The Hateful Eight - New/Second Trailer!

RussTCB

I've watched it 4 times now. Seemed to get better on rewatch. I missed a lot. Still not sure about the red jelly bean.

When the Domergue gang showed up at Minnie's, they shot her through the jellybean jar, blowing it up. That's why there's a bean on the floor and an empty space on top of the cabinet.

That seems right. I totally didn't get that the first 3 times.

I like how it all makes sense on a slightly deeper level than just hillbillies v negroes. The first few times I just saw it on a shallow level.

Also the opening cross jesus thing. I just thought it was a cool spaghetti image. But I suppose it's like here's the sinners.

Just the elaborateness with which they cover their asses. Flushing the guns down a toilet that you have to horizontal mountain climb.

It seems like the smartest QT movie. I didn't really look for anything in Djongo or Inglorious. But H8

Does seem to have sub text. I wonder if it's True Detective meet GOT influence.

• Like 1

I've watched it 4 times now. Seemed to get better on rewatch. I missed a lot. Still not sure about the red jelly bean.

When the Domergue gang showed up at Minnie's, they shot her through the jellybean jar, blowing it up. That's why there's a bean on the floor and an empty space on top of the cabinet.

Yeah, it's Sam Jackson's character understanding that something is amiss in the cabin. It also foreshadows the guy hiding under the floor.

I just love it, it's a slow and careful character study, then becomes a classic 'Clue' style murder mystery, then dissolves into mass violence and panic. The movie tells a really gritty and nihilistic take about what happens when you take a handful of people in a broken and emotional country(just slightly after The Civil War) and shove them in a cabin together.

It highlights the really shitty and cynical parts of the American West, and what loneliness, desperation, and survival does to people, and the disgusting lengths they will go to keep themselves alive.

The Revenant essentially tells a similar tale, but it's a story of the disgusting toll survivalism takes on a person, with a more honorable, and less outwardly nihilistic approach.

The Revenant ends with Glass getting revenge for his sons murder, accepting that judgment is reserved for a higher power, and realizing that his pain won't end, not matter how great and brutal his survivalist journey was.

Hateful Eight ends with two characters brutally hanging the person who caused their imminent death. They're both dying, and Sam Jackson openly uses that as an excuse to brutally murder and enjoy the death of another human being, and we do too, because our two 'heros' are the only characters in the movie we can relate two, because they were the only bystanders in the movie. The Hangman and everyone else all picked a side in the plot twist of the movie. Everyone makes a decision on or against the side of Daisy Domergue except Sam Jackson and the Sheriff, who we are forced to root for even though they are both awful and do terrible brutal things

So how does Sam L and Goggins end up on the same team?

Are Damogue like terrorists in the US.

It's white v black until ISIS turn up?

Yeah, it's Sam Jackson's character understanding that something is amiss in the cabin. It also foreshadows the guy hiding under the floor.

I just love it, it's a slow and careful character study, then becomes a classic 'Clue' style murder mystery, then dissolves into mass violence and panic. The movie tells a really gritty and nihilistic take about what happens when you take a handful of people in a broken and emotional country(just slightly after The Civil War) and shove them in a cabin together.

It highlights the really shitty and cynical parts of the American West, and what loneliness, desperation, and survival does to people, and the disgusting lengths they will go to keep themselves alive.

The Revenant essentially tells a similar tale, but it's a story of the disgusting toll survivalism takes on a person, with a more honorable, and less outwardly nihilistic approach.

The Revenant ends with Glass getting revenge for his sons murder, accepting that judgment is reserved for a higher power, and realizing that his pain won't end, not matter how great and brutal his survivalist journey was.

Hateful Eight ends with two characters brutally hanging the person who caused their imminent death. They're both dying, and Sam Jackson openly uses that as an excuse to brutally murder and enjoy the death of another human being, and we do too, because our two 'heros' are the only characters in the movie we can relate two, because they were the only bystanders in the movie. The Hangman and everyone else all picked a side in the plot twist of the movie. Everyone makes a decision on or against the side of Daisy Domergue except Sam Jackson and the Sheriff, who we are forced to root for even though they are both awful and do terrible brutal things

They're an allegiance formed by fear and surviva. Neither of them understand the events going on around them until it is too late, and they team up and put their differences to the side for a moment so that they can survive and get out of the mess they are in

They're an allegiance formed by fear and surviva. Neither of them understand the events going on around them until it is too late, and they team up and put their differences to the side for a moment so that they can survive and get out of the mess they are in
But they both die and hang that guy just for one last laugh?

It was a bit like that scene in Res Dogs where they are all dying after getting shot. But there seemed to be no irony or further meaning. Even though I'm not sure what the meaning was. Suppose all the civil war history snd race stuff just have more weight. Whereas the criminals that shot each other it's oh well that was cool.

It was a bit like that scene in Res Dogs where they are all dying after getting shot. But there seemed to be no irony or further meaning. Even though I'm not sure what the meaning was. Suppose all the civil war history snd race stuff just have more weight. Whereas the criminals that shot each other it's oh well that was cool.

It was a bit like that scene in Res Dogs where they are all dying after getting shot. But there seemed to be no irony or further meaning

It's just an example of nihilism in humans I suppose, in both cases. When you lose the ability to survive, or it loses its importance as a facto (in both cases, fatal wounds) then people are capable of doing some pretty fucked up stuff, for no explaination other than 'the world is shitty, people are shitty, and when death is at the door, that's when you really tap into the evil in humanity'.

At least that's my thoughts on the scene, still haven't watched a second time, will be doing that today

Inglorious is easily his worst.

I'd put it in his top three.

I'm gonna re-watch Hateful 8 tonight, as of now I still think it was too much of a 'slow burn' but it was pretty good overall.

Can I just put everything in my top 3? :lol: Seriously, for me, ranking Tarantino films is like choosing a favorite kid - I love them all so damn much.

Gun to my head, I'd probably rank them as such:

1. Pulp Fiction

2. The Hateful Eight

3. Django Unchained

4. Inglorious Basterds

5. Kill Bill Vol. 2

6. Reservoir Dogs

7. Kill Bill Vol. 1

8. Jackie Brown

9. Death Proof

Elmore Leonard combined with blaxploitation? It may have been the single best idea Tarantino had in his career.

Word. Jackie Brown was great. I'm kinda tossing around the idea that Hateful Eight may be one of his best films ever, but I need a few months before I can be held to that.

He's clearly been experimenting with revenge and retribution in his last few films, and I think this is the only one that really nails it, and instead of retribution gives us hollow nihilistic vengeance.

• Like 1

It was a bit like that scene in Res Dogs where they are all dying after getting shot. But there seemed to be no irony or further meaning

It's just an example of nihilism in humans I suppose, in both cases. When you lose the ability to survive, or it loses its importance as a facto (in both cases, fatal wounds) then people are capable of doing some pretty fucked up stuff, for no explaination other than 'the world is shitty, people are shitty, and when death is at the door, that's when you really tap into the evil in humanity'.

At least that's my thoughts on the scene, still haven't watched a second time, will be doing that today

It was also so they didn't lose. Like if she survived. You could say it's a situation where no one has any perspective. The characters never really go let's all just chill. Well, Tim Roth does. But he's English. What an idiot.

I felt like the horror of the end kind pointed backwards to the issues discussed maybe. All the Civil War stuff, there seemed like there was more of a point than in any other movie of his. It wasn't just a "bucket of scorpions".

It's like Tatum ruined everything to me, what the heck is he doing here.

Shout out to Kurt Russell, he was truly awesome. Gonna see Bone Tomahawk.

Best movie since Jackie Brown.

I wouldn't say Tatum ruined it for me, but I did feel he was out of place. I don't mind the guy - I think he does well in films he's fit for (and he's pretty damn funny in 21 Jump Street), but I definitely think someone else should have been in his place for this movie.

Also, was I the only one also slightly bothered at how over the top the Mexican dude was?! I don't know if I loved it or hated it :lol:

the more i watch it the more and more i love it. its definitely top 3 for me.

you can watch it 100 times you will still be entertained. Not like Django or Inglorious.

It's like Tatum ruined everything to me, what the heck is he doing here.

Shout out to Kurt Russell, he was truly awesome. Gonna see Bone Tomahawk.

Best movie since Jackie Brown.

I wouldn't say Tatum ruined it for me, but I did feel he was out of place. I don't mind the guy - I think he does well in films he's fit for (and he's pretty damn funny in 21 Jump Street), but I definitely think someone else should have been in his place for this movie.

Also, was I the only one also slightly bothered at how over the top the Mexican dude was?! I don't know if I loved it or hated it :lol:

Not effort what so ever, at least grow a beard or something. Tatum's character almost felt like an anachronism to the story.

Yes I thought he was Alfred Molina first. His accent wasn't that great, and he was bad at playing piano. He's a gringo.