Slash: "The 3 greatest frontmans of all time are Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler and Axl Rose."

No way!! He was just too feminine onstage , with the body language and his gay persona...gayness and rock n roll don`t go along well ....at the end of the day when you`re up there performing before a major audience behaving like a straight alpha male is just as important as the music ,

You do realise that homosexuality is almost synonymous with rock n roll? Y'know what people said about the Beatles when they shook their heads and went 'whoooooooooo', don't you? That they looked like queers. Same with The Stones and what you've outlined, same with The Who and all them mods who used to wear mascara. What do you think Hendrix looked like with the tight clobber and feather boas and that? Long hair on it's own was a sign of being a bit funny for the first quarter of a century of rock n rolls existence.

Sex Pistols came up out of almost queer culture, in fact a lot of punk did, Disco did, House music did.

You do realise he's already been banned and you are flogging a dead horse?

No way!! He was just too feminine onstage , with the body language and his gay persona...gayness and rock n roll don`t go along well ....at the end of the day when you`re up there performing before a major audience behaving like a straight alpha male is just as important as the music ,

You do realise that homosexuality is almost synonymous with rock n roll? Y'know what people said about the Beatles when they shook their heads and went 'whoooooooooo', don't you? That they looked like queers. Same with The Stones and what you've outlined, same with The Who and all them mods who used to wear mascara. What do you think Hendrix looked like with the tight clobber and feather boas and that? Long hair on it's own was a sign of being a bit funny for the first quarter of a century of rock n rolls existence.

Sex Pistols came up out of almost queer culture, in fact a lot of punk did, Disco did, House music did.

You do realise he's already been banned and you are flogging a dead horse?

I think it's a point worth making regardless, you get a lot of this among the hard rock fan community, going on about queers this and masculinity that, all the while cavorting around on the premier benders platform for about half a century.

I love my European friends on this forum, but I will say that most of you are unable to have an open discussion about Freddie. To most of you, he is without a doubt the best frontman of all time, which is great. But what some of you just don't understand is that here in America he didn't translate as well to us. Honestly, I would say Plant, Roger Daltry, Ozzy,Jagger, and bowie all translated better to American audiences. That doesn't make them better nor worse than Freddie, it just is what it is. But what I think has happened here in this thread is that many of you just plain to refuse to accept anyone else as number 1 except for Mercury. Which come in now, it is all subjective. Slash doesn't have him in his top 3, which is fine. Many people don't, that doesn't make them wrong, it just means they have a different opinion.

100% American here and Freddie is still number one.

I love my European friends on this forum, but I will say that most of you are unable to have an open discussion about Freddie. To most of you, he is without a doubt the best frontman of all time, which is great. But what some of you just don't understand is that here in America he didn't translate as well to us. Honestly, I would say Plant, Roger Daltry, Ozzy,Jagger, and bowie all translated better to American audiences. That doesn't make them better nor worse than Freddie, it just is what it is. But what I think has happened here in this thread is that many of you just plain to refuse to accept anyone else as number 1 except for Mercury. Which come in now, it is all subjective. Slash doesn't have him in his top 3, which is fine. Many people don't, that doesn't make them wrong, it just means they have a different opinion.

Number 1 what, famous AIDS victim? Purveyor of shite music? Ballet enthusiast in pop music? :lol:

• Like 1

Number 1 what, famous AIDS victim? Purveyor of shite music? Ballet enthusiast in pop music? :lol:

To which, your chap Sidney Ferocious got his arse kicked by the biggest poofter in rock.

The majority of the songs rely on Slashs guitar playing. It's strange that a lot of the singles didn't as much. A good song is a good song I guess. But the elemental sound of GNR is Slashs guitar and Axls vocal. That's what is missing from CD, that cohesion. It saves basic songs like Shotgun and Back off bitch. It's just comfy. It's like fair enough. That allows Axls hard rock vocal to shine.

Are you actually sober?

No, he's.....
Working at seriously trying ecstasy demolition.

The majority of the songs rely on Slashs guitar playing. It's strange that a lot of the singles didn't as much. A good song is a good song I guess. But the elemental sound of GNR is Slashs guitar and Axls vocal. That's what is missing from CD, that cohesion. It saves basic songs like Shotgun and Back off bitch. It's just comfy. It's like fair enough. That allows Axls hard rock vocal to shine.

Are you actually sober?

No, he's.....
Working at seriously trying ecstasy demolition.

I cannot wait to see your musings on Chinese Democracy after ecstasy.

Page is overrated and Van Halen did more to ruin guitar orientated music than just about anyone in history. The only one I agree with on that list is May.

Man.... I try and have nice open conversations with you, then you say things like this. If you don't like Page or Van Halen, then more power to you, but this comment is just as ignorant as someone saying "Freddie was overrated and was gay." I like you man, I really do, but you spend this entire thread defending Freddie, than say just as bad of things about Page and EVH as you fought against Mercury haters for doing...

Freddie was overrated and was gay

Pretty accurate really, all told :lol:

I ain't got no problem with Freddie Mercury, he's just an easy target for ridicule. Without wishing to sound rude or prejudice but how can you not laugh at a big half Indian bloke called Fred with a crew cut, a big tache and a leotard on? :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

I think that Axl is a way better frontman that Slash as a guitar player. I mean, Axl is compared with Freddie or Plant, some people like me even consider him the best of all time. But clearly Slash is a few steps before people like May, Hendrix, Clapton, etc. Although, Slash is up there because his sound, technique and personality fits perfectly with Axl, Izzy and Duff's way of playing. No other guitarrist could create or simulate the GNR sound that Slash does. His chemistry with Axl is unique and i think that from that point of view, they're above any other "duet" in rock history.

Thats my point of view on this.

• Like 2

I think that Axl is a way better frontman that Slash as a guitar player. I mean, Axl is compared with Freddie or Plant, some people like me even consider him the best of all time. But clearly Slash is a few steps before people like May, Hendrix, Clapton, etc. Although, Slash is up there because his sound, technique and personality fits perfectly with Axl, Izzy and Duff's way of playing. No other guitarrist could create or simulate the GNR sound that Slash does. His chemistry with Axl is unique and i think that from that point of view, they're above any other "duet" in rock history.

While I agree with this, I think it goes both ways to a certain extent.

But Jagger/Richards, Lennon/McCartney songwriting teams.

It's actually Axl/Izzy writing team that produced a lot of the hits.

I think I've going from winging it to Fuckin' Wingin' It.

Slash is probably the most successful guitarist ever.

This is sort of stating the obvious since every human being who has ever picked up the guitar is about twenty steps below Jimi Hendrix.

• Like 1

Man look, Axl is easily in my personal top 3 frontmen. But that's just me and my opinion.

I bet if you do a poll outside of this forum there are plenty of people who don't consider him in their top 10 list. This doesn't make him worse or even better than he is. To you he remains the best.

I just don't think you can say Axl is up there with Freddie and Jagger while Slash isn't with there with Page and May.

It's a matter of opinion and taste. It's much more than techniques.

Your statement is right to you but it doesn't have to apply to somebody else.

• Like 2

Fact is Axl was a very charismatic frontman and with Slash he had a guitarplayer who was as important to the band's sound as himself.

I don't think there are a lot of guitatists out there who are as important to a band's sound, image, recognition as there lead singer. If you go this way you have to put him up there with Page, Blackmoore, Richards, Angus...

There are some theories on why America fell out of love with Queen and one is, homosexuality. The moment Queen bombed stateside was coincidentally exactly the time when Fred was doing the whole, ''GAY GAY GAY'' thing, adopting the archetypal gay image of short hair, moustache and vests and producing videos as blatantly homosexual as this,

Even the scantly clad women in it, do not somehow stop it from being homosexual!

I am sure I do not need to remind people that America is a fairly conservative country - in some ways, a lot more conservative than the rest of the world. So America consequentially switched off. It did not help that Hot Space was a dreadful album anyway. And then when Queen produced the 'I Want to Break Free' video from The Works period, Americans misinterpreted the British humour, of a Coronation Street pastiche, instead seeing it as a sign of more limey homosexuality. The thing is, Britain has this tradition of, 'loving a good queen'. There is nothing Brits find more amusing then watching Kenneth Williams struggling amidst a bunch of double entendres. We have this tradition of humour which stretches back to variety and drag acts. 'I Want to Break Free' fits into that niche.

Returning to the subject of America, Queen consequentially refused to downsize venues, and rebuild their American fanbase by constant touring; they just stubbornly said, 'fuck America'. Understand that they were picking up 'stadium' markets elsewhere. There is a massive difference both economically and egotistically, going back-and-forward between stadia and theatres. So Queen's American popularity sank, virtually overnight. It was so quick that it gives one the impression that, Queen were never big in America in the first place.

It may have been the stereotypical gay look, but they all (minus Brian May) cut their hair going into the 80s.

And it wasn't just America that misunderstood the video for I Want to Break Free. There's an interview from Brazil where the interviewer keeps asking Fred if he's gay because of that video.

http://youtu.be/4N8MKb01_D8

Edited by luciusfunk

There are some theories on why America fell out of love with Queen and one is, homosexuality. The moment Queen bombed stateside was coincidentally exactly the time when Fred was doing the whole, ''GAY GAY GAY'' thing, adopting the archetypal gay image of short hair, moustache and vests and producing videos as blatantly homosexual as this,

Even the scantly clad women in it, do not somehow stop it from being homosexual!

I am sure I do not need to remind people that America is a fairly conservative country - in some ways, a lot more conservative than the rest of the world. So America consequentially switched off. It did not help that Hot Space was a dreadful album anyway. And then when Queen produced the 'I Want to Break Free' video from The Works period, Americans misinterpreted the British humour, of a Coronation Street pastiche, instead seeing it as a sign of more limey homosexuality. The thing is, Britain has this tradition of, 'loving a good queen'. There is nothing Brits find more amusing then watching Kenneth Williams struggling amidst a bunch of double entendres. We have this tradition of humour which stretches back to variety and drag acts. 'I Want to Break Free' fits into that niche.

Returning to the subject of America, Queen consequentially refused to downsize venues, and rebuild their American fanbase by constant touring; they just stubbornly said, 'fuck America'. Understand that they were picking up 'stadium' markets elsewhere. There is a massive difference both economically and egotistically, going back-and-forward between stadia and theatres. So Queen's American popularity sank, virtually overnight. It was so quick that it gives one the impression that, Queen were never big in America in the first place.

It may have been the stereotypical gay look, but they all (minus Brian May) cut their hair going into the 80s.

And it wasn't just America that misunderstood the video for I Want to Break Free. There's an interview from Brazil where the interviewer keeps asking Fred if he's gay because of that video.

http://youtu.be/4N8MKb01_D8

It is very British humour in that video. Brits love nothing more than laughing at big hairy blokes dressed up as women.