If The World should have been a single.

Well, I always believed If The World to be the most radio friendly song on Chinese Democracy. It has a good beat, a catchy rhythm, easy lyrics and well, a cool vibe overall. Should have been a single. I started showing it to friends of mine who don't like Guns N' Roses - basically all of them - and the result has been what I expected: most of - if not all of them - enjoy it quite a lot, and I've seen some of them singing it around and putting it to play. And what some of they say, "it doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses" is somewhat true.

• Like 2

Maybe if it was a little heavier, it would have been a solid single for the GnR brand..otherwise I'd expect it to get panned from much radio play

Buckethead's outro solo in the track is ace

It should have never been released.

I disagree. I never really liked it, until much recently when I started to listen to it again. I love it now, great song. It's something different, it doesn't fit anywhere in Chinese Democracy. There should have been more songs like this.

I disagree. I never really liked it, until much recently when I started to listen to it again. I love it now, great song. It's something different, it doesn't fit anywhere in Chinese Democracy. There should have been more songs like this.

Instrumental is not bad although there's nothing original about it. What kills it for me is Axl's high annoying voice. Lyrics are hilariously bad.

100% respectfully disagree.

Better was the obvious choice.

Street of Dreams would have been a good one. Sounds like old school GnR.

Then either TWAT or Catcher.

CD was a terrible choice. Boring generic rock song.

Better, If The World and Catcher In the Rye.

Street Of Dreams was too obvious and too old.

The thing is, you need a three minutes song to be a hit, even Better was cut.

Chinese Democracy first, Scraped after... then Better and Madagascar. 4 singles, 4 video clips. CD had a lot of potential. Sad GNR/AXL/Record Company didn´t think this way.

Edited by RnT

Instrumental is not bad although there's nothing original about it. What kills it for me is Axl's high annoying voice. Lyrics are hilariously bad.

No rasp.

Really? Yea the lyrics are bad but it has some great vocals IMO. The verses are all rasp. For all the love the 2010 voice gets around here I'm kinda surprised how many people dislike ITW.

I like it. It was great live when they extended the ending.

edit: ^LOL at Scraped.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

Axl had... HAD... the name brand pull to get whatever he wanted on the radio. He's long blown that chance.

So yes, this song could've been released as a single. And it would promptly disappear off the charts.

Has it ever occurred to you guys that the reason Axl didn't promote this album because he knew it wasn't very good? He fought tooth and nail to prevent its release, for crying out loud.

I'd agree that most of the tracks on Chinese sound pretty awesome as instrumentals if Axl is removed from the mix:

I've no problem with the vocal performance though on ITW, an over-abundance of rasp just wouldn't fit the tone of the song as it is

The instrumentals of CD were amazing! Some really great music was made here, but Axl's vocals and lyrics were not up to par. I think he put too much pressure on himself or simply was listening with a deaf ear.

If the world is incredible live. I love the power, but as a studio release it was lacking. Again Axl didn't do his job as far as taking a cool track and giving it the vocals it deserves.

I think it goes for the rest of the album also. Poor vocals, spotty lyrics and what amounted to a mediocre effort in musical form but a devastatingly bad record in terms of GNR's legacy.

Better and CITR and TWAT are a few songs done right in my opinion, but only having 3 of 14 is terrible.

Edited by IncitingChaos