Gilby Clarke on the Reunion: "I don't think it's going to happen"

1. Izzy

2. Gilby

3. NO ONE ELSE

This.

Untalented, unimportant, useless hacks? No, thanks.

Fortus is untalented? Last i saw his chops were pretty damn good.

This. I saw one of the shows he did with Thin Lizzy - the guy can certainly play!

His ... contribution to Illusion

Is, however small, a contribution to original songs on two major Guns N' Roses studio albums as an instrumentalist, which Gilby did not achieve in his time with GNR.

Whether or not you agree that his playing on the songs is needed is irrelevant. He played on multiple songs on the Illusions and was a member of the band for two of their three major studio albums. Gilby played on zero original songs and was only in the band for a tour and a covers album.

• Like 1

1. Izzy

2. Gilby

3. NO ONE ELSE

This.

This. I saw one of the shows he did with Thin Lizzy - the guy can certainly play!

Nosaj really should upload a video of himself playing guitar so we can all compare it to Fortus and make a clear evaluation of who the untalented one is..

The only people that know anything are Duff, Axl and Slash. Anyone else is irrelevant. If the reunion is being put together it is in very early stages, the leaks will happen when they start booking venues. The only way to keep this a secret is to keep it between Axl, Slash and Duff.

I agree, but I could also see Izzy being in on it (I mean he's so secretive, he wouldn't let anything leak, and people say he and Axl are like brothers), even if he won't be heavily involved with whatever reunion plans might be in the works. If this is happening (and I think some sort of reunion is happening), I wouldn't expect any Illusion additions (so Sorum, Gilby, Dizzy) to know about it at this stage. I could see Sorum getting info earlier than Adler though. Depending on what exactly is being planned

This hack's opinion is irrelevant. He was a glorified session guy. He played on a few covers, fair enough - but didn't play on any original material whatsoever.

I feel bad for him that he never got to.

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

If Izzy bails out, then they should really call Gilby, he can actually play

He's a good dude who can play the axe but was hired because of his Izzy vibe, which made him forever an Izzy replacement in the eyes of most fans. There's no doubt he's talented though; Pawnshop Guitars is solid. I reckon he lacks some charisma required to be a lead guitarist but he's great on rhythm guitar.

Who wants to see a Frankenstein hybrid, half-way house, ''reunion''? Everybody agrees here that Stradlin is first choice but if you cannot get him and get Gilby you are at least reuniting to 1992-93 era. A ''reunion'' with Fortus would not be a reunion. It would be a line-up that has never existed before.

Hmm...I think it would still qualify as a reunion of sorts, but I agree. I got nothing against Fortus and I dig Chinese Democracy and the Axl Rose band, but if they do a reunion then they should do it right (or do it as right as they possibly can).

Some people just have this strange fascination with Chi Dem era GN'R and don't want to let it go...so even in the face of the band crumbling and a reunion looking very possible, they imagine a reunion that includes two people (Fortus and Frank) who have nothing to do with what is being reunited (a band that existed in 85-94). I mean, by some stroke of good fortune these guys are all still alive and in relatively good health, so there is no reason for a half baked reunion when you can get a proper one.

Edited by KBear

Watching Rusty annihilate his own logic to somehow argue Fortus makes sense in a GNR reunion but Gilby doesn't is really quite amusing.

I question your reading ability.

I question your ability to make an argument that doesn't suffocate itself.

Watching Rusty annihilate his own logic to somehow argue Fortus makes sense in a GNR reunion but Gilby doesn't is really quite amusing.

Actually he never said this.

All he's saying is both of them are equally unimportant for a reunion. But circumstances do open the door for Richard a little bit more since he's in the band for some time now and Axl trusts him.

If I had to choose one outside of Izzy it would be clearly Gilby, because to me it's more of a reunion with him. This guy played the UYI tour.

Edited by Free Bird

1. Izzy

2. Gilby

3. NO ONE ELSE

This.

I was referring to worthless waste of air, Paul Tobias. We don't need a Fortus-type of guitar player on rhythm when you have Slash on lead - that's why I think Gilby is the way to go if Izzy is not available or interested.

Somewhere around 3/4 of the way through. Steven Adler had just left Trunk's interview, bumped into Gilby Clarke on the way out, and then Trunk asks Gilby about the reunion rumors.

http://masiweb.net/eddietrunk/MP3/EddieTrunk-SiriusXM_2015-09-28.mp3

I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I think Steven sounds cocky as fuck in this interview. He truly sounds full of himself.

"I was on Civil War, which is the Illusions' greatest song!"

"I wouldn't mind sharing the drums with Sorum 'cause I'd get to play the good songs anyway!"

"Sorum and Gilby were just hired hands!"

:facepalm:

Somewhere around 3/4 of the way through. Steven Adler had just left Trunk's interview, bumped into Gilby Clarke on the way out, and then Trunk asks Gilby about the reunion rumors.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I think Steven sounds cocky as fuck in this interview. He truly sounds full of himself.

"I wouldn't mind sharing the drums with Sorum 'cause I'd get to play the good songs anyway!"

just as cocky as he should be since he is the drummer of the best band ever and he created the drums on the best album ever and he can play those songs better than anyone on this planet

just as cocky as he should be since he is the drummer of the best band ever and he created the drums on the best album ever and he can play those songs better than anyone on this planet

He shouldn't because his big mouth could cost him the chance of being the fifth musician in the reunion -- if that ever happens. Sure, he was on AFD, which I love, but he was acting like he was a God, while belittling what others did after him. I cringed around 50000 times listening to that interview.

• Like 1

1. Izzy

2. Gilby

3. NO ONE ELSE

This.

I was referring to worthless waste of air, Paul Tobias. We don't need a Fortus-type of guitar player on rhythm when you have Slash on lead - that's why I think Gilby is the way to go if Izzy is not available or interested.

Fair enough. For me, if Izzy isnt involved id be fine with Gilby or Fortus (if Slash is into playing with him.) They have both proven they play Izzys rhythms well and a reunion doesnt hinge on them either way in my opinion.

All he's saying is both of them are equally unimportant for a reunion. But circumstances do open the door for Richard a little bit more since he's in the band for some time now and Axl trusts him.

If I had to choose one outside of Izzy it would be clearly Gilby, because to me it's more of a reunion with him. This guy played the UYI tour.

He said that Richard Fortus of all people would be the key compromise between Axl and Slash. I'm still in a state of shock over that one. Then he said Fortus is a more logical choice than Gilby for a GNR reunion tour, despite having no one to reunite with. All while saying Gilby wouldn't count due to being a "touring member" when the band was at their peak.

That's some serious mental gymnastics. Sure, we all hope that Izzy's involved if the reunion happen, but if he's not into it or whatever, Gilby's the next logical choice. You really have to bend your logic into a pretzel to say Fortus should get the nod based on anything other than "I like him!"

Fair enough. For me, if Izzy isnt involved id be fine with Gilby or Fortus (if Slash is into playing with him.) They have both proven they play Izzys rhythms well and a reunion doesnt hinge on them either way in my opinion.

Yeah, actually, I would be opposed to having Fortus as rhythm because you have Slash on lead. Would people be happy seeing Fortus covering Slash's Rocket Queen outro while Slash, the one who wrote it, is on the same stage? No. That's why I think that having Fortus would be unnecessary.

What's the point of having a skilled guitar player as Fortus playing nothing but rhythm?

He said that Richard Fortus of all people would be the key compromise between Axl and Slash. I'm still in a state of shock over that one. Then he said Fortus is a more logical choice than Gilby for a GNR reunion tour, despite having no one to reunite with. All while saying Gilby wouldn't count due to being a "touring member" when the band was at their peak.

That's some serious mental gymnastics. Sure, we all hope that Izzy's involved if the reunion happen, but if he's not into it or whatever, Gilby's the next logical choice. You really have to bend your logic into a pretzel to say Fortus should get the nod based on anything other than "I like him!"

I didn't say that. I said that in the manner of compromise, it gives Fortus an edge over any other nugnr members when considering that Slash is fine with Fortus. AND with that, it looks like he'll be an easy part of that compromise if Izzy doesn't come back. They aren't going to go to the mat over Gilby fuckin Clarke if Axl would rather keep one of his loyal guys.

I never said that Fortus was more important in a reunion than Gilby. Neither are important. Again, I will put it as simply as I can.....

If Izzy is out, whoever replaces him is likely irrelevant to the reunion itself. Therefore, it comes down to who they can agree on. Fortus is the most logical to assume they would agree on because he is the middle ground. Because? In a compromise(which the reunion will surely be), the middle ground is important.

Like I said. I question your reading ability. Free Bird understands exactly what I'm saying.

• Like 1

None of this is worth talking about though, since it's extremely unlikely that Izzy would refuse to take part in what would obviously be a limited amount of dates for a huge sum of money.

Gilby Clarke will not earn a cent out of any GNR reunion.

You're probably right. IIRC, Izzy is interested. I'm questioning whether he would be on board with a huge reunion tour, though. I think he would be down for an album but if he's not for another huge tour, it's still back to a touring replacement and that is all Gilby ever was and nothing makes him stand out as an option over Fortus anyways except for the nostalgia factor of a very small minority of fans.