Gilby Clarke on the Reunion: "I don't think it's going to happen"

I am surprised people are ragging on Gilby. I always considered him an important piece of the UYI era. That guy stepped up for the band big time. I was pumped when I saw the UYI touring lineup minus Axl reunited at the Slash Road Recovery benefit in NYC. Plus I thought it was great to see him onstage at the RNR HOF ceremony.

I won't rag on him but to say he was an important piece of the UYI era is just too much. He was a fill for Izzy. Nothing more. He didn't write a single note for the band and when the time came for them to start a new album, he was sacked by Axl. He did exactly what ANY competent guitarist could have done.

Gilby Clarke played 138 (of 194) Illusion shows which is 71% of the Use Your Illusion World Tour 1991-1993, as well as featuring on the officially released spin off films for that said tour. This would suggest he was indeed a major part of the 'UYI era'. In regards to never having written a note for the band, considering the debate seems to be between Fortus and Clarke, and considering Fortus also has never written a note for the band, that is rather an academic point.

He did NOT do anything that another competent guitarist can't do. He is not an "important piece." There is nothing he brought to GNR that is necessary for a reunion. What does he bring that is unique? Saying "he did a good job at covering Izzy and collecting a check" doesn't cut it.

Ashba covered Slash and Robin. He is not an important piece to nugnr and the CD era. Neither is Gilby for the UYI era. Just two guys in the right place at the right time to get a good paying gig.

I agree but logically there is only one important member in the slot we are discussing and that is Izzy Stradlin, since neither Gilby nor Fortus contributed material. But if we are discussing a hypothetical scenario in which Stradlin does not wish to reunite, Gilby is a more logical replacement since he was selected by Slash for 1992 and is connected with the old band era and not the new band era (which many find offensive).

So you agree that Tobias is a better choice than either Gilby or Fortus.

I am surprised people are ragging on Gilby. I always considered him an important piece of the UYI era. That guy stepped up for the band big time. I was pumped when I saw the UYI touring lineup minus Axl reunited at the Slash Road Recovery benefit in NYC. Plus I thought it was great to see him onstage at the RNR HOF ceremony.

I won't rag on him but to say he was an important piece of the UYI era is just too much. He was a fill for Izzy. Nothing more. He didn't write a single note for the band and when the time came for them to start a new album, he was sacked by Axl. He did exactly what ANY competent guitarist could have done.

Gilby Clarke played 138 (of 194) Illusion shows which is 71% of the Use Your Illusion World Tour 1991-1993, as well as featuring on the officially released spin off films for that said tour. This would suggest he was indeed a major part of the 'UYI era'. In regards to never having written a note for the band, considering the debate seems to be between Fortus and Clarke, and considering Fortus also has never written a note for the band, that is rather an academic point.

He did NOT do anything that another competent guitarist can't do. He is not an "important piece." There is nothing he brought to GNR that is necessary for a reunion. What does he bring that is unique? Saying "he did a good job at covering Izzy and collecting a check" doesn't cut it.

Ashba covered Slash and Robin. He is not an important piece to nugnr and the CD era. Neither is Gilby for the UYI era. Just two guys in the right place at the right time to get a good paying gig.

I agree but logically there is only one important member in the slot we are discussing and that is Izzy Stradlin, since neither Gilby nor Fortus contributed material. But if we are discussing a hypothetical scenario in which Stradlin does not wish to reunite, Gilby is a more logical replacement since he was selected by Slash for 1992 and is connected with the old band era and not the new band era (which many find offensive).

Many actually accept Fortus as a legit backup for Izzy. There's not much offensive about him. WTF does that even mean? How is Fortus "offensive?"

You consider Gilby a more logical replacement because Slash selected him while ignoring that Slash also wanted to play with Fortus? Fortus has actually written something for GNR when you consider this era. Despite what a reunion entails, you cannot revise history and treat nugnr as if it never existed.

And I hate to agree with anything the poster above says, he is right. Even Paul is a more logical choice than Gilby.

He was an Axl Rose collaborator. Not a Guns N' Roses collaborator.

And Gilby would be considered a Slash collaborator with zero material to show for it.

Who contributed more?

Many consider nugnr to be hacks because they are just replacements. Even YOU labeled it a hack band. Gilby contributed nothing but being hired hand also. 'Round and round we go.

Just to add:

I don't think either Gilby or Paul should be in the reunion. Their presence brings nothing in that regard. Fortus is an acceptable bridge between nugnr and the real GNR.

Izzy>Fortus>anyone(including Gilby)

Gilby worked with Slash and Matt on demos for the next GN'R album in 1994, co-writing Good to Be Alive and Dime Store Rock. Slash and Matt did not seem to envision Gilby ''as a member, but somehow less than a member'' - whatever Axl envisioned.

New gnr were hacks because they are an imposition and illegitimate.

Gilby worked with Slash and Matt on demos for the next GN'R album in 1994, co-writing Good to Be Alive and Dime Store Rock. Slash and Matt did not seem to envision Gilby ''as a member, but somehow less than a member'' - whatever Axl envisioned.

Neither Axl, Slash or Matt dictate solely who is a legitimate member. Gilby is no more a "legitimate" member than Fortus is. Considering that Fortus has contributed to this version of the band and Slash also has no problem with him, LOGICALLY he is the better choice if Izzy is out. Anything to the contrary isn't truly an objective perspective and is just to slight Fortus because he played with Axl in nugnr. Slash didn't have a problem with it.

Also, there would have to be some give and take for a reunion to happen and Fortus is the obvious choice in that regard.

Neither Axl, Slash or Matt dictate solely who is a legitimate member. Gilby is no more a "legitimate" member than Fortus is. Considering that Fortus has contributed to this version of the band and Slash also has no problem with him, LOGICALLY he is the better choice if Izzy is out. Anything to the contrary isn't truly an objective perspective and is just to slight Fortus because he played with Axl in nugnr. Slash didn't have a problem with it.

Also, there would have to be some give and take for a reunion to happen and Fortus is the obvious choice in that regard.

You are missing one important point. Tobias is connected with the end of the partnership. Clarke was recruited when the Axl-Slash-Duff partnership was still extent.

I think the point is, Gilby worked for real Guns, while Fortus worked for Axl and his ridiculous circus band.

No, I get it but there is nothing "important" about Gilby's presence. Those arguing otherwise are simply trying to revise and wipe nugnr off of the books as if it were possible.

You are missing one important point. Tobias is connected with the end of the partnership. Clarke was recruited when the Axl-Slash-Duff partnership was still extent.

I'm not missing it. It's just not relevant. The general public doesn't give a shit about any of that. Neither Gilby or Paul are an important piece to GNR. In a compromise situation(which a reunion would certainly be), Fortus is the way to go after Izzy. Slash was ok with him during the dark years and so was Axl. Fortus is the bridge.

One question: What does Gilby bring to the band that no other replacement can bring outside of the illusion and nostalgia of the UYI tour?

Why would anyone want a hack like Fortus over Gilby Clarke?

Man I hope you're kidding..

No I'm not. Fortus is a reminder to Slash etc of the hideous 'nugnr' era. He is inherently an 'Axl man'.

Slash asked Fortus to join the Conspirators a few years back, what are you talking about ?

I think Slash asked him to join Snakepit II, but Fortus was already committed to Axl's band.

I truly doubt it was for The Conspirators, but I might be wrong. Do you have a source?

Maybe you are right, I'm unsure about which band but my source is myself as I saw a Facebook post by Fortus himself a few years back replying to a dumb fan who said something along the lines of "Slash thinks all current GnR guitarists suck" with "Slash said that ? That's funny as he asked me to join his band a few years ago".

Not making that up.

The idea that Gilby was recruited as somebody who was somewhat less than a fulltime member is Axl revisionism. Gilby was marketed as a member of 'Guns N' Roses' and not merely a backing musician or Darryl Jones type character.

Guns-N-Roses-Spaghetti-Inciden-488592.jp

61eaU4oGXQL._SY355_.jpg

Further, he appeared at awards and such like as a 'Guns N' Roses' member.

I think the point is, Gilby worked for real Guns, while Fortus worked for Axl and his ridiculous circus band.

No, I get it but there is nothing "important" about Gilby's presence. Those arguing otherwise are simply trying to revise and wipe nugnr off of the books as if it were possible.

I'm not missing it. It's just not relevant. The general public doesn't give a shit about any of that. Neither Gilby or Paul are an important piece to GNR. In a compromise situation(which a reunion would certainly be), Fortus is the way to go after Izzy. Slash was ok with him during the dark years and so was Axl. Fortus is the bridge.

One question: What does Gilby bring to the band that no other replacement can bring outside of the illusion and nostalgia of the UYI tour?

He is a connection to the legitimate band and not associated with hacks and roses and was appointed by a consensus, with the band operating as a proper band, whereas there is nothing consensual about Axl's freak show. The partnership is completely relevant. Did you know that Guns were actually dissolved? A new band was created in their place which just so happens to carry the same name as the old band. Legally the band masquerading as Guns are not the same band as that which existed prior to 1995.

He is a connection to the legitimate band and not associated with hacks

The legitimate band exists with or without him. Slash and Duff are the must haves. Izzy is the bonus. The public wouldn't give two shits about Gilby being there as some sort of "legitimate" member especially considering that he never achieved that position. He, like Ashba, were nothing more than touring members. That's the reality.

and roses and was appointed by a consensus with the band operating as a proper band, whereas there is nothing consensual about Axl's freak show. The partnership is completely relevant. Did you know that Guns were actually dissolved? A new band was created in their place which just so happens to carry the same name as the old band. Legally the band masquerading as Guns are not the same band as that which existed prior to 1995.

There was never a consensus on Gilby being a fulltime member before the dissolve. Gilby knew when the last show was played that his part was done.

"He brings a (false) sense of legitimacy" doesn't quite work either. Only diehards bickering over this would give a shit. Gilby's presence doesn't make or break anything! Therefore.... NOT important.

Well by your logic the only people the public, the really casual public, care about is Axl and Slash. Stradlin contributed more in terms of songwriting than Slash did and Duff was an integral part of the sound yet the casuals barely care about those two more than they do Gilby Clarke (or for that matter Matt or Dizzy). I hope people are better informed than that.

Gilby wrote songs with Matt and Slash for a future GN'R album so presumably carried the consent of at least those two, in regards to his future participation as a contributor and not merely a performer. It is well known that Axl's dismissal of Gilby did not have Slash's or Duff's consent also.

He is a connection to the legitimate band and not associated with hacks

The legitimate band exists with or without him. Slash and Duff are the must haves. Izzy is the bonus. The public wouldn't give two shits about Gilby being there as some sort of "legitimate" member especially considering that he never achieved that position. He, like Ashba, were nothing more than touring members. That's the reality.

and roses and was appointed by a consensus with the band operating as a proper band, whereas there is nothing consensual about Axl's freak show. The partnership is completely relevant. Did you know that Guns were actually dissolved? A new band was created in their place which just so happens to carry the same name as the old band. Legally the band masquerading as Guns are not the same band as that which existed prior to 1995.

There was never a consensus on Gilby being a fulltime member before the dissolve. Gilby knew when the last show was played that his part was done.

"He brings a (false) sense of legitimacy" doesn't quite work either. Only diehards bickering over this would give a shit. Gilby's presence doesn't make or break anything! Therefore.... NOT important.

So you want to see Fortus playing Slash's solo's infront of Slash and Slash will be just standing and watching? Come on man, I really don't get this thing being so agaisnt Gilby, I am not against Fortus, he is talented, he can compose amazing songs, he is more talented than Gilby, but if we are talking about a reunion, then as a fan of fortus you want him to just stand there and not play some lead stuff?

There was never a place for 2 Lead Guitarists in GN'R. I really wanted to see Bucket playing more lead than Robin.

Who wants to see a Frankenstein hybrid, half-way house, ''reunion''? Everybody agrees here that Stradlin is first choice but if you cannot get him and get Gilby you are at least reuniting to 1992-93 era. A ''reunion'' with Fortus would not be a reunion. It would be a line-up that has never existed before.

• Like 1

Who wants to see a Frankenstein hybrid, half-way house, ''reunion''? Everybody agrees here that Stradlin is first choice but if you cannot get him and get Gilby you are at least reuniting to 1992-93 era. A ''reunion'' with Fortus would not be a reunion. It would be a line-up that has never existed before.

It's purism for the sake of purism.

Reunions are inherently puristic. They usually entail recreating a line-up that has existed formally. Since there has never been such thing as an Axl, Slash, Duff, Fortus, Sorum/Adler line-up, labeling it a 'reunion' would be a piece of nonsense. A reunion of what exactly?

Well by your logic the only people the public, the really casual public, care about is Axl and Slash. Stradlin contributed more in terms of songwriting than Slash did and Duff was an integral part of the sound yet the casuals barely care about those two more than they do Gilby Clarke (or for that matter Matt or Dizzy). I hope people are better informed than that.

Gilby wrote songs with Matt and Slash for a future GN'R album so presumably carried the consent of at least those two, in regards to his future participation as a contributor and not merely a performer. It is well known that Axl's dismissal of Gilby did not have Slash's or Duff's consent also.

The reality is that the public only thinks of Axl and Slash. Duff possibly but that's just how it is. Tyler/Perry. Jagger/Richards. Plant/Page. It is what it is. No one gives a crap about whether Gilby is included. lol

So you want to see Fortus playing Slash's solo's infront of Slash and Slash will be just standing and watching?

wut?

I said nothing of the sort. Who said Fortus would be playing Slash's solos?

The reality is that the public only thinks of Axl and Slash. Duff possibly but that's just how it is. Tyler/Perry. Jagger/Richards. Plant/Page. It is what it is. No one gives a crap about whether Gilby is included. lol

You are just discussing the uber casuals. Do you honestly believe Axl, Slash and a bunch of random guys would carry enough legitimacy to be labelled a 'reunion', be marketed a 'reunion' tour? How is Slash supposed to 'reunite' with Fortus when he has never formally played with him? Come on, sort this stuff out in your head! We are discussing a reunion here which presupposes people who have formally played together.