Fortus says that 2016 will be a big year for GN'R

For the first part, go listen to the AFD multitracks. Listen to UYI. 3 guitars needed is absolute bullshit.

For the second. You'll never know if I'm pulling it out of my ass and I don't have to prove anything to you. Yes, you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Axl DID harmonize. Most vocals tracks are layered with several takes to achieve thickness. Unless you're someone like Dio with tremendous power. And the proper setup is for the bass to be in the middle. Why? Because bass is to be mono unless it is some industrial bullshit. Guitars are in stereo and THATS why you end up with several guitar tracks. Several tracks with slightly different parts makes it seem much wider and larger. Even bands with simple riffs like Metallica will record a handful of guitar tracks. Does that mean they need extra guitarists? It's large enough live with 2 guitarists when you aren't pressed for frequencies such as in a mix.

And GNR WERE the biggest attraction with Slash and Izzy/Gilby. They didn't need another guitarist. If you want to talk about CD, there's a good reason why that album sounds like messy shit. TOO MUCH SHIT.

Yes, if you need 3 guitarists to capture the energy that 2 guitarists are capable of, someone is slacking or someone is too picky(Axl). The latter.

Go watch Mike Clink interviews, he is a strong believer in making the album sound like the band instead of the other way around. Along with engineers like Albini. If you can't create it live, don't fuckin' bother. If you want to be a studio band, go for your 32 piece band.

There was a really good video a few years back where GN'R's live engineer (can't remember his name, he had some daft nickname) broke down a live performance of SCOM and showed the part that all 3 guitars play in the mix. It sounded fantastic. Richard's said on several occasions that he's often replicating the third track that was recorded during the original sessions, that stuff wasn't put there for no reason, it does serve a purpose.

You think people are there to hear the third guitar of SCOM? 1 part and 1 part only makes the hair stand up. You do know that most guitars in modern rock can end up with as many as 8 tracks on their songs, right? Most of the time it is simply to thicken the tone and to make it larger. That's it. 2 guitarists handled it before.

GNR aren't some special band that require more guitarists than every other band out there. no no no no no no.

Not wasting anymore time arguing with you on such basic shit. You can't separate your personal preferences from facts, and just because you repeat stupid shit doesn't make it true. No no no it does not. Nice try though.

All you've proved to me and everyone else here with a functioning brain is that again: you have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe someone else can suggest useful youtube clips and tips that can help you better understand why the shit you said in this thread is laughable. Especially when you deliver your horseshit with such confidence.

Edited by Rovim

Name the 3 guitarist bands in rock, Rovim. Are you seriously foolish enough to suggest that GNR are the first band to ever layer guitars?

Yep, what this band REALLY needed was a third guitarist! :rofl-lol:

Fleetwood Mac, Iron Maiden, Radiohead, The Eagles...I can go on.

You talk about layering guitars like it's something that is not important enough to recreate live. That's a big mistake.

And it's not like there is only one way to use 3 guitars in a band. Not all 3 guitar bands are the same, some use it more to harmonize leads for example, others to fatten the sound, to make it bigger, or to create a tapestry of sounds cause each guitar player has his distinct voice.

For Guns, all 3 guitars on Appetite mattered and I have listened to them carefully for years. Illusions lacked that interplay and diversity between the 3 guitars on appetite, cause Slash has his own lead playing style and rhythm playing style, and together with Izzy's guitar you could really understand the impact that can be achieved by 3 guitars.

And the old performances of the old band are great. Still sounds empty compared to the records and to post old Guns live performances.

Edited by Rovim

There was a really good video a few years back where GN'R's live engineer (can't remember his name, he had some daft nickname) broke down a live performance of SCOM and showed the part that all 3 guitars play in the mix. It sounded fantastic. Richard's said on several occasions that he's often replicating the third track that was recorded during the original sessions, that stuff wasn't put there for no reason, it does serve a purpose.

You think people are there to hear the third guitar of SCOM? 1 part and 1 part only makes the hair stand up. You do know that most guitars in modern rock can end up with as many as 8 tracks on their songs, right? Most of the time it is simply to thicken the tone and to make it larger. That's it. 2 guitarists handled it before.

GNR aren't some special band that require more guitarists than every other band out there. no no no no no no.

I don't really care what 'people' are there to hear. I know what I've heard with my own ears and I thought it sounded fucking fantastic. So, to me personally, the 3rd guitar is important and I will argue for its continued role.

There's a difference between doubling up tracks and having three separate parts... I do play and sing and I have been involved in the recording of multiple records, some of which have had 12 different guitar tracks and 8 vocal tracks, but there's a difference between recording the same part multiple times to thicken the sound and the total exclusion of a part of the composition. The 3rd guitar tracks are pieces of music in their own right, not just replications of the lead and the rhythm, they serve a role when you listen to any GN'R record. If they had no value then they wouldn't have been laid down as separate musical parts... I think the 3 guitar live approach is properly representative of the GN'R sound.

• Like 1

Name the 3 guitarist bands in rock, Rovim. Are you seriously foolish enough to suggest that GNR are the first band to ever layer guitars?

You talk about layering guitars like it's something that is not important enough to recreate live. That's a big mistake.

And it's not like there is only one way to use 3 guitars in a band. Not all 3 guitar bands are the same, some use it more to harmonize leads for example, others to fatten the sound, to make it bigger, or to create a tapestry of sounds cause each guitar player has his distinct voice.

For Guns, all 3 guitars on Appetite mattered and I have listened to them carefully for years. Illusions lacked that interplay and diversity between the 3 guitars on appetite, cause Slash has his own lead playing style and rhythm playing style, and together with Izzy's guitar you could really understand the impact that can be achieved by 3 guitars.

And the old performances of the old band are great. Still sounds empty compared to the records and to post old Guns live performances.

Hipotetically GN'R deserves to be a 3 guitar players band, since I agree it's important to recreate the studio sound.

However, I have to say that (imo), in reality, only in 2002 the 3 guitars thing sounded good or as I think it should sound (just my opinion...). In 2001 Paul was a mess, 2006 and 2007 Ron approached the CD songs in some very questionable ways, and since Dj joined, the different tones and guitar parts just seem to be one over the other without any harmony most of the time. There are some exceptions (mostly between Ron and Richard) for sure, sometimes the 3 guitars sound great when doing harmonies or some specific parts of songs. But it seems that in most of the AFD and UYI songs, there are most of the time at least 2 guitar players just strumming the power chords and it sounds a little bit over the top.

I do think that, if you work it the right way (like in 2002, when BH had no problem with just staying silent for some parts of the songs), the 3 guitars thing is a good way to go. But truth is, it's very hard to make it happen

Edit: Still, the band sounded great when I saw them live in 2010, but it's the only time I've seen GN'R live so it wouldn't be fair to compare. I'm comparing based on bootlegs only

Edited by BreakDown2014

Please go on. Harmonies like those with Fleetwood, Maiden, the Eagles and Skynyrd are NOTHING like Guns N Roses. Harmonies of separate octaves are not what GNR did/do. You are completely ignoring that until the CD era, 3 guitarists were not needed. They really still aren't.

The third guitars an AFD are fills thrown in for dynamics and there is nothing make or break about the parts. You can solo the guitar channels and it is still the same damn song. To copy it track for track is nothing but excess that is most often sloppy and a wall of shit.

I don't really care what 'people' are there to hear. I know what I've heard with my own ears and I thought it sounded fucking fantastic. So, to me personally, the 3rd guitar is important and I will argue for its continued role.

There's a difference between doubling up tracks and having three separate parts... I do play and sing and I have been involved in the recording of multiple records, some of which have had 12 different guitar tracks and 8 vocal tracks, but there's a difference between recording the same part multiple times to thicken the sound and the total exclusion of a part of the composition. The 3rd guitar tracks are pieces of music in their own right, not just replications of the lead and the rhythm, they serve a role when you listen to any GN'R record. If they had no value then they wouldn't have been laid down as separate musical parts... I think the 3 guitar live approach is properly representative of the GN'R sound.

It does matter what people are there to hear. They are there to hear the notorious lead riff, not the ghost track.

You aren't playing the same thing repeatedly even with the same riff. You, play separate octaves, a & p harmonics, change guitars, DI with impulses, different heads and cabs, mic positioning, ambience blending and etc. All of these things on just one channel cannot be duplicated by 1 guitarist. At what point does one say enough is enough live? If you're trying to recreate the album, even 3 won't cut it. 2 have perfected it before in GNR and there is nothing being added by a third guitarist that sets it apart from what Slash and Izzy did.

Again, it's not classical. It's just a rock band.

Do they know how fucking dumb they sound when they say shit like this?

Probably, but do they really have a choice?

If you ask me, I feel sympathy for the guy. Bumblefoot says how it is, and axl with a side of team brazil give him hell for it. Ashba says something positive and the internet freaks out because they know he's lying and it's GNR future talk without reunion involvement so...yeah.

I wonder what he will say in 2016

"2017 will be a big year for GNR"

To be fair, if a reunion is in the works, he technically isn't lying.

He's got access to the internet like everyone else :)

lol well, I will admit I didn't hear the whole thing but, I didn't hear where he said directly he was going to be involved, just that 2016 will be a "big year for GNR fans" so...

Might get bashed for saying this but I gotta say that if you listen to the clip, 4tus sounds quite a bit different than he usually does on the subject of GN'R. Usually he barely acknowledges the questions, brushes them off and quickly moves on. Outside of being dodgy on directly answering the guitarist question, the dude sounds really excited in the clip.

Absolutely.

It seems fairly evident that Fortus has been told stuff, and that he is genuinely excited.

When you're playing the politician, you don't talk like how Fortus talked in that interview.

Now obviously, plans are one thing, and plans being carried out are something else. I hope Axl (and Slash?) succeed in their plan.

seems weird that people feel Fortus could be in on something when he was recently talking about being unable to work directly with Slash out of respect for Axl.

that boy is twisting in the wind just like the rest of them.

Richard is a session guitar player that was hired by Axl 13 years ago. Axl is his boss, if there was some kind of reconciliation between Axl and Slash, Fortus will probably love to work with Slash.

It's nothing personal, Richard seems to have a ton of respect for Slash. But he wants to keep his job, so why piss off your boss.

Not saying it's an ideal way to go through life, but I think that's the reason Richard is being careful.

He did sound excited in that interview about 2016, but who knows? I'll just wait and see.

Edited by Rovim

People having new members around - Fortus, Frank - in a 'reunion' would only produce a Frankenstein's monster freakish hybrid which is not good for anyone. I do not want anyone connected with that period to gatecrash the party.

Gilby at least has the decency to be connected with the old band era, to have played on a studio album and to carry the endorsement of Slash and Duff.

GNR doesn't need to be some dream team of musicians. All that matters is the question: "can these guys mesh together?" Gilby worked.

I have no reason to think Fortus would work or Frank. Sorum and Adler along with Izzy and Gilby have shown they can mesh together. 1 of those drummers and 1 of those guitarists need to be there or it will be a half-assed reunion.