Gilby Clarke on the Reunion: "I don't think it's going to happen"

The only people that know anything are Duff, Axl and Slash. Anyone else is irrelevant. If the reunion is being put together it is in very early stages, the leaks will happen when they start booking venues. The only way to keep this a secret is to keep it between Axl, Slash and Duff.

..and Izzy and MATT!

Matt is the first one who pointed something out.

The only people that know anything are Duff, Axl and Slash. Anyone else is irrelevant. If the reunion is being put together it is in very early stages, the leaks will happen when they start booking venues. The only way to keep this a secret is to keep it between Axl, Slash and Duff.

..and Izzy and MATT!

Matt is the first one who pointed something out.

He did? When?

Are u referring to that "great news coming soon" thing on the Kings of Chaos page from last year? Pretty sure that was just meant for the announcement of the new KoC line-up at the time with Steve Tyler. Keep in mind he said something like "a band that only KoC will come closest to." And he just hashtagged all the UYI guys cause they were in the pic and that's how he likes to hashtag things.

Are you referring to something else he said tho?

Edited by rocknroll41

I am surprised people are ragging on Gilby. I always considered him an important piece of the UYI era. That guy stepped up for the band big time. I was pumped when I saw the UYI touring lineup minus Axl reunited at the Slash Road Recovery benefit in NYC. Plus I thought it was great to see him onstage at the RNR HOF ceremony.

I am surprised people are ragging on Gilby. I always considered him an important piece of the UYI era. That guy stepped up for the band big time. I was pumped when I saw the UYI touring lineup minus Axl reunited at the Slash Road Recovery benefit in NYC. Plus I thought it was great to see him onstage at the RNR HOF ceremony.

I won't rag on him but to say he was an important piece of the UYI era is just too much. He was a fill for Izzy. Nothing more. He didn't write a single note for the band and when the time came for them to start a new album, he was sacked by Axl. He did exactly what ANY competent guitarist could have done.

• Like 2

Why would anyone want a hack like Fortus over Gilby Clarke?

Man I hope you're kidding..

No I'm not. Fortus is a reminder to Slash etc of the hideous 'nugnr' era. He is inherently an 'Axl man'. If you are doing a reunion then do it right and sweep away the garbage hack era. Gilby recorded a studio album and was chosen by Slash. He toured with the old band behind one of the old band's albums so therefore at least carries a connection with that era.

So Slash might get a sore ass if Fortus is around to remind him that Axl's band used to exist? That's your reason? :lol:

In a sense, yes. Why would anyone want to combine leeches with a reunited line-up like some freakish Frankenstein monster hybrid. i do not want to see any of these nugnr wankers near legends like Slash and Duff. Slash has never played with Fortus. Why should he be expected to play with somebody he has never played with?

You know he wanted Fortus to play with him right?

I'd much prefer Richard than Gilby. He's part of the CD era and wether you like it or not, the era is part of GNR's history.

Duff had no issue playing with the current lineup either.

No I'm not. Fortus is a reminder to Slash etc of the hideous 'nugnr' era. He is inherently an 'Axl man'. If you are doing a reunion then do it right and sweep away the garbage hack era. Gilby recorded a studio album and was chosen by Slash. He toured with the old band behind one of the old band's albums so therefore at least carries a connection with that era.

So Slash might get a sore ass if Fortus is around to remind him that Axl's band used to exist? That's your reason? :lol:

In a sense, yes. Why would anyone want to combine leeches with a reunited line-up like some freakish Frankenstein monster hybrid. i do not want to see any of these nugnr wankers near legends like Slash and Duff. Slash has never played with Fortus. Why should he be expected to play with somebody he has never played with?

You know he wanted Fortus to play with him right?

I'd much prefer Richard than Gilby. He's part of the CD era and wether you like it or not, the era is part of GNR's history.

Duff had no issue playing with the current lineup either.

Actually the CD era isn't part of GNR's history. Well, it is but isn't part of THAT GNR. It's part of Axl's solo band. And that's a fact, not an opinion.

Gilroy's probably just a little bit butt hurt to have been left out of the reunion talks... He's pretty much irrelevant for a reunion - it's ALL about Axl & Slash for the general public and add Duff for the casual fan. Everyone else is irrelevant but to the hard core fans like us.

Honest question: which are Izzy's own solo?

Think about you

I guess the first solo of Nightrain

he did compose the Riff of Out Ta Get Me, not sure about the Solo.

Izzy's the first half of Nightrains solo
Does Izzy play part of the Back off Bitch solo on the record?

I don't think so. He must play the lick before the end of the song but I can't tell you for sure.

gilby says he sees slash all the time (and duff) yet he has no idea axl and slash have talked?

he's either keeping his mouth shut or out of the loop.

it's not really his place to break any of that kind of news and it seems he knows it, which is smart on his part.

at this point i wouldn't really think he's in the running to get a call anyway IF it did happen.

gilby says he sees slash all the time (and duff) yet he has no idea axl and slash have talked?

it's not really his place to break any of that kind of news and it seems he knows it, which is smart on his part.

at this point i wouldn't really think he's in the running to get a call anyway IF it did happen.

Gilby and Axl were not buddies buddies, Slash is a good friend, but man Slash won't go to everyone and say "HEY DUDE I TALKED TO AXL".

IF it happened, then its a thing between Slash and Axl.

No I'm not. Fortus is a reminder to Slash etc of the hideous 'nugnr' era. He is inherently an 'Axl man'.

Slash asked Fortus to join the Conspirators a few years back, what are you talking about ?

I think Slash asked him to join Snakepit II, but Fortus was already committed to Axl's band.

I truly doubt it was for The Conspirators, but I might be wrong. Do you have a source?

Gilby and Axl were not buddies buddies, Slash is a good friend, but man Slash won't go to everyone and say "HEY DUDE I TALKED TO AXL".

Fair enough, but since they share that connection you think it might get brought up. I'm not saying they sit around and talk about GNR all day like us nuts, but you know it has been talked about in the past. There's no IF it happened- it would have been shot down by now IF they hadn't talked.

Anyhow IF a reunion is rolling he's probably 3rd or 4th down the list to be offered. You know somebody ahead of him is going to jump on that gravy train. Perhaps he'll do a few guest appearances? Perhaps there will never be a reunion.

Fair enough, but since they share that connection you think it might get brought up. I'm not saying they sit around and talk about GNR all day like us nuts, but you know it has been talked about in the past. There's no IF it happened- it would have been shot down by now IF they hadn't talked.

Anyhow IF a reunion is rolling he's probably 3rd or 4th down the list to be offered. You know somebody ahead of him is going to jump on that gravy train. Perhaps he'll do a few guest appearances? Perhaps there will never be a reunion.

TBH Slash and Duff have more chances of talking about this Axl thing than Slash talking to Gilby, but I doubt Duff and Slash talk about GNR or Axl. Do you think Duff would have told about his recent meetings to Slash, I know Slash won't get pissed, but I doubt they talk about it, like I can imagine Matt saying to duff that dude how was it to be with Axl again or something.

And in terms on being shot down, well we are talking about Guns N' Roses here, Axl won't talk about anything regarding to it or his band, which is not a big surprise, but it will be good if Slash clarifies a few things, like really man this thing has been blown up so much.

I won't rag on him but to say he was an important piece of the UYI era is just too much. He was a fill for Izzy. Nothing more. He didn't write a single note for the band and when the time came for them to start a new album, he was sacked by Axl. He did exactly what ANY competent guitarist could have done.

My point is moreso that Gilby was able to step in last minute to fill Izzy's shoes. The guy looked the part and was able to learn all of Izzy's parts on a tight schedule. He also stuck out that entire tour with them. I know that he would have been a fool to leave GNR, but finding some one to fill in effectively for Izzy and put up with the dysfunction of that entire band is no small feat. Without him who knows if we would have had the UYI tour.

My point is moreso that Gilby was able to step in last minute to fill Izzy's shoes. The guy looked the part and was able to learn all of Izzy's parts on a tight schedule. He also stuck out that entire tour with them. I know that he would have been a fool to leave GNR, but finding some one to fill in effectively for Izzy and put up with the dysfunction of that entire band is no small feat. Without him who knows if we would have had the UYI tour.

I really like Gilby, but I won't say that IF the legendary Gilby was not there then we would not have the illusions tour, they could have called another guitar player? lol

But when it comes to a reunion, I would rather see Gilby than Fortus, but of course my first choice would be Izzy.

Also not to rag on Izzy, it isn't like his parts are hard to play. It's a lot easier to cover someone than it is to write it yourself. I don't dislike Gilby but he was never an "important piece." If we're going to say Gilby is necessary then we as well say Tracy and Roberta are necessary since they were an important piece as backing vocals for the UYI tour.

It's not surprising for them to be able to find a competent guitarist to learn Izzy's parts and overlook the band drama for that huge payday. Money can make you ignore a lot of crazy shit.

Gilby Clarke played 138 (of 194) Illusion shows which is 71% of the Use Your Illusion World Tour 1991-1993, as well as featuring on the officially released spin off films for that said tour. This would suggest he was indeed a major part of the 'UYI era'. In regards to never having written a note for the band, considering the debate seems to be between Fortus and Clarke, and considering Fortus also has never written a note for the band, that is rather an academic point.

• Like 1

Gilby Clarke played 138 (of 194) Illusion shows which is 71% of the Use Your Illusion World Tour 1991-1993, as well as featuring on the officially released spin off films for that said tour. This would suggest he was indeed a major part of the 'UYI era'. In regards to never having written a note for the band, considering the debate seems to be between Fortus and Clarke, and considering Fortus also has never written a note for the band, that is rather an academic point.

He did NOT do anything that another competent guitarist can't do. He is not an "important piece." There is nothing he brought to GNR that is necessary for a reunion. What does he bring that is unique? Saying "he did a good job at covering Izzy and collecting a check" doesn't cut it.

Ashba covered Slash and Robin. He is not an important piece to nugnr and the CD era. Neither is Gilby for the UYI era. Just two guys in the right place at the right time to get a good paying gig.

Edited by Rustycage
  • Like 1

He did NOT do anything that another competent guitarist can't do. He is not an "important piece." There is nothing he brought to GNR that is necessary for a reunion. What does he bring that is unique? Saying "he did a good job at covering Izzy and collecting a check" doesn't cut it.

Ashba covered Slash and Robin. He is not an important piece to nugnr and the CD era. Neither is Gilby for the UYI era. Just two guys in the right place at the right time to get a good paying gig.

I agree but logically there is only one important member in the slot we are discussing and that is Izzy Stradlin, since neither Gilby nor Fortus contributed material. But if we are discussing a hypothetical scenario in which Stradlin does not wish to reunite, Gilby is a more logical replacement since he was selected by Slash for 1992 and is connected with the old band era and not the new band era (which many find offensive).