves basic songs like Shotgun and Back off bitch. It's just comfy. It's like fair enough. That allows Axls hard rock vocal to shine.

• Like 1

The majority of the songs rely on Slashs guitar playing. It's strange that a lot of the singles didn't as much. A good song is a good song I guess. But the elemental sound of GNR is Slashs guitar and Axls vocal. That's what is missing from CD, that cohesion. It saves basic songs like Shotgun and Back off bitch. It's just comfy. It's like fair enough. That allows Axls hard rock vocal to shine.

Are you actually sober?

• Like 1

Are you actually sober?

No, he's.....