Fortus says that 2016 will be a big year for GN'R

GNR has never needed three guitarists.

All those albums you revere have three guitar parts.

By 2 guitar players. I think he meant live he doesn't think there's a need for 3 guitarists. I disagree with that opinion. The guitar parts should sound as full as the albums imo.

Edited by Rovim

Might get bashed for saying this but I gotta say that if you listen to the clip, 4tus sounds quite a bit different than he usually does on the subject of GN'R. Usually he barely acknowledges the questions, brushes them off and quickly moves on. Outside of being dodgy on directly answering the guitarist question, the dude sounds really excited in the clip.

• Like 2

I hope I'm alive by then. lol

Does Richard get his info from space or does he actually talk to Axl?

I guess we can count on Richard being a guitar player and now that Slash and Axl are talking, maybe Slash. Then GNR won't need a 3rd guitar player.

See you in 2016.

Well, he said 2012 would be big and 2014 too. We had tours those years, so... anyone up for more apetite for democracy tour?

As long as Axl is in GNR and comes to Dallas on tour, I will be there. I never get sick of hearing GNR songs.

Since it'll be over 3 years, I guess Axl will be up for another 2 or 3 years of touring and no new music released. Sounds about right.

GNR is the only band I would consider seeing until I'm too old to stand.

Might get bashed for saying this but I gotta say that if you listen to the clip, 4tus sounds quite a bit different than he usually does on the subject of GN'R. Usually he barely acknowledges the questions, brushes them off and quickly moves on. Outside of being dodgy on directly answering the guitarist question, the dude sounds really excited in the clip.

He even almost slips and says "next year is gonna be a big sur....year for Guns N Roses." Its sounds like he was going to say "big surprise"

I too think he sounds a bit different than usual, much more excited rather than just going through the motions of answering.

By 2 guitar players. I think he meant live he doesn't think there's a need for 3 guitarists. I disagree with that opinion. The guitar parts should sound as full as the albums imo.

They do. More noise and more bass in everything. It's louder. If 2 guitars isn't enough, the guitar players or the equipment are shit.

• Like 1

They do. More noise and more bass in everything. It's louder. If 2 guitars isn't enough, the guitar players or the equipment are shit.

That argument is ridiculous, that's like writing a piece of vocal music with three simultaneous harmony parts and then saying that if only two singers can't pull the whole thing off live then the singers must be terrible.

That argument is ridiculous, that's like writing a piece of vocal music with three simultaneous harmony parts and then saying that if only two singers can't pull the whole thing off live then the singers must be terrible.

Do you play?

There comes a point where people aren't going to hear the shit anyways. It's so blended that it is only louder. Outside of fills and solos, 2 guitars on rhythm is fine. There is nothing that nugnr is doing with 3 guitarists that the original band didn't achieve with 2.

We are talking about distorted guitar, not vocals.

Just because you use 2(or more) separate rhythm tracks along with a lead to fill out a mix does not mean that you need 2 rhythm guitarists along with the lead.

GNR aren't classical ffs.

2016 may be the year when the band announce the 2017 appetite for destruction 30th anniversary reunion tour.

but GN'R itself exists 30 years this year, and they do no damn shit, only leaving members, so the anniversary of the album would be more of a big deal than guns itself? In GN'R logic ok fair enough, but in general logic?

Do you play?

There comes a point where people aren't going to hear the shit anyways. It's so blended that it is only louder. Outside of fills and solos, 2 guitars on rhythm is fine. There is nothing that nugnr is doing with 3 guitarists that the original band didn't achieve with 2.

Just because you use 2(or more) separate rhythm tracks along with a lead to fill out a mix does not mean that you need 2 rhythm guitarists along with the lead.

What an ignorant post. Do yourself a favor and don't talk about shit you clearly know nothing about. Your previous post was equally as horrid and false as this horseshit you just spewed.

But yeah, GNR aren't classical so there is no need for 3 guitar players. :facepalm:

Edited by Rovim

Do you play?

What an ignorant post. Do yourself a favor and don't talk about shit you clearly know nothing about. Your previous post was equally as horrid and false as this horseshit you just spewed.

But yeah, GNR aren't classical. :facepalm:

I am talking about something I know about. lol

Too many guitars sound loose. Sloppiness for the sake of loudness is retarded.

If you're trying to recreate the GNR albums on stage. You will need several vocalists since most vocals are layered. Axl harmonized. Better bring the backup singers back. Better put the bass amp in the middle. WTF are you even going to a rock show for if you expect them to recreate a perfected recording process?

Seriously, it's like you guys think GNR were the first band to ever record more than 2 separate guitar tracks. :lol:

GNR were the biggest attraction using 2 guitarists. If it takes 3 to recreate what they did with 2, yes, that is pathetic.

And by the way, they make pitch and harmony pedals for a reason.

Edited by Rustycage

2016 may be the year when the band announce the 2017 appetite for destruction 30th anniversary reunion tour.

Reunion would mean total fiasco of Axl's vision so I doubt it's gonna happen unless Axl needs money

Axl's vision has been a nearly 20 year fiasco. Enough with it already.

If you're trying to recreate the GNR albums on stage. You will need several vocalists since most vocals are layered. Axl harmonized. Better bring the backup singers back. Better put the bass amp in the middle. WTF are you even going to a rock show for if you expect them to recreate a perfected recording process?

Seriously, it's like you guys think GNR were the first band to ever record more than 2 separate guitar tracks. :lol:

GNR were the biggest attraction using 2 guitarists. If it takes 3 to recreate what they did with 2, yes, that is pathetic.

No, it takes 3 guitars to recreate 3 guitars. How hard is that for you to comprehend? it doesn't sound as full live with only 2 cause they were 3 recorded on the album.

And I won't even address the other nonsense you just pulled from your ass. This is not me trying to argue for the sake of argument, what you said really is not true.

It has nothing to do with the ability of the guitar players, it was on the album for a reason. Especially with a guitar heavy band like Guns, that shit matters and you can clearly hear the difference if you compare old shows to new Guns shows if you're not deaf.

A full sound, with all the guitar parts played. Check out Nightrain from old Guns Chicago 1992 for example and then watch Nightrain from Rock Am Ring 2006.

The sound is full, and the performances from old Guns sounds empty in comparison and it makes perfect sense too.

Not talking about the quality of the performance itself, but with 3 guitars, it doesn't sound empty anymore. Of course it takes space so the sound is muddier and the bass player is harder to hear, but at least you get to hear all the guitar parts and the song how it is supposed to be played. It also sounds way more powerful which again, is why it has been recorded with Slash's rhythm track, Izzy's, and Slash's lead track.

Why not recreate that live, if you can? especially if you're Axl who appreciates the advantages of a 3 guitar players set up.

Edited by Rovim

There was a really good video a few years back where GN'R's live engineer (can't remember his name, he had some daft nickname) broke down a live performance of SCOM and showed the part that all 3 guitars play in the mix. It sounded fantastic. Richard's said on several occasions that he's often replicating the third track that was recorded during the original sessions, that stuff wasn't put there for no reason, it does serve a purpose.

Do you play?

But yeah, GNR aren't classical. :facepalm:

No, it takes 3 guitars to recreate 3 guitars. How hard is that for you to comprehend? it doesn't sound as full live with only 2 cause they were 3 recorded on the album.

And I won't even address the other nonsense you just pulled from your ass. This is not me trying to argue for the sake of argument, what you said really is not true.

For the first part, go listen to the AFD multitracks. Listen to UYI. 3 guitars needed is absolute bullshit.

For the second. You'll never know if I'm pulling it out of my ass and I don't have to prove anything to you. Yes, you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Axl DID harmonize. Most vocals tracks are layered with several takes to achieve thickness. Unless you're someone like Dio with tremendous power. And the proper setup is for the bass to be in the middle. Why? Because bass is to be mono unless it is some industrial bullshit. Guitars are in stereo and THATS why you end up with several guitar tracks. Several tracks with slightly different parts makes it seem much wider and larger. Even bands with simple riffs like Metallica will record a handful of guitar tracks. Does that mean they need extra guitarists? It's large enough live with 2 guitarists when you aren't pressed for frequencies such as in a mix.

And GNR WERE the biggest attraction with Slash and Izzy/Gilby. They didn't need another guitarist. If you want to talk about CD, there's a good reason why that album sounds like messy shit. TOO MUCH SHIT.

Yes, if you need 3 guitarists to capture the energy that 2 guitarists are capable of, someone is slacking or someone is too picky(Axl). The latter.

Go watch Mike Clink interviews, he is a strong believer in making the album sound like the band instead of the other way around. Along with engineers like Albini. If you can't create it live, don't fuckin' bother. If you want to be a studio band, go for your 32 piece band.

There was a really good video a few years back where GN'R's live engineer (can't remember his name, he had some daft nickname) broke down a live performance of SCOM and showed the part that all 3 guitars play in the mix. It sounded fantastic. Richard's said on several occasions that he's often replicating the third track that was recorded during the original sessions, that stuff wasn't put there for no reason, it does serve a purpose.

You think people are there to hear the third guitar of SCOM? 1 part and 1 part only makes the hair stand up. You do know that most guitars in modern rock can end up with as many as 8 tracks on their songs, right? Most of the time it is simply to thicken the tone and to make it larger. That's it. 2 guitarists handled it before.

GNR aren't some special band that require more guitarists than every other band out there. no no no no no no.

• Like 2