Going to a wedding - stay at a different hotel than everyone else, or drive home and miss day 2 festivities?

Powerage5

What should I do?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a wedding to attend in two weekends. The wedding is on a Saturday, and there is an additional get-together on Sunday. I admit; I just completely lost track of time over these past six weeks and realize this week that the wedding is in 16 days. I check the hotel where everyone is staying - booked solid. Damn. I live about 4 hours from the city the wedding is happening in, so too far away to go home overnight and come back on Sunday.

This leaves me with two options, and I see pros and cons for both options:

• Option 1: Book a nearby hotel, stay for the Sunday get-together. There are other hotels in the area, this would allow me to still attend the Sunday get-together. The downsides are that I think this makes me look like I can't get my shit together to my friends I haven't seen in a few years (I'm usually really good about planning ahead for this sort of stuff, it completely snuck up on me this time as I've been out of town so frequently since May), and that I imagine it wouldn't be particularly fun. It eliminates the option to drink all night in the hotel bar and just stumble back to my room.

• Option 2: Go home after the reception. This eliminates the possibility of me attending the Sunday get-together. Of course that's the big downside (The other one being I wouldn't be able to drink at the reception), but the upsides are that I save $130 on the hotel room, plus it's easier to save face to my friends (I can just say I'm busy Sunday and unable to stay).

Staying with a friend who is going to the wedding isn't a viable option - literally all of my friends who are attending are attending with their S/O's, so rooming together is out. Neither option seems particularly ideal, so I'm looking to see what you guys would do given the same situation.

If you want to go to the get together go get the second hotel room. I attended the wedding of my ex's friend a few years ago. Since my ex was in the wedding, she stayed in the room with the girls and I got a local motel. It was a good time and I loved a night to myself.

I'm in similar situation, cousin is getting married in Mexico and I can't afford the resort and same dates but I can get some overlapping dates and stay in an AirBNB for £10 a night...

Just book a different place if you want to see festivities, you'll save money, and if anyone thinks less of you for it then it's hard to call them a friend.

• Like 1

Personally I would drive and leave after the reception or buy a sleeping bag and kip in the car!

If all your friends are part of a friendship group you will all attend a ton of weddings over the next 20 years, there will be a load of more opportunities when you're better prepared.

I'm in similar situation, cousin is getting married in Mexico and I can't afford the resort and same dates but I can get some overlapping dates and stay in an AirBNB for £10 a night...

Just book a different place if you want to see festivities, you'll save money, and if anyone thinks less of you for it then it's hard to call them a friend.

I've always wanted to ask a me-skinned person that travels a lot, do you get a lot of grief going in and out of countrys for looking like you should be dressed in fatigues by the side of an Afghan peak clutching a machine gun with a less than jolly expression on your face?

I've always wanted to ask a me-skinned person that travels a lot, do you get a lot of grief going in and out of countrys for looking like you should be dressed in fatigues by the side of an Afghan peak clutching a machine gun with a less than jolly expression on your face?

In Brazil a few people thought I was Argentinian :P I get mixed up with tons of different races/ethnicities, had people speaking Portuguese, Spanish, Arabic, Hindi, Urdu to me... :lol:

Tbf I've only had a handful of racist encounters in my life. One was in London where some drunk guy tried to burn a cigarette in my hand but he was so fucked he missed :lol: Another one was in Virginia where some relative of an in-law cracked a comment about me being the help or something (think he thought I was Mexican). I would have punched him if he wasn't a sad old fart.

Everywhere else has been fine for me :shrugs: Accent prob helps, I remember the mum of an American relative who was from South Carolina said, "Listen to his accent, it is so REFIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNEEED!" :lol:

I'd still ask some of them and tell them you'll chip in for the room, esp. if you can tell they're struggling with money, plus you can keep tabs to see if a room opens up, someone usually cancels at the last minute.

If you see them all the time, the Sunday get together is kind of pointless. If it's a once in a great while and you don't know when you'll see some of them again, I'd stick around.

Pool areas are a great place to crash if you're able to get access.

I booked an AirBNB the day I got an invite for a wedding in Swansea. Wedding was last weekend, they key was left in a keysafe by the front door and I was given the code. 6 bedroom house (though the other bedrooms were locked), had the place to myself for the night, choice of 2 bathrooms to poo in. Put key back in keysafe noon next day, got a text a few hours later thanking me for keeping the place tidy. Never even seen or spoke to the owner. £23.

10/10 would opt for zero human interaction again

• Like 1